The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Default Peria Jerry

Do you think Jerry could play De in the 3-4. The Broncos could trade down in the draft maybe with New England for a first and second and get Jerry.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I haven't seen anyone suggest him for 3-4. I think he is best suited to playing in a cover-2 scheme that usually uses very few blitzes.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

He'd be best as a penetrating under-tackle. He probably could be a 3-4 DE but thats kind of a wasted pick since it isn't his ideal position.

At that point in the draft you could get Tyson Jackson who is a much better fit for a 3-4 DE.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He'd be best as a penetrating under-tackle. He probably could be a 3-4 DE but thats kind of a wasted pick since it isn't his ideal position.

At that point in the draft you could get Tyson Jackson who is a much better fit for a 3-4 DE.
True dat!

I would much rather have Jackson who has the skill set and resume to be an instant contributor. Lot's of DT's will never be good DE's. Jackson already has top notch skills and size for the spot.

It's funny, but I think Kenny Peterson could really surprise us at 3-4 DE. If you don't remember him from college, he was a DE on a national championship Ohio State team. I guess Crowder was too, but Kenny fits the 6'3" 300 lb mold pretty well, and I always thought he was pretty quick.

I think we really, really need to get our superstar OLB first and foremost. I know the system is based on the NT, but the good OLB's get all the sacks.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

I think that is spot on. HE would be tremendously wasted as a 3-4 DE and should be drafted in the second based on that projection. AS a 4-3 UT he would be a first round in the teens player.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
bryantkev
Just Drafted

I think Peria Jerry is arguably the best defensive player in this draft. If we trade down we should get this guy. He can single handedly dominate a game. I've seen him do it numerous times. There was a reason Ol' Miss was the only team to beat Florida this year and he was it. I'd plug him in at DE in a 3-4 in a heartbeat. There's no way Tyson Jackson out plays him there. None.
bryantkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantkev View Post
I think Peria Jerry is arguably the best defensive player in this draft. If we trade down we should get this guy. He can single handedly dominate a game. I've seen him do it numerous times. There was a reason Ol' Miss was the only team to beat Florida this year and he was it. I'd plug him in at DE in a 3-4 in a heartbeat. There's no way Tyson Jackson out plays him there. None.
Talent in the wrong system can kill a career. Having a penetrating one gap DT play a two gap read and react DE spot would be a reason to waste a first round draft pick.

No one questions Jerry's skills, he is that good. However, drafting him to play DE in that scheme would be a gross misuse of talent, especially a much needed Impact first round selection this year.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: