The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Interesting Idea: Bolt

So, if Bolt decided to try his hand at the NFL, would any team give him a shot?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...e-nfl-prospect
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

This has been beaten into the ground. **** no. He would be terrible. He would get obliterated by a Safety on day one, and there goes his career.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
This has been beaten into the ground. **** no. He would be terrible. He would get obliterated by a Safety on day one, and there goes his career.
A heartfelt response. Wrong. But heartfelt. The actual truth of the matter is, you have no idea. Anyway, the question is, would any team touch him. Given his measurables (and the fact that this is the time of year when the NFL loses its mind in the face of measurables) the answer is, of course some team would take him.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
A heartfelt response. Wrong. But heartfelt. The actual truth of the matter is, you have no idea. Anyway, the question is, would any team touch him. Given his measurables (and the fact that this is the time of year when the NFL loses its mind in the face of measurables) the answer is, of course some team would take him.
I'm wrong when he gets a shot in the NFL. Thus, I'm Right. Good try though.

No NFL team is going to pay him what he would want, thus no shot. He would want probably top-10 money at least (like he makes on endorsements and everything anyway), and no team is going to pay that to someone who will be around so little (since he will likely be training to smoke everyone in the olympics again soon, and be dead the first time he runs into Troy Palamalu).

This topic was stupid like 2 days after his record setting run when everyone and their mother was asking ESPN if he would play in the NFL.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I'm wrong when he gets a shot in the NFL. Thus, I'm Right. Good try though.

No NFL team is going to pay him what he would want, thus no shot. He would want probably top-10 money at least (like he makes on endorsements and everything anyway), and no team is going to pay that to someone who will be around so little (since he will likely be training to smoke everyone in the olympics again soon, and be dead the first time he runs into Troy Palamalu).

This topic was stupid like 2 days after his record setting run when everyone and their mother was asking ESPN if he would play in the NFL.
You do get the concept of a football message board, right? It's where people bring up topics for discussion, not where one guy decides for everybody else what is worth talking about, and what is not. Okay? If you don't like it, in the immortal words of Mock, STFU.

Here's an interesting article on track stars in the NFL. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3289c20.html
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,983

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You do get the concept of a football message board, right? It's where people bring up topics for discussion, not where one guy decides for everybody else what is worth talking about, and what is not. Okay? If you don't like it, in the immortal words of Mock, STFU.

Here's an interesting article on track stars in the NFL. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3289c20.html
Ok so you get to decide who is right and who is wrong. Ok. Thanks for getting that across, I didn't realize I had to clear my ideas with you first.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Wasnt Willie Gault a sprinter of some kind before he went to the NFL? Or was that vice versa?
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,032

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

He's bean-pole thin. I agree that with one big hit he would either end his career or retire. He doesn't know how to digest a play book. He doesn't know how to run routes. Is he even quick? Can he catch? Can he block?

And the majority of those track stars were from America and played high school football as well as other sports all through high school and college, so there was no learning curve. Bolt has probably played Soccer and that's it.

Its not going to happen.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,849

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

The Raiders and Cowboys would each give him a shot.

As for a safety destroying him... doubt it. He's not a little guy. 6'5 and probably in the 215-225 range. No, he's not conditioned to take hits from guys like Palamalu... so he'd stay out of the way!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,404

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Are you kidding? Al Davis would sign him to a 5 year deal worth $30 MIL and $8 MIL guaranteed.

And I'm not joking.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
The Raiders and Cowboys would each give him a shot.

As for a safety destroying him... doubt it. He's not a little guy. 6'5 and probably in the 215-225 range. No, he's not conditioned to take hits from guys like Palamalu... so he'd stay out of the way!
I would be very surprised if he was over 200...

EDIT: you may be right, he isn't the skinniest sprinter i've ever seen. Here's a pic from the olympics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boltbeijing.jpg

Last edited by chaz; 02-09-2009 at 04:45 PM..
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,984

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBronco View Post
Are you kidding? Al Davis would sign him to a 5 year deal worth $30 MIL and $8 MIL guaranteed.

And I'm not joking.
He did that in the early 90s.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,376

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Is a Superdog even allowed to play in the NFL with humans? I'm sure Air Bud would have tried by now if it was possible.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's bean-pole thin. I agree that with one big hit he would either end his career or retire. He doesn't know how to digest a play book. He doesn't know how to run routes. Is he even quick? Can he catch? Can he block?
i agree completely. his measurables may be intriguing but, there is a difference between straight line speed and track speed than there is to the quickness needed to be a good WR. just because he is quick doesn't mean he can catch either.

but it wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a look.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-09-2009 at 09:22 PM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's bean-pole thin. I agree that with one big hit he would either end his career or retire. He doesn't know how to digest a play book. He doesn't know how to run routes. Is he even quick? Can he catch? Can he block?

And the majority of those track stars were from America and played high school football as well as other sports all through high school and college, so there was no learning curve. Bolt has probably played Soccer and that's it.

Its not going to happen.
Thats why you get him into camp and see what he could do. As far as routes go just have him run a deep out to get the saftey out of the play
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,849

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Put him in motion so he gets a head of steam, and let him sprint past everyone. IF he can catch he'd score 4 or 5 TDs of 60 yards or more... guaranteed!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #17
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

The funny thing people are missing here is the pads. Pads screw with people who are not used to wearing them for years at that level. Helmets are awkard and hard to adjust to seeing. It is a major skill transition with pads and specific techniques to learn.

That being said, if he wants to do it, he should get used to it for a year and hire a skills coach to train in pads and learn the game. He might be a quick learner with solid hands, you never know. However, just walking into a camp with no preparation would be a complete disaster.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,751

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Wasn't Roc Alexander the "fastest guy on the team" a couple years ago? Just sayin'...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #19
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Wasn't Roc Alexander the "fastest guy on the team" a couple years ago? Just sayin'...
Yep, pre Williams and Foxworth. Roc never had the mental ability to play at that level, and that is why he went Undrafted. The teams did their homework on him and he had character issues to boot. However, he could play and DEN rolled the dice when they had all those injuries in the secondary. He played great in the regular season until Wayne and Manning took him to the woodshed and was never seen again.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Put him in motion so he gets a head of steam, and let him sprint past everyone. IF he can catch he'd score 4 or 5 TDs of 60 yards or more... guaranteed!
Arena ball!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,404

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He did that in the early 90s.
Has there been a legit sprinter that has considered the move to the NFL since then? I honestly don't remember.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: wyoming
Posts: 748
Default

yes, with the raiders - of course - in the 80's .....problem is i just can't remember his name at this minute.
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido View Post
yes, with the raiders - of course - in the 80's .....problem is i just can't remember his name at this minute.
It was the 90's and his name was James Jett. All and all he wasn't all that bad. 30 career Tds he finished with 12 in 1997.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Denver Broncos