The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default The Economy and the Broncos

I can find all sorts of articles and blogs about it on the net but I haven't seen it referred to much on the Mane. Do we really think this offseason will be like all the others before? After all, team owners are businessmen and they are still dealing with a bottom line. I believe most of Bowlen's business is tied up in real estate. He must be getting some ugly numbers right now. Who's to say that all these cuts, including Shanahan, haven't been based more on money than any performance related issues?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/127025
http://www.oliverwillis.com/2009/01/...my-vs-the-nfl/
http://www.thebusinessofsports.com/2...d-the-economy/
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/14/econ...nd-salary-cap/
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I am contemplating missing my first home opener in many years in 2009. No summer vacation, already made that decision, but may have to axe the Denver trip too. Luckily I still have a job, but the outlook for our economy doesn't look good, and the old saying "a penney saved is a penny earned" is sounding more and more true right now, for everyone!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I've been thinking of a few scenarios. Imagine taking the Mike Tice example to the extreme? For the first time ever, maybe we see the Detroit Lions just sit on their hands and let the #1 pick go by until about the 10th pick, then they make their selection? That would save them about twenty mil. Lord knows, Ford could use it.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

not that it will affect his "bottom line", but he's getting $2500 less from me this season.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
not that it will affect his "bottom line", but he's getting $2500 less from me this season.
Saving several grand myself dude. $200 for a pair of tix, and probably another $100 once inside the stadium/getting to the stadium, etc... especially if I decide to have a few drinks. Home opener is really expensive. New Broncos jersey, jackets, etc. Not this year, not for me anyhow!!!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I can find all sorts of articles and blogs about it on the net but I haven't seen it referred to much on the Mane. Do we really think this offseason will be like all the others before? After all, team owners are businessmen and they are still dealing with a bottom line. I believe most of Bowlen's business is tied up in real estate. He must be getting some ugly numbers right now. Who's to say that all these cuts, including Shanahan, haven't been based more on money than any performance related issues?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/127025
http://www.oliverwillis.com/2009/01/...my-vs-the-nfl/
http://www.thebusinessofsports.com/2...d-the-economy/
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/14/econ...nd-salary-cap/
I think there were many things that went into Bowlen's change of heart and direction this year. But the bottom line was his competitive nature. He wants to win, he wants a superbowl. The franchise had indeed stagnated. Many will criticize him, or "wait and see," but I think it was a bold move at the right time. He gets to fix his finances, and hopefully fix the team
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Saving several grand myself dude. $200 for a pair of tix, and probably another $100 once inside the stadium/getting to the stadium, etc... especially if I decide to have a few drinks. Home opener is really expensive. New Broncos jersey, jackets, etc. Not this year, not for me anyhow!!!
You giving up all of yours?

I decided to "drop" 4 of mine and one parking pass. I'm keeping my lower level and one pair in the upper stands.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Meck77

I hear ya nut. I made the mistake of buying extra seats in the past and "eating" tix or expecting someone to pay something close to face value. Half price seats for me or I'll scalp one for 20 bones on the way in next season.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I hear ya nut. I made the mistake of buying extra seats in the past and "eating" tix or expecting someone to pay something close to face value. Half price seats for me or I'll scalp one for 20 bones on the way in next season.
I was offered a single seat in the lower bowl (4 rows behind my current seats), bit I doubt I'll take the offer. I'll still have enough for my family to attend, but it sounds like quite a few "regulars" are calling it quits. I know that out of my "regular entourage", two of my friend are giving up on 4 tix each, plus my 4 (there's a dozen who have attended "religiously).
Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

There's a good chance I'll be unemployed next month so making every home game will obviously be out.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I think there were many things that went into Bowlen's change of heart and direction this year. But the bottom line was his competitive nature. He wants to win, he wants a superbowl. The franchise had indeed stagnated. Many will criticize him, or "wait and see," but I think it was a bold move at the right time. He gets to fix his finances, and hopefully fix the team
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Going to games was already out for me. Now the new 50" plasma is out as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

I've gotta go, the "orange RV looks out of place at Camp sites.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

The Shannahan move had ZERO to do with a cash bottom line as he still owes the entire contract value to Shanny, unless it is offset, but it won't be, at least this year.

Actually a large part of Pat Bowlen's worth is tied up in the Broncos, so he has motivation to keep things profitable for sure.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote