The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default Hall voters show their bias again

Hall voters show their bias again
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post

Pat Bowlen, Hall of Famer.

Why not? If Ralph Wilson can get voted in, why not Bowlen? Wilson was one of the founding fathers of the American Football League. His team, the Buffalo Bills, won AFL championships in 1964 and '65 and went to four Super Bowls — all losses — from 1990-93.

Bowlen? His Broncos have played in five Super Bowls during his tenure and won two. And, like Wilson, he has been a significant contributor to the NFL's development in his role as co-chairman of the league's broadcast committee.

One problem: Bowlen is from Denver. And you know what happens to Hall of Fame candidates from Denver. If not, you might want to check out the latest case of a Broncos candidate overlooked by the Hall voters.

That would be Shannon Sharpe, your basic renaissance man in shoulder pads whose receiving ability was an integral part of the evolution of the tight end position. During his career, Sharpe owned virtually every receiving record in the books for tight ends — not to mention three Super Bowl rings.

But instead of being accorded the distinction of a first-ballot Hall of Famer, Sharpe was denied. Bowlen's initial reaction: What else is new?

"I'm very disappointed about it," Bowlen said. "It's sort of like a slap in the face. I think it shows a bias against teams like the Broncos that aren't on the east side of the Mississippi."

Teams like the Broncos? No. This isn't about teams like the Broncos. This is personal. This is about the Broncos. They are the single-most underrepresented team in the Hall.

For years, we had to listen to voters questioning the candidacy of Randy Gradishar and others on the Orange Crush defense because they didn't win a Super Bowl. OK, but if that's the unofficial criteria, why didn't it benefit Sharpe?

The reality is that the majority of Hall voters are based in the East, and many broker their votes among other voters. And in the end, politics prevail and Broncos candidates get ignored. This time, two players who never appeared in a Super Bowl — Derrick Thomas and Randall McDaniel — were voted in, denying Sharpe the first-ballot status he so richly deserved.

If you're a Broncos fan, you ought to feel like a second-class citizen. Because that's how the Hall of Fame voters are treating you.

"I look at this team as being in an elite group of teams," Bowlen said. "I don't care if it's Denver or Alaska, it doesn't matter. We don't get the respect we should get. That just seems to stop halfway through the country."
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Ninjatime
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
For years, we had to listen to voters questioning the candidacy of Randy Gradishar and others on the Orange Crush defense because they didn't win a Super Bowl. OK, but if that's the unofficial criteria, why didn't it benefit Sharpe?
Owned lol. I hate inconsistant officiating so much.
Ninjatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

He won't get in next year either. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only Fame that matter is the ring around Mile High.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah the voters hate Denver. Not sure why. Maybe they think we're provincial. Maybe it annoys them to have to pretend to care about something they would rather ignore. I don't know, but the hall of fame voters don't want any more Broncos in the Hall of Fame and will do their best to make sure it stays that way. Get ready for Sharpe to get voted down next year too. I bet there was even some debate over Elway. I could see Dr. Z putting up a fight over it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

its not so much they hate denver as the people who are choosing the candidates are not objective and have to rally for the people who benefit their teams, which lie mostly on the east coast.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I dont think he gets it next year either. With Rice and E. Smith available next year, he will probably need to wait after them. The Hall doesnt respect the TE like, QBs, RB and WR. Add the fact that he is a Bronco and you dont hold your breath. I just dont understand how the HALL writers think. If he is good enough (let us say) in 2011, what changed from 2009 to 2011 that made him more qualified?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Freakin Tim Brown and Rice become eligible next year. Sharpe isn't getting in.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah the voters hate Denver. Not sure why. Maybe they think we're provincial. Maybe it annoys them to have to pretend to care about something they would rather ignore. I don't know, but the hall of fame voters don't want any more Broncos in the Hall of Fame and will do their best to make sure it stays that way. Get ready for Sharpe to get voted down next year too. I bet there was even some debate over Elway. I could see Dr. Z putting up a fight over it.
I called into Jim and Sandy's show yesterday to bring up Shanny, Elam, Nalen and Bailey. While we all agreed they have HOF credentials, Bailey is the only one Jim thought was sure to get in.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Ignoring the entire Sharpe/Broncos issue here, there is something WRONG with the entire HOF voting process!

Art Monk - retired as the NFL's ALL TIME best WR, 2 SB rings, and an OUTSTANDING member of society.
Took 9 FREAKIN YEARS TO INDUCT THIS MAN!!! (During which time his father passed away)
UTTERLY DISGUSTING!

... and Michael "that's not my crack-pipe" Irvin went in before Monk, ... seriously?!

(As a football fan, IF I ever meet a voter on the HOF committee, I won't hesitate to ask them if they ever voted AGAINST Monk, if they say "yes" or "avoid" the question ... it could get "interesting" and uncomfortable for them, real quick!)
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There are no first-ballot hall of fame TEs. I'll start to get upset about it if he doesn't get in his third year.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
Ignoring the entire Sharpe/Broncos issue here, there is something WRONG with the entire HOF voting process!

Art Monk - retired as the NFL's ALL TIME best WR, 2 SB rings, and an OUTSTANDING member of society.
Took 9 FREAKIN YEARS TO INDUCT THIS MAN!!! (During which time his father passed away)
UTTERLY DISGUSTING!

(As a football fan, IF I ever meet a voter on the HOF committee, I won't hesitate to ask them if they ever voted AGAINST Monk, if they say "yes" or "avoid" the question ... it could get "interesting" and uncomfortable for them, real quick!)

Agreed on all counts
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

From Fatso Peter King's mailbag.

Go choke on a donut and wash it down with some Dairy-Ease you fat ****ing pig.

• I DON'T THINK THERE WAS OPPOSITION, JUST A LONG LINE. From B. Bruno of Metuchen, N.J.: "What was the opposition to Shannon Sharpe for the Hall of Fame? I can't argue with the six guys who got in, but Sharpe should have been a first ballot lock. You can't tell me that there isn't a bias against the Broncos. There are only two Broncos in the Hall and there are nine Chiefs. You tell me which franchise has the better history of the two and why the one with the lesser history has far more players in the Hall. I am convinced, for example, that Randy Gradishar would have been in had he worn the uniform of an east coast team.''

Don't look for biases where there are none. This class wasn't a New York-L.A.-Chicago class. It has men from Buffalo (two), Minnesota, Kansas City, Pittsburgh/Oakland/Baltimore (Rod Woodson) and Dallas picked. There is no Denver bias from a soul in that room, at least from anything I've ever heard on or off the record.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
There are no first-ballot hall of fame TEs. I'll start to get upset about it if he doesn't get in his third year.
It's not even about Position. The system is SCREWED!

A "crack smoking" great WR, ... OR ... an "OUTSTANDING CITIZEN" great WR.
Smokey McCrack Pipe goes in on year #2, while the Outstanding Citizen waits 9 years!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
From Fatso Peter King's mailbag.

Go choke on a donut and wash it down with some Dairy-Ease you fat ****ing pig.

• I DON'T THINK THERE WAS OPPOSITION, JUST A LONG LINE. From B. Bruno of Metuchen, N.J.: "What was the opposition to Shannon Sharpe for the Hall of Fame? I can't argue with the six guys who got in, but Sharpe should have been a first ballot lock. You can't tell me that there isn't a bias against the Broncos. There are only two Broncos in the Hall and there are nine Chiefs. You tell me which franchise has the better history of the two and why the one with the lesser history has far more players in the Hall. I am convinced, for example, that Randy Gradishar would have been in had he worn the uniform of an east coast team.''

Don't look for biases where there are none. This class wasn't a New York-L.A.-Chicago class. It has men from Buffalo (two), Minnesota, Kansas City, Pittsburgh/Oakland/Baltimore (Rod Woodson) and Dallas picked. There is no Denver bias from a soul in that room, at least from anything I've ever heard on or off the record.
King voted for Sharpe.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
B-Love
Ring of Famer

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

There has never been a Pro Personnel person or advance scout who thought Art Monk was a better player than Michael Irvin.

Michael Irvin was TRULY FEARED by Defensive Coordinators. I dislike the guy too but those of you who think Art Monk was a better player than Irvin are out of your minds.

No one feared Art Monk on a 'game changing' scale. He accumulated stats over a very long very good career. Th enshrinement of guys like Monk helps keep guys like Gradishar out.

Art Monk played 17 seasons or whatever, and there were MAYBE 2 or 3 seasons where he was considered a top 5 NFL talent at the WR position. A HOFer is a guy who should be considered among the top at his craft throughout his entire career. Not a stat accumulator.

When you guys support the candidacy of stat accumulators like Monk you indirectly support the rationale behind guys like Gradishar not getting in.

And when you support Monk you are buying into the very East Coast bias that you say you loathe.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
King voted for Sharpe.
Very true Garcia, you are right. At least in past years he said that But who knows what jockeying took place in the days leading up to the selection.

Anyway, my point is more about his denial of bias versus whether he actually voted for Sharpe.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

The Sharpe snub doesn't make sense. I don't know why Thomas, Woodson and Sharpe couldn't go in together?

Having said that, Sharpe was snubbed in favor of a dead KC Chief. Are the Chiefs sending people to the hall in record numbers? KC is west of the Mississippi.

Art Monk was also snubbed for years (decade maybe?) and where did he play?

I just don't get the Mile High Inferiority complex. I mean on a message board, OK, but the Denver Post?
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Art Monk played for Washington..
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #19
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:

There has never been a Pro Personnel person or advance scout who thought Art Monk was a better player than Michael Irvin.

Michael Irvin was TRULY FEARED by Defensive Coordinators. I dislike the guy too but those of you who think Art Monk was a better player than Irvin are out of your minds.

No one feared Art Monk on a 'game changing' scale. He accumulated stats over a very long very good career. Th enshrinement of guys like Monk helps keep guys like Gradishar out.
Agreed, Monk was not a "wham bam" impact player to the League.

Quote:
He accumulated stats over a very long very good career. ...

Art Monk played 17 seasons or whatever, and there were MAYBE 2 or 3 seasons where he was considered a top 5 NFL talent at the WR position. A HOFer is a guy who should be considered among the top at his craft throughout his entire career. Not a stat accumulator.
The NFL's best WR (in MULTIPLE stats columns) EVER, at the time of his retirement, is in YOUR opinion a mere "stat accumulator" HUH
Do you "smoke" with michael irvin
Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:

When you guys support the candidacy of stat accumulators like Monk you indirectly support the rationale behind guys like Gradishar not getting in.

And when you support Monk you are buying into the very East Coast bias that you say you loathe.
Thank you. I didn't want to have to re-hash it again. Monk was a fine reciever, but was rarely even the #1 Wr on his own team. A good guy, with a long career, but in no way a sure fire HOF.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:

In this thinking....T. Davis is a LOCK, as every game he played the opposition absolutely FEARED him!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
The Sharpe snub doesn't make sense. I don't know why Thomas, Woodson and Sharpe couldn't go in together?

Having said that, Sharpe was snubbed in favor of a dead KC Chief. Are the Chiefs sending people to the hall in record numbers? KC is west of the Mississippi.
The Chiefs have nine people in the HOF to the Broncos' 1 1/2.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
DeuceOfClub
™

SuperBowl

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Pat Bowlen, Hall of Famer.

Why not? If Ralph Wilson can get voted in, why not Bowlen? Wilson was one of the founding fathers of the American Football League. His team, the Buffalo Bills, won AFL championships in 1964 and '65 and went to four Super Bowls — all losses — from 1990-93.

Bowlen? His Broncos have played in five Super Bowls during his tenure and won two. And, like Wilson, he has been a significant contributor to the NFL's development in his role as co-chairman of the league's broadcast committee.
King Carl will, probably, be selected next year for his revolutionary “Five years plan”
DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Every Broncos fan should boycott all NFL products for one year to send a signal. I know I will never go to the HOF in my lifetime, and I would hope no Bronco fan would.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #25
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

What about Chris Carter? Who doesn't think he deserves to be in the Hall. Next year it should be E.Smith, Rice, Carter, Sharpe. Now that would be one hell of a class.

Last edited by Breaker; 02-03-2009 at 02:36 PM..
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote