The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default More Cuts Coming...

Broncos expected to have nearly $50m in cap room when all is said and done.

Some restructures expected. Belief is that Dre was approached about a restructure thus the delay.

Boss Bailey, Daniel Graham, and (surprise here) DJ Williams are not safe on this roster. If DJ goes SoCal will have an epic meltdown. I'm actually somewhat concerned for his well being at this point... or those around him (I kid). DJ will first be approached with a restructure. I hope he accepts!

Champ Bailey is the only one that is safe on defense right now. Expectation is 9 new starters on defense.

Unsure about Moss, Doom, and Ekuban.

All of this from Lombardi this evening.

My thoughts... we're going to be running a brand new system on defense, might as well clean the closet and start fresh. Sad that we possibly have two returning players from last year's squad. I'm not sure there are enough free agents out there to fill a roster at this point!!! lol

Some money will be put aside for the offensive guys coming due. BMarsh, Jay, Kupe, and Scheff will need new contracts soon. Personally, I say get BMarsh's done now and maybe you get a little bit of a break on total $$$ and you don't have to compete with him on the open market in a open cap year!!!

Last edited by Broncoman13; 02-17-2009 at 09:39 PM..
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

You can't throw out the baby with the bath water. They haven't even seen these guys on a football field in a practice.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

dam
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Was Lombardi on NFL Network Oskie?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
You can't throw out the baby with the bath water. They haven't even seen these guys on a football field in a practice.
Apparently if you can prove that the baby is not yours and that the baby isn't worth saving, Pat Bowlen is okay with it. It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of moves the Broncos make. $50m in cap room is a lot of money. Bowlen does not (DOES NOT!!!) have the cash on hand to pay out bonuses though. We won't spend to the cap this year, but we could still make a few big time signings. I'm guessing Bart Scott and Julius Peppers... if DJ doesn't restructure. If he does then it will be (gulp) Olshansky and Peppers. Don't kill the messenger, I hate Igor as much as any Bronco fan! Canty will get too much $$$ and Olshansky fills a big need.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Was Lombardi on NFL Network Oskie?
No, the fan
Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

The Colonel is making me nervous.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

9 new starters huh? So much for next year.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
yerner
Ring of Famer

dear gawd, what is going on? i'll be bummed to see Graham or DJ go.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Apparently if you can prove that the baby is not yours and that the baby isn't worth saving, Pat Bowlen is okay with it. It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of moves the Broncos make. $50m in cap room is a lot of money. Bowlen does not (DOES NOT!!!) have the cash on hand to pay out bonuses though. We won't spend to the cap this year, but we could still make a few big time signings. I'm guessing Bart Scott and Julius Peppers... if DJ doesn't restructure. If he does then it will be (gulp) Olshansky and Peppers. Don't kill the messenger, I hate Igor as much as any Bronco fan! Canty will get too much $$$ and Olshansky fills a big need.
I think he'll do what beliehit did when he came to new england an sign a bunch of low end free agents.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Time for some good ol accountability, if you don't play at a high level you're gone. I like it.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Some restructures expected. Belief is that Dre was approached about a restructure thus the delay.

Boss Bailey, Daniel Graham, and (surprise here) DJ Williams are not safe on this roster. If DJ goes SoCal will have an epic meltdown. I'm actually somewhat concerned for his well being at this point... or those around him (I kid). DJ will first be approached with a restructure. I hope he accepts!

Champ Bailey is the only one that is safe on defense right now. Expectation is 9 new starters on defense.

My thoughts... we're going to be running a brand new system on defense, might as well clean the closet and start fresh. Sad that we possibly have two returning players from last year's squad. I'm not sure there are enough free agents out there to fill a roster at this point!!! lol

Some money will be put aside for the offensive guys coming due. BMarsh, Jay, Kupe, and Scheff will need new contracts soon. Personally, I say get BMarsh's done now and maybe you get a little bit of a break on total $$$ and you don't have to compete with him on the open market in a open cap year!!!
agreed.

also, we might get away with a little bit of a low offer. technically he produces like a top 5 receiver, but he still drops a lot of passes and has a couple questions regarding his hand. get it done now while we can still low ball him a little, instead of waiting a year and risk losing him to the lure of FA money and having to pay him as much as he is actually worth.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I'll believe Igor Olshansky in a Broncos uniform when I actually lay eyes upon it, not until. No way that guy ends up in Denver.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
9 new starters huh? So much for next year.
The only Week 1 starters I would want back are Champ and DJ. Doom too though I don't think he started.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think he'll do what beliehit did when he came to new england an sign a bunch of low end free agents.
That's what I'm afraid of... But, I'm holding out hope for Peppers still! One player that can get 15+sacks and pressure consistently makes EVERYONE on the defense better. The LB's coverage suddenly improves. Safety and CB play improves. And as someone like Peppers draws the extra attention, opportunities open for the other guys to excel. I also expect the Broncos to bring in an aging McCallister for a look. He is a Nolan guy and we suddenly have a BIG need at CB.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I'll believe Igor Olshansky in a Broncos uniform when I actually lay eyes upon it, not until. No way that guy ends up in Denver.
I hope you're right. If he comes to Denver it would be pathetic. Our OL would hate it, that's for sure! Anything is possible though, new regime and he's looking to stick it to the Chargers.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i hate players from the AFC West if they don't play in Denver, but once they put on the blue and orange, they become Broncos and the hatred fades, and once they get their first big play as a Bronco, the hatred is completely gone.

so if we do end up with Igor, i will be ok with it in time, plus he would fill a need.

also i can't see us going after Peppers. to get him more than likely it will require trading with Carolina, because they are going to franchise him. no way in hell will they just let him leave without getting anything for him. and the asking price for him will be way too high for just 1 guy, and then to sign him long term will be an unbelievably high contract.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
That's what I'm afraid of... But, I'm holding out hope for Peppers still! One player that can get 15+sacks and pressure consistently makes EVERYONE on the defense better. The LB's coverage suddenly improves. Safety and CB play improves. And as someone like Peppers draws the extra attention, opportunities open for the other guys to excel. I also expect the Broncos to bring in an aging McCallister for a look. He is a Nolan guy and we suddenly have a BIG need at CB.
I think McCallister is a target now as well. Still I hate cutting Bly. We don't save anymone by cutting him now and I would much rather see Bly, Bailey and McCallister as are starting three CBs.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
The only Week 1 starters I would want back are Champ and DJ. Doom too though I don't think he started.
Doom started all season. i would really like him to come back, as i truly think he could become a star as a 3-4 OLB pass rusher.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #20
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
I hope you're right. If he comes to Denver it would be pathetic. Our OL would hate it, that's for sure! Anything is possible though, new regime and he's looking to stick it to the Chargers.
Oh, if the numbers are right, he'll be in Denver, afterall, he's just a merc like the rest of these players no matter what they say publically. I just don't see it happening is all.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

MCD and X are fools if they think everyone will restructure. for **** sakes we have to field a team with all the cuts they are making we might not even field a 6 man team.

MCD you cannot do this all in one year. you cannot expect to find talent in just one year.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Boss is gone. Graham will probably restructure, because there is no chance in hell does he gets another deal like Shanahan gave him, and DJ, i imagine will also restructure, because he isn't really a great LB, awesome athlete, but just an ok LB, and he won't get another contract like his current one.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
MCD and X are fools if they think everyone will restructure. for **** sakes we have to field a team with all the cuts they are making we might not even field a 6 man team.

MCD you cannot do this all in one year. you cannot expect to find talent in just one year.
dude, relax. none of us have any idea what hes actually planning. from what it looks, hes cutting the dead weight of the team and saving a ton of salary cap doing it so him and nolan can start over on defense. thats a good thing.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post

why not? figure that, Champ, Thomas, Peterson(we need to re-sign him), Doom, and DJ are still starting next season. that means 6 new starters. it isn't out of the question we get 3-4 new starters in FA, and 2 or maybe 3 more in the draft, to fill out the starting lineup. add in that we will bring in some low end cheap FA for depth and the fact that we have 9 picks in the draft. and it isn't out of the question that the entire defense can be blown up and rebuilt in 1 offseason.

look at the Dolphins, they righted themselves in 1 year. it is the NFL and anything can happen.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
dude, relax. none of us have any idea what hes actually planning. from what it looks, hes cutting the dead weight of the team and saving a ton of salary cap doing it so him and nolan can start over on defense. thats a good thing.
I understand jsut about ever cut, but bly. He was a decent starter. i think if he had a safety over the top of him, he is that much better. If you are gonna lose money cutting him you might as well keep him. cut him the following season and try to bring someone in to replace him. i am sure there are alot of factors why he was cut. i just dont think it was such a good thing to cut everyone the first year.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote