The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default The Absolutely Official: Team Cuts Threads (Possible FA's)

OK, let's be official about this.

I'm officially starting this official thread. Officially.

Post here when you see cuts by NFL teams, so we can see who is a cap casualty, and who just became relegated to the free agent cesspool.

Post you lists here, officially...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Jaguars cut losses with Porter, Florence
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Drayton Florence, Jacksonville Jaguars, Jerry Porter

As quickly as the Jaguars moved to shore up their roster last offseason, they have done the same this offseason.

The Jaguars cut WR Jerry Porter and CB Drayton Florence on Wednesday, both of whom signed big free-agent contracts last year. The moves free up $4.1 million from Jacksonville’s salary cap for the 2009 season.

Porter signed a six-year, $30 million contract with the Jaguars last year, but he failed to produce, catching 11 passes in 10 games. Now the team has cut Porter, saving $2 million against the cap.

Cutting Florence, who was relegated to nickel-back duty, saves the Jaguars another $2.1 million. Florence signed a six-year, $36 million contract last offseason but, like Porter, he lasted only one season in Jacksonville. Now he and his contract have been sent packing.

Whatever happened to Porter? I actually thought he was good for a season or two, then - down the tubes.... Officially.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Paladin
Ring of Famer

One thing I don't like about these kinds of threads is that someone always comes in and suggests that the Broncos should bring him in. That then is followed by the "2K" string and then a picture of the Lombardi. Some one else will chime in that the "so and so" couldn't tackle a 3 year old, let alone a player. The arguments will then deteriorate to name calling , statistics and other crap, but somehow, the thread keeps adding relevant stories between the arguments, and we wade through to get the tidbits.

Other than that, good thread.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
One thing I don't like about these kinds of threads is that someone always comes in and suggests that the Broncos should bring him in. That then is followed by the "2K" string and then a picture of the Lombardi. Some one else will chime in that the "so and so" couldn't tackle a 3 year old, let alone a player. The arguments will then deteriorate to name calling , statistics and other crap, but somehow, the thread keeps adding relevant stories between the arguments, and we wade through to get the tidbits.

TOO true...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Jaguars cut losses with Porter, Florence
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Drayton Florence, Jacksonville Jaguars, Jerry Porter

As quickly as the Jaguars moved to shore up their roster last offseason, they have done the same this offseason.

The Jaguars cut WR Jerry Porter and CB Drayton Florence on Wednesday, both of whom signed big free-agent contracts last year. The moves free up $4.1 million from Jacksonville’s salary cap for the 2009 season.

Porter signed a six-year, $30 million contract with the Jaguars last year, but he failed to produce, catching 11 passes in 10 games. Now the team has cut Porter, saving $2 million against the cap.

Cutting Florence, who was relegated to nickel-back duty, saves the Jaguars another $2.1 million. Florence signed a six-year, $36 million contract last offseason but, like Porter, he lasted only one season in Jacksonville. Now he and his contract have been sent packing.

Whatever happened to Porter? I actually thought he was good for a season or two, then - down the tubes.... Officially.
Jerry Porter was a good #2 WR if he had a great QB. He was great with Gannon and Collins. But by the time he got to Jacksonville, he was old, and didn't he have a knee injury the season before?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
bombay
Ring of Famer

The Broncos cut Anthony Alridge, PJ Pope, Chad Mustard, and two other guys who's names I forgot.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
The Broncos cut Anthony Alridge, PJ Pope, Chad Mustard, and two other guys who's names I forgot.
Alex Haynes, Clifford Russell
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Alex Haynes and Cliff Russell

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=8836
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Alridge! my boy....well, its funny how we maners prop up so many guys when our coaches feel quite differently. I still have no clue why someone wouldnt be interested in Alridge. He had a fantastic college career, has a very unique skill set, and looked very explosive last preseason
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:

I think YOU would go for 2K in our system.

mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Alridge! my boy....well, its funny how we maners prop up so many guys when our coaches feel quite differently. I still have no clue why someone wouldnt be interested in Alridge. He had a fantastic college career, has a very unique skill set, and looked very explosive last preseason
thats surprising to me, he did look really good in preseason, atleast worth another shot...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Son of a b****. This new coach is already ****ing **** up
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Actually, i think this is true of every single Mane thread period
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Texans Say Goodbye To RB Green
0Comment February 11 Houston Chronicle
"By waiving running back Ahman Green and outside linebacker Morlon Greenwood on Tuesday, the Texans saved $8.5 million on the salary cap.

Green (2007) and Greenwood (2005) signed with the Texans as free agents, and both lost their starting jobs last season. Green, 31, would have counted $6.5 million against the cap, but after two injury-plagued seasons, the Texans did what just about everyone expected and released him.

The emergence of rookie Steve Slaton, who rushed for 1,282 yards and had 1,659 from scrimmage, made Green expendable.

“Ahman was a different deal because of the injures,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “Slaton’s performance helped us make this decision.

“I told Ahman I appreciated what he gave us and that I was sorry it didn’t work out. He wants to keep playing, and I wished him the best.”

Greenwood, 30, would have counted $6.2 million against the cap. Xavier Adibi replaced Greenwood in the starting lineup. He joined the Texans after playing his first five seasons with Miami.

“Morlon’s one of the finest guys I’ve ever coached,” Kubiak said. “He worked his tail off and played well for us.

“He’ll play for somebody, but as I told him, we’re going in a different direction with Adibi.”

Green came to the Texans from Green Bay and signed a four-year contract worth $23 million. He suffered a knee injury in his first game and finished his first season on injured reserve. He suffered groin and knee injuries last season."
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Wilfork Is Wondering Just What The Deal Is
0Comment February 11 Boston Globe
"The unexpected rise of Matt Cassel and the Patriots' need to place the franchise tag on him may be having unintended consequences for the team's plans for the future and for prospective 2010 free agents seeking new deals such as Vince Wilfork.

Wilfork, one of the top nose tackles in the game and a pivotal piece of the Patriots' 3-4 defense, is entering the final year of the six-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2004, when the Patriots took him with the 21st overall pick. That deal averages $1.5 million per season.

He is due for a hefty raise, considering that 3-4 nose tackles Casey Hampton of the Steelers and Kris Jenkins of the Jets both made more than $5 million last season.

But whether it's because of the Patriots being consumed by the Cassel situation, or coach Bill Belichick dealing with turnover in the front office and coaching staff, or just a simple lack of interest in doing a deal, the team has not contacted Wilfork about an extension.

"Last year at this same time - that was the last time I heard from them," said Wilfork yesterday from Florida.

The 27-year-old Wilfork, who made the Pro Bowl in 2007 and this past season, wasn't making like Ty Law and accusing his coach of dishonesty or bemoaning an inability to feed his family.

He merely was being blunt about the lack of progress on a new contract that in an offseason without the Cassel saga probably would rank as one of the team's top priorities.

"The ball is not in my court right now," said Wilfork, who will carry an $800,000 base salary and a $1.44 million cap charge in 2009. "Nothing has happened. No progress has been made.

"I thought maybe there would be some sort of move forward, but everything is at a standstill. I'm sure they'll do whatever they have to do. I have that last year, and I'm preparing to play and play well. It's not going to change me. But they know the longer it takes the more it costs."

With $14.65 million dedicated to Cassel via his franchise tender and nearly a quarter of the $123 million salary cap ($29.27 million) currently devoted to two quarterbacks (Cassel and Tom Brady), the Patriots are not in an ideal position to negotiate with any of the 22 players who will be free agents after the 2009 season.

That is a group that includes Wilfork, guards Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal, defensive ends Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green, tight ends Benjamin Watson and David Thomas, linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel, running back Kevin Faulk, placekicker Stephen Gostkowski, and cornerback Ellis Hobbs.

Take the quarterbacks' combined cap hit and throw in wide receiver Randy Moss's $10.5 million charge, Seymour's $9.79 million, and the $6.4 million that linebacker Adalius Thomas is slated to count and you potentially have nearly $56 million - or 45 percent of the cap - tied up in just five players."
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

man Wilfork would look real good in a Broncos uni
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:

So true, that's how they always go.

Giants expected to cut kicker John Carney looseJohn Carney's performance on Sunday, when he made all three of his field goals for the NFC and became the oldest player in Pro Bowl history, was almost certainly his last performance as a Giant.

It should come as no surprise that the New York Giants are going to let the 44-year-old kicker become an unrestricted free agent on Feb. 27. According to one team source and one league source, the Giants' kicking job in 2009 will once again be a one-man show — as long as he‘s healthy — starring Lawrence Tynes.

The Giants weren't happy about carrying two kickers last season anyway, but they were forced into it when Tynes suffered a left knee injury in early August. They signed Carney on Aug. 30 and expected him to be a temporary replacement only.

But then Tynes suffered setbacks and Carney kept making field goals. In one of the finest seasons of his 20-year career, he converted 92.1percent of his attempts (35 of 38) during the regular season. His first two misses were blocked. In fact, he didn't miss outright until his final kick of the regular season during the Giants' loss in Minnesota.

Carney did miss two of his five attempts in the playoffs, though, contributing to the Giants' divisional playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

As good as he was most of the year, though, Carney is going to be 45 in April. Tynes will be 31 in May. Plus, Tynes still has four years left on a five-year, $7 million contract he signed last February.

Source: New York Daily News

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP)—The San Francisco 49ers waived linebacker Tully Banta-Cain and safety Keith Lewis.

Banta-Cain spent two seasons with the 49ers after leaving New England to sign as a free agent in his native Bay Area. The former University of California star never provided the pass-rush sought by San Francisco, generating just four sacks in 28 games.

Lewis, a sixth-round pick in 2004 from Sacramento, mostly played special teams for the 49ers.

San Francisco saved more than $2 million against the salary cap by releasing the pair. Coach Mike Singletary has said he hopes to upgrade his club’s pass rush and safety play in the offseason.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:

You forgot to mention that someone mentions something non sexual that someone else turns into definitely sexual followed by a pair o'boobs, then more boobs (not that there's anything wrong with that) then someone posts something that irritates them into suggesting a throat punch from Spider. And that is where all mane threads end up.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
You forgot to mention that someone mentions something non sexual that someone else turns into definitely sexual followed by a pair o'boobs, then more boobs (not that there's anything wrong with that) then someone posts something that irritates them into suggesting a throat punch from Spider. And that is where all mane threads end up.
You're right, pretty much every thread is Fonecoed from the start.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #20
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
You're right, pretty much every thread is Fonecoed from the start.
Or someone misspells a players name ala Foneco and the topic in the thread is lost after that.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Then let me be the first to suggest we trade for wilfork yesterday.. man he would beast it up and put up 3k in our offense take that to the bank!
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #22
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Then let me be the first to suggest we trade for wilfork yesterday.. man he would beast it up and put up 3k in our offense take that to the bank!
you forgot the trophy...
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Steelers Looking To Keep Harrison
0Comment February 12 ESPN.com
"As James Harrison continues to celebrate his success in Super Bowl XLIII, the Pittsburgh Steelers are working hard behind the scenes to secure their two-time Pro Bowl linebacker.

The Steelers are actively negotiating a pay raise and contract extension, according to Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, with the sides having discussions as often as twice a day.

"It's been a very open process, and it's going about the way you would expect," Parise said. "So I think everything is moving along."

Harrison was arguably the league's biggest bargain in 2008 with an annual salary of $1.2 million. He registered 101 tackles, 16 sacks, seven forced fumbles and was named the NFL's defensive player of the year."
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Bengals Not Likely To Tag Houshmandzadeh
0Comment February 12 Dayton Daily News
"The dark cloud looming over the Cincinnati Bengals has continued to cast a shadow over the organization this offseason, and will likely do so until after free agency when some of the cloudiness is expected to clear. However, the forecast is calling for stormy conditions when the NFL's free agency period begins Feb. 27.

The Bengals organization will be faced with some tough decisions during this time, but none tougher than deciding what to do with the team's brightest star wide receiver in T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who is set to hit the open market.

The team's choices are indeed limited. It's either sign the receiver to a long-term deal before the deadline, place the franchise tag on the player or lose him.

During a phone interview with Houshmandzadeh on Tuesday night, Feb. 10, he was forthcoming about his future with the Bengals and how all the talk of becoming a free agent is affecting him.

"It's not affecting me at all," he said. "We'll see what happens on the 27th and go from there. I'll have some idea when the 19th rolls around of what's going to happen. When those things come around then things will become a lot clearer."

Houshmandzadeh is currently working out in California preparing for next season and will be joined by fellow teammate Chris Henry today, Feb. 12.

There have been reports that Houshmandzadeh is unhappy with his situation in Cincinnati and is ready to distance himself from the dysfunctional family. Some things are true, some not so true. In fact, the receiver would welcome the chance to remain with the Bengals but things would have to be done the right way.

"It would be cool to remain with the Bengals because I got my start there," Houshmandzadeh said. "I'm not a person that prefers lots of change in my life, but if change has to happen, then change has to happen.

"When things like this are ongoing then obviously there are going to be some difference of opinions on your ability. That's the big thing and whatever happens, happens."

The Bengals would have to pay Houshmandzadeh $9.88 million in salary for the 2009 season if they where to slap the franchise tag on him.

"I don't want any part of the tag," he said. "The more I think about, I don't think I'll be franchised. It's a lot of money. If you franchise somebody what are you saying about the player? Obviously, you think he is that type of player, and if you think he's that type of player then you're franchising him."
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Plax Shops For New Team
0Comment February 12 New York Post
" The agent for Plaxico Burress angered the Giants this week by sending out an e-mail to every NFL team alerting them that Burress could be acquired in a trade, according to a report.

The message by agent Drew Rosenhaus was in the form of a list of his free-agent and draft-eligible players as well as three veterans he believes could be acquired in trades: Burress, Chad Johnson of the Bengals and Anquan Boldin of the Cardinals. All three are receivers.

The Giants, according to the report, notified the league that the team did not authorize Rosenhaus to pursue any trade of Burress and that any move toward asking about Burress would be tampering. The report added that Rosenhaus sent out a follow-up e-mail explaining he does not have permission to seek a trade for any of his clients. "