The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Did I do the wrong thing??????

AND NO THIS THREAD WASN"T CREATED BY SPIDER!!!!

So I am currently at a job........not the greatest........but stabe (work for a state college) So i also get to go to school for free......so once i finish up I plan on leaving anyways.

So with that being said........I am the newest employee they have (and ive been there 7 years) My boss comes up to me and offers me a supervisor job........great huh? Theres a catch: It's a majority on the weekends.......

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday
and 12 hours on either friday or monday (my choice)

well what did I do?

I told him no......because then i wouldn't be able to go to all the Broncos games........

He was kinda pissed.....and the rest of the day he didn't talk to me.

Looking back..... I probably should have made up another excuse......but I was just being honest.......

The Broncos ALWAYS come first.....

SO do you think I ****ed up?

UPDATE:
So I emailed him......thinking i could explain myself more.......basically what he said is this: I don't understand your love for the Broncos.....because......well they SUCK! =o) But I know you are young and your priorities aren't up to par yet....... but you are still my best worker and I appreciate that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by PaintballCLE; 02-09-2009 at 09:37 PM..
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

no you didnt .....nothing worse then doing something you dont want to do .........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

We have about 7 months before the next Broncos game. Maybe you could have tried out the new hours until then. Maybe that would have parlayed you into another position by the time Broncos football begins. It's a thought...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
We have about 7 months before the next Broncos game. Maybe you could have tried out the new hours until then. Maybe that would have parlayed you into another position by the time Broncos football begins. It's a thought...
But then you are putting the supervisor in a position of searching for a new replacement in 7 months ......... be honest and open up front , save everyone a head ache down the road
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Yep...that was my thought too.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

so there is 2 people for taking the dishonest road ..........
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Since you are the junior employee there and your boss is pissed you didn't take it, it makes me suspicious that its a crap job that everyone is refusing.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

Weekend jobs SUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuun. Refreshing honesty, IMO. You could've kept the Broncos part to yourself and still been on the good side (I'm not really into long weekend hours, but thanks for the offer, sir), but I don't know you and you should sleep just fine.
NeverBeenToDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

If its not a perfect job making tons of money I think you did the right thing, especially if you are young (sounds like you are). That being said sometimes you must sacrifice the things you love most to be in a comfortable position later in life. Its nice you have the choice now in life, later when a wife and kids are depending on your salary the Broncos won't loom quite so large.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

You shouldn't even have offered any excuse at all. Just one of these:

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

No employer expects to hear No because of the Broncos. Thats just not a typical excuse. While its very valid to you it is a trivial and selfish point to others. Most would give anything to have a supervisor position even if it meant weekends. I bet the last thing your boss expected to hear was no and it just compounded things when you gave him the reason.

I applaud the honesty but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get that opportunity again. My question to you is this. Is one year of Broncos football worth bettering your life and well being? I sacrificed numerous games and seasons because my job demanded it. In the long run it was worth it. Just don't look back and say man I was dumb to pass that up.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Seems like being student, a weekend gig would be ideal. I work my 40 M-F like most and take a full load of classes. Being able to not have to juggle that all M-F would be great. I would have the peace and quiet to study during the week and then get to spend a little time with the family. The Broncos will still be there when I graduate. But that's just me.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
ØrangeÇrush
Aaaayh!!!

your boss was trying to offload a bunch of crappy hours on to you and was giving you a supervisor position to make you think it was a step up.

Use them for school and get the f out of that job!
ØrangeÇrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post

So I am currently at a job........not the greatest........but stabe (work for a state college) So i also get to go to school for free......so once i finish up I plan on leaving anyways.

So with that being said........I am the newest employee they have (and ive been there 7 years) My boss comes up to me and offers me a supervisor job........great huh? Theres a catch: It's a majority on the weekends.......

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

I told him no......because then i wouldn't be able to go to all the Broncos games........

Looking back..... I probably should have made up another excuse......but I was just being honest.......

You did exactly the right thing. Sorry but in the last 15 years have not missed a game. When I wasn't working for myself all my bosses knew if denver was on don't expecty me to work. After the game I wasn't fit for work win or lose.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I was always in a job where if I wasn't at home I had the game on TV. But I still think that getting yourself set in life is way more important than scheduling your life around something that doesn't pay or reward you on regular basis.

The NFL is a great release from the real world but don't let it become your reality unless you are making it your job.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

He already stated it wasn't his ambition. I assume it has very little to do with his future...although he (or she) can forget about a letter of recommendation!
NeverBeenToDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I agree if its really just a college job they can bend me over a rock. But if it could bite you in the ass and somehow preclude you from finishing school then I would rethink things. Why change jobs if it works around school and your passion? Other than that its pretty simple. My original point was just don't let it stop you from furthering yourself in life. If that isn't the case then **** them.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØrangeÇrush View Post
your boss was trying to offload a bunch of crappy hours on to you and was giving you a supervisor position to make you think it was a step up.

Use them for school and get the f out of that job!
there is a day shift supv, evening shift supv, and weekend supv.......the order of ranking would be:

Director
Super intendant
Day supv
Night supv
Weekend supv
peon 1
peon 2 ect...........

though with that being said...........he did ask me first because he always said i go above and beyond expectations.......so i think he kinda took it like a slap in the face that i didn't take it............but i just had to be honest with him.....obviously he knows i love the broncos.......he gave me every monday off this past season so i could make all 16.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

If you don't care that you'll never be taken serious there and won't be able to use him as a reference, then you did the right thing. Also, he's going to do everything he can to replace you now.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I agree if its really just a college job they can bend me over a rock. But if it could bite you in the ass and somehow preclude you from finishing school then I would rethink things. Why change jobs if it works around school and your passion? Other than that its pretty simple. My original point was just don't let it stop you from furthering yourself in life. If that isn't the case then **** them.
yeah i agree.........i mean i guess if they lay people off i would be first.....since i am the newest........where if i was a supervisor all the peons would have to go first.......

And its not just a student job......its a full time job at the college......fullt ime state employee.....
Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #21
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

See update above.......
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I was always in a job where if I wasn't at home I had the game on TV. But I still think that getting yourself set in life is way more important than scheduling your life around something that doesn't pay or reward you on regular basis.

The NFL is a great release from the real world but don't let it become your reality unless you are making it your job.
NONSENSE !! DENVER BRONCOS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN REAL LIFE !!!
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

With the way things are now I would have taken it.

Maybe things would have changed come start of the new season.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

14 hours on sat
14 hours on sunday

well what did I do?

UPDATE:
So I emailed him......thinking i could explain myself more.......basically what he said is this: I don't understand your love for the Broncos.....because......well they SUCK! =o) But I know you are young and your priorities aren't up to par yet....... but you are still my best worker and I appreciate that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TeVo dude.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #25
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's TiVo, Baja.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote