The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,198

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default How about Carlton Powell at DE in a 3-4?

Let's take a closer look at our fifth round draft choice Carlton Powell



Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 294 lbs.
College: Virginia Tech
Born: in Norfolk, VA

Look at his size and weight. Now consider how he plays. He's considered undersized for a DT in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he's prototypical for an end. A team leader (Nolan LOVES these guys) he was not a big play DE but more a selfless role-player. Rather than a gap shooter, he would take pride in creating double teams on himself and forcing the runs inside. That's right, he likes to play gap control and doesn't need to be a stat junky. I think his quickness is underrated too, for those who don't think he's got the agility to bump outside in 3-4. He has a good thick frame too.

I honestly think it would be a good fit for him. He didn't fit our scheme before as a DT but he could slide over to end very effectively. He's a good character guy too.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Let's take a closer look at our fifth round draft choice Carlton Powell



Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 294 lbs.
College: Virginia Tech
Born: in Norfolk, VA

Look at his size and weight. Now consider how he plays. He's considered undersized for a DT in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he's prototypical for an end. A team leader (Nolan LOVES these guys) he was not a big play DE but more a selfless role-player. Rather than a gap shooter, he would take pride in creating double teams on himself and forcing the runs inside. That's right, he likes to play gap control and doesn't need to be a stat junky. I think his quickness is underrated too, for those who don't think he's got the agility to bump outside in 3-4. He has a good thick frame too.

I honestly think it would be a good fit for him. He didn't fit our scheme before as a DT but he could slide over to end very effectively. He's a good character guy too.
If he is healthy I could see teaming him with Thomas, Peterson, EE/FA/Rookie in a decent DE rotation.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,756

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

I would like to see him play in atleast 1 preseason game before I make a decision either way
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,205

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I have been saying that for ages, Powell is a good fit at 3-4 DE, he is used to playing against double teams, he holds his ground well and has good base strength and he can get in running lanes like it is nobodies business.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

He'll certainly get a shot.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,198

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I have been saying that for ages, Powell is a good fit at 3-4 DE, he is used to playing against double teams, he holds his ground well and has good base strength and he can get in running lanes like it is nobodies business.
Sorry, I missed it. It's one of those things the more I think about the more it seems obvious to me, but then I begin to wonder if I'm over-thinking it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,957

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The more the merrier in camp at the DL spot. The DL has been a weakness for far too long no matter which defense they use.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I would like to see him play in atleast 1 preseason game before I make a decision either way
That's not how we do it on this board!
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
That's not how we do it on this board!
no doubt...

I think Torrain (spelling? **** you!) is a HOF RB after watching his debut in cleveland.

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

I think C-Pizzle could be a really nice rotational guy at one of the 3-4 DE spots. I'm not so sure how Thomas or Crowder will fit there, but I think Pizzle's got some real potential. Watching that game last night, Keisel and Smith are such underrated parts of Pittsburgh's defense, we've got to have a solid rotation up front if we move to the 3-4.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Hopefully he pulls a Ryan Harris and shows us all by next preseason.

I would really like to see him succeed.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,198

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Keisel and Smith are such underrated parts of Pittsburgh's defense
That's because Keisel went to BYU and is awesome.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,205

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I think C-Pizzle could be a really nice rotational guy at one of the 3-4 DE spots. I'm not so sure how Thomas or Crowder will fit there, but I think Pizzle's got some real potential. Watching that game last night, Keisel and Smith are such underrated parts of Pittsburgh's defense, we've got to have a solid rotation up front if we move to the 3-4.
Anyone who goes by the name of C-Pizzle HAS to be awesome, he sounds like a guy that would crush an F-150 with his pecs...
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's because Keisel went to BYU and is awesome.
He's another Stormin' Mormon?!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,198

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
He's another Stormin' Mormon?!
Good grief that's overused. It's like "He's Mormon? Let's call him the Stormin'
Mormon!!!!"

Are Jewish players called "The Corkscrew Hebrew?"

Are Jehovah's witness players being called "The Fitness Witness?"

The "shrewdest Buddhist?"

The "inhumane born-again?"

The "Bestest Methodist?"

The "Caustic Agnostic?"

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,916

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
If he is healthy I could see teaming him with Thomas, Peterson, EE/FA/Rookie in a decent DE rotation.
I'd really like to see Dumervil continue to have a role in our defense.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good grief that's overused. It's like "He's Mormon? Let's call him the Stormin'
Mormon!!!!"

Are Jewish players called "The Corkscrew Hebrew?"

Are Jehovah's witness players being called "The Fitness Witness?"

The "shrewdest Buddhist?"

The "inhumane born-again?"

The "Bestest Methodist?"

The "Caustic Agnostic?"

Absolutly. Once something comes out like Stormin' Mormon, you have to overuse it until people's brains melt.

So what would mine be? The Indomitable Indian?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #18
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,198

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Absolutly. Once something comes out like Stormin' Mormon, you have to overuse it until people's brains melt.

So what would mine be? The Indomitable Indian?
The blue-balled baller.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Two weeks from everywhere
Posts: 1,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good grief that's overused. It's like "He's Mormon? Let's call him the Stormin'
Mormon!!!!"

Are Jewish players called "The Corkscrew Hebrew?"

Are Jehovah's witness players being called "The Fitness Witness?"

The "shrewdest Buddhist?"

The "inhumane born-again?"

The "Bestest Methodist?"

The "Caustic Agnostic?"

Sounds like a case of the "PMS LDS"

USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer
 
RunSilentRunDeep's Avatar
 
I root for laundry

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default

FEAR CARLTON POWELL!!!! He's got Corey Jackson-type potential!!
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,260

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I think he's gonna start at Nose Tackle next year when we slip into the 3-4. Just my opinion.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,198

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
FEAR CARLTON POWELL!!!! He's got Corey Jackson-type potential!!
Oh come on. That's pretty low. You're talking about an undrafted AA guy who washed out of the NFL and one of the most productive run stuffers coming out of college drafted in the fifth round. No one in this thread is saying he's going to be awesome, either.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #23
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer
 
RunSilentRunDeep's Avatar
 
I root for laundry

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Oh come on. That's pretty low. You're talking about an undrafted AA guy who washed out of the NFL and one of the most productive run stuffers coming out of college drafted in the fifth round. No one in this thread is saying he's going to be awesome, either.
Relax, I'm just joking about the building excitement. I live in Hokie country and am well aware of his run-stuffing abilities. I think he's going to have a long career somewhere and I hope it's opposite Thomas in the 3-4. Don't think he could handle the nose though.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Elway777
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,886
Default

I think Powell would make a exellent defence end because he is so good at stopping the run . I also think he could move to nose tackle on passing down to give the Broncos a good pass rusher from nose tackle position. It all depends if he recovers from his injury.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #25
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail
 
WyoLaw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's because Keisel went to BYU and is awesome.
Or rather he's from Wyoming and awesome. HA!!
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Denver Broncos