The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default Are we at the edge of a new Fronter

Potential Game Changing Ultracapacitor Technologies
EEStor Head Office , Cedar Park, Texas

A little known company from Cedar Park, Texas called EEStor may be gearing up for scalable manufacture of 52kw EESU's (Electrical Energy Storage Units). These units weigh only 152kg but can power an average car for 350 kilometres. Here are some good blogs
http://theeestory.com/
http://bariumtitanate.blogspot.com/

The interesting things to note about the EEStor technology:

The cost of 52kW EESU is expected to be between $2,000-$3500. Substantially cheaper and safer than Lithium Ion batteries.

EESU recharges in as little 7 min. (requires high voltage, it will take 4 hours on 220v). If you had a recharging unit at home you could use off peak power to charge it and then recharge your car quickly with the unit.
Power density will be 10x average lead acid batteries and 1.5x the best available lithium ion batteries.
Unlike lithium batteries, materials used in the EESU are non-toxic, non-hazardous and non-explosive. They include barium (Ba), calcium (Ca), titanium (Ti), zirconium (Zr), manganese (Mn), yttrium (Y), neodymium (Nd), forming the composition-modified barium titanate powder, and the metals: nickel (Ni), and copper (Cu) .

The patented approach uses ceramic and integrated-circuit technologies to that will enable EEStor to mass produce EESU's in an automated factory.
The following big names are involved with EEStor or its partners.

Al Gore ex Vice President (now on Kleiner Perkins Board)

Michael Dell (Founder Dell Computers) - [possible angel investor]

Mort Topfer (ex Dell)
Colin L. Powell, (the former secretary of state)

http://robjobsblog.blogspot.com/

I have been watching this forever and thinking that there never going to get this done well last december the got there pattent. looks like this just might be true I sure hope so $.48 a gallon would be the cost to fill up.

Last edited by ~Crash~; 02-15-2009 at 09:48 PM..
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Whatever. Hope it works. However, never forget that Al Gore has made over 100 million pimping global warming. Look at his pics from 2000 - global warming ain't melting Al Gore's ice cream.

If it works, it works. If it doesnt, something else will. That used to be the strength of America.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Lockheed-Martin buys into this technology, and they've had full access to what these guys are doing. I bet their engineers to know their jobs.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Whatever. Hope it works. However, never forget that Al Gore has made over 100 million pimping global warming. Look at his pics from 2000 - global warming ain't melting Al Gore's ice cream.

If it works, it works. If it doesnt, something else will. That used to be the strength of America.
I never wrote the piece lol gore is a putz
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

that would be nice...didn't read the blogs but always encouraging to hear progress in alternative energy sources.

One recurring concern of significant importance here however is the limitation on driving distance...if the EEStor was privately owned you would be kept close to home
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56crash View Post
I never wrote the piece lol gore is a putz
Yes he is. Be careful who's Kool-aide you drink, my friend.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

well driving 300 miles on a plug in and recharge time at 6 minuets seems not to bad . 4 hours is at your house and then you set plug to turn on in the middle of the night to get cheaper energy .
Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Yes he is. Be careful who's Kool-aide you drink, my friend.

If it was based on al gore I would wright it off as junk the guy is just bosting names. no big deal but now if something come of this lol you will hear gore saying he was the one that saved to world oh my.....
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think we're at the front of a new fronter.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Chevy is going gulp . They are doing a double take on the Volt.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

GM communicating with EEStor, tracking progress
Over at the GM-Volt blog there’s a report that General Motors, according to the headline, “Admits to a Working Relationship with EEStor.”

Well, not exactly if you go on to read the post. Unless, of course, having EEStor send information in the mail counts as “working relationship.” That said, the admission by Denise Gray, GM’s director of advanced batteries, that the auto giant has been in touch with EEStor is interesting enough.

Asked whether she’s seen an EESU prototype, Gray backed off a bit. “I probably shouldn’t say if I’ve received parts or not, that’s kind of confidential. But we are in touch with them and we are continuing to encourage them to develop the technology. Because we need as much help as we can possibly get to get the costs down of our battery solution and get the reliability up.”

Man, I can only imagine the kind of non-disclosure agreements these people have to sign. Obviously, EEStor is in discussions with a number of potential partners and customers, yet information about the company still dangles in the territory of rumour and speculation.

My personal prediction: a major announcement from EEStor in March.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...

HUGE news if this pans out... Every, limitation of EV's is because of their power storage limitations. I seriously hope this is as good as it sounds.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
HUGE news if this pans out... Every, limitation of EV's is because of their power storage limitations. I seriously hope this is as good as it sounds.
you are right this would be huge in so many ways

I still wonder if it is hog wash ....
Old 02-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56crash View Post
you are right this would be huge in so many ways

I still wonder if it is hog wash ....
This type of tech is loaded with travishamockery, but these are pretty big very experienced names to be bull****ting.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
That's very upfront of you to say...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #16
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
ain't no future in your frontin'
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Who's the "backer" of this technology?

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

A new "Fronter"?

What is with this trend of misspelling thread titles?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Seriously though, this just shifts the energy demands to the power plants. It's not like that stuff is free or that the power plants run on air. The cost of coal and other fuels to run the power plants will go up to offset the electric bill. Crude might drop, but it's a shift in the type of energy resource, not in the overall demand for energy.

Now if we go nuclear, that changes things significantly...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Seriously though, this just shifts the energy demands to the power plants. It's not like that stuff is free or that the power plants run on air. The cost of coal and other fuels to run the power plants will go up to offset the electric bill. Crude might drop, but it's a shift in the type of energy resource, not in the overall demand for energy.

How embarrassing. You misspelled "nucular". I know that's right because the last president said so.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #21
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:

It's a shift in the right direction though. It will drive innovation towards centralized power production. We can stop wasting time trying to come up with new fuels and distribution methods and just move to upgrading the grid, developing clean and efficient power plants (lots of options here that we already have), and retrofitting the gas stations to handle it.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
It's a shift in the right direction though. It will drive innovation towards centralized power production. We can stop wasting time trying to come up with new fuels and distribution methods and just move to upgrading the grid, developing clean and efficient power plants (lots of options here that we already have), and retrofitting the gas stations to handle it.
You are missing the fact that we will need to upgrade the grid to meet the new load demands. This cost needs to be figured in.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

How are we going to produce all that super high voltage electricity?

I don't even like walking under high voltage powerlines, or putting my cell phone in my pocket next to my - you know.

Too much high voltage electricy scares me just a little also. Anyone here like having a "cancer cluster" device on their corner to charge their car?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #24
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:

Exactly--they de-regulated electric companies down here in TX(supposed to drive down prices?? RIGHT!!) and our electric bill for a 3900 sq ft house with a pool ranges from $400/mo in the winter to $700/mo in the summer. Our house is a Drees home that was completed in 2006 so it's not as though it was not built up to current specs. I cringe to think of what would happen to our electric bill if I had to charge my cars too.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
You are missing the fact that we will need to upgrade the grid to meet the new load demands. This cost needs to be figured in.
I said we need to upgrade the grid. Upgrading the grid needs to be done anyway and it's much easier to upgrade it than to lay new infrastructure for getting these fanciful new fuels around. Ethanol chaps my ass. I can't believe people have pushed for it so hard.

Speaking of the grid. The word efficiency is one of those words we don't hear of often but if you give it a year or two it's going to be one of those buzz words along with renewable and green. It's a lot cheaper to make old things efficient than to make entirely new things. The money and energy savings are huge. In an economy like this and with Obama pushing his agenda the drive to become more efficient is going to be just as important as developing new technologies.

Last edited by snowspot66; 02-16-2009 at 07:44 AM..
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote