The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default Peerman thankful for opportunity with Ravens

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/spo...is_shot/39379/

Im happy for the kid. I think he will contribute a lot there.

By Jay Jenkins

Published: April 28, 2009

Flipping from the NFL Network to ESPN, Cedric Peerman was at peace Sunday.

Sure, as the rounds passed by, the former Virginia running back watched as lesser-known players at his position were snatched up in the NFL Draft.

Remember, however, that it was Sunday.

That is the day, in fact, that Peerman often strolls to the pulpit to deliver a sermon.

It was on Sunday that “Preacher Peerman,” an ordained minister, learned that he was selected later than expected in the sixth round by the Baltimore Ravens.

Despite the wait, Peerman felt blessed.

“You never know what will happen and I was trying to be prepared for anything and everything,” Peerman said. “I was projected to go a little higher and that didn’t happen, but that is OK.

“I think I am where the Lord wants me to be. I really do.”

Peerman was one of four Cavaliers drafted.

Left tackle Eugene Monroe was picked in the first round with the No. 8 pick, outside linebacker Clint Sintim landed with the New York Giants in the second round with the 45th overall selection and tight end John Phillips was drafted after Peerman in the sixth round by the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys also inked former Virginia wideout Kevin Ogletree to a deal as an undrafted free agent.

Ogletree was not alone in his post-draft dealings.

Inside linebacker Antonio Appleby inked a deal with the New England Patriots and former defensive end Alex Field joined the New York Giants. Safety Byron Glaspy will head this weekend to Chicago to tryout for the Bears.

According to Peerman, Virginia’s top running back in 2008, the days that await for himself and his former teammates can change a life.

“We have a chance to make a name for ourselves,” Peerman said. “It is not like I have a redshirt year to lean on. It can be over in four minutes.”

Peerman joins a crowded backfield that includes Willis McGahee and Ray Rice, but has experience returning kickoffs — something the brass from Baltimore pointed out after he was selected.

“With coach [Al] Groh, he really likes for his guys to play special teams so I have a good background in special teams and I returned some kicks for a few years so I have some experience back there doing that,” Peerman said. “Also being a running back, I feel like I’m pretty versatile and can do a lot of things out of the backfield if they need me to do that.

“It is on special teams, though, that I am going to be able to make my dough there.”

Peerman’s odds of making the Ravens should be improved with his current health. The Gladys native, who missed part of the 2007 season with a foot injury, said he is “100 percent” heading into an upcoming mini-camp.

“There are no problems with the foot whatsoever,” Peerman said. “I have been training and working out, and I thank the Lord for that.

“I am just ready to get out and I feel like I am in decent shape. I can’t wait to see what the future holds.”
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: