The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Phillip's new deal will force LT out?

Let's see how much of a team player he is

Quote:
Rivers Ready to Cash in New Deal
Posted Feb 14, 2009

The buzz around Chargers Park has been what will the team do at running back? Keep LT, even if his production is tailing off and he's an $8.8 million hit on the cap? Keep Darren Sproles, even if he isn't an every-down back? But while the focus has been on those two backs, don't overlook the guy sticking the ball in their midsections: QB Philip Rivers.

Philip Rivers had a record-breaking season for the Chargers, throwing for 34 touchdowns in breaking Chargers great Dan Fouts' team mark. He finished the season with a career- and NFL-best 105.5 rating, solidifying his position as one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks.

Now it comes the time to pay him like one.

Rivers, who just completed his third season as a starter, needs a new contract. His current one ends after the 2009 season and the Chargers have no interest in letting him get close to sniffing the free-agent market.

"The 2009 season is about to begin in earnest for us," GM A.J. Smith said. "As we begin to build for that season and beyond, we have to look at which contracts are coming up. Right at the front of that is our quarterback, who is in the last year of his contract."

Smith has made it no secret that he is a big-time fan of Rivers. Never mind the two quarterbacks he passed on from that 2004 draft has combined for three Super Bowl titles - Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (two) and the Giants' Eli Manning (one) - while Rivers has none. Smith made it know his regard for Rivers when he swapped Manning way back when to cast his lot with Rivers.

"We will try to see if he would like to be here in the future," Smith said. "We would certainly like for him to stay and be our quarterback of the future."

The negotiations should be interesting.

When Smith and Rivers' agent, Jimmy Sexton, last sat across from each other it was hardly a smooth conversation. Rivers sat out a big chunk of his first training camp - many thought that cost him a shot at the starting job - and Smith has fired shots at Sexton since.

But Rivers, who threw for more than 4,000 yards last season, is happy in San Diego and isn't motivated in the least to leave. He has a head coach in Norv Turner who has switched the offense from a power-running attack to one in which flings the ball around the field with regularity.

Roethlisberger's regular-season statistics don't compare to Rivers', but he does have those two Super Bowl rings. About a year ago, Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $102 million contract with $36 million in guaranteed money.

Manning, it's believed, is on the verge of signing an even richer deal.

So Smith is going to have to bite the bullet and send a huge chunk of the Chargers' change in Rivers' direction. Just how Rivers demands - and when he gets it - could affect which running back is in San Diego next season
http://sdg.scout.com/2/839328.html
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i bet if they cut LT he comes to us, KC, or Oakland so he can play against the Chargers 2 times a year.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i bet if they cut LT he comes to us, KC, or Oakland so he can play against the Chargers 2 times a year.
Man...I really, REALLY hope both TO and LT wind up on the Raiders. Nothing would be better.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Smith has made it no secret that he is a big-time fan of Rivers. Never mind the two quarterbacks he passed on from that 2004 draft has combined for three Super Bowl titles - Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (two) and the Giants' Eli Manning (one) - while Rivers has none."

I have to say, I don't know who wrote this but I admire his style.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Man...I really, REALLY hope both TO and LT wind up on the Raiders. Nothing would be better.
i don't that's all we need is them having a career resurgance and bringing the Raiders back from mediocrity.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i don't that's all we need is them having a career resurgance and bringing the Raiders back from mediocrity.

Lt needs a good offensive line to anything constructive and he won't have that in the hole, if he does leave we will see if it's for the money or for the game.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Lt needs a good offensive line to anything constructive and he won't have that in the hole, if he does leave we will see if it's for the money or for the game.
while i agree. he might have a personal vendetta and something to prove the the Chargers, and when you have personal reasons, a ****ty o-line isn't going to hold you back.

LT still has something left in the tank, and if they cut him, and he isn't just out for the money and we can get him at a reasonable price i would be for it.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

I doubt he plays for someone else in the AFCW
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
I doubt he plays for someone else in the AFCW
if he is used as trade bait, no way is he in the AFC at all, but if he gets released i could see him in Denver or New England.

Denver so he can stick it to the Chargers twice a year and get us into contention for a ring, and NE so he can stick it to them and have a good shot at a ring.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Nobody is going to us for a shot at a ring. Players will look at the win losses and know that our defense sucks. Yeah it could turn around in a year. It's happened plenty of times before. But they'll choose a team like New England over us at the moment just because of recent history.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i hope they pay phillis a TON. less money for other players on the team.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

As much as I'd hate the thought of LT not being a Charger, re-signing Rivers and Merriman has to be the two top priorities of the team.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm glad I'm not in AJ Smith's shoes.
boltaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Yes, please, PLEASE invest a truckload of guaranteed money in Merriman.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Well, we saw how San Diego's defense stunk last year without Merriman...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Yes, please, PLEASE invest a truckload of guaranteed money in Merriman.
Ya!

Wait, what?
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I guess me saying last yr Chargers should trade LT and sign Turner doesn't look so stupid now.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I guess me saying last yr Chargers should trade LT and sign Turner doesn't look so stupid now.
Definitely not a stupid idea and a it was suggested by fans, writers, you name it. But trading a superstar player such as LT isn't as simple as one thinks. You have to factor in a myriad of other factors other than just salary or age.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Rivers should try to get as much as he can get. This is a business. He shouldn't take a penny less than what his market value is and his market value is very high. Stop romanticizing this stuff.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
As much as I'd hate the thought of LT not being a Charger, re-signing Rivers and Merriman has to be the two top priorities of the team.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm glad I'm not in AJ Smith's shoes.
it's going to be interesting seeing all that guaranteed money go to a guy like Merriman who will be playing on 1 leg and without his roids.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
DB Doom
super villian

check out the big brain on Brad...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Rivers, LT and prob Sproles will all be Chuggers next year...Rivers cuz thats a no brainer..LT cuz their just not that stupid and Sproles only if nobody throws something at 'em like picks or something, they cant pay Sproles what some desperate team would.
DB Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Rivers should try to get as much as he can get. This is a business. He shouldn't take a penny less than what his market value is and his market value is very high. Stop romanticizing this stuff.
I generally agree but if someone is willing to give something of a discount to the home town, I think it makes sense because of the convenience of staying as well as the chemistry and other such factors. Bottom line is Rivers will be paid like a top five QB. LT on the other hand is no longer worth what he's making.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I generally agree but if someone is willing to give something of a discount to the home town, I think it makes sense because of the convenience of staying as well as the chemistry and other such factors. Bottom line is Rivers will be paid like a top five QB. LT on the other hand is no longer worth what he's making.
Well...if he's willing to, that's great, even though its irrational. But that's up to him. He shouldn't be expected to do that, no one should. These people aren't here to please us. They are here to help their families as best as they can.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Sucks, I'd kinda like LT to eat some cap for a couple more years.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #24
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Well, we saw how San Diego's defense stunk last year without Merriman...

excuse...
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #25
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Well...if he's willing to, that's great, even though its irrational. But that's up to him. He shouldn't be expected to do that, no one should. These people aren't here to please us. They are here to help their families as best as they can.
Well pleasing us is in their job description, so I disagree. See I think likability should be factored into a player's value. Ultimately the league is selling entertainment and if someone isn't fun to watch or turns the fan base off, that should be reflected in their value. The product is a game that's fun to watch. If there is a player that doesn't sell as much paraphernalia, then they should be paid less than someone like a Manning that everyone loves.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote