The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default Why is everyone so in love with Lesean McCoy?

Almost every mock i see on here has us taking McCoy as a 2nd round pick. I don't see the high point with him. In my eyes he is just a more expensive higher rated version of Selvin Young. I think in the 2nd round there are a couple of other RB who are better than McCoy, namely Shonn Green and Rashard Jennings.

Is everyone liking him as a feature back or as a compliment to Hillis? Because I have it in my mind that Hillis isn't going to be our RB next season but more of an H-Back for us, catch passes out of the backfield, run a few times, lead block. And because of that I feel we need a bigger workhorse RB, and not a smaller slasher style runner.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Almost every mock i see on here has us taking McCoy as a 2nd round pick. I don't see the high point with him. In my eyes he is just a more expensive higher rated version of Selvin Young. I think in the 2nd round there are a couple of other RB who are better than McCoy, namely Shonn Green and Rashard Jennings.

Is everyone liking him as a feature back or as a compliment to Hillis? Because I have it in my mind that Hillis isn't going to be our RB next season but more of an H-Back for us, catch passes out of the backfield, run a few times, lead block. And because of that I feel we need a bigger workhorse RB, and not a smaller slasher style runner.
Looking at the Patriots teams over the past 6-8 years, I agree with you completely.

If we look at the running backs on the Pats roster, you see Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, Lamont Jordan, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Heath Evans. In their recent past, Corey Dillon was another successful back.

We can see a pattern here:
1) they like powerful downhill runners that can move the chains.
2) They have no "scat back." Even Faulk, who is very shifty has a tremendous north-south burst (not east-west).
3) They usually like an RB that is a decent receiver (no brick hands).

Hillis fits perfectly, I think Shonn Greene (in rounds 2-3) would be perfect. Rashad Jennings would be great if we can land him in round 4. Otherwise, I think he would be a little overvalued in round 3.

Torain would actually seem to fit the mold if he can get healthy, especially at such a cheap price tag.

You can understand why keeping Bobby Turner was such a coup for McDaniels. Bobby can turn lots of these larger undervalued backs into very decent performers. It's not Bobby's fault they got injured. Bobby is one of the best at picking, training, and preparing RB's to succeed in a "downhill" running style. It's a marriage made in heaven for Broncos fans.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Cause he is going to be a great pro.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Because he is shifty and has great vision. He is going to be a stud!
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:

LeSean McCoy is no Selvin Young.

McCoy never missed a game in college. Selvin Young has never been able to stay healthy in college or the pros.

McCoy will be a feature back in the NFL.

Besides, I doubt he makes it to the second round.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 02-14-2009 at 10:23 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McCoy would be a great compliment to Hillis. If we can find a back like McCoy, who can catch the ball out of the backfield and has more speed than Hillis, it offers more versatility than we currently have. I would still see Hillis as the short-yardage and goal-line back, but adding a back like McCoy gives the offense options: using Hillis as a lead blocker or receiver on play-action plays, using him in an H-back role. I can also envision a Shotgun set with Hillis and McCoy flanking Cutler, with Marshall, Royal and one of Stokely/Scheff/Graham on the field. We'd be able to run the inside handoff with either Hillis or McCoy, use them as receivers out of the backfield, or keep both in a protection package. Regardless, there should be mis-matches all of the field in that formation.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I see Hillis as the "Main" back. I don't see hime going more than 16-20 carries, but maybe adding 3-5 passes. The backup back will need to be similar to him, and I think Shonn Green, with his size, power and speed is a better choice in the third or so. That's what I 'm talking about, baby!!!

Hillis has the confidence of the team (read Cutler). He has that smash mouth instinct coupled with enough speed and twists to get the 6-10 yard burst, with an occassional 20 yarder thrown in. He doesn't lose yards many times, and does get some tough ones frequently. He is now a verteran RB. And I say he sticks.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
LeSean McCoy is no Selvin Young.

McCoy never missed a game in college. Selvin Young has never been able to stay healthy in college or the pros.

McCoy will be a feature back in the NFL.

Besides, I doubt he makes it to the second round.
so he's a healthy Selvin. McCoy will not be able to handle the beatings of 20+ carries a game or 325+ a year. he is a complimentary back. he is the type of guy you pair with a Brandon Jacobs, and have a lightning to the bruising thunder.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
so he's a healthy Selvin. McCoy will not be able to handle the beatings of 20+ carries a game or 325+ a year. he is a complimentary back. he is the type of guy you pair with a Brandon Jacobs, and have a lightning to the bruising thunder.
I would have no problem with a Hillis/McCoy combo.

McCoy can get 15-18 carries and catch 4 to 6 passes a game and Hillis can get 12-15 carries and catch a handful of passes a game as well.

Let the flow of the game dictate the amount of carries they get a game....if one back gets hot, you ride with him for a while.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 02-14-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Great sense of humor?

I wouldn't mind having him on the team I like the way he runs, his vision and his knack for getting into the endzone. He has scored in every game he has played in but 4.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
Great sense of humor?

I wouldn't mind having him on the team I like the way he runs, his vision and his knack for getting into the endzone. He has scored in every game he has played in but 4.
McCoy would be a Clinton Portis-like steal in the 2nd round.

That said, I think he gets drafted in the 20-30 range of the 1st round.

Just because he is 5'11 210 pounds people should not assume he is fragile and can't take a hit.

He did not miss a game in college and had 309 touches (276 carries and 33 receptions) his freshman year and 340 touches (308 carries and 32 receptions) his sophomore year.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 02-14-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
McCoy would be a Clinton Portis-like steal in the 2nd round.

That said, I think he gets drafted in the 20-30 range of the 1st round.

Just because he is 5'11 210 pounds people should not assume he is fragile and can't take a hit.

He did not miss a game in college and had 309 touches (276 carries and 33 receptions) his freshman year and 340 touches (308 carries and 32 receptions) his sophomore year.
and i understand and know his history, and agree he could become a Portis-like steal in the 2nd. but i see him and because of his smaller size and just think he won't be able to handle NFL hits 300 times a year. i see a higher rated Selvin Young. also remember, in Portis time in Denver he was never able to finish an entire season. he missed games both years and wore down a little at the end of the year, and he was a similar frame and also not injured much or at all coming out of college, but his size got him hurt a little every year. it wasn't until his 4th season or so that he finally finished a full season and that was due to him bulking up a little.

i just think, looking back on last season and Hillis being the only RB we had who could do anything for us, and he has a bigger build and is more powerful than finesse. and i think rather than gamble on a slasher style of a runner who could be a Portis or a Selvin Young, we should just go after a bigger guy like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings and add some power and be physical in the running game. i think that is the best thing for this team. a guy with power and size who can be physical and get 5 yards guaranteed every carry, instead of a smaller guy who has the ability to break a 75 yard run, but gets stopped at the line or after a gain of 1 or 2 repeatedly and then get a 20 yard run that brings the YPC average up to around 5.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Cause he is going to be a great pro.
Not in Denver, I hope.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
yerner
Ring of Famer

I doubt he'll be available in the 2nd after his pro day. A number of columnists have him ranked over Moreno and Beanie.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

I'm biased cuz I know him, but dude may be THE best RB in this draft. He's a soph and that is why he may not be the top RB taken. Good kid all around. Had to go to a prep school after an injury during his HS senior year at Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt in Pennsylvania. He said he let it get in his head and his grades dropped. Spent quite a bit of time w/ his g/f at the Harrisburg YMCA instead of running the streets like the rest of the gang bangers in the HBG. Once he refocused and healthy his grades jumped up nd we all ssaw what he can do on the field. STUD! We'd be blessed to have him in Denver.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I guess I paid way to much attention to our pathetic _efense last season. We need to draft on the D side of the line alot more than we need another RB.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I guess I paid way to much attention to our pathetic _efense last season. We need to draft on the D side of the line alot more than we need another RB.
Having a Clinton Portis in our backfield would mean extra D stacking the box which would mean 1 less guy in the backfield which would mean an Open B-Marsh or Royal A LOT. We let teams pick their poison. Death by run or pass... either way we'll dominate.

All we need on O to be the BEST in the NFL is a stud RB to go with Hillis at FB... I don't even want to think how deadly we'll be with that.

We can get the D fixed in the 1st round 3rd on + FA.

We're going to be bleh this year anyway because of the schedule. After next year we're going to be an elite team that no one wants on their schedule.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
and i understand and know his history, and agree he could become a Portis-like steal in the 2nd. but i see him and because of his smaller size and just think he won't be able to handle NFL hits 300 times a year. i see a higher rated Selvin Young. also remember, in Portis time in Denver he was never able to finish an entire season. he missed games both years and wore down a little at the end of the year, and he was a similar frame and also not injured much or at all coming out of college, but his size got him hurt a little every year. it wasn't until his 4th season or so that he finally finished a full season and that was due to him bulking up a little.

i just think, looking back on last season and Hillis being the only RB we had who could do anything for us, and he has a bigger build and is more powerful than finesse. and i think rather than gamble on a slasher style of a runner who could be a Portis or a Selvin Young, we should just go after a bigger guy like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings and add some power and be physical in the running game. i think that is the best thing for this team. a guy with power and size who can be physical and get 5 yards guaranteed every carry, instead of a smaller guy who has the ability to break a 75 yard run, but gets stopped at the line or after a gain of 1 or 2 repeatedly and then get a 20 yard run that brings the YPC average up to around 5.
It may be a bit of a stretch, but Hillis may be comparable to Jacobs. The smash mouth runners can make good yardage, and punish the DBs.............
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
It may be a bit of a stretch, but Hillis may be comparable to Jacobs. The smash mouth runners can make good yardage, and punish the DBs.............
i agree with Hillis being able to fill that role, but i highly doubt the new coaches will line him up at RB. he is going to be an H-Back for us.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
a good-great RB would benefit every phase of the team including the defense.

if we have a RB capable of chewing up the clock, we don't have to see our pathetic defense getting burned all day long.

with a good RB teams can't drop 7-8 into coverage, they would need to bring those guys all into the box, leaving Marshall, Royal, Scheff, Stokley, Hillis out of the backfield in very good positions to make catches against one on ones or being uncovered.

every offensive playmakers stats would go up, as well as our scoring per game, our defense would be off the field more so our points allowed would go down.

because of that, a RB is one of the most important aquisitions we can make, i just pray it isn't Moreno or McCoy, but someone like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

I just don't like that he doesn't break many tackles...I like the speed and quickness but just lacks NFL power IMO. I'd rather go James Davis, Shonn Greene, etc..
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

His APC in college is Cedric Benson-like.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
i agree with Hillis being able to fill that role, but i highly doubt the new coaches will line him up at RB. he is going to be an H-Back for us.
I really think we need to use Hillis' versatility to the fullest extent. That includes using him as a short-yardage and goal-line back and occasional single-back in 2 TE sets. It's a waste of talent not to get the ball in Hillis' hands, one way or another, 12-15 times a game.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #24
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattob14 View Post
McCoy would be a great compliment to Hillis. If we can find a back like McCoy, who can catch the ball out of the backfield and has more speed than Hillis, it offers more versatility than we currently have. I would still see Hillis as the short-yardage and goal-line back, but adding a back like McCoy gives the offense options: using Hillis as a lead blocker or receiver on play-action plays, using him in an H-back role. I can also envision a Shotgun set with Hillis and McCoy flanking Cutler, with Marshall, Royal and one of Stokely/Scheff/Graham on the field. We'd be able to run the inside handoff with either Hillis or McCoy, use them as receivers out of the backfield, or keep both in a protection package. Regardless, there should be mis-matches all of the field in that formation.
This is how I see Hillis fitting in this season he is by far our best short yardage back so that will be 5-6 carries you have to love his hands out of the backfield and his blocking ability. figure he should see 15-18 touches per game. I dont know what you guys have seen of McCoy but he is a tough runner he is not by any means an easy tackle. and he would be the perfect fit with Hillis in t he Chris Cooley role.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #25
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Anyone who thinks he is soft hasn't seen him. They couldn' have. You don't break Dorsett's frosh reords by going down at first contact. Same w/ his soph stats. Dude is the real deal. He was the #1 RB in the nation out of HS for a reason and he hasn't disappointd at all.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: