The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default 2009 new rules wish list

1. Playclock buzzer

There is just too much subjectivity in when delay of game gets called, some times teams get 2 or 3 extra seconds to get a play off because nobody is looking at the play clock.

2. 53 man game roster

It doesn't make sense that you have to sit 8 players each game. If you have 53 players on the roster they should all be able to play.

3. Everything is challengable

There are as many interpretations of what can be reviewed as there are referees, make away with these stupid provisions and make everything reviewable.

4. Taller goal posts

Kickers today can easily kick the ball over the posts on short field goals, just make the posts taller and make away with the doubt on high kicks.

5. Offensive pass interference should be a loss of down penalty and pushing off should be a 5 yard illegal contact penalty

Since defensive pass interference is such a severe penalty, offensive pass interference should be as well, but should only be called on plays where the offensive player tries to prevent an interception. For pushing off and bumping there should be a penalty equivalent to illegal contact.

6. The last and biggest change: new overtime system

It is just not right that the coin toss is so important. I propose a system where if a team scores, the other team gets 1 drive to score as well. Essentially it would like it is now, except that the first team to score doesn't win unless the other team can't score on the following drive.

Example: Team A scores a FG, Team B gets one drive to score, if they get a FG the game is tied and continues normally, if they score a TD then team A gets a chance to match the TD and so forth. You always have to at least match the score, so if Team A scored a TD then team B has to score a TD as well.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Bob can't create new threads. Oh and I especially like #6
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Eliminate the fair catch on punts...I want to see some blood out there dammit!
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

I wouldn't be opposed to changing the OT rule if someone can come up with a logical way. I hate the college rule and don't want to see another 15:00 of football and some guys getting hurt. Even if you shortened it in half to 7:30, who ever gets the ball first will have the ball the majority of that time anyway leaving the second team to get the ball with only a minute or two left.

The NFL have always said they will look into the OT change but they always come back with the team that wins the coin toss only wins roughly 50% of the time so it's not really the flip of the coin.

One rule I would like to see changed though and it was brought up during the superbowl is the half the distance to the goal penalty. Especially if you are already inside the 5 or so it doesn't really do that much damage.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I like everything BUT the new OT system.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I enjoy Sudden Death in the NFL. Its what makes it unique.

I would love for them to change the rules regarding horse collar. I know it gets guys hurt but I still hate the rule. Let the guys tackle in any way possible to get the guy down (albeit not to dirty).
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i would like to see pass interference become just a 15 yard penalty. no more of the getting 50 yard penalties for pass interference, just a flat 15 yard penalty would be better.

adopt the college overtime rules, play til there is a winner, both teams get at least 1 opportunity

lighten up on the roughing the passer calls. it is getting to the point where you can't even sneeze near a QB without getting penalized.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Honestly, #1 only happened once in the B-more/Tenn game. And lets be blunt. Tenn had 2 weeks to prepare, home field advantage, and the best record in the AFC. Only a homer/whiner/Bob attributes their inability to put away the Ravens to that one play.

#2 I like.

#3 is a push. I guess I see the point. However, this will slow the game down even more. Also, inevitably, a request will go out to have even more challenges every game.

#4 - ya ok, whatever.

#5 Of all the suggestions, this I like the best. The 'D' gets killed on a defensive pass interference play, the 'O' should at least have to give up a down. Good idea.

#6. I don't know. I am not in favor of the NFL following college ball, simply cuz the NFL is (supposed to be) superior to college ball. Wanna win? Go play defense.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

When a penalty is assesed close to the goal line, and the penalty is "half the distance to the goal", take the total distance the penalty was supposed to be, subtract the enforced distance, and add that distance to the chains. I.E. A 10 Yard Penalty on the offense at the 6 yard line on 2nd and 10 brings them the 3 yard line for 2nd and 17. It was proposed on Sirius NFL Radio, I believe.

Last edited by Killericon; 02-09-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
When a penalty is assesed close to the goal line, and the penalty is "half the distance to the goal", take the total distance the penalty was supposed to be, subtract the enforced distance, and add that distance to the chains. I.E. A 10 Yard Penalty on the offense at the 6 yard line on 2nd and 10 brings them the 3 yard line for 2nd and 17. It was proposed on Sirius NFl Radio, I believe.
I actually like this.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
1. Playclock buzzer

There is just too much subjectivity in when delay of game gets called, some times teams get 2 or 3 extra seconds to get a play off because nobody is looking at the play clock.

2. 53 man game roster

It doesn't make sense that you have to sit 8 players each game. If you have 53 players on the roster they should all be able to play.

There are as many interpretations of what can be reviewed as there are referees, make away with these stupid provisions and make everything reviewable.

4. Taller goal posts

Kickers today can easily kick the ball over the posts on short field goals, just make the posts taller and make away with the doubt on high kicks.

5. Offensive pass interference should be a loss of down penalty and pushing off should be a 5 yard illegal contact penalty

Since defensive pass interference is such a severe penalty, offensive pass interference should be as well, but should only be called on plays where the offensive player tries to prevent an interception. For pushing off and bumping there should be a penalty equivalent to illegal contact.

It is just not right that the coin toss is so important. I propose a system where if a team scores, the other team gets 1 drive to score as well. Essentially it would like it is now, except that the first team to score doesn't win unless the other team can't score on the following drive.

Example: Team A scores a FG, Team B gets one drive to score, if they get a FG the game is tied and continues normally, if they score a TD then team A gets a chance to match the TD and so forth. You always have to at least match the score, so if Team A scored a TD then team B has to score a TD as well.
7. Put two handprints on the QB jersey.....so the defense actually knows where they are allowed to touch them.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

In honor of Christain Bale, I shall reply in a tone that would please him. All in fun, no harm meant.

Yes to the goal line penalty. Now shut the **** up.

No to a buzzer (wtf? do you think anybody is gonna hear a ****in buzzer?) - I could see some kind of light that goes around the stadium that lights up when the clock hits 0 but ****in A dude, come the **** on. Get ****in real.

No to the defensive PI. Are you ****in retarded? So every time a WR gets long and is wide open, instead of having to cover the guy, a defender can just go interfere and only give up 15 yards. Yeah, yeah, let's take one of the most fun and thrilling parts out of football, the long pass. Is your brain the size of an ant? You ****in dip ****.

No to the 53 man roster all playing. They allow you to have ****in reserves. Are really that ****in stupid. If 53 guys could play then the would make the team roster 60 players. What a wanker.

Yes on the offensive PI. Okay, so you do have half a ****in brain, whoopdedo. Let's throw a mother ****in party.

Yes to taller goalposts. How stupid is the ****in NFL. How hard would it be to make taller ones? Cheap mother ****in dumb ass pricks.

No to Overtime - nobody wants to see ****in college rules overtime in the NFL. Get a ****in clue buddy. I'm getting ****in pissed here. I'll kick your mother ****in ass you prick.

No to everything being challengable. ****ing lame.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would like to expand a little on the playclock buzzer, it would be hooked up to an ear piece the refs would wear so they could hear it.

Quote:
When a penalty is assesed close to the goal line, and the penalty is "half the distance to the goal", take the total distance the penalty was supposed to be, subtract the enforced distance, and add that distance to the chains. I.E. A 10 Yard Penalty on the offense at the 6 yard line on 2nd and 10 brings them the 3 yard line for 2nd and 17. It was proposed on Sirius NFl Radio, I believe.
That is a good idea, but doesn't work on the other end of the field. However you could make it so any penalty that would take you into the end zone if you are on offense would leave you at the 1 yard line and give you 1st down.

If you are at the opponent 4 yard line and they jump offside you would get half the distance and be at the 2. I propose you get to take it to the 1 yard line and get 1st down.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Leave overtime alone pussies.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

2 words: Topless Cheerleaders.

Make it so, Commander Goodell.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Leave overtime alone pussies.
OT could actually be IMPROVED with one minor tweak ... NO Field Goals allowed on your first possession!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I actually like this.
I like it too, but it is kind of complicated. I can see a lot of refs scratching their heads when trying to place the ball. But it makes the most sense.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Helmet to Helmet calls should be reviewable. It is too fine of a line for when a receiver is "defenseless" or a "ball carrier". 15 yard penalties such as these have too much of an impact on games in terms of field position to not be reviewable.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
chawknz
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hey now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

I like #1. I whined to my friend a few times this season when we would get called for delay of game the moment the playclock hits 0, while other games I see the play clock hit zero for a full second (or longer) before it gets called, if at all. 3: Maybe not EVERYTHING challenge-able but lighten up the rules a bit. 4: Sure 6: I hate the NFL OT system. It's usually ways the luck of the flip. I too like the idea of allowing the opposing side a chance to answer a score. If they don't? Game over.
chawknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I don't know if you would be able to hear a playclock buzzer half the time, but I like the idea.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I don't know if you would be able to hear a playclock buzzer half the time, but I like the idea.
Put it in an ear piece. Or have a vibrator in the wrist watch or something.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #23
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Put it in an ear piece. Or have a vibrator in the wrist watch or something.

make the ball have an electric charge, then when the clock hits zero, if the center has not snapped it, he gets shocked, and the QB if he is under center.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
1. Playclock buzzer

2. 53 man game roster

4. Taller goal posts

Example: Team A scores a FG, Team B gets one drive to score, if they get a FG the game is tied and continues normally, if they score a TD then team A gets a chance to match the TD and so forth. You always have to at least match the score, so if Team A scored a TD then team B has to score a TD as well
Sudden death, adds drama, and if you want the win badly enough, you stop them. Simple.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote