The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID
Default Broncos Trophies Full Of Juice?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...s-nfl-a-break/

Haven't seen this posted yet so I apologize if it's already here somewhere. Thought it was interesting. A big storm could be imminent. Only a matter of time until the NFL takes some performance enhancing drug heat of its own. Am not personally saying the glory years are tainted as Denver certainly couldn't have been the only team.

....Romanowski has been praising BALCO and its signature legal supplement, ZMA, since at least 2000, when he told Muscular Development Magazine, “Victor’s the man. … I’ve got about 90 percent of the Broncos on ZMA.”
NeverBeenToDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Not to be funny, but Romo's numbers wouldnt certainly be accurate, considering he considers himself the entire team...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Not to be funny, but Romo's numbers wouldnt certainly be accurate, considering he considers himself the entire team...

Indeed. I never liked him myself. Am an ENORMOUS Broncos fan, but he rubbed me the wrong way from start. *****ing psycho. Then there was the spitting incident...after he broke Shannon Sharpe's arm, that sealed the deal for me.

EDIT: Not to mention the horrendous assault in Raiders spring training. He should have gotten hard time.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

You do realize that ZMA is a mineral /vitamin combination product.
The proportion of ingredients generally used in products is 20-30 mg Zinc, 400-500 mg Magnesium and ~10mg B6

If the Broncos were on ZMA so be it. I think we all are aware that Romo was on 'the clear' and could have very well been on GH during his playing days as well. He was much bigger and more defined at 30 than he was at 25. That's just not posssible for a pro athlete and is more likely to be seen in the general population (IE someone who never worked out then at the age of 30 decided to take up a fitness regiment). I would not be surprised to find that Shannon Sharpe took GH either although black males in general have higher than average testosterone levels than do other ethnic groups and that obviously can account for some level of muscularity(HIGH TESTOSTERONE also is a factor in Blacks increased risk for BPH, prostate cancer and heart disease).
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBeenToDenver View Post
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...s-nfl-a-break/

....Romanowski has been praising BALCO and its signature legal supplement, ZMA, since at least 2000, when he told Muscular Development Magazine, “Victor’s the man. … I’ve got about 90 percent of the Broncos on ZMA.”
That's a key phrase there... not that some weren't on illegal **** too.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
You do realize that ZMA is a mineral /vitamin combination product.
The proportion of ingredients generally used in products is 20-30 mg Zinc, 400-500 mg Magnesium and ~10mg B6

If the Broncos were on ZMA so be it. I think we all are aware that Romo was on 'the clear' and could have very well been on GH during his playing days as well. He was much bigger and more defined at 30 than he was at 25. That's just not posssible for a pro athlete and is more likely to be seen in the general population (IE someone who never worked out then at the age of 30 decided to take up a fitness regiment). I would not be surprised to find that Shannon Sharpe took GH either although black males in general have higher than average testosterone levels than do other ethnic groups and that obviously can account for some level of muscularity(HIGH TESTOSTERONE also is a factor in Blacks increased risk for BPH, prostate cancer and heart disease).
I did see the "legal" part, yes. Am certainly not trying to rip 98-99 which were some of the best times of my entire life. But you're nuts if you think there wasn't more to it. Of course, I still say our zone blocking + TD 2K + Grand Master John carried the day.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

BALCO was in some nasty stuff, but Romo didn't get the Broncos involved in it. He got the team into supplements and stuff of that nature.

Reading the book, Romo, is pretty insightful into the mind of Romonowski. He's pretty honest about what he did and didn't do.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I did see the "legal" part, yes. Am certainly not trying to rip 98-99 which were some of the best times of my entire life. But you're nuts if you think there wasn't more to it. Of course, I still say our zone blocking + TD 2K + Grand Master John carried the day.
Apparently you cannot read:

"If the Broncos were on ZMA so be it. I think we all are aware that Romo was on 'the clear' and could have very well been on GH during his playing days as well."
Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i look at it this way. Romo never got busted for baned substances and i don't recall anyone else on the SB teams getting busted either. So i really don't give a damn what they were taking.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Realistically, every Super Bowl winning team (and every team) since the 70s has had some players on the juice/performance enhancing drugs.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

The Steelers really set the precendent in the 1970's from things that I have read......
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Dean
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Realistically, every Super Bowl winning team (and every team) since the 70s has had some players on the juice/performance enhancing drugs.
Do you have some factual basis for making these assumptions?
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
richpjr
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Oh please, it would be the height of naivete to think that players of all of those teams weren't doing something. Hell, I'd venture to say that every team in the entire league (including the Broncos) has many players taking some sort of 'riod or growth hormone.
richpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Common sense.

I am not going to argue about it either....it is just my opinion.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He said he had 90% (which is debatable) of the team taking ZMA vitamins. So what?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He said he had 90% (which is debatable) of the team taking ZMA vitamins. So what?
TD was hopped up on Zinc. That's what.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That quote was from 2000. Who knows what stuff he shared with others. As much as Romo isn't high on my list, you'd have to be pretty despicable to indict other people when you're personally going down in that scandal.

In all honesty, it makes some sense. A lot of guys with unheralded pedigrees and "over-performing" would be an understatement.

But really, who cares? Some people are born with higher test levels than another guy. It's just a little leveling of the playing field for some... and for others, it makes it ridiculously unfair, but that's life
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Apparently you cannot read:

"If the Broncos were on ZMA so be it. I think we all are aware that Romo was on 'the clear' and could have very well been on GH during his playing days as well."
You took it wrong. Wasn't directed at you so much.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

As a huge baseball fan (slightly bigger than football)...I do think the double standard is out of control. Guess it's about those sacred records and the Babe and the old time boys of summer.

Those teams were performing so far above their normal "ratings"....but it was all Terrell opening the field for the Duke and the D stepping up at the right times. Beating KC at Arrowhead was nothing but fight and guts. Ahhh, what I'd give to experience that ride again.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
TheDave
Sauced...

They tested clean at the time... everything else is rumor and speculation.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #21
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
They tested clean at the time... everything else is rumor and speculation.
There were tests? I doubt it? What exactly is the history of steroid testing in the NFL..am curious.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I feel smarter already
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #23
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
There were tests? I doubt it? What exactly is the history of steroid testing in the NFL..am curious.
NFL... (unlike Baseball) began testing in 1987. Since then they have had one of the better "random" testing programs.

Personally i think the testing is a joke, but in the court of public opinion it's all that matters.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
NeverBeenToDenver
Rookie

Overreact Much?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TD's HoF BID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
NFL... (unlike Baseball) began testing in 1987. Since then they have had one of the better "random" testing programs.

Personally i think the testing is a joke, but in the court of public opinion it's all that matters.
I did not know this. Very interesting..makes sense with Alzado's brand of pioneering. Baseball really shot itself in the foot with their laughably slow response. 15 years after the NFL?! Really?!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I did not know this. Very interesting..makes sense with Alzado's brand of pioneering. Baseball really shot itself in the foot with their laughably slow response. 15 years after the NFL?! Really?!
It was part of the CBA. The best testing in sports is the Olypics and its widely agreed the second best is the NFL's.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote