The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Move Up - Move Down - Stay Put
Move Up 5 5.56%
Move Down 34 37.78%
Stay Put 51 56.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default You make the call - trade up or down or stay put

We all know our defense is in shambles. A new system going in, new coaches and a plethora of crappy players. Nothing is for sure but I'm going out on a limb here (a very small thin twig of a limb actually) and say we are going to use our 1st pick on a defensive player.

There are 2 views on how we work the first round in the draft. Move up (swapping 1st rounders and probably giving up later picks and or players) or move down (again, swapping 1st rounders and getting additional later round picks or players) or just stay put at 12.

We sure have alot of holes to fill so moving down could be the way to go. But at what cost? I know all picks are gambles but math doesn't lie. 1st round picks have a higher success rate in the NFL then do 5th rounders, ok, you get the point. If we stay put, we can land a nice player at 12 and keep our later picks which is nice but we could miss the guy we want by doing that. I think moving up is the highest risk though. You not only have to give up picks, but it's not a for sure thing you still land the guy you want.

This is not a thread about who we should take but philosophy on moving up or down or staying put. Since it's all a crap shoot on what players are there and when they go and to who, I think it mainly comes down to philosophy on how you work it.

So, you make the call.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...

Either trade down or stay put. We need every pick we have... maybe more.

We could easily have 6-7 new starters on defense. The draft is going to have to supply most of those.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Don't move up, there's no one there we need that badly. If Raji or somehow Curry is there at 12, jump on them, else move down, although I'm sure a lot of people would think Rey rey is worth taking at 12. Actually I'd be ok with taking Everette Brown at 12th I think.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Stay put

There should be someone there to help our front 7
I wouldnt trade up, too costly
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

ReyRey with #12
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

you cant just decide to trade up or move down, you have to have someone willing to trade with you. not many teams trade up every year because it costs so much to do so, and its rarely worth it unless its for what you see as a huge need for a playoff team, franchise QB or immediate gamebreaker. look at our trade up for jarvis, it wasnt very smart because it was pretty well known he was a project, it cost us i think a third (and fourth?).
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Move up but only if it get's you Curry.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
you cant just decide to trade up or move down, you have to have someone willing to trade with you. not many teams trade up every year because it costs so much to do so, and its rarely worth it unless its for what you see as a huge need for a playoff team, franchise QB or immediate gamebreaker. look at our trade up for jarvis, it wasnt very smart because it was pretty well known he was a project, it cost us i think a third (and fourth?).
Moss?
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I've been looking agin at the Pats and the 49ers to see what their history is again.

The Pats start everything by putting first rounders into their 3 interior D-line spots. Guys like Wilfork and Seymour form the base and draw dounle teams. It allows them to rotate other talent through the third spot. So, the Pats started with top-notch interior linemen.

The 49ers brought along lots of picks from 3-5th rounds. They developed some big D-ends, and also have some "tweener" DT's that play end. (they have one top notch FA in Justin Smith).

There's no doubt the Pats method has produced a better result.

Both teams also put a high priority on their ILB "field generals." The 49ers have Willis, the Pats drafted Mayo. These guys are fast, hard hitters and great leaders. It will be interesting to see if they think DJ can handle this. If not, Maualuga fits the bill as a big, fast hitter, I just don't know about his football intelligence. He's had a lot of talent around him to make up for his errors.

So, I endorse the Pats method.
I say #12 is best used on one of two players - Curry (who should be gone), or Raji. So, if Raji is there, you take him.

Otherwise, you trade down for an impact guy who starts in your front 3 from day 1 and draws double teams. That guy is Tyson Jackson. He is a major force coming off the outside, and would make it even easier for our OLB's to adjust to the new scheme. In 4-3 alignment, he would be a run stopping machine, and in a 3-4 he would be a great pocket crusher.

Trading down allows us to take another two impact players in the second. If Larry English is there, you take him first. If not, take your pick of best Safety available (Delmas, Johnson, Chung). With the bonus pick in the second, I would take a Safety or Shonn Greene.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Stay put.... or trade down depending who is still on the boards at 12
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
The only "realistic" scenario is if one of the top receivers (Crabtree or Maclin) or if by chance on of the top QB's (Stafford or Sanchez) starts to fall, and someone wants him bad enough. If Gruden was still in Tampa, I would have said the Bucs would trade up, but with a new rookie coach I doubt he would break the back and put his neck on the line for an offensive skill player.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Trade down with Miami and get another 2nd rounder since Miami has two. We need picks to bolster D.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'd love to move down. We have a lot of holes on defense and need as many prospects as possible.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

There are a couple of players I really like at 12, but there is a chance they would be there later if we can trade back. Rey and Knowshon would be great for this team. I know D is a much bigger need than offense, but I would still love for us to take Moreno and then focus the rest of the draft on D. If we get one of those 2 guys, whether its at 12 or we can move back and pick up an extra selection and still get one of them, I will be happy with our first round. I don't think Raji or Curry will be available and don't want to move up for them, and as much as I like Everette Brown I think Dumervil will be our rush linebacker and be very effective.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Trade down and snap up a guy like Cushing. IMO there is just as good value between 12-24 as at 12.

If we were to trade down 7-10 spots and pick up an extra 2. That could mean getting a guy like Cushing in the 1st and picking up a DT and a RB in the 2nd round.

That's the way that I'd go.

The only guy I'd stay put for is Curry!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'd love to move down. We have a lot of holes on defense and need as many prospects as possible.
No thanks. I don't trust Kiddy McDandraftbusts and Colonel Xanders with more picks. When will you fanboys wake up?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

Move down. We have so many holes on defense that every pick is critical. Additionally, Only Curry, Raji, and Brown are worth the #12 pick for us, IMO.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Trade down with Miami and get another 2nd rounder since Miami has two. We need picks to bolster D.
do you think miami would want to give up one of their 2nds to move up? if you were them, would you? i doubt it. it all begins with someone wanting to move up, you cant chose to move down, you need someone with a need at your position to approach you about it (i imagine asking other teams "hey you wanna move up!?" doesnt work.) and you have to want to move down.

in this case, i highly doubt we get approached unless someone falls who shouldnt.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Move up but only if it get's you Curry.
this
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
do you think miami would want to give up one of their 2nds to move up? if you were them, would you? i doubt it. it all begins with someone wanting to move up, you cant chose to move down, you need someone with a need at your position to approach you about it (i imagine asking other teams "hey you wanna move up!?" doesnt work.) and you have to want to move down.

in this case, i highly doubt we get approached unless someone falls who shouldnt.
It depends on need and I know it unlikely just threw out a team. I wanted another Day 1 pick for us is all.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
No thanks. I don't trust Kiddy McDandraftbusts and Colonel Xanders with more picks. When will you fanboys wake up?
Are you for real? Can we at least let them loose a game before they suck
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
It depends on need and I know it unlikely just threw out a team. I wanted another Day 1 pick for us is all.
i think every team in the NFL wants more day 1 picks, which is why not many are willing to give them up!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm always for trading down and getting extra picks. But obviously if there is a player you see as a pro bowl type with that top pick, then you are more wise to get that player since quality means more than quantity in that case.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
I will not stand for anymore loosening!
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
i think hes just getting a head start on the rest of the haters on this board that will sound like that after:
1. any loss
2. a really bad loss in particular
3. any of the draft picks doesnt work out
4. a 1st day pick makes a mistake
5. a 2nd day pick makes a mistake
6. the kickers miss a field goal
7. cutler throws an interception
8. marshall drops a pass
9. anyone fumbles