The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default How do you guys want the broncos to approach the offseason

1 Big ticket FA's

2 Pay off bonuses to guys who are already on the team

3 who cares. what is the offseason anyway
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

1. Sign Marshall, Kuper, Wiegman, and maybe Cutler to long term deals.
  2. Cut Bly and D-rob unless they restructure.
  3. Cut and trade more than half the defensive group.
  4. Sign one big free agent that can play on the front seven.
  5. Trade back in the draft and pick up more picks.
  6. Use the majority of picks on defense with the possible exception of a RB in middle rounds.
  7. Find a good kicker somewhere in there.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
  6. Use the majority of picks on defense with the possible exception of a RB in middle rounds.
that requires someone wanting to move into our spot. teams dont like giving up spots in the draft. very very unlikely this happens, wed have to beg a team to move up.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Wiegman gets an extention, not long term
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
that requires someone wanting to move into our spot. teams dont like giving up spots in the draft. very very unlikely this happens, wed have to beg a team to move up.
It's not that hard. At least one team has traded up in the first round every year of the draft, if not more. Last year there were four with the Saints, Panthers, Jaguars and Texans all trading up or into the first round, and that was just the ones on draft day. Trading back isn't impossible. If Rey Maualuga is available and some team get's all crazy for him we'll have chances to trade back.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's not that hard. At least one team has traded up in the first round every year of the draft, if not more. Last year there were four with the Saints, Panthers, Jaguars and Texans all trading up or into the first round, and that was just the ones on draft day. Trading back isn't impossible. If Rey Malalugha is available and some team get's all crazy for him we'll have chances to trade back.
im not saying its not impossible, its just not as easy as choosing to trade back like many people here think it is.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Do as much long-term turnover as possible. If there are even remote questions as to how a guy will fit in the new scheme long-term, get rid of him now. Try to get as many picks as possible. It's going to be hard to do because they're being valued so much this year.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I like all of the above except:

Screw trading back and
**** a kicker. Let the punter kick extra points and we'll give Jay another down to convert.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Denver724
Ring of Famer

If there is one stud OT left when Denver chooses they will have an opportunity to trade. Many mocks have Washington taking an OT. Down below there are teams (Philadelphia with 2-firsts) that have a need for an OT. If Jason Smith, Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe are still on the board we will have an opportunity. I also think there will be interest in RB Wells (from teams picking below us) if he has a great combine.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

1. Cut and trade as much as we can on D I want to start over.
2. If we do cut or trade alot of players on D trade down for more picks.
3. Sign BM Shef ben H with anything left over.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 02-16-2009 at 12:06 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Fan In Exile
Random Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would go with Kaylore's except I think we need to get some depth at Guard and Wiegmann needs more money but not a long term contract.
Fan In Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Denver724
Ring of Famer

From Bill Williamson on ESPN. Interesting comments.

Denver salary cap glance
February 16, 2009 10:30 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
Denver Broncos
Most recent salary cap availability: $7.16 million.
How can they get more cap room: The Broncos are expected to be in fine salary cap shape once they shed the contracts of some veterans and the word around Denver is it could be a bloodletting. The team is almost certain to cut defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and cornerback Dre' Bly. Cutting Robertson would give Denver about $16 million and cutting Bly, which could happen this week, would give Denver more than $6 million in cap room. Other veterans who could potentially be salary-cap causality include guard Ben Hamilton.
Biggest free agency needs: Defensive line, linebacker, safety.
Dream date: Albert Haynesworth, defensive tackle, Tennessee Titans.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post

Denver salary cap glance
Denver Broncos
How can they get more cap room: The Broncos are expected to be in fine salary cap shape once they shed the contracts of some veterans and the word around Denver is it could be a bloodletting. The team is almost certain to cut defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and cornerback Dre' Bly. Cutting Robertson would give Denver about $16 million and cutting Bly, which could happen this week, would give Denver more than $6 million in cap room. Other veterans who could potentially be salary-cap causality include guard Ben Hamilton.

Burger Bill is not exactly a reliable source here. Every source I have seen have us sitting at around 20 million in available cap space, everybody agrees that cutting Robertson will give us 16 million, however cutting Bly won't give us a whole lot of cap room, I don't know where he got the 6 million but I doubt that is correct unless we can cut him and take half his hit on the 2008 cap (year is not over yet) and the rest on the 2009 cap.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would give Wiegman a 2 year deal, 4 million signing bonus, 500k salary this year, 1.5 million next year.

I would extend Kuper right away, he will only get more expensive. I would make a deal with Marshall with the one provision that it won't be signed until the week of the 1st game of the season so he has to behave all through the summer.

I would cut Koutouvides, Robertson, Engelberger, Manuel and let every free agent walk except for Kenny Peterson who I would try to sign as depth.

I would ask Bly to restructure, essentially take a 3 million pay cut, I would ask Champ to take a 3 million cut as well, and Hamilton to take a 1.5 million cut.

I would use some of my now unsightly large cap space to add a free agent safety, a depth CB, a DL player in the 2nd tier and hopefully a starter as well.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
I think several teams might look for a swap if the top two Qb's (Stafford & Sanchez), or one of the top two receivers (Crabtree & Maclin) starts to slide.

If a couple of the top OT's go in the top ten, someone might pull the trigger at 12 also. Malcolm Jenkins could possibly drop (not likely, but possible).

So, depending on how things shake out there might be more interest than you think.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
If there is one stud OT left when Denver chooses they will have an opportunity to trade. Many mocks have Washington taking an OT. Down below there are teams (Philadelphia with 2-firsts) that have a need for an OT. If Jason Smith, Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe are still on the board we will have an opportunity. I also think there will be interest in RB Wells (from teams picking below us) if he has a great combine.
if wells has a great combine, it would not surprise me at all if we took him.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

Denver salary cap glance
Denver Broncos
The only thing Bill got right in that whole piece is the fact Robertson will save $16m when he's cut.

Bly will actually cost more to cut than keep.

I'd trust the beat writers like Legwold before major fat ass.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would give Wiegman a 2 year deal, 4 million signing bonus, 500k salary this year, 1.5 million next year.

I would extend Kuper right away, he will only get more expensive. I would make a deal with Marshall with the one provision that it won't be signed until the week of the 1st game of the season so he has to behave all through the summer.

I would cut Koutouvides, Robertson, Engelberger, Manuel and let every free agent walk except for Kenny Peterson who I would try to sign as depth.

I would ask Bly to restructure, essentially take a 3 million pay cut, I would ask Champ to take a 3 million cut as well, and Hamilton to take a 1.5 million cut.

I would use some of my now unsightly large cap space to add a free agent safety, a depth CB, a DL player in the 2nd tier and hopefully a starter as well.
The most Dre could cut off his base salary is $2.5m due to his vet status and he wont do that. Dre is technically only on the books for $3.6m in cash this offseason. The additional $3m was already included in a previous cap and is a deferred cash payment owed to Dre by the Broncos. The additional $3m or so of bonus is prorated Option Bonus turned into a signing bonus last year and part of a proration from his original $4m plus signing bonus in 07 (He already received that money).
Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

1. Skip free agency completely until summer when players are forced to take the veteran minimum.

2. Cut or trade every player you don't want three years from now immediately. Take the cap hit this year.

3. Draft the meanest, fattest defensive linemen available.

4. Extend those open to reasonable deals. Kuper, Marshall, etc. Structure contracts to take significant cap room this season and less in future years.

5. Pray the kids know what they're doing.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Sign Marshall and Kuper, Throw Wiegman a bone but Draft a Center. Hold off on Cutler until midseason.

Keep Bly per EM's info, cut or restructure DRob
seperate the wheat from the Chaff on D. Major bloodletting at DL, LB, SS, FS

Sign one big free agent that can play on the front seven.

Let Draft playout Go for biggest target, if not going to be when we pick either move up to get him or back to stockpile but have a Bluechip target.

I would be happy with our current RB's, depends how MickyD's Philosphy changes from Shanny's. If passing to setup run don't pick an RB, bring in UDFA RB's.

D Heavy Draft getting either the best MLB, FS, SS, DT avail in 1st round. This guy has to start next year and play at high level. Draft around order new regime places the importance on.

As long as they do not draft an O skill position in 1st round I will be happy until preseason.

I like Khan's idea of Kicker tryouts.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I would also seriously consider them Bringing Mike Brown to mentor all the new young Safety's we better have next year.

If he plays 15 games like he did last year and contributes the 2 ints than it would be a great move.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
im not saying its not impossible, its just not as easy as choosing to trade back like many people here think it is.
We might have to give up some value, but I am pretty confident we could sell that 12th pick if we really wanted to and get some nice picks. It only takes one team who wants to buy.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I'll do this position by position.

QB
1. Jay Cutler's contract doesn't need any adjustment until 2010 because that's when the big money starts to kick in.
2. Sign a back up who's better than Ramsey for $2m a year, shouldn't be too hard.

RB
1. If Derrick Ward can be had for $4m a year pull the trigger.
2. Re-sign Pittman to a 1 year base minimum deal
3. Draft another mid rd project, decent value in mid-lower rounds as RB's will drop in this draft due to lack of need in the NFL.

FB
1. Just keep Hillis healthy

WR

1. Resign Brandon to a new deal. It'll cost approx $8m-$9m a year though.
2. Look at Jabar Gaffney or Devery Henderson for around $1.5m a year as potential candidates to push Stokley for the 3WR job.
3. Use a late rounder on a speed guy/return man

TE
Nothing needed at all.

OL
1. Re-sign Erik Pears to a minimum contract once he hits UFA. Not worth the $1.5m 2nd rd RFA tender IMO.
2. If Stephen Peterman Lions or Geoff Hangartner Panthers are cheap bring either in. Especially Hangartner as he can cover 3 OL positions.
3. Draft an OC/OG in the mid rds depending on where McD thinks Lichensteiger's best position is.
4. Keep Ben Hamilton on his existing contract. The guy went through hell in the 2007 and came back last year without missing too many beats. He's still a pretty good OG. If the Broncos think he's still in their future plans then give him a 2-3yr extension on medium terms.
5. Re-sign Casey to a 3yr $9m deal, structured similar to Nalen's last one.

DE
1. DE-Move Marcus Thomas outside to SDE, re-sign Kenny Peterson for $1m a year to play rotation 3-4 end.
2. Check the market for Canty/Olshansky/Antonio Smith-not a lot of ends with 3-4 experience available in FA. IMHO we need 1.
3. Use one of the first 4 draft picks on this position, either drafting one of Jackson, Kruger, King, Hood, Gilbert

4. Cut John Engelberger

NT
1. First and foremost either release Dwayne Robertson or give him a contract that doesn't pay him more than $2m-$3m a year because at this point it doesn't look like this system is gonna suit him in the slightest.

2. Bring in a UFA, either Cody, Wright, Cole, Tank or Mosley, or if Montgomery (Redskins) receives a draft tender (6th rd I think) sign him.

3. Draft a Nose within the first 2-3 rounds. At this point Raji is out of our reach IMO which basically leaves Brace.

4. Get Carlton Powell healthy and on the field and in the rotation at Nose.

LB
1. Make the decisions now which decent paid LB's fit the system and which dont. Boss/Niko and Winborn come to mind here. None have any real trade value and at least 2 save decent cap room if cut.

2. Is DJ Williams worth $34m over 5 years for a position he's never played and more importantly $11.1m in cash in 2009. Time well tell

3. ILB-Monitor the markets for Dansby/Lewis/Scott/Crowder/Leroy Hill/Andra Davis/Mike Peterson/Spikes/Barton if all hit the market. We should come out of FA with 1 if not 2 decent starting LB's who have experience within a 3-4 defense.

4. OLB-Give Crowder/Moss/Dumervil a shot to see what they can do in any new system.

5. Give the 3 above a little competition in the shape of Tully Banta-Cain

6. Draft at least 1 OLB in first 3 rds preferably Everette Brown or Orakpo. Could go later with Barwin/English or Sintim

CB
1. Depending on the price go for McFadden/Bodden or Greer. All decent no2 CB's in the league.

2. Retain Dre Bly for one more season and evaluate after that. IMO he plays far better when defending the slot WR.

3. Dont go near re-signing Karl Paymah. He had his chance, time to move on. When a kid comes up from the practice squad and beats you out you know you're done in Denver

4. Draft another young CB in the late rounds

S

1. FS-If James Sanders is reasonably priced bring him in, if not try for Mike Brown or Renaldo Hill (Dolphins)

2. The SS market is pretty strong with Sean Jones/Yeremiah Bell/Leonhard/Jermaine Phillips available. All will be looking at least $4m-$5m plus per season. We can target one of the more expensive ones if McD feels the need warrants the price.

3. Depending on FA, need to draft at least one S. Draft isn't as deep as initially projected with players staying in school and Moore's stock falling like a brick.

4. Cut Manuel and only re-sign McCree if we are desperate for bodies.

K/P

1. Draft a kicker or another UDFA to compete with Prater.

Last edited by eddie mac; 02-16-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

One day at a time...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I really think they should wait on paying Cutler until after this season starts. Let him show his worth under his 3rd OC in 4 years. If the guy is not going to elevate the team in the new philosphy then he should not be in the plans for this team.

If he plays well the 1st 4-6 games in 2009 pay him before mid-season. Then he can play without having the contract stress to worry about in the offseason.

I am a big fan of Cutler but if he is not the answer MickyD will have to find out real quick. If he is the Answer then PAY THE MAN sooner than later.