The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Default Ot--guns!!!

Ok all of you Gun fanatics--I could use your help. I am wanting to purchase two handguns/revolvers one for me and one for my wife. Ideally, I am looking for a higher end name brand gun manufacturer with a proven track record on safety and performance. I would like to get each one fitted with a laser grip/sight such as the one pictured below. This gun will be used for general protection in my home. Should I go with a 9mm or a .22? I truly am a novice when it comes to guns and besides firing an M16 in USAF basic training 11 years ago, I have no experience with weapons.Any help that you all could lend or any websites that you feel would be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Gracias!
Attached Images

broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like the 41 caliber.

http://www.hk-usa.com/

http://www.colt.com/

http://www.sigsauer.com/

This is a great site.

http://gunbroker.com/

Remember folks guns can be used agaisnt you if you have them. and if you lock them up. it might be to slow to remove the lock.

I highly suggest Mace.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Get a shotgun. What good is home defense when bullet goes through the wall and hits someone in the next room.

I have 2 handguns and a shotgun. If someone came in my home I know what I would be grabbing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I like the 41 caliber.

http://www.hk-usa.com/

http://www.colt.com/

http://www.sigsauer.com/

This is a great site.

http://gunbroker.com/

Remember folks guns can be used agaisnt you if you have them. and if you lock them up. it might be to slow to remove the lock.

I highly suggest Mace.

Yep not to mention in a situation like that you have to react fast. People often don't aim when they get scared and instead start firing rounds into the walls. There is a reason police and military train to do that stuff.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

For home defense, chose a Bayonette. It doesn't disturb the neighbors and you don't have to reload.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
[/B]

Yep not to mention in a situation like that you have to react fast. People often don't aim when they get scared and instead start firing rounds into the walls. There is a reason police and military train to do that stuff.
Man i cant recall where i seen it. but there was a show on the special forces and how they put a hood over a soldiers head and change the situation from time to time to see how they react. and score them accordinly. crazy stuff.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i tottally missed where you were from. Imagine that texans owning more guns.

Has the make my day law changed down there. i would also highly suggest looking into the laws of your state and local agencies to make sure if you did shot a guy what would happen
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Here's what I use: Make sure you and the wife take some kind of formal class before you buy one for defense. Different states req different classes.

SIG 220 .45
Attached Images

jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
For home defense, chose a Bayonette. It doesn't disturb the neighbors and you don't have to reload.
I have a few machettes but that's all --I think it to be wise to buy a few guns. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

staying on topic, but just for "****s and grins", when was the last time any of you actually used, or had to brandish a firearm against another human being?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Get a revolver. They don't jam. I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with the long barrel. Even if I don't hit 'em, the noise will scare the **** out of them.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Never brandished or had to draw in the US.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
i tottally missed where you were from. Imagine that texans owning more guns.

Has the make my day law changed down there. i would also highly suggest looking into the laws of your state and local agencies to make sure if you did shot a guy what would happen
We have something called the 'castle doctrine' down here which allows one to shoot an intruder if they enter your premises. Hopefully I never have to use it, but I'd rather have a gun than not. and I am a transplant as are most of us in Frisco(lots of Californians and New Yorkers here)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I have a few machettes but that's all --I think it to be wise to buy a few guns. I appreciate everyone's input.
A few guns?

I own a rifle and a shotgun, and it's been many years since I've discharged either of them.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
Here's what I use: Make sure you and the wife take some kind of formal class before you buy one for defense. Different states req different classes.

SIG 220 .45
Apparently we can purchase a gun with only an FBI background check--now to get a CHL that requires a 10 hours course and some other things I believe. I appreciate your insight.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Apparently we can purchase a gun with only an FBI background check--now to get a CHL that requires a 10 hours course and some other things I believe. I appreciate your insight.
Are you thinking about carrying it, or just for home defense?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
Are you thinking about carrying it, or just for home defense?
Just home defense--but in looking at google, I continued to come across many of these CHL courses that people have been offerring. There was so much info on google, I figured it would be best to come here and to see what the OM gun experts own and sort it out from there. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
deputyorange
Just Drafted

My advice would be to get a couple of Glocks. Get some training, and use the money you save on the price difference between a Glock and say a Sig or 1911 and buy ammo. Then practice. As far as the laws if you have to shoot someone, if you really have to, I don't think it will matter. Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six, right?
deputyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I'd stay away from those Smith & Wesson M&P series. I've shot them and they suck. A couple police departments down here switched to them and many of the officers aren't happy with them either.

As far as which brand to get, it's hard to go wrong with Glock, Springfield, Heckler & Koch and Sig Sauer. That Sig P220 that JHat posted is one of my absolute favorite pistols. I own a Glock 21 and I'm very happy with it. It's an excellent weapon for home defense provided your hands are big enough for it (it's a very large service pistol).

Glocks, Sigs, H&K and the Springfield XD series all come in various sizes and calibers, so you should be able to find one to suit you. The Glocks and Springfield XD's can usually be had for under $600, while the rest cost a bit more.

Using a shotgun as some have suggested is certainly an idea to consider, but I don't like the drawbacks of having such a large weapon when I'm checking hallways and so forth. I do have a friend though, who has a 12 gauge Mossberg 590. He removed the regular stock and replaced it with a pistol grip, so that might be a nice compromise.

The laser sight is a good idea. I'd also recommend a tactical light that mounts under the barrel, like a Surefire. There are some out there that have the laser/light combo. Both will come in handy in a home defense situation.

Now as far as far as which caliber to choose, I suggest you get the largest caliber you could reasonably handle. The .22 idea should be completely scrubbed. That's a "plinker" round, not a self defense round. My personal choice would be a .45 ACP, reason being that it's a big and slow bullet, so if you shoot an intruder you don't really have to worry about the bullet going through him, through the wall and into your son/daughter/wife sleeping in the next room.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.

http://www.glock.com/

Heckler & Koch USP series

Sig Sauer

Springfield XD series
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail

It's pretty hard to beat my Kimber 45 Auto. It's one bad handgun.
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
deputyorange
Just Drafted

The kimber is a beautiful gun. Do you have a model with the rail. I've been looking at a desert warrior for a while now.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
Broncochica
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Glock .45
I've shot this one not too bad. Also for home defense.

glock 45 Pictures, Images and Photos
Broncochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Get a shotgun. What good is home defense when bullet goes through the wall and hits someone in the next room.

I have 2 handguns and a shotgun. If someone came in my home I know what I would be grabbing.
I can't imagine a more powerful deterrent then hearing a shotgun get racked. That and a loud, fairly big dog will stop most criminals before they get started.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoLaw View Post
It's pretty hard to beat my Kimber 45 Auto. It's one bad handgun.
I can beat a Kimber, with a much more reliable 1911 like a Para-Ordinance which by the way can be purchased in high capacity.

Kimber has some good products, but their quality record is far too spotty for insane amounts of money they cost. There are better (and cheaper) 1911s out there.

Also, for someone who is new to handguns I wouldn't recommend them start out with a 1911. They are much more complicated to field strip then a Glock or Springfield, and took alot more practice to become proficient with versus a Glock, Sig, H&K or Springfield.

Now if you're an experienced shooter, a 1911 is an excellent choice.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #25
deputyorange
Just Drafted

How about a pistol caliber carbine? Low recoil for the novice shooter, and more accurate then a handgun. Also short and lightweight, and with proper ammo will not over-penetrate.