The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default What the Hell happend to our CAP!?!?!?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...eaning-begins/

Anyone WTF happened

Who the heck made the chart a while back that said we had $37 or so million in free cap.

Why does this say Colbert counts against our cap? I thought the Seahawks took his contract in FULL. I also thought Henry was off our cap after last year...
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...eaning-begins/

Anyone WTF happened

Who the heck made the chart a while back that said we had $37 or so million in free cap.

Why does this say Colbert counts against our cap? I thought the Seahawks took his contract in FULL. I also thought Henry was off our cap after last year...
I think the article is pretty clear. You just have to understand it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What? That we need to dump Robertson? Based on past articles it said we'd have around $46 mill once we dumped Robertson.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Now you see in black and white a major reason why Shanny had to go. And the Goodmans were also complicit.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
What? That we need to dump Robertson?
Yep
Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Now you see in black and white a major reason why Shanny had to go. And the Goodmans were also complicit.

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Uh, now this is a strange post. Actually, I'd say Shanny and Co. did a pretty good job structuring most of the contracts.

However, it is apparent that you hate Shanny, so we'll just agree to disagree.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Yes, it's very clear that our track record in FA is abysmal. Niko and Colbert last year are unacceptable mistakes, particularly when coupled with Manuel and McCree on top of the disasters of prior years (most relevant now being Travis Henry).
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Uh, now this is a strange post. Actually, I'd say Shanny and Co. did a pretty good job structuring most of the contracts.

Yes, those Colbert and Niko contracts were huge successes, particularly when you consider the fact that we outbid only ourselves.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler

Do your job.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:

Not as good as the NE staff. Hopefully we will make personnel decisions similar to how they have. Hopefully.
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I just want to know how the hell it was slated that we were so high in free Cap before this article... I mean we were the 3rd best team in cap situation.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Exactly, and people have their panties in a bunch because the Broncos are making changes. Changes that need to happen for the sake of the franchise. Shanny and Co were running this team into the ground.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

TEAM-BY-TEAM CAP NUMBERS
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2009, 12:25 p.m. EST
We’ve gotten our mitts on the current team-by-team salary figures for 2009.

But while the 2009 salary cap will be $124 million, keep in mind that some teams’ limits will go up based on “likely to be earned” incentives from 2008 that weren’t reached, and thus carry over to 2009.

Likewise, a given team’s cap limit could be reduced based on “not likely to be earned” incentives that were reached in 2008, and thus must be accounted for against the 2009 cap.

Whatever the specific limit applicable to a given team, all teams must be in compliance with it by the close of business on February 26, 2009.

The current list by team, rounded to the nearest million, appears after the jump.

Cardinals: $84 million.

Falcons: $101 million.

Ravens: $104 million.

Bills: $98 million.

Panthers: $108 million.

Bears: $104 million.

Bengals: $95 million.

Browns: $113 million.

Cowboys: $121 million.

Broncos: $107 million.

Lions: $85 million.

Packers: $95 million.

Texans: $101 million.

Colts: $128 million.

Jaguars: $110 million.

Chiefs: $86 million.

Dolphins: $101 million.

Vikings: $105 million.

Patriots: $119 millon.

Saints: $130 million.

Giants: $112 million.

Jets: $125 million.

Raiders: $116 million.

Eagles: $93 million.

Steelers: $105 million.

Chargers: $107 million.

49ers: $111 million.

Seahawks: $103 million.

Rams: $109 million.

Buccaneers: $86 million.

Titans: $93 million.

Redskins: $131 million.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...m-cap-numbers/
Old 02-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Yes, it's very clear that our track record in FA is abysmal. Niko and Colbert last year are unacceptable mistakes, particularly when coupled with Manuel and McCree on top of the disasters of prior years (most relevant now being Travis Henry).
I thought this thread was about cap space, not nit picking FA choices. Your going off on a tangent that just demonstrates your preoccupation with Shanahan.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbileneBroncoFan View Post
Not as good as the NE staff. Hopefully we will make personnel decisions similar to how they have. Hopefully.
Actually according to this http://www.patscap.com/ which is this board (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-.../messageboard/) Eddie Mac

According to my figures the Patriots' 2009 cap figure is $123,062,338 with 50 signed or tendered players. The 2009 salary cap has been reported to be $123,000,000. I am projecting that the Patriots' 2009 adjusted cap will be $127,000,000. So I have the Pats under their adjusted cap by about $3.9 million. Please note that my numbers do NOT include the cap impact of expected tenders to the Patriots' ERFAs and RFAs or the escalators that may been reached by Logan Mankins, Billy Yates, David Thomas, Ryan O'Callaghan, Ross Hochstein, or LeKevin Smith. My numbers presume that Stephen Gostkowski has reached his escalator and that Jarvis Green has done enough to have earn his 2009 roster bonuses. My numbers also presume that when Ellis Hobbs, Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, and Nick Kaczur reached their escalators for the 2008 season that they also increased their 2009 salaries by at least the same amount. There is a good chance the aforementioned quartet have earned more.
DISCLAIMERS - My numbers are a snapshot in time. Things will change between the as of date and a future date.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I just want to know how the hell it was slated that we were so high in free Cap before this article... I mean we were the 3rd best team in cap situation.
Eddie Mac has the number and he usually really close. He project us at 29M under before restructuring or releases. The RMN article is still claiming the 14M Robinson number which when Eddie Mac called them on it they retracted in email but not in print
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I thought this thread was about cap space, not nit picking FA choices. Your going off on a tangent that just demonstrates your preoccupation with Shanahan.
Please see post #13. Also, to me it's fairly obvious that players whose bad contracts eat up cap space are very relevant in any discussion about cap space. The OP linked to an article that mentioned these same players and issues. Please follow along and stop being so sensitive about Mikey Mastermind.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
bombquixote
Ring of Famer

11-5 in 2009

$10 mil after the first round of cuts, with several big money contracts on players that will either renegotiate or be cut is not that bad. We'll have close to $35 mil to work with when all is said and done. Or at least that's the rough number I wrangled out of this article. We're fine, moneywise.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

So, given all that, the Broncos are expected to opt for some short-term pain by releasing players they don't believe are giving them the value they want and simply living with the "dead money" - charges on the cap for players no longer on the roster.

This is what I thought would happen. We take advantage of our cap space by purging the contracts of guys who don't fit the new era of Broncos football. Immediate players who pop into my head are Robertson, Niko, Winborn, Boss, Manual and Engelberger. Other names I wouldn't be shocked at all to see let go include Moss, Crowder, Bly, Stokley, Graham and Hamilton. I could also see Champ and/or Dumervil moved in a trade.

This isn't to speak negatively of all the players listed above, but simply the fact that we are looking at a complete new regime who will be looking for different types of players and have no attachment to any of the guys on the current roster. To have the cap space the Broncos do, and considering we're making a clean break into a new era, this is time to take the dead-cap money hits and free ourselves for the future.

Last edited by montrose; 02-13-2009 at 12:12 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Yes, those Colbert and Niko contracts were huge successes, particularly when you consider the fact that we outbid only ourselves.
Yeah, they really broke the bank on those two.......
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler

Do your job.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Actually according to this http://www.patscap.com/ which is this board (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-.../messageboard/) Eddie Mac

According to my figures the Patriots' 2009 cap figure is $123,062,338 with 50 signed or tendered players. The 2009 salary cap has been reported to be $123,000,000. I am projecting that the Patriots' 2009 adjusted cap will be $127,000,000. So I have the Pats under their adjusted cap by about $3.9 million. Please note that my numbers do NOT include the cap impact of expected tenders to the Patriots' ERFAs and RFAs or the escalators that may been reached by Logan Mankins, Billy Yates, David Thomas, Ryan O'Callaghan, Ross Hochstein, or LeKevin Smith. My numbers presume that Stephen Gostkowski has reached his escalator and that Jarvis Green has done enough to have earn his 2009 roster bonuses. My numbers also presume that when Ellis Hobbs, Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, and Nick Kaczur reached their escalators for the 2008 season that they also increased their 2009 salaries by at least the same amount. There is a good chance the aforementioned quartet have earned more.
DISCLAIMERS - My numbers are a snapshot in time. Things will change between the as of date and a future date.
If that is our cap situation after we have gone to 4 Super Bowls in 7 years and won 3 of them, then I'll be ok with that. The fact is, they don't go out dumping $80 million dollars on one free agent, and they aren't afraid to tell a player asking for too much money to piss off. They also draft extremely well and always have young guys step up and play well enough for them to keep on winning.
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbileneBroncoFan View Post
If that is our cap situation after we have gone to 4 Super Bowls in 7 years and won 3 of them, then I'll be ok with that. The fact is, they don't go out dumping $80 million dollars on one free agent, and they aren't afraid to tell a player asking for too much money to piss off. They also draft extremely well and always have young guys step up and play well enough for them to keep on winning.
Not really. The Pats have very little depth. The LB are aging rapidly, they have no youth at WR, and only one young RB (Maroney). The secondary isn't very good either age wise.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah, they really broke the bank on those two.......
I know right! He is talking like they were getting top 10 pick type contracts!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I know right! He is talking like they were getting top 10 pick type contracts!
Had we not signed them, we'd have enough money to go out and grab a different scrub!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Pos. Player 2009 cap figure
DT Dewayne Robertson $16,000,000
CB Champ Bailey $13,668,525
LB D.J. Williams $11,634,500
CB Dre' Bly $6,800,000
TE Daniel Graham $6,650,000
G Ben Hamilton $4,484,000
LB Boss Bailey $3,855,000
WR Brandon Stokley $3,785,416
RB *Travis Henry $3,600,000
LB Niko Koutouvides $3,061,666
QB Jay Cutler $2,712,500
LB Jamie Winborn $2,250,000
DE John Engelberger $2,185,000
T Ryan Clady $2,141,250
DE Jarvis Moss $1,900,000
WR *Keary Colbert $1,666,667
C Casey Wiegmann $1,350,000
S Marquand Manuel $1,333,333

Henry and Colbert. That's just ugly.

Also Manuel, Winborn, Engleberger, Koutouvides, Boss Bailey, Bly and Dewayne are all probably gone.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote