The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Hallside
Solid Starter

John Fox is Stupid

Default 3-4 DE Sleeper: Mitch King, "DT," Iowa

I put a lot of stock into Senior Bowl performances, and I really like the draft analysis of Jay Goldberg over at 900footballlinks.net.

In Jay's Senior Bowl coverage, he writes "King caught my eye both during one-on-one's and 11 on 11's. An undersized tackle he could be an excellent end in the 3-4 defense." According to Jay, King went 7-3 in 1 on 1 drills, besting Unger 2-0, Levitre 1-0, and Urbik 3-1; Canfield held him to 1-2. Overall, Jay rated King a "top performer" in the senior bowl practices shown on NFLN.

In his most recent mock draft, Jay has us taking King with #48 in the second round! In his mock draft commentary, he writes, "King is an undersized defensive tackle who was all over the field in college making tackles and continued that trend in the Senior Bowl game. He also looked very good during Senior Bowl practices. I think he is ideal to play end in a 3-4 alignment."

Now, admittedly, the 2nd round seems rather early, especially since Scott Wright at draftcountown.com only has a "Late Round / FA" rating on King. Still, Wright says of King, "Good athlete...Great timed speed...Was very productive...Relentless with a non-stop motor...Does a nice job of getting off blocks...Is versatile...Good strength...Extremely aggressive...Plays with a nasty demeanor...Intense and competitive...Has a lot of experience against top competition..A hard worker and team leader with elite intangibles. " Put succinctly, is this not EXACTLY what we should be looking for in prospects?

The biggest knock on him is his size: at about 6'3'' 280 lbs., he's undersized for a 4-3 DT, but he's nicely suited to be a 3-4 DE.

Anybody watch a lot of Iowa football?

Links:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...Mitch-King.php
http://900footballlinks.net/2009sbpnorth.htm
http://900footballlinks.net/2009jaymock.htm

Last edited by Hallside; 02-15-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Hallside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallside View Post
I put a lot of stock into Senior Bowl performances, and I really like the draft analysis of Jay Goldberg over at 900footballlinks.net.

In Jay's Senior Bowl coverage, he writes "King caught my eye both during one-on-one's and 11 on 11's. An undersized tackle he could be an excellent end in the 3-4 defense." According to Jay, King went 7-3 in 1 on 1 drills, besting Unger 2-0, Levitre 1-0, and Urbik 3-1; Canfield held him to 1-2. Overall, Jay rated King a "top performer" in the senior bowl practices shown on NFLN.

In his most recent mock draft, Jay has us taking King with #48 in the second round! In his mock draft commentary, he writes, "King is an undersized defensive tackle who was all over the field in college making tackles and continued that trend in the Senior Bowl game. He also looked very good during Senior Bowl practices. I think he is ideal to play end in a 3-4 alignment."

Now, admittedly, the 2nd round seems rather early, especially since Scott Wright at draftcountown.com only has a "Late Round / FA" rating on King. Still, Wright says of King, "Good athlete...Great timed speed...Was very productive...Relentless with a non-stop motor...Does a nice job of getting off blocks...Is versatile...Good strength...Extremely aggressive...Plays with a nasty demeanor...Intense and competitive...Has a lot of experience against top competition..A hard worker and team leader with elite intangibles. " Put succinctly, is this not EXACTLY what we should be looking for in prospects?

The biggest knock on him is his size: at about 6'3'' 280 lbs., he's undersized for a 4-3 DT, but he's nicely suited to be a 3-4 DE.

Anybody watch a lot of Iowa football?

Links:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...Mitch-King.php
http://900footballlinks.net/2009sbpnorth.htm
http://900footballlinks.net/2009jaymock.htm
I'm not familiar with Mitch King, but if I was looking to spend a second rounder on a DT convert (to 3-4 DE), I would be looking at guys with a nonstop motor. Two guys are of value in the second - Fili Moala and Ziggy Hood.

I'd take either one of those guys.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Hallside
Solid Starter

John Fox is Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I'm not familiar with Mitch King, but if I was looking to spend a second rounder on a DT convert (to 3-4 DE), I would be looking at guys with a nonstop motor. Two guys are of value in the second - Fili Moala and Ziggy Hood.

I'd take either one of those guys.
Right the assumption in "sleeper" though is that we'd pick him up probably in round three at the earliest. Much earlier, and you're almost not a "sleeper" by definition. But, Wright has a "Late Round / FA" grade on him, so I'm assuming day 2 is a realistic possibility.

Also, King definitely has the non-stop motor you're asking for.

Last edited by Hallside; 02-15-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Hallside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

280 is generous for King. During the season announcers were saying he tips it at @ 265. I specifically remember that being said during the Penn State game. That being said, great motor and team leader. If he can beef up, definitely a guy who would be great in the lockerroom.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

I like King. He seems like a good guy who will give it everything he has. He is one of those guys who will get it done no matter his size disadvantages or other problems with his build.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Moala is a thug. Keep him away from our team PLEASE! He'll be suspended, if not in jail, by 2011.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I'm from Iowa and I actually know Mitch's family, especially his sister who was my chemistry teacher a few years ago my senior year. I'm also an Iowa fan and this is a guy that would fit in and excel. He is an extrodinary individual and he has a non stop motor. He is smaller, but he makes it up by outworking people. I would love to continue cheering for him in the orange and blue. I will follow his progress no matter what because of my conections.
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Combination of too short and not particularly large. I'd say pass.

You want some 3-4 DE sleepers?

I really like the potential talent of Khalif Mitchell. 6'5", 316, played both DE and NT in a 3-4 styled front. Had some character issues early and transferred from UNC to East Carolina, but he's put that behind him. Oh, and he's expected to run between a 4.8 to a 4.9, at 316 pounds.

Rulon Davis is a real lunch pailer. A little older after spending three years of active service in the Marines (served in Iraq), but that'll pay off in the locker room and help him get on the field that much sooner. He's 6'5", 274. Has had some injury issues, but as a 6th or 7th rounder he'd be a steal.

My personal favorite 3-4 DE darkhorse though? Zach Potter. Great TFL and sack numbers in college showing some good penetrating ability, he's 6'7", 280 pounds, and best of all, he came to college as a TE and has shown that he can carry those ball skills over to the defensive side, getting his hands on a ton of balls and even the occasional pick.

I'm hoping for a second day that sees us bringing back something like Mitchell and Sammie Lee Hill as athletic multi-use prospects and Potter as a passing downs situational 3-4 DE that can rotate with guys like Marcus Thomas who would take running downs. Have Carlton Powell put on some weight and get to around 315-320 and we'll have him move to NT as well.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
Elway777
Ring of Famer

king only measured 6-1 at the senior bowl.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Mitch is a high motor player. Can never has enough of those, as backups of course.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Cecil Lammey
NFL Insider

Football is Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Combination of too short and not particularly large. I'd say pass.

You want some 3-4 DE sleepers?

I really like the potential talent of Khalif Mitchell. 6'5", 316, played both DE and NT in a 3-4 styled front. Had some character issues early and transferred from UNC to East Carolina, but he's put that behind him. Oh, and he's expected to run between a 4.8 to a 4.9, at 316 pounds.

Rulon Davis is a real lunch pailer. A little older after spending three years of active service in the Marines (served in Iraq), but that'll pay off in the locker room and help him get on the field that much sooner. He's 6'5", 274. Has had some injury issues, but as a 6th or 7th rounder he'd be a steal.

My personal favorite 3-4 DE darkhorse though? Zach Potter. Great TFL and sack numbers in college showing some good penetrating ability, he's 6'7", 280 pounds, and best of all, he came to college as a TE and has shown that he can carry those ball skills over to the defensive side, getting his hands on a ton of balls and even the occasional pick.

I'm hoping for a second day that sees us bringing back something like Mitchell and Sammie Lee Hill as athletic multi-use prospects and Potter as a passing downs situational 3-4 DE that can rotate with guys like Marcus Thomas who would take running downs. Have Carlton Powell put on some weight and get to around 315-320 and we'll have him move to NT as well.
I was able to see all of these players in January, King at the Senior Bowl practices, Mitchell, Davis, Potter at Texas v The Nation.

Mitch King has a non stop motor, but he can be stoned if his first punch/move doesn't have any effect. I like him, but not more than the 3 you mentioned.

Khalif Mitchell is a beast, and when they practiced without their shoulder pads on Wednesday he looked like he still had pads on! The guy is huge and loves to collapse the pocket and disrupt passing lanes.

Rulon Davis is a hustle player, and he certainly knows how to use leverage to take advantage of unsuspecting blockers. He saw combat in Iraq, and is tough as nails.

Zach Potter needs to add some weight, and he's not the most creative pass rusher. However, he REALLY knows how to bat down passes. He's tall and has long arms, and when he can't get to the QB he knows how to time his jumps and swat at the ball.
Cecil Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Good to see you here, Cecil. I know you're a busy guy especially this time of year. I try to call when you're on now and again but your segment's always popular and I can't get through. I'll sneak in somehow.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: