The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If both players are available at #12, who do you want?
USC ILB Rey Maualuga 47 39.17%
Boston College DT B.J. Raji 63 52.50%
Other (Please specify) 10 8.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Maualuga or Raji

If both players are on the board at #12, who'd you rather have?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Due to team needs, Raji. If we are only talking about player skill, I don't know.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

I wouldn't be upset with either pick but something about Raji makes me not so excited about it. I guess it's just that whenever we've needed D linemen it just seems that we've taken the best one we could get but it was after everybody else had their share and the results have been less than stellar. Just burned too many times I guess.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Really not that difficult... I think Maualuga is overrated...
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Oh, I should have said other, I guess. If Everette brown is there at #12, I'd take him over anyone not named Curry.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
meangene
Ring of Famer

I don't like either Raji or Maualuga at 12. I think they are both a little overrated. I'm not sure Raji's style of play fits as a NT and Rey misses WAY too many tackles. If we stay at 12, I would look at someone like Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo. I would prefer we move back in round one, pick up an extra pick and look at someone like Tyson Jackson, James Laurinaitis, or Clint Sintim.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Oh, I should have said other, I guess. If Everette brown is there at #12, I'd take him over anyone not named Curry.
me too
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Raji, you build from the trenches out, that is how you get success. Look at the Steelers, Giants, Patriots and Cardinals (4 last teams to make the super bowl) the defensive line is where it is at for all 4 teams (incidentally they all have below average secondaries)
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Raji, no question. Rey Rey is just not a big enough upgrade over Larsen
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I say Rey would be a bigger impact in the short run. DLineman usually struggle for at least a year or 2. LB's can come in and play well from the start.

I would rather have Curry.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Snarfalicious
Catalina Wine Mixerer

Certified

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John C. Reilly

I'd rather have Brown or Orakpo. I'm still not sold on Raji, and Maualuga is overglorified in my honest opinion. I'd rather have Brown or Orakpo as long as Curry wasn't there. If they weren't there, and Nolan isn't sold on Maualuga, then we damn better trade back, add up some picks, etc. I really hope the stars allign and Curry drops to us, can you imagine that joyous feeling? It won't happen more than likely, but we can all dream until we hear "With the (Insert number that comes before 12) pick of the draft, the (Insert team that sucks here) select, Aaron Curry, Linebacker from Wake Forest."
Snarfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Seriously?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
My sentiments as well. Assuming both Brown and Curry are gone at 12 and the two players listed are available, I don't have a preference.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
I say Rey would be a bigger impact in the short run. DLineman usually struggle for at least a year or 2. LB's can come in and play well from the start.

I would rather have Curry.
He won't have any impact if he is going to be run over by a guard on every play.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Now this is the funniest chet ive heard all day
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He won't have any impact if he is going to be run over by a guard on every play.
Right sure. In your fantasy world. REY REY is well known for his ability to RUN OVER O-linemen. No ones perfect though. just sayin.

socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Right sure. In your fantasy world. REY REY is well known for his ability to RUN OVER O-linemen. No ones perfect though. just sayin.

A guard from UCLA doesn't compare to FONECO!
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Not the most important reason why REY REY makes an immediate impact, but just one of many.
DENVER needs an new identity on defense. BAD. REAL BAD.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=811789
Maualuga Ranked Scariest Defender

Some hit with teeth-rattling impact. Some swoop down on quarterbacks like buzzards on road kill. Others have so much big-play ability that quarterbacks only throw in their direction as a last resort – that is, if they throw that way at all.
Putting together a list of college football's scariest defensive players isn't easy because scary has different definitions. Some may be physically imposing. Some are just athletically intimidating.
Greg Hardy racked up 10 sacks for Ole Miss last season.
Scary doesn't necessarily translate to best, either, because all coaches want players that are efficient and consistent.
Still, there are players who can wreck a play, wreck a running back and make a quarterback a nervous wreck. Here's the list.
10. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: He's a two-time All-Big Ten selection, and opponents think twice before throwing Jenkins' way. The problem there, though, is that the Buckeyes often will have him change sides to face the opponents' best receiver. Jenkins, who has 4.3 speed, has grabbed four interceptions in each of the past two seasons, and last year posted 47 tackles.
9. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss, DE: Though playing just 10 games as a sophomore last season and starting only four, Hardy posted 10 sacks and had 18.5 tackles for losses, which is second-most among players returning in '08. His 63 total tackles last season were the most among SEC linemen. Hardy, a 6-foot-4, 265-pounder who also has played for the Ole Miss basketball team, should be better in '08 with a year of experience behind him.
8. Brandon Spikes, Florida, LB: At 6-3 and 245 pounds, Spikes is an intimidating presence at middle linebacker. In his first year as a starter last season, he posted 131 tackles, including 81 unassisted, and earned All-SEC recognition. He posted at least seven tackles in every game and never had fewer than three solo stops. Spikes also had 16 tackles for losses.
7. George Hypolite, Colorado, DT: The fact that, physically, Hypolite isn't overly imposing at 6-1 and 285 pounds, and that he's active in community relations may make one question just how scary he is. But tell that to guards who try to block him one-on-one. Last season, Hypolite earned All-Big 12 acclaim while posting 44 tackles, including 33 solo stops – an impressive number for an interior defensive lineman. He had 6.5 sacks, which was the most by a Colorado defensive tackle in five seasons.
6. Maurice Evans, Penn State, DE: Last season, Evans ranked among the nation's top eight in sacks (12.5), tackles for loss (21.5) and forced fumbles (five). Not a bad trifecta. He also had 54 tackles, deflected three passes and returned a fumble 55 yards en route to earning All-Big Ten honors. Penn State ranked No. 11 in the nation in total defense last season, and Evans was a major reason.
5. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest, CB: As if eight interceptions weren't impressive enough, Smith also returned three of them for touchdowns (against Boston College, Maryland and Duke). His touchdown against the Terps covered 100 yards. Plus, he broke up 10 passes, so throwing at him obviously takes courage. Smith also forced four fumbles, meaning he was personally responsible for creating 12 turnovers last season. For good measure, he posted 44 tackles, including three sacks.
4. Ricky Jean-Francois, LSU, DT: So how does a guy who posted just nine tackles last season get on this list? Well, when six come in the national championship game, that's a good start. Suspended for the regular season, Jean-Francois returned in the postseason and showed the Tigers what they'd been missing. He was solid in the SEC championship victory over Tennessee, then spectacular in the national championship win over Ohio State, when he added 1.5 tackles for loss, shared a sack and blocked a field-goal attempt. By the way, his nine tackles in two games would have projected to 63 stops over the course of last season, just six fewer than Glenn Dorsey posted.
US PRESSWIRE
Linebacker Rey Maualuga is an imposing force on the USC defense.
3. Eric Berry, Tennessee, S: A safety with great coverage skills always poses a problem. One who also is a strong tackler is a major headache. That would describe Berry, who last season posted 86 tackles, five interceptions, four pass breakups, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble – and all that as a true freshman. He had 222 yards in interception returns, which was second-most in the country and broke a 37-yard old Tennessee record.
2. George Selvie, South Florida, DE: A speed rusher who can also mix it up physically, Selvie wrapped up awards last season like he did sacks – in abundance. He was a consensus All-American, the Big East defensive player of the year and a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, as well as receiving several other honors after posting the greatest defensive season in school history. He was second in the nation in sacks with 14.5 and led the country with 31.5 tackles for losses. He also forced three fumbles and blocked a kick. He was at his best against top competition, posting 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks against Auburn and a sack against West Virginia.
1. Rey Maualuga, USC, LB: The 6-3, 250-pound Maualuga is physically imposing – and just plain looks mean. His play measures up to his stature. A two-time All-Pac-10 selection, Maualuga is a punishing hitter who led the Trojans in tackles last season despite being limited at times by a painful hip pointer. He posted 10.5 tackles for losses and six sacks while accumulating 79 tackles last season. This season will mark his third as USC's starting middle linebacker.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Raji would be my choice.

If we don't get a NT, then the conversion to the 3-4 will be trash.

That said, if Raji is gone, I would have no problem selecting Maualuga at 12.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

RAJI, hands down. He can play multiple positions on a variable front DL. Versatility in the trenches versus a MIKE only LB who might not see the field in the nickel packages 50% of the time.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Not the most important reason why REY REY makes an immediate impact, but just one of many.
DENVER needs an new identity on defense. BAD. REAL BAD.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=811789
Maualuga Ranked Scariest Defender

Some hit with teeth-rattling impact. Some swoop down on quarterbacks like buzzards on road kill. Others have so much big-play ability that quarterbacks only throw in their direction as a last resort – that is, if they throw that way at all.
Putting together a list of college football's scariest defensive players isn't easy because scary has different definitions. Some may be physically imposing. Some are just athletically intimidating.
Greg Hardy racked up 10 sacks for Ole Miss last season.
Scary doesn't necessarily translate to best, either, because all coaches want players that are efficient and consistent.
Still, there are players who can wreck a play, wreck a running back and make a quarterback a nervous wreck. Here's the list.
10. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: He's a two-time All-Big Ten selection, and opponents think twice before throwing Jenkins' way. The problem there, though, is that the Buckeyes often will have him change sides to face the opponents' best receiver. Jenkins, who has 4.3 speed, has grabbed four interceptions in each of the past two seasons, and last year posted 47 tackles.
9. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss, DE: Though playing just 10 games as a sophomore last season and starting only four, Hardy posted 10 sacks and had 18.5 tackles for losses, which is second-most among players returning in '08. His 63 total tackles last season were the most among SEC linemen. Hardy, a 6-foot-4, 265-pounder who also has played for the Ole Miss basketball team, should be better in '08 with a year of experience behind him.
8. Brandon Spikes, Florida, LB: At 6-3 and 245 pounds, Spikes is an intimidating presence at middle linebacker. In his first year as a starter last season, he posted 131 tackles, including 81 unassisted, and earned All-SEC recognition. He posted at least seven tackles in every game and never had fewer than three solo stops. Spikes also had 16 tackles for losses.
7. George Hypolite, Colorado, DT: The fact that, physically, Hypolite isn't overly imposing at 6-1 and 285 pounds, and that he's active in community relations may make one question just how scary he is. But tell that to guards who try to block him one-on-one. Last season, Hypolite earned All-Big 12 acclaim while posting 44 tackles, including 33 solo stops – an impressive number for an interior defensive lineman. He had 6.5 sacks, which was the most by a Colorado defensive tackle in five seasons.
6. Maurice Evans, Penn State, DE: Last season, Evans ranked among the nation's top eight in sacks (12.5), tackles for loss (21.5) and forced fumbles (five). Not a bad trifecta. He also had 54 tackles, deflected three passes and returned a fumble 55 yards en route to earning All-Big Ten honors. Penn State ranked No. 11 in the nation in total defense last season, and Evans was a major reason.
5. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest, CB: As if eight interceptions weren't impressive enough, Smith also returned three of them for touchdowns (against Boston College, Maryland and Duke). His touchdown against the Terps covered 100 yards. Plus, he broke up 10 passes, so throwing at him obviously takes courage. Smith also forced four fumbles, meaning he was personally responsible for creating 12 turnovers last season. For good measure, he posted 44 tackles, including three sacks.
4. Ricky Jean-Francois, LSU, DT: So how does a guy who posted just nine tackles last season get on this list? Well, when six come in the national championship game, that's a good start. Suspended for the regular season, Jean-Francois returned in the postseason and showed the Tigers what they'd been missing. He was solid in the SEC championship victory over Tennessee, then spectacular in the national championship win over Ohio State, when he added 1.5 tackles for loss, shared a sack and blocked a field-goal attempt. By the way, his nine tackles in two games would have projected to 63 stops over the course of last season, just six fewer than Glenn Dorsey posted.
US PRESSWIRE
Linebacker Rey Maualuga is an imposing force on the USC defense.
3. Eric Berry, Tennessee, S: A safety with great coverage skills always poses a problem. One who also is a strong tackler is a major headache. That would describe Berry, who last season posted 86 tackles, five interceptions, four pass breakups, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble – and all that as a true freshman. He had 222 yards in interception returns, which was second-most in the country and broke a 37-yard old Tennessee record.
2. George Selvie, South Florida, DE: A speed rusher who can also mix it up physically, Selvie wrapped up awards last season like he did sacks – in abundance. He was a consensus All-American, the Big East defensive player of the year and a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, as well as receiving several other honors after posting the greatest defensive season in school history. He was second in the nation in sacks with 14.5 and led the country with 31.5 tackles for losses. He also forced three fumbles and blocked a kick. He was at his best against top competition, posting 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks against Auburn and a sack against West Virginia.
1. Rey Maualuga, USC, LB: The 6-3, 250-pound Maualuga is physically imposing – and just plain looks mean. His play measures up to his stature. A two-time All-Pac-10 selection, Maualuga is a punishing hitter who led the Trojans in tackles last season despite being limited at times by a painful hip pointer. He posted 10.5 tackles for losses and six sacks while accumulating 79 tackles last season. This season will mark his third as USC's starting middle linebacker.
That Aaron Curry is not on that list makes it that less credible to me. Also, there are a few guys there that are NOT that impressive on film.

I think Maualuga has the tools, but his smarts scare me. Not a Lofa Tatupu mind coming out. Might take just as long to impact as Raji would @ DT/NT IMHO.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
RAJI, hands down. He can play multiple positions on a variable front DL. Versatility in the trenches versus a MIKE only LB who might not see the field in the nickel packages 50% of the time.
Med, I thought you were really big on Rey Rey saying he is a once in every few years impact player. What do you think of Everett Brown?
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
That Aaron Curry is not on that list makes it that less credible to me. Also, there are a few guys there that are NOT that impressive on film.

I think Maualuga has the tools, but his smarts scare me. Not a Lofa Tatupu mind coming out. Might take just as long to impact as Raji would @ DT/NT IMHO.
Curry is our wet dream for this draft, i would absolutely LOVE to get him. But we both know theres just no way in hell he falls.
The list is one of many out there, and almost all of em have REY on them. Again this is not the most important reason why DEN should draft REY.
Also, alot of poster here have used the "smarts" excuse a # of times, and to me its simply because REY gets to freelance so much that he gets tagged with a undisciplined tag. Its not that hes stupid, its that he plays with some talented players and he gets freedom by the coaching staff. This leads to mistakes. Any college player given so much freedom is going to make mistakes. BJ Raji makes em. Aaron Curry makes them. And if they were on USC they would make them just the same, if they had that kind of freedom.
Now, i dont think that this is an excuse for REY to continue to freelance. I dont think he will, and i dont think Nolan will have trouble sifting through the minor issues with REY and getting him into Seau's league.

As for Raji, he has some major issues himself. Horrible tackler. Great at hitting players, and falling on them, but horrible at tackling them. He also has issues with even making it though a complete college game at times and he is notorious for disappearing in games. Many analysts say he lacks the stamina at the NFL level right now. I have never heard that REY would not be able to dominate in stamina and strength at the NFl level. As a matter of fact i watched some guy on E!SPiN say REY is right now stronger than any player in the NFL. Thats a bit much to me, but he said it. it was E!SPiN though.
Like many that say REY has a great supporting cast, the same can be said for Raji's total success. Ron Brace has taken alot off Raji's shoulders too.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Med, I thought you were really big on Rey Rey saying he is a once in every few years impact player. What do you think of Everett Brown?
Yeah i remember something like this.
I think like many that BOTH are really solid prospects with a ton of upside.
I think like Med though that one has the makeup to be a HOF, and the other could be a really solid player for DEN. And DEN really needs both!

This is a good problem to have!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Everette Brown is my first target. I think he would be the difference maker.

I like Rey, but think he is over rated. I like his attitude, but I think we could find another thumper for the middle. I even think a guy like Beckwith from LSU could be a good ILB, and he could be had in rounds 3-4.

Given the choice of Maualuga or Raji, i'll take Raji.
cmhargrove is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: