The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Patriots slap franchise tag on Cassel

Per ESPN
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Wow, that guy is now rich!
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

25% of the cap tied up in 2 QB's?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Wow, that guy is now rich!
No crap that is going to be alot of $ for a backup QB.

How does this work can someone still trade for him like KC giving up their draft or something. Oh wait Carl Peterson is gone.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Maybe the Patriots know that Pioli loved the guy or something and that he'll trade the farm and open the wallet to get him. I don't understand why you franchise a backup qb unless you think someone else is going to trade a lot to make him their starter. Can someone smarter than me explain?
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

It was their only move
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
How does this work can someone still trade for him like KC giving up their draft or something. Oh wait Carl Peterson is gone.
Depends on if Cassel signs it. If he doesn't, then the team can negotiate whatever draft pick compensation they want. If he does sign it, the other team is required to give up their next 2 first rounders.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
How does this work can someone still trade for him like KC giving up their draft or something.
1) He can be traded to another team if they reach an agreement with New England.

2) He could sign an offer sheet with another team and New England could either match or receive two 1st round draft choices.

3) He could sign an automatic 1-year tender at the average salary of the tip 5 QB's in the league.

4) He could holdout.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
1) He can be traded to another team if they reach an agreement with New England.

2) He could sign an offer sheet with another team and New England could either match or receive two 1st round draft choices.

3) He could sign an automatic 1-year tender at the average salary of the tip 5 QB's in the league.

4) He could holdout.
Thanks!!
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Whatever happens, the Past are going to make out like a bandit. Again. Multiple draft picks for what, an initial 6th rounder or something?
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:

4) He could holdout.
Damn I would love the chiefs to toss 2 1sts for him.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
I don't understand why you franchise a backup qb unless you think someone else is going to trade a lot to make him their starter. Can someone smarter than me explain?
1) His value was too high to simply let walk. He proved last year he can be a very good NFL starting QB and they can get value for that is another team is interested.

2) Brady is coming off a major injury so Cassel is insurance not only if Brady isn't ready to start the season or gets hurt again - but he can lead the 1st unit throughout OTAs and camp if they want to work Brady back in.

3) They've got the cap space to do it.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
1) His value was too high to simply let walk. He proved last year he can be a very good NFL starting QB and they can get value for that is another team is interested.

2) Brady is coming off a major injury so Cassel is insurance not only if Brady isn't ready to start the season or gets hurt again - but he can lead the 1st unit throughout OTAs and camp if they want to work Brady back in.

3) They've got the cap space to do it.

Who had Moss and Welker to throw to...even then he got sacked ALOT, shows he needs to work on his decision making, but he appears to be pretty solid.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

New England really had no choice but to do this.

I wonder what his actual trade value will be?

You know New England will start out asking for 2 first round picks.

My guess is that they would trade him for a 1st and some change....maybe just a 1st round pick, as they don't want to pay a backup $14 million bucks for a year.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Whatever happens, the Past are going to make out like a bandit. Again. Multiple draft picks for what, an initial 6th rounder or something?
The benefit of drafting and developing a QB. The Pats had a pretty respectable season considering they lost their league MVP of a QB on opening day. Most teams would've went into the tank but their season kept interest generated in the team and I'd bet they didn't lose much revenue from missing Brady. It's part of the reason that at some point I'd like to see the Broncos draft and develop a backup to Cutler. Not only to protect the team in case of an injury but to be an asset long-term. Seeing McDaniels is coming directly from this situation I'm sure it's something he's thought about and passed on to Jim Goodman. Quarterbacks are the greatest asset in the NFL, why wouldn't you want to develop them if you can?

If you think about it, worst case scenario for the Pats (other than him holding out which has about a 1% chance of happening), is they have a very expensive insurance policy at QB for a season and then find themselves back here again next season. With the cap being where it's at for all teams, I doubt this will effect their ability to sign someone they want as New England's never been an out-bidding type of team (honestly that's what bad teams have to do).

Quote:
Damn I would love the chiefs to toss 2 1sts for him.
I don't think it's happened since Joey Galloway. Draft picks are valued much higher than they used to be. The most I can recall a franchise guy being dealt for recently is a 1st and 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Who had Moss and Welker to throw to...even then he got sacked ALOT, shows he needs to work on his decision making, but he appears to be pretty solid.
One of the reasons the QB position is so valuable in the NFL is that there are so few good ones. We all know Cassel took too many sacks and had the benefit of playing in the McDaniels-offense with Welker and Moss, but the potential seems to be there and that's enough in a league with few good QBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
My guess is that they would trade him for a 1st and some change....maybe just a 1st round pick, as they don't want to pay a backup $14 million bucks for a year.
Just a gut feeling, but I think they want the insurance on Brady until Kevin O'Connell is ready. I could definitely be wrong, and if so, my guess would be the bidding will center around a 1st and 3rd.

Last edited by montrose; 02-05-2009 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I say buyer beware!

I would hope no one is stupid enough to give even a 2nd for Cassel. He is an excellant back-up QB on a good team, that is it. The Patriots maybe over playing their hand on this one. They franchised him because they think they can rip another team off, and they are not sure about Brady being ready for the season. If I were Cassel's agent, I would tell him to sign now.

The reason I say that the league will not give more than a 2nd was because of what happened with Derek Anderson last year. Everyone thought he was the bee's knees, where is he now. GM and owner's will look at that, and I think it will keep them from making the leap.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I wonder if they know something about Brady they are not telling everyone?
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I'll bet they deal him to the Chiefs in a swap of first rounders or chefs 2nd and second day pick and next years 1st or something.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I thought once you were franchised other teams couldn't touch you. Isn't that the point of the tag? What you described is how RFA's are handled...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

What would he benifit from holding out? The only thing I can figure it if he gets traded he would still have his rookie contract
Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Man he gets the best seat to watch football, all the best access, and he gets PAID! Congratulations Cassel.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Maybe the Patriots know that Pioli loved the guy or something and that he'll trade the farm and open the wallet to get him. I don't understand why you franchise a backup qb unless you think someone else is going to trade a lot to make him their starter. Can someone smarter than me explain?
it's insurance in case Brady hits a roadblock and can't return on time next season, and if he is on schedule to return Cassel can be traded for some good high draft picks
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

This is the only thing they could have done.

I hope the Chiefs are stupid and trade him for 2 firsts.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
This is the only thing they could have done.

I hope the Chiefs are stupid and trade him for 2 firsts.
I don't, that makes NE better. I want Denver to win some Super Bowl's, and having an aging team getting 2 1's for a 6th is not going to help us.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
or maybe Thomas Brady isn't doing so well rehabing
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote