The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default I Didn't Leave A Tip

I'm a good tipper -- not a great tipper -- but a good tipper. Usually 15% - 20%, maybe a little more a little less depending on service. But I've never not tipped before.

We order our meals, which went fine.

Halfway through our meals, we need more drinks. No waitress.

Finish our meals, no waitress.

20 minutes later she shows up, and we get our drinks and our receipt.

Finish our drinks, put the debit on the table.

A half hour before she shows back up so we can cash out.

Awful - 50 minutes of pointless waiting with 0 "check ups". No tip for you ma'dam.

At what point does not tipping become acceptable?

And is just walking out ever okay?
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Id say that was acceptable...I base my tip on the service though...
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

As a former waiter I tip 20% most of the time but in a case like you had I would have done the same. Its not your fault she didnt get a tip its hers. I worked hard for mine.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Alkazar
NPN Mascott

Bronco's Thunder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steph Alexander

I'm sorry but I'm from the old school in this, a tip is supposed to be used to show appreciation for some one who goes above and beyond the normal service. In this case, I would have been demanding a reduction of the bill with the manager.
Alkazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

2 cent tip , but most of all tell her why ..........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Sounds like she was probably overwhelmed. Most of the time when you get poor service, that's the case. It doesn't make it O.K... but generally, it's when too much happens at once or when servers have too large of stations.

I think not tipping is most appropriate if the lack of service seemed intentional or unapologetic. But, your experience sounded pretty bad.

Waited and bartended from 16 until my late 20s before moving onto my career and it was great. You learn a lot being on both sides of things.

5 minutes seems like a half-hour when you need your drink refilled.... and you really shouldn't have to wait.

I also wonder why no busser/server assistant or manager ever made their way by your table? What kind of place was it?

Bad service happens. It's inevitable. The best servers will have rough times.
It feels personal when it happens to you, but of course... it's not.

People who know how to dine can help the experience, too. One KILLER for waiters is the one-timers. That's the table that needs ONE item every time you go back. So, you'll deliver a drink... then come back and they need bread... then come back and want to see a wine list... then water, etc.
Communicating with the rest of your table when a server IS at your table to get bulk-orders helps everyone, including the other people in the servers section.

But, sometimes servers just screw it up. It happens. Good servers/bartenders are talented people. It's a fairly complex thing to do consistently well, particularly in a high-maintenance setting.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
2 cent tip , but most of all tell her why ..........

exactly, always leave a penny or 2, if you leave nothing she may think you forgot, because it happens, but if they get a penny they know they did wrong.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I like to catch the waitress' eye, put my index fingers vertically about a foot apart, and whistle while shrinking the distance - letting her know the "Tip Meter" is running out.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Popps you may be right but you know that not everyone works hard. She may have been standing around talking or sneaking out for a smoke. Thats way to long to be waiting 10 minutes I could see not 20 and 30.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
I like to catch the waitress' eye, put my index fingers vertically about a foot apart, and whistle while shrinking the distance - letting her know the "Tip Meter" is running out.
lulz
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Sounds like she was probably overwhelmed. Most of the time when you get poor service, that's the case. It doesn't make it O.K... but generally, it's when too much happens at once or when servers have too large of stations.

I think not tipping is most appropriate if the lack of service seemed intentional or unapologetic. But, your experience sounded pretty bad.
I'm pretty understanding if things are busy. She had two tables in our room. The other waitress had maybe 5 or 6 and provided respectable service. I don't know how many (or if any) she had in the other room, but the place isn't that big and it wasn't that busy.

Quote:

5 minutes seems like a half-hour when you need your drink refilled.... and you really shouldn't have to wait.
We watched the clock. The times are right.

Quote:

I also wonder why no busser/server assistant or manager ever made their way by your table? What kind of place was it?

It's dinor/tavern between the suburbs and rural.

Quote:

Bad service happens. It's inevitable. The best servers will have rough times.
It feels personal when it happens to you, but of course... it's not.

People who know how to dine can help the experience, too. One KILLER for waiters is the one-timers. That's the table that needs ONE item every time you go back. So, you'll deliver a drink... then come back and they need bread... then come back and want to see a wine list... then water, etc.
Communicating with the rest of your table when a server IS at your table to get bulk-orders helps everyone, including the other people in the servers section.

But, sometimes servers just screw it up. It happens. Good servers/bartenders are talented people. It's a fairly complex thing to do consistently well, particularly in a high-maintenance setting.

I understand. I don't have high expectations. I never stiffed a tip before and had ''bad'' service'' before. This felt it past the point of bad and into inexcusable.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
exactly, always leave a penny or 2, if you leave nothing she may think you forgot, because it happens, but if they get a penny they know they did wrong.
Well, I paid by debit so I put a line through the receipt where it says ''tip''. So I don't think there will be any confusion.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
I'm a good tipper -- not a great tipper -- but a good tipper. Usually 15% - 20%, maybe a little more a little less depending on service. But I've never not tipped before.

Awful - 50 minutes of pointless waiting with 0 "check ups". No tip for you ma'dam.

I had to stiff a waitress in a similar situaition ( i didn't feel bad at all) she was basically worthless, i walked into the wait station and grabbed my own water pitcher so i could refill our drinks and she never cleaned the plates off from the appitizers the tables where small and there was very little room as it was.

You chick get a big fat 0 and you earned it.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Bronco View Post
Popps you may be right but you know that not everyone works hard. She may have been standing around talking or sneaking out for a smoke. Thats way to long to be waiting 10 minutes I could see not 20 and 30.
Absolutely, and I said as much. Many times, the attitude just sucks and that's when a poor or even no tip is absolutely appropriate.

That said, even 10 minutes is unacceptable if you've asked for a check. A half-hour is out of control. A manager should have been talked to, at that point.

Again, I have questions as to why a busser wasn't there.... another waiter walking by... anyone?

I believe he had very bad service. My only point was that there is a definite disconnect between reality... and what both parties (diner and server) believe happened, most of the time. I just know that from being on both sides for about 15 years... back in the day.

In any case, it sounds like something went very wrong at this place.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

If I get bad enough service not to tip, I try to pay cash. Last thing I want is a disgruntled jackoff stealing my CC number.
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

The way I read it, it looked as if you were taking her side. So from the way you worded it I took it wrong. I hardly ever go to the manager mostly because I hate thinking it could cost someone a job. I think I have done it less then 5 times in my life (mostly fast food) and at that point I was very pissed. I know that I would send my manager over to my table when things weren't right or taking to long but this was also fine dinning and that was kind of expected.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I always tip 1.5%, because that's how much automatically goes to the kitchen staff, and if you leave nothing, the 1.5% comes out of the server's paycheck. I dunno if that's a universal practice, but that's how it is at home. I think it's a bull**** practice, but whatever.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post

A 15-20% tip is payment for services rendered(not charity). Services weren't rendered in your case so it's justified,walking out on the other hand is another story. In some restaurants the server becomes responsible for your bill.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I have called more then one cook out of the kitchen ............Some of the **** they serve at truckstops isnt fit for a dog .......
one time my chicken fried steak was raw , I asked the waitress to tell the cook i would like to see him , he didnt come out , so I went up to the ledge told him to eat it or wear it , his choice ..... By then the manager came over,I said you eat this **** , if you think I am paying for this , you are ****ed ....... He made it right by me .......
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I would have walked out.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #21
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

I too believe tip is something you earn. That being said if the server is average I give 15-20%. When the server is friendly and accomodating I ALWAYS leave at least 20%. maybe more. In those cases it's usually a nice rest. tho and not your average moms diner or so. As annoyed as I get with bad service, I think considering how much some servers bust their asses they should get a little extra, especially when they are friendly. Cuss you never know, they may have a real dip-**** a few tables away from where you are, but are not letting their bad mood affect YOUR dining experience.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #22
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I always tip 1.5%, because that's how much automatically goes to the kitchen staff, and if you leave nothing, the 1.5% comes out of the server's paycheck. I dunno if that's a universal practice, but that's how it is at home. I think it's a bull**** practice, but whatever.
Not always the case the last time I was a waiter I had an automatic 17 and 1/2% coming straight to me on every check and the kitchen staff got no tip but they made a good bit per hour.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I used to wait tables for 10 years until a few yrs ago. The kitchen staff gets a full hourly rate therefor recieves no tip. You would be forceing the server to come out of his own pocket to pay the busboy,foodrunner & % he has to give the service bartender.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I went up to the ledge told him to eat it or wear it , his choice ..... By then the manager came over,I said you eat this **** , if you think I am paying for this , you are ****ed .......
Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
but i did tip the waitress . it wasnt her fault ........