The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Default Mayock´s top prospects at each position

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?...000d5d80dff358
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I thought James Laurinaitis had slipped some on other peoples board but i love this player. He's not super flashy just a really solid all around football player.

He probably needs to play the middle in a 4-3 though so who knows where Broncos like him as far as the draft goes.

I would be happy with him though I think he starts and plays really well for 10 plus yrs in the NFL.

One thing I like about him is he gets interceptions dropping into coverage and he stops the run well. Very good all around player.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Mike Mayock's top prospects by position for the 2009 NFL Draft
Rank Player School
Quarterbacks
*Matthew Stafford Georgia
*Mark Sanchez Southern California
*Josh Freeman Kansas State
*Nate Davis Ball State
Rhett Bomar Sam Houston State
Running backs
*Chris Wells Ohio State
*Knowshon Moreno Georgia
*LeSean McCoy Pittsburgh
*Donald Brown Connecticut
*Mike Goodson Texas A&M
Fullback
Tony Fiammetta Syracuase
Quinn Johnson LSU
Brannan Southerland Georgia
Wide receivers
*Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
*Jeremy Maclin Missouri
*Darrius Heyward-Bey Maryland
*Percy Harvin Florida
*Kenny Britt Rutgers
Tight ends
Brandon Pettigrew Oklahoma State
Shawn Nelson Southern Mississippi
Cornelius Ingram Florida
*James Casey Rice
Travis Beckum Wisconsin
Centers
Max Unger Oregon
Eric Wood Louisville
Alex Mack California
A.Q. Shipley Penn State
Antoine Caldwell Alabama
Guards
Andy Levitre Oregon State
Duke Robinson Oklahoma
Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
Tyronne Green Auburn
Herman Johnson LSU
Offensive tackles
Jason Smith Baylor
Eugene Monroe Virginia
*Andre Smith Alabama
Michael Oher Mississippi
*Eben Britton Arizona
Defensive ends
Rk Player School
Tyson Jackson LSU
Paul Kruger Utah
Robert Ayers Tennessee
Michael Bennett Texas A&M
Michael Johnson Georgia Tech
Defensive tackles
B.J. Raji Boston College
Peria Jerry Mississippi
Ron Brace Boston College
Fili Moala Southern California
Evander 'Ziggy' Hood Missouri
Inside linebackers
James Laurinaitis Ohio State
Rey Maualuga Southern California
Darry Beckwith LSU
Dannell Ellerbe Georgia
Jason Phillips Texas Christian
Outside linebackers
Aaron Curry Wake Forest
Brian Orakpo Texas
Brian Cushing Southern California
*Aaron Maybin Penn State
Everette Brown Florida State
Safeties
Louis Delmas Western Michigan
Rashad Johnson Alabama
Patrick Chung Oregon
William Moore Missouri
Michael Hamlin Clemson
Cornerbacks
Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State
*Vontae Davis Illinois
Alphonso Smith Wake Forest
Darius Butler Connecticut
*D.J. Moore Vanderbilt
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Out of the thirty D players, the Broncos might get two of them, possibly three.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Snarfalicious
Catalina Wine Mixerer

Certified

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John C. Reilly

I think so to Paladin. At least, I really hope so. Imagining any combination of three of those players would instantly help turn around this D.
Snarfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfalicious View Post
I think so to Paladin. At least, I really hope so. Imagining any combination of three of those players would instantly help turn around this D.
you kidding? Only about 10 of the players on that list will turn out to be good players.

If Broncos find one player in the draft that starts on defense, and becomes considered one of the NFLS good players they will be doing good.

I
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Nice effort at being positive there, sparkie.......
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Nice effort at being positive there, sparkie.......
It' just how it is. Finding Royal and Clady in same yr was great but don't expect to rookie starters every yr. I hope Broncos do find 3 defensive players that turn defense around but I would be happy with one player on defense of Clady or Royals ability. IMO the draft won't be like you all expect defense, defense, defense etc. I could even see Broncos going RB with first pick. I'm not saying that will happen only that I could see it.

I like a lot of the players on that list and think Broncos have some good young players to build on.

Funny thing is people on this board are always saying I'm negative. Remember last yr when i said the Def FA broncos were adding were going to stink? I was said to be negative, but I was also right.

Don't mistake realism for negativity. I love the Broncos and am always optimistic eventually we will get back on top. I just don't don't have blinders on.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I will say over last couple yrs rookies seem to be playing and starting earlier and earlier. Playing well too I might add. I don't know if it's because college coaches are better preparing them or what but 10 yrs ago you didn't see that very much.

Last yr had so many impact rookie players that this yr would seem hard to do as well. We will see.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I will say over last couple yrs rookies seem to be playing and starting earlier and earlier. Playing well too I might add. I don't know if it's because college coaches are better preparing them or what but 10 yrs ago you didn't see that very much.

Last yr had so many impact rookie players that this yr would seem hard to do as well. We will see.
We should be able to find at least 2 or 3 starters on this defense the way it is now, we have large holes of no talent. Our injuries and quality of talent allowed us to see kids like Larsen, Woodyard and Hillis that normally Shanahan wouldn't have given the time of day. They were a breath of fresh air and actually the highlite of the 08 season for me.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Snarfalicious
Catalina Wine Mixerer

Certified

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John C. Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
We should be able to find at least 2 or 3 starters on this defense the way it is now, we have large holes of no talent. Our injuries and quality of talent allowed us to see kids like Larsen, Woodyard and Hillis that normally Shanahan wouldn't have given the time of day. They were a breath of fresh air and actually the highlite of the 08 season for me.
Yeah, man. Maybe if we were a team that had a top 10 (or even 15) defense, 3 of those guys being added wouldn't be our starters on D. But the fact of the matter is, our gaping hole we call our "D" really only has 2 for-sure starters for 2009 if we go with a 3-4 (Bailey and Williams). The whole DL, both safeties, ILB, and both OLB positions are up for grabs. No one is sure what will happen with Bly. Some will contend that we have a couple other legit starters for a 3-4 (Thomas/Powell/Peterson possibly as DE, Larsen at ILB, and hopefully Bly as the other CB as long as he gets restructured).

But, with the amount of holes, and the seemingly overall lack of talent on our D, fact of the matter is, anyone that is drafted this year, has about as much chance of starting as anyone else that hasn't been mentioned. I have no problem with the whole idea of throwing our rookies into the fire and seeing what they are made of.

For instance, if we were to get Maualuga, Brace, and maybe a guy like Hamlin in the first 3 rounds, I would be willing to bet those guys would instantly contribute to this D from week 1, simply because they are all better than what we have. It's just the situation we are in, let's just really hope the best case scenarios work out in TC (Moss/Doom transition well to a rush OLB role, Barrett steps up at safety, and Thomas/Powell show the ability to play DE in a 3-4). Here's to wishful thinking.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Looks like a great year to move down. Other then Raji Curry I don't see anyone we have to have so why not bolster D with another day 1 D player.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If the Broncos had 3 rookies play at a high level on the defense I would be very surprised. Totally stoked, but surprised. I was surprised last yr that Royal was so good. I sort of thought Clady would be but getting 2 rookies to play at that level is rare IMO.

It does seem to be getting to where rookies play better so maybe that will become more normal.

I think to say well the defense was so bad we will have 3 rookies that can start may be true. But that doesn't mean defense got better unless those 3 are good NFL starters. Just being a little better then crap still get's your ass kicked on sunday.

I would honestly be very happy with one rookie in the front seven that plays at the level Clady did last yr. You throw in another one like we got in Royal and that would be amazing back to back yrs IMO.

Great to hope for but I wouldn't count on it.

Also don't be surprised when Broncos select a few offensive players. Maybe a young QB, RB, WR, C, OG etc who knows.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I wouldnt mind Orakpo or Chung after we get Maualuga or Raji.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Snarfalicious
Catalina Wine Mixerer

Certified

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John C. Reilly

Quote:
If the Broncos had 3 rookies play at a high level on the defense I would be very surprised. Totally stoked, but surprised. I was surprised last yr that Royal was so good. I sort of thought Clady would be but getting 2 rookies to play at that level is rare IMO.

It does seem to be getting to where rookies play better so maybe that will become more normal.

I think to say well the defense was so bad we will have 3 rookies that can start may be true. But that doesn't mean defense got better unless those 3 are good NFL starters. Just being a little better then crap still get's your ass kicked on sunday.

I would honestly be very happy with one rookie in the front seven that plays at the level Clady did last yr. You throw in another one like we got in Royal and that would be amazing back to back yrs IMO.

Great to hope for but I wouldn't count on it.

Also don't be surprised when Broncos select a few offensive players. Maybe a young QB, RB, WR, C, OG etc who knows.
I see what your'e saying definetly. But I would really hope we wouldn't just play a rookie simply because there a rookie, but because they are better at that position. I think there is difinetly a fine-line between putting a rookie in because he's ready, and putting a rookie in simply because he's supposed to be the future. Luckily for us, recently the rookies have taken the opportunity and took full advantage of it. I think a very important aspect of this is character and determination, because we all saw the drive in players like Royal, Hillis, Larsen, Woodyard, Clady, and even Torain before he got hurt.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I wouldnt mind Orakpo or Chung after we get Maualuga or Raji.
Chung in the second is a real possibility, but Okrapo, Maualuga, and Raji should all be first rounders. I'd be happy with any or all of those guys also.

To me, Larsen is the real wildcard in our LB situation. How will he step up in his second year? Does he fit the "new system" and do the coaches like him?

If the coaches like Larsen, we might already have 3 of our 4 LB positions filled (based on their praise of DJ, and their "discussions" with Elvis). If we need a third round ILB, I like Beckwith from LSU. His coaches sure talked about him as a difference maker on their squad.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
It' just how it is. Finding Royal and Clady in same yr was great but don't expect to rookie starters every yr. I hope Broncos do find 3 defensive players that turn defense around but I would be happy with one player on defense of Clady or Royals ability.
denver has had a hell of a good couple years drafting, i don't think it is out of the question that if we draft smart that we couldn't get 3 or 4 impact players at least in the draft this year.
Last year Clady, Royal, Larsen, Barrett, Larsen and Woodyard were all huge contributors for us. Each one of them at some point in the season started for us at one point.

the year before while drafting for Bates wants, Marcus Thomas is still playing and is a starting DT and has played solidly for us

year before that, the greatest draft in franchise history
Cutler, Scheff, Marshall, Doom, Hixon(good player for the Giants and has a SB ring) Kuper, Eslinger(back with the team has talent and could possibly be a contributor)
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
denver has had a hell of a good couple years drafting, i don't think it is out of the question that if we draft smart that we couldn't get 3 or 4 impact players at least in the draft this year.
Last year Clady, Royal, Larsen, Barrett, Larsen and Woodyard were all huge contributors for us. Each one of them at some point in the season started for us at one point.

the year before while drafting for Bates wants, Marcus Thomas is still playing and is a starting DT and has played solidly for us

year before that, the greatest draft in franchise history
Cutler, Scheff, Marshall, Doom, Hixon(good player for the Giants and has a SB ring) Kuper, Eslinger(back with the team has talent and could possibly be a contributor)
Well really Larsen the jury is out on, Barrett IMO played really bad, Woodyard is a little small I see him sort of a bit player.

Obviously though Broncos have had some good drafts on the offensive side, but I wouldn't put Eslinger in with that list.

Life I said though to say Broncos will get 3 good starters on the defensive side is a bold prediction. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it probably won't.

I like your optimism though, just don't be pissed when the team drafts some dudes you never heard of.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

They'll get three starters. At this point we should all be thrilled if they turn out to be just average. Hopefully we'll get an impact player and a couple of solid players.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I hear people hereon who simply dismiss the D as having only two players with talent. Yet I also heard people say that the coaching and the game schemes were terrible. There are some weaknesses in the D, absolutely no doubt. It does seem to me that some of those payers (rookies mainly) did learn something. I do not know what next year will bring, but I don't think the players are all messed up. I think the coaching had something to do with it. Slowik did not have a good D organization to make it work.....

I am looking forward to the FA period and see what happens there. Maybe very little, maybe one "sort of biggee" and a small fry, or whatever. But the draft - if the past two years are prologue - denotes some exciting possibilities may be extant. I am not wearing blinders. But I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, either......
Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Well really Larsen the jury is out on
I dont think the jury is still out on him.
He was a 6th rounder, even if he never starts and is a versatile backup and special teamer he would still easily be worth the pick.

He is a beast on STs, and I like his potential at ILB
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I dont think the jury is still out on him.
He was a 6th rounder, even if he never starts and is a versatile backup and special teamer he would still easily be worth the pick.

He is a beast on STs, and I like his potential at ILB
Our D played its best when Larsen and Woodyard played I agree Buster Larsen is a beast.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

There are some interesting top 5's here. I think Mayock is doing the best job of the TV talking heads in terms of ranking players and such. There are some that I definitely disagree with though.

I think Knowshon is a 2nd rounder at best. He has some qualities that you look for in a HB but he's too much side to side for me in the NFL and some of the highlight reel runs he has in college aren't going to work in the NFL... in fact they are going to get him injured. I definitely see McCoy as the 2nd best HB and i'm surprised that Mayock didn't rank Shonn Greene. He won't pass the sexy test and he's probably a 4.5 back AT BEST but you can't argue his running style. He's a guy that's should be picked up for a system and when he does, he's going to be a great value.

I think Alex Mack is still the best center in the country despite Raji abusing him at the senior bowl.

Mayock has me scooped at guard and DE. I absolutely LOVE Adam Levitre. He's going to be a steal for somebody but with the pub he'll get from this, he goes from a 3rd/4th rounder to a 2nd/high 3rd rounder. He'll get knocked for his short arms but hes an ass kicker.

In a perfect world, Denver trades back and lands my top two DE's, Kruger and Jackson. I think those guys are prototype DE's in the 3-4. Kruger will be a good pass rusher at the next level in either system, a 4-3 or 3-4 and has the size to pack more weight on that 6'5" frame. Jackson is vastly underrated but I think he's great.

I don't agree with the OLB rankings but with 3-4/4-3 defenses, its really hard to categorize some of these guys. Transitioning positions from DE to OLB automatically puts Brown, Maybin and Orakpo behind some of the other guys but I wouldn't want Cushing over any of them in the 3-4.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Mayock is also projecting Brian Orakpo as a 3-4 OLB ... who's close to a Top 10 pick:

Quote:
Mayock spoke glowingly of a couple outside linebackers who would fit well into the 49ers' 3-4 defense. Mayock said Wake Forest outside linebacker Aaron Curry, who he expects to go to the Chiefs at No. 3, might be the "safest" pick in the draft. .He also said Texas' Brian Orakpo will be a stand-up pass-rusher who could be a top-10 pick.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...e-logical.html

Sounds like our guy ... then Ron Brace in round 2.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Mayock is also projecting Brian Orakpo as a 3-4 OLB ... who's close to a Top 10 pick:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...e-logical.html

Sounds like our guy ... then Ron Brace in round 2.
The concern with Orakpo is he has knee injury history and he might be changing positions. But I agree with you, BB. I think he's our guy.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: