The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default NFL.com Mock Draft

1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford QB, Georgia
The Lions shouldn't rush Stafford into the starting lineup unless they discover a running game.

2. St. Louis Rams - Andre Smith OT, Alabama
The Rams' biggest goal is to get bigger up front. At 340 pounds, Smith meets the criteria.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - Aaron Curry LB, Wake Forest
The Chiefs need a hyper-competitive baller to wake up a slumbering defense.

4. Seattle Seahawks - B.J. Raji DT, Boston College
A receiver is needed, but this is a better fit because the Seahawks have to regain their defensive swagger.

5. Cleveland Browns - Malcolm Jenkins CB, Ohio State
New Browns head coach Eric Mangini and new general manager George Kokinis came from franchises with solid cover corners who were physical tacklers.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Jason Smith OT, Baylor
Smith's toughness and athleticism are what the Bengals need on the offensive line.

7. Oakland Raiders - Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech
Crabtree's sure hands and solid fundamentals are needed to help bring along QB JaMarcus Russell.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia
Addressing the depleted offensive line is a must, and Monroe likely won't be the only blocker drafted.

9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Cushing LB, USC
Switching to a 3-4 defense calls for a versatile OLB who can bring it with the rush and hold the edge against the run.

10. San Francisco 49ers - Mark Sanchez QB, USC The 49ers could go a lot of ways, but grooming Sanchez in a run-first offense is a safe call.

11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma State
Pettigrew can do it all, which could help open up an offense in need of diversity.

12. Denver Broncos - Rey Maualuga LB, USC
The Broncos have to toughen up the run defense, and this bell-ringer in the middle would help.

13. Washington Redskins - Brian Orakpo DE/LB, Texas
Orakpo is solid in all phases and could provide the much-needed edge pass rush.

14. New Orleans Saints - Vontae Davis CB, Illinois
The Saints also could opt for an athletic OLB who can rush the passer.

15. Houston Texans - Aaron Maybin DE/LB, Penn State
The athletic, undersized pass rusher can be moved around and allow for some creative scheming.

16. San Diego Chargers - Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia
Even if Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson are there, Moreno is too special to pass up in the short and long terms.

17. New York Jets - James Laurinaitis LB, Ohio State
New Jets head coach Rex Ryan loves LBs who can get to the ball, and Laurinaitis certainly can do that.

18. Chicago Bears - Tyson Jackson DE, LSU
Jackson isn't an ideal pass rusher, but he is a stout run defender who can keep blockers off LBs.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Peria Jerry DT, Mississippi
The Bucs desperately need to address this position to improve their run defense.

20. Detroit Lions - Michael Oher OT, Mississippi
If the Lions draft Stafford, they better build a line to protect him.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Chris Wells RB, Ohio State
The Eagles would love to land an OT like Oher. If he is gone, Wells would be a great Plan B.

22. Minnesota Vikings - Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri
The do-it-all threat would ease the burden on Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson and RB Adrian Peterson and add to the return game.

23. New England Patriots - Louis Delmas S, Western Michigan
It's time for the Patriots to replenish this position, and Delmas could be the next Bob Sanders -- with coverage skills.

24. Atlanta Falcons - Larry English DE/LB, Northern Illinois
This high-motor player fills need at OLB and situational pass rusher opposite John Abraham.

25. Miami Dolphins - Everette Brown DE/LB, Florida State
Brown is a ridiculous pass rusher who's somewhat of a 'tweener,' but he can bring heat off the edge.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Alphonso Smith CB, Wake Forest
The Ravens love playmakers, and Smith's 21 interceptions in college and his penchant to hit offset his lack of height (5-foot-9).

27. Indianapolis Colts - Percy Harvin WR, Florida
Ideally, the Colts would love a DT here, but Harvin could replenish the potential loss of Marvin Harrison.

28. Philadelphia Eagles - Eben Britton - OT, Arizona
This could be considered a reach, but the Eagles need to inject youth into both tackle spots.

29. New York Giants - Hakeem Nicks WR, North Carolina
This big receiver eventually could fill the role of Plaxico Burress or Amani Toomer, especially as a red-zone threat.

30. Tennessee Titans - D.J. Moore CB, Vanderbilt
The local product fits the model of a play-making CB with good ball skills. He's also a kick returner.

31. Arizona Cardinals - LeSean McCoy RB, Pittsburgh
McCoy is a tough, shifty runner who also can catch the ball. He's a perfect fit for the Cardinals' scheme.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Max Unger C, Oregon
His high intelligence and toughness could result in Unger starting right away. He has played every OL spot.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...s&confirm=true

Last edited by montrose; 02-17-2009 at 08:30 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Did you mean to link to the Bly thread or did you want to link to the taking Cushing at #12 thread?

Anyway, surprising to see Maclin far so far in this mock, and to see Cushing make such a high jump up to the Packers at #9.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

CBF1 loves a mock draft
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Wow. What happen to Brown. He just dropped in that draft.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Much better.

Rey comes to town and Raji goes to a 4-3 team where he can actually be a professional football player.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

That was a total shakeup from recent mocks i've seen - and we haven't even had the combine yet.

Where to start?
at 7 - I just don't know Cable yet. This wouldn't be a bad move, but staking your first year of head coaching on a first round receiver is pretty risky - See Cam Cameron.
at 9 - The Packers take Cushing at 9? It could happen, but I just don't see it. They have some decent LB's already. I would see Orakpo being a much better choice for their switch to the 3-4.
at 15 - the Texans have other needs besides a tweener for pass rushing. Their D-line isn't really their weakness. Kubiak's main issue is that he rolled the dice on Matt Schwab and it hasn't really paid off. If he doesn't get QB fixed this year, he might be cooked by next season.
at 16 - Moreno isn't my favorite RB, but I won't be happy if the Chargers get him. They would be crazy to pay Sproles, LT, and spend a first rounder on Moreno though.
at 18 - I don't know how Tyson Jackson fits the Bears scheme at all. He's a tough guy, but almost too big to be a 4-3 end.
at 21 - does Wells look like an Eagles RB at all? Maybe they change up their gameplan, but I thought they liked guys who had great hands and made people miss in open space. A big, physical power runner just doesn't fit their mold (of the past 6-8 years). Especially with this mock putting Maclin as the next pick. McNabb would turn Maclin into an all pro.
at 23 - I won't be surprised to see Delmas make it into the first round, but I imagined him as an Eagle with the 28 pick.
finally, at 31 - I don't see the Cardinals taking McCoy. If they proved anything last year, they can find a decent RB without breaking the bank. Hightower did great, they can add more depth in later rounds.

Just my take.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
That was a total shakeup from recent mocks i've seen - and we haven't even had the combine yet.

Where to start?
at 7 - I just don't know Cable yet. This wouldn't be a bad move, but staking your first year of head coaching on a first round receiver is pretty risky - See Cam Cameron.
at 9 - The Packers take Cushing at 9? It could happen, but I just don't see it. They have some decent LB's already. I would see Orakpo being a much better choice for their switch to the 3-4.
at 15 - the Texans have other needs besides a tweener for pass rushing. Their D-line isn't really their weakness. Kubiak's main issue is that he rolled the dice on Matt Schwab and it hasn't really paid off. If he doesn't get QB fixed this year, he might be cooked by next season.
at 16 - Moreno isn't my favorite RB, but I won't be happy if the Chargers get him. They would be crazy to pay Sproles, LT, and spend a first rounder on Moreno though.
at 18 - I don't know how Tyson Jackson fits the Bears scheme at all. He's a tough guy, but almost too big to be a 4-3 end.
at 21 - does Wells look like an Eagles RB at all? Maybe they change up their gameplan, but I thought they liked guys who had great hands and made people miss in open space. A big, physical power runner just doesn't fit their mold (of the past 6-8 years). Especially with this mock putting Maclin as the next pick. McNabb would turn Maclin into an all pro.
at 23 - I won't be surprised to see Delmas make it into the first round, but I imagined him as an Eagle with the 28 pick.
finally, at 31 - I don't see the Cardinals taking McCoy. If they proved anything last year, they can find a decent RB without breaking the bank. Hightower did great, they can add more depth in later rounds.

Just my take.

You're certainly right in that the majority of the mock is silly.

Green Bay taking Cushing while Everette Brown is not only still on the board, but available at 25?!

Regardless, Denver's pick is hot, and Raji needs to go to a 4-3 team.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
U4EA
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

Where to start?

Just my take.
The Raiders would definitely grab Crabtree with both hands if he fell to 7th.

If healthy, Wells goes before Moreno. And if San Diego holds onto both Sproles and LT...?
U4EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Denver looks to be in a perfect position to get an additional 2nd rounder if we want and still get some good talent in the 1st if we want to trade back.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

What do people feel is the over and under on Laurinaitis?

As high as? or as low as?
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Interesting observations:

Brian Cushing, LB, USC going at 9.

Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State all the way up to 11.

Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan moving up to 23.

Everette Brown, DE/LB, Florida State falling to 25.

Eben Britton, OT, Arizona going at 28.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Interesting observations:

Brian Cushing, LB, USC going at 9.

Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State all the way up to 11.

Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan moving up to 23.

Everette Brown, DE/LB, Florida State falling to 25.

Eben Britton, OT, Arizona going at 28.
I could see Cushings going there.

Brown won't fall that far imo unless he runs a 5.9 in the 40.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
What do people feel is the over and under on Laurinaitis?

As high as? or as low as?
as a pick for us, or just in general?

for us, i don't think he would provide much of an upgrade at the ILB position

in general, he's a guy i could see falling out of the 1st all together. as Matthews, Cushing and Sintim are getting notice, everything has been quiet about Laurinitis.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Rey has become the consensus Broncos pick lately. Most mocks agree pretty well on which 11 players go ahead of us and that often leaves us with a choice of Rey Maualua, a reach for Tyson Jackson or a RB.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Rey has become the consensus Broncos pick lately. Most mocks agree pretty well on which 11 players go ahead of us and that often leaves us with a choice of Rey Maualua, a reach for Tyson Jackson or a RB.
If that's the choices... Trade down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBronc View Post
If that's the choices... Trade down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure there is a player usually available there who a team will want enough to trade up for. Seems like a bit of a hole, value wise. Of course, that will probably change after this week.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: