The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
NHAggie
Just Drafted

Default Boston Globe article about HC McDaniels

A very intresting and informative article about our new head guy.

Here is the link:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...y_step_of_way/

I think we're in good hands!
NHAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

"It's hard to really narrow it down to one, because this guy has meant so much to me, not only professionally but personally," he said. "I know people won't really understand that, and it's hard to explain that to some people outside of that building.

Discuss
COMMENTS (12)
"But he's really mentored me, taught me how to be a good coach, taught me how to identify a way to win each week, taught me how to evaluate players, taught me how to be a part of the draft.

"He was a mentor in other ways, a very big influence in my life, from off-the-field things, decisions you had to make, those kinds of things. There was nothing that he turned me away for.

"He would always be there to give me his advice. To me, that's the greatest thing I got from him - he was willing to help me in any way to become a good coach and a good person."

The 32-year-old McDaniels said that as he went through the process of interviewing for head jobs last month - with the Cleveland Browns and Broncos - he ultimately made the final, difficult decision by consulting with a small inner circle that included his wife Laura, his parents, and Belichick.

He said he was unsure how it would unfold, but that "too many stars started to line up" as discussions progressed with the Broncos. He saw similarities between the Broncos and Patriots, starting with owner Pat Bowlen's all-encompassing commitment, which seemed to reflect what he experienced with the Kraft family.

As a sign of respect, McDaniels decided he wouldn't hire anyone from Belichick's staff.

Already, however, McDaniels is beginning to shape the Broncos in a Patriot-like way.

"We're going to try to do the best thing for the team," he said. "We're going to try to build a well-rounded team that competes. I want to build a tough team, I want to build a team that's smart, and one that can win close games, which in my mind comes down to being able to play well under pressure.

"It's something I don't think comes along because you say it. You have to work at that and stay committed to bringing in tough, smart players that want to win and love football, and are willing to prepare and work hard."

If it sounds downright Belichickian, it's supposed to. As McDaniels is one month into his new job, many of the things he's implementing in Denver are those he learned under Belichick.

"There are so many things that he taught me that are invaluable to me, that it's impossible for me to repay," he said.

Thanks for sharing NHAggie. That's a good article in brief about our new head coach.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

That was a pretty good read.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Yeah, the more I read about him, I'm glad he is the Bronco's coach!!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

he still has to prove it to me, but at least he has been saying all the right things.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

He has his work cut out for him, this team needs some leadership desperately.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
"It's hard to really narrow it down to one, because this guy has meant so much to me, not only professionally but personally, but I'd probably say camera work" he said. "I know people won't really understand that, and it's hard to explain that to some people outside of that building.

Discuss
COMMENTS (12)
"But he's really mentored me, taught me how to be a good coach, taught me how to identify a way to win each week, taught me how to evaluate players, taught me good film angles, taught me how to be a part of the draft.

"He was a mentor in other ways, a very big influence in my life, from off-the-field things, decisions you had to make, those kinds of things. There was nothing that he turned me away for, he even helped me tape my daughter's birthday pary.

"He would always be there to give me his advice. To me, that's the greatest thing I got from him - he was willing to help me in any way to become a good coach, a good cinematographer, and a good person."

The 32-year-old McDaniels said that as he went through the process of interviewing for head jobs last month - with the Cleveland Browns and Broncos - he ultimately made the final, difficult decision by consulting with a small inner circle that included his wife Laura, his parents, and Belichick.

He said he was unsure how it would unfold, but that "too many stars started to line up" as discussions progressed with the Broncos. He saw similarities between the Broncos and Patriots, starting with owner Pat Bowlen's all-encompassing commitment, which seemed to reflect what he experienced with the Kraft family, plus he had a sweet new Sony HD handheld.

As a sign of respect, McDaniels decided he wouldn't hire anyone from Belichick's staff, he did steal a tripod though.

Already, however, McDaniels is beginning to shape and tape the Broncos in a Patriot-like way.

"We're going to try to do the best thing for the team," he said. "We're going to try to build a well-rounded team that competes. I want to build a tough team, I want to build a team that's smart, and one that can win close games, which in my mind comes down to being able to play well under pressure, and knowing how to edit.

"It's something I don't think comes along because you say it. You have to work at that and stay committed to bringing in tough, smart players that want to win and love football and splicers and are willing to prepare and work hard."

If it sounds downright Belichickian, it's supposed to. As McDaniels is one month into his new job, many of the things he's implementing in Denver are those he learned under Belichick.

"There are so many "things" that he taught me that are invaluable to me, that it's impossible for me to repay, if you know what I mean.

Color me excited!

Last edited by bowtown; 02-08-2009 at 09:07 PM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Thanks for sharing!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
he still has to prove it to me, but at least he has been saying all the right things.
hes gotta prove it to everyone, but as of now i think everyone should be behind him 100% for the next 3-4 years. everything seems good about what hes doing, and for him to take two pro bowl players in cutler and marshall, plus eddie and tony could be very crazy to see what happens. im excited
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Yes but will we be filming the other teams defensive signals.
I kid, I kid
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

barf
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
barf
avoid looking in the mirror next time
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

If I never heard about the 'Patriot Way' or Belicheat again it would be too soon for me.

McD isn't going to the Detroit Lions and trying to show them how to win a few games.

He is coaching the Denver Broncos. A team that was successful when the Pat logo was still squating and Grogan was running for his life.

If he really needed a inner circle to decide between Cleveland and Denver...then he isn't as smart as people give him credit for.

It is cool to know where you are from and appreciate your mentor...but remember where you are going as well. The last thing I want Denver to try to be is Patriot-West.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Dude it's a Boston newspaper article. You think they asked anything about Denver? They don't like us much. Probably chapped a few asses that he went to Denver.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
The last thing I want Denver to try to be is Patriot-West.
Yeah, it would SUCK to be ANYTHING like the Patriots... >sarcasm<
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
The last thing I want Denver to try to be is Patriot-West.
id personally love it. they draft well, they develop players better then any team in the league, they have an awesome offense and tough, hard hitting defense. 3 super bowls this decade as well and a near miss on a 4th. the patriots, minus the scandals and douchebag-ness of belicheck, are what every team should want to be.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

**** Boston sports. And **** the cheating ass patriots
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
avoid looking in the mirror next time
People are still saying that in San Diego? Welcome to 1987.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
People are still saying that in San Diego? Welcome to 1987.

Coming from the guy who just used the term "barf."
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

(yawn)
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
id personally love it. they draft well, they develop players better then any team in the league, they have an awesome offense and tough, hard hitting defense. 3 super bowls this decade as well and a near miss on a 4th. the patriots, minus the scandals and douchebag-ness of belicheck, are what every team should want to be.
Patriots have always wanted to be the Broncos of the East.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote