The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Worst Sports Year Ever for one City?
Denver 1982 1 3.23%
Seattle 2008 27 87.10%
Other (please explain) 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Worst Sports Year Ever ... Denver 1982 or Seattle 2008?

All during 2008, while everything was falling apart here in Seattle sports, I had this funny deja vu feeling I had experienced this before. Sure enough, I finally remembered it was 1982 in Denver.

VOTE!

DENVER 1982
DENVER BRONCOS (NFL) - In strike-shortened 9 game season, second year head coach Dan Reeves' team finishes in last place with a dismal 2-7 record. And with Steve DeBerg at quarterback, they set a then post-merger record for worst turnover average per game. The only positive is they are seeded #4 in the next draft, where they take Chris Hinton, whom they trade for John Elway.
DENVER NUGGETS (NBA) - In Doug Moe's second season as head coach, the Nuggets become the first NBA team ever to score at least 100 points in every game. Finish in second place at 46-36, lose to Phoenix in round one of playoffs.
COLORADO ROCKIES (NHL) - Finished 18-49-13, last place. Despite decent attendance, the team is sold to the third ownership group in five years, who pack them up and move to become the New Jersey Devils.
COLORADO BUFFALOES FOOTBALL - With some new guy from Michigan named Bill McCartney in his first year, and still wearing the Chuck Fairbanks-era Columbine Blue uniforms with gold and black trim, Buffs finish a dismal 2-8-1, including a home loss to the Wyoming Cowboys. The team's prospects are so bleak, some students (who shall remain nameless), sneak into games free at halftime to avoid paying the $5 student admission price.
SEATTLE 2008

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (NFL) - The four-time defending NFC West Champs Seahawks hoped to fulfill what many predicted to be a Super Bowl finish for retiring coach Mike Holmgren. Instead they suffered historic injuries on their way to a shocking 4-12 finish. So many WRs get hurt, they're forced at one point to list backup QB Seneca Wallace as #3 wideout, and they scramble to sign/trade for six new WRs over the season. QB Matt Hasselbeck also misses 10 games with injuries.
SEATTLE MARINERS (MLB) - With newly acquired P Erik Bedard, the Mariners were the consensus pick to battle the Angels for the AL West pennant. Instead they inexplicably stumbled out of the gate, and spend all but 9 days of the season in last place on their way to 101 losses. On June 16, GM Bill Bavasi manager was fired, and three days later, after a profanity-laced post-game press conference, manager Jim McLaren is also fired.
SEATTLE SUPERSONICS (NBA) - Despite the excitement of top draft pick Kevin Durant, and constant rumors the team will soon relocate, the city yawns through a dismal 20-62 season. Afterward, the new owners relocate to OKC. E-mails surface that seem to prove the new owners intended all along to move the team - which would be fraud - but the city chooses to accept a buyout rather than pursue a lawsuit.
WASHINGTON HUSKIES FOOTBALL - 0-11 pretty much says it all. Star QB Jake Locker out for the season early, head coach Tyrone Willingham fired.

VOTE!

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 02-08-2009 at 01:05 AM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

In my mind, it is not possible to have a worse sporting year than what Seattle just went through.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
In my mind, it is not possible to have a worse sporting year than what Seattle just went through.
Is that why you moved away from Seattle and out of the country?

Or did this happen BECAUSE you moved away from Seattle and out of the country?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

If it wasnt a short season for the Broncos, we would have won the rest of our games and made the playoffs or the bubble. I heard it on the light rail.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I heard on the light rail that McDaniels and Nolan and the new guys expect Elvis Dumervil to grow into an Adelius Thomas/Terrell Suggs-like 3-4 rushing LB. They expect him to become a big star
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I heard on the light rail that McDaniels and Nolan and the new guys expect Elvis Dumervil to grow into an Adelius Thomas/Terrell Suggs-like 3-4 rushing LB. They expect him to become a big star
i agree. in a position where he isn't having to go head to head with a LT and can rush from outside the DE's. i think he can become a 15 sacks a year guy.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

I heard on the light rail just the other day that Seattle probably really did have the worst sports year ever!@
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

bump for more votes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Is that why you moved away from Seattle and out of the country?

Or did this happen BECAUSE you moved away from Seattle and out of the country?
Not sure!

Even not being a fan of anything Seattle, my friends are, and I can appreciate how absolutely horrible they felt this last season.

It was definately an experience though seeing how a community deals with the loss of a professional team (Sonics). Interesting to listen to the radio shows and hear people express their opinions. I wouldn't wish any fan to have to endure that.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I will go with 1995 in Los Angeles.

The city lost not one but TWO NFL teams that year and have yet to have a team located or a regular season game played there since.

The LA Kings not only finished 12th out of 13 teams in the conference during the 1995 season....but they traded The Great One during mid-season.

Magic tried to make a comeback that year and embarrassed himself in their first round playoff loss to Houston. He retired for good afterwards.

Clippers finished in last place.

To be fair 1995 also had some good thing happen for LA Sports.

The Dodgers won a division title.
The Galaxy became a charter member of MLS.
UCLA won a championship in Mens basketball with Ed O'Bannon (fun team to watch).

All told, the loss of two NFL teams, #99 and #32 in the same year puts them over the top.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #11
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
I will go with 1995 in Los Angeles.

The city lost not one but TWO NFL teams that year and have yet to have a team located or a regular season game played there since.

The LA Kings not only finished 12th out of 13 teams in the conference during the 1995 season....but they traded The Great One during mid-season.

Magic tried to make a comeback that year and embarrassed himself in their first round playoff loss to Houston. He retired for good afterwards.

Clippers finished in last place.
Excellent third option ... and Gretzky left the Kings that year too I think.

Funny, but I was living in LA in 95 .... and in Denver in 82 .... and in Seattle in 08.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #12
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Actually .... losing TWO football teams, Gretzky and Magic all in the same year might be the real winner.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Thing about LA is, nobody gave a damn about football. That was and is a basketball/baseball town first, and if the football team is losing, nobody goes, period.

Seattle's gotta take it. The Sonics were the only one of their teams to have ever won a league title, and they're gone. I have family up there, and... it just ain't right what happened up there.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

A) Colorado can never have a worst sports year ever, unless teams just pick up and move.
and;
B) CU sucking is just pure fun, so that doesn't make it such a bad year.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Excellent third option ... and Gretzky left the Kings that year too I think.

Funny, but I was living in LA in 95 .... and in Denver in 82 .... and in Seattle in 08.
You should move to Oakland this year and get a time share in SD
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote