The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default BPA Mock?

Reading the Random Thoughts thread got me thinking about the possibilities with this year's draft. While I'd love to go heavy on the D, it appears the value may fall more to the offense this year. With that said, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts if the draft were to play out in this manner. Keep in mind, I'm not neccessarily advocating this, but I think it's an interesting discussion.

FA- Chris Canty, Ronnie Fields, and OJ Atogwe. Three young vets who should start immediately. This should also be within our budget.

#12- Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizzou- A game-breaker at WR and returner, Maclin would provide the true downfield threat we are currently lacking.

#48- LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt- A slasher with the speed to finish the long run, solid hands, and enough strength to keep the ball moving, McCoy could be a great compliment to Hillis.

#79- Alex Mack, C, Cal- The #1 C on some boards, but others like Unger and Wood better. If he's available in the 3rd, we have to jump on it. He would complete a great young OL.

#110- Zach Potter, DE, Neb- At 6'7" 280, he has great size as a 3-4 DE and put in a pretty solid campaign in '08. He's been climbing draft boards recently and could be a very nice pick-up at this point in the draft.

#132- Jasper Brinkly, ILB, South Carolina- Big, physical ILB who could bring depth, ST ability, and even challenge Larsen for PT. We need players who fit the 3-4 and Brinkley certainly fills the bill.

#141- Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman- A project, but there aren't a lot of legitamate NT prospects this year. Will likely sit the bench for a year or two, but the physical tools are there for him to develop into a solid player in time.

#172- Kevin Ellison, S, USC- A big, physical S who would be rated higher in other S classes. He's been effective for USC and has potenital as in in-the-box S opposite Atogwe.

#208- Todd Boeckman, QB, OSU- Benched in favor of Pryor early this season, Boeckman had a solid '07 campaign and is the type of QB prospect NE has had success with. Has the size and enough physical tools for McD to groom behind Cutler.

#218- Sam Swank, K, Wake- Strong-legged K who was a hot item after his Junior year, Swank struggled a bit as a senior. I'd love to provide some competition for Prater and Swank has a nice upside. The concern here is that he's too similar to what we currently have.

Honestly, seeing this on paper, I like it much better than I thought I would. The tools would be in place to have a top-3 offense (or better) in 2 years. The versatility would be unreal. We'd have a big, physical, young OL that excelled both at run and pass blocking. Hillis could serve as the short-yardage back, FB, and H-Back. We'd have the ability to line up in any formation offensively and would give defenses nightmares. Can you imagine trying to defend a Shotgun formation with Hillis and McCoy flanking Cutler, Marshall and Maclin split wide, with Royal working the slot? There would be mis-matches across the field- and that's not taking into account Graham, Stokely and Scheffler!

Defensively, we'd still be a work in progress, but the only glaring concern I can see is OLB (although NT would certainly need further attention). DE could be solid, as well as ILB. At Safety, Atogwe, Barret, and Ellison should be better than anything we had last year. CB would be a strength with a healthy Champ and Williams/Bell progressing. If Doom and/or Moss would step up at one OLB position, I think we could see some solid improvement over last season.

While I'm still wanting to add more D talent than this, I think I'd prefer this to, say, Maualuga, Brace, and Hamlin in the first 3 rounds.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I like it. A Maclin/Mccoy combo would be sweeet. And if we get those Defenseive players in FA that will help a lot.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattob14 View Post
Reading the Random Thoughts thread got me thinking about the possibilities with this year's draft. While I'd love to go heavy on the D, it appears the value may fall more to the offense this year. With that said, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts if the draft were to play out in this manner. Keep in mind, I'm not neccessarily advocating this, but I think it's an interesting discussion.

FA- Chris Canty, Ronnie Fields, and OJ Atogwe. Three young vets who should start immediately. This should also be within our budget.

#12- Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizzou- A game-breaker at WR and returner, Maclin would provide the true downfield threat we are currently lacking.

#48- LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt- A slasher with the speed to finish the long run, solid hands, and enough strength to keep the ball moving, McCoy could be a great compliment to Hillis.

#79- Alex Mack, C, Cal- The #1 C on some boards, but others like Unger and Wood better. If he's available in the 3rd, we have to jump on it. He would complete a great young OL.

#110- Zach Potter, DE, Neb- At 6'7" 280, he has great size as a 3-4 DE and put in a pretty solid campaign in '08. He's been climbing draft boards recently and could be a very nice pick-up at this point in the draft.

#132- Jasper Brinkly, ILB, South Carolina- Big, physical ILB who could bring depth, ST ability, and even challenge Larsen for PT. We need players who fit the 3-4 and Brinkley certainly fills the bill.

#141- Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman- A project, but there aren't a lot of legitamate NT prospects this year. Will likely sit the bench for a year or two, but the physical tools are there for him to develop into a solid player in time.

#172- Kevin Ellison, S, USC- A big, physical S who would be rated higher in other S classes. He's been effective for USC and has potenital as in in-the-box S opposite Atogwe.

#208- Todd Boeckman, QB, OSU- Benched in favor of Pryor early this season, Boeckman had a solid '07 campaign and is the type of QB prospect NE has had success with. Has the size and enough physical tools for McD to groom behind Cutler.

#218- Sam Swank, K, Wake- Strong-legged K who was a hot item after his Junior year, Swank struggled a bit as a senior. I'd love to provide some competition for Prater and Swank has a nice upside. The concern here is that he's too similar to what we currently have.

Honestly, seeing this on paper, I like it much better than I thought I would. The tools would be in place to have a top-3 offense (or better) in 2 years. The versatility would be unreal. We'd have a big, physical, young OL that excelled both at run and pass blocking. Hillis could serve as the short-yardage back, FB, and H-Back. We'd have the ability to line up in any formation offensively and would give defenses nightmares. Can you imagine trying to defend a Shotgun formation with Hillis and McCoy flanking Cutler, Marshall and Maclin split wide, with Royal working the slot? There would be mis-matches across the field- and that's not taking into account Graham, Stokely and Scheffler!

Defensively, we'd still be a work in progress, but the only glaring concern I can see is OLB (although NT would certainly need further attention). DE could be solid, as well as ILB. At Safety, Atogwe, Barret, and Ellison should be better than anything we had last year. CB would be a strength with a healthy Champ and Williams/Bell progressing. If Doom and/or Moss would step up at one OLB position, I think we could see some solid improvement over last season.

While I'm still wanting to add more D talent than this, I think I'd prefer this to, say, Maualuga, Brace, and Hamlin in the first 3 rounds.
Not bad. DEN would still need to maybe somehow get Bart Scott too and i think it would go a lot farther. But, its really not that bad with the intial shock of 3 offensive players. I still am also not so sure DEN absolutely needs Alex Mack, but hes good though.
This also only works if DEN aquires OJ Atogwe. NO OJ, NO WAY. I guess Sean Jones could be the replacement for him, but there has to be an upgrade there. IF STL somehow doesnt tag OJ, then DEN had better be the 1st place he goes, and he better not leave until hes signed.
I'd take Brandstater over Boekman too. I also think Stillmans gone by then, but who knows man.
Its still an all around solid draft considering how you approached it.

EDIT: YES. The offense would just be pure evil good!

Last edited by socalorado; 02-13-2009 at 02:38 PM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Chris Canty is a One gapper, and gonna want a bunch of money. i will say it right now he is gonna go to Miami.

OJ is probably going to be franchised. there is alot of players in FA. but you also have to remember there is alot of teams that have the money to re-sign their players.

I personelly feel you over valued Jasper Brinkely. Undervalued Mack.

i really dont like Maclin. hes a good player but i feel he is not needed.

Ellison is a decent pick up. although i dont think he has the pro tools
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Not bad. DEN would still need to maybe somehow get Bart Scott too and i think it would go a lot farther. But, its really not that bad with the intial shock of 3 offensive players. I still am also not so sure DEN absolutely needs Alex Mack, but hes good though.
This also only works if DEN aquires OJ Atogwe. NO OJ, NO WAY. I guess Sean Jones could be the replacement for him, but there has to be an upgrade there. IF STL somehow doesnt tag OJ, then DEN had better be the 1st place he goes, and he better not leave until hes signed.
I'd take Brandstater over Boekman too. I also think Stillmans gone by then, but who knows man.
Its still an all around solid draft considering how you approached it.

EDIT: YES. The offense would just be pure evil good!
Thanks, I don't see it happening this way, but it's a little more interesting than the standard defense-oriented mock. I'd agree on both Mack and Atogwe. Without Atogwe, or a similar Safety in FA, there's not enough talent on D to go Offense with our first 3 picks. With Atogwe, we've got a little more flexibility there. Mack isn't a must-have by any means, but the C class is so good this year, I'd love to take a shot at one.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Chris Canty is a One gapper, and gonna want a bunch of money. i will say it right now he is gonna go to Miami.

OJ is probably going to be franchised. there is alot of players in FA. but you also have to remember there is alot of teams that have the money to re-sign their players.

I personelly feel you over valued Jasper Brinkely. Undervalued Mack.

i really dont like Maclin. hes a good player but i feel he is not needed.

Ellison is a decent pick up. although i dont think he has the pro tools
If I were to put money on Atogwe's destination, I'd bet on him staying in St Louis, but I don't think it's lock either. We'd have to have a talent like that on D to even consider going this route in the draft.

In round 5, I don't see Brinkley being over-valued. He was a potential first-rounder a year ago, but his knee injury set him back. He's a nice 3-4 fit and I don't think he'd be there in round 6. You can flip-flop him with Hill though. As for Mack, there are a couple of C's that would work there. I chose Mack because he seems to be one of those guys who was highly-regarded early, but may have been a bit over-scrutinized his senior year. He has a shot of being there in round 3.

Maclin isn't a need pick, but that's the point. Putting this together was more about going BPA throughout the early rounds (which happened to be offense), then finding defensive players who fit the 3-4 through the mid-late rounds.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I like it. A Maclin/Mccoy combo would be sweeet. And if we get those Defenseive players in FA that will help a lot.
If nothing else, it'd be a lot fun watching that offense.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

A durable RB we would of been 10-6.

Our D is the worst in denver history.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattob14 View Post
If I were to put money on Atogwe's destination, I'd bet on him staying in St Louis, but I don't think it's lock either. We'd have to have a talent like that on D to even consider going this route in the draft.

In round 5, I don't see Brinkley being over-valued. He was a potential first-rounder a year ago, but his knee injury set him back. He's a nice 3-4 fit and I don't think he'd be there in round 6. You can flip-flop him with Hill though. As for Mack, there are a couple of C's that would work there. I chose Mack because he seems to be one of those guys who was highly-regarded early, but may have been a bit over-scrutinized his senior year. He has a shot of being there in round 3.

Maclin isn't a need pick, but that's the point. Putting this together was more about going BPA throughout the early rounds (which happened to be offense), then finding defensive players who fit the 3-4 through the mid-late rounds.
We're gonna have to aggree to dissaggree on Brinkley. I know all about brinkley, but thanks for shareing

Mack is better then woods. I think he is better then Unger as a true C, but i think unger mayhave better value due to him being able to play multiple positions. Mack won't make it out of the second round. Defense in the second round has terrific value, being that as it may. selecting a RB when we need to focus a majority of our higher picks there is just plum nuts.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If i was the GM. I would pay off alot of the bonuses that are due. that way going into next year we can pay the young guys we have on offense. we would also have some wiggle room if we dont like guys then we can just dump them. I think the writeing is on the walls though fellas that pat is not gonna bring in superstars this offseason. guess well find out in a couple weeks though for sure.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I had a draft similar where I traded down for a extra 2 plus 4 with Philly 28 pick but instead of Maclin I drafted Heyward Bey. I would rather trade down and get Hayward Bey plus at least another 2 round pick then draft Maclin at 12.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: