The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Elway777
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,886
Default Conner Barwin ,Ziggy Hood and Jarron Gilbert having great combines

Conner Barwin with a 4.56 plus 41 inch verticle. Ziggy Hood with a 4.89 plus bench o 30. Gilbert with a 4.78 with a 36 inch verticle. What if the Broncos trade down with Philly and draft 1 . Conner Barwin 2a Ziggy Hood 2b Jarron Gilbert. In The 3 round the go after Donald Brown or Peerman. The Broncos then could offer Watson from the cardinals about 5 year 20 million with 10 million signing bonus to play nose tackle. Watson would cost us a 4 round pick. The Broncos would have a defensive line of Thomas ,Watson ,and Hood with Peterson and Gilbert and Powell off the bench. Barwin and Moss at outside linebacker with Williams and larsen in the middle.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

I see my boy Sidbury did very well. Sweeeet.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Hood is not a great fit for 3-4.

Barwin is an interesting pick, he has done very well.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,035

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Conner Barwin with a 4.56 plus 41 inch verticle. Ziggy Hood with a 4.89 plus bench o 30. Gilbert with a 4.78 with a 36 inch verticle. What if the Broncos trade down with Philly and draft 1 . Conner Barwin 2a Ziggy Hood 2b Jarron Gilbert. In The 3 round the go after Donald Brown or Peerman. The Broncos then could offer Watson from the cardinals about 5 year 20 million with 10 million signing bonus to play nose tackle. Watson would cost us a 4 round pick. The Broncos would have a defensive line of Thomas ,Watson ,and Hood with Peterson and Gilbert and Powell off the bench. Barwin and Moss at outside linebacker with Williams and larsen in the middle.
Can't they still tender him at a higher level?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,287

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Connor Barwin: Mike Vrabel II?

Evander Hood: A decent 4-3 prospect.

Jarron Gilbert: Could he play DE in a 3-4? Does anyone know?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Hood is not a great fit for 3-4.

Barwin is an interesting pick, he has done very well.
I think Ziggy Hood might be a very good 3-4 DE. I mean he might even be better than Tyson Jackson at that spot. He is a high motor player, and his team mates and coaches think he's the hardest working guy on the team.

Doesn't 6'4" 295 fit the 3-4 De mold perfectly? High motor, can beat double teams? I like him, because he's a great football player. Watching Big 12 games - you hear his name a lot. He's a disruptor.

I'd love to see him at 3-4 DE.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I think Ziggy Hood might be a very good 3-4 DE. I mean he might even be better than Tyson Jackson at that spot. He is a high motor player, and his team mates and coaches think he's the hardest working guy on the team.

Doesn't 6'4" 295 fit the 3-4 De mold perfectly? High motor, can beat double teams? I like him, because he's a great football player. Watching Big 12 games - you hear his name a lot. He's a disruptor.

I'd love to see him at 3-4 DE.
The ideal size is 6'6 - 6'7 and 300-310 lb.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
The ideal size is 6'6 - 6'7 and 300-310 lb.
No one on the Steelers is that big.
No one on the Ravens is that big.
There is one Charger (Olshansky) that meets your criteria.

Most of the guys on these successful 3-4 teams are around 6'3" - 6'4" and average about 290.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,287

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
No one on the Steelers is that big.
No one on the Ravens is that big.
There is one Charger (Olshansky) that meets your criteria.

Most of the guys on these successful 3-4 teams are around 6'3" - 6'4" and average about 290.
Beat me to it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,035

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
No one on the Steelers is that big.
No one on the Ravens is that big.
There is one Charger (Olshansky) that meets your criteria.

Most of the guys on these successful 3-4 teams are around 6'3" - 6'4" and average about 290.
Brett Kiesel is that big.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,287

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Brett Kiesel is that big.
6'7" and 310? Then his bio is false. He doesn't have the frame to go over 295 and he's closer to 6'5" than 6'6".
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,287

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

his bio lists him at 6'5" and 285.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,035

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
oops

Last edited by rugbythug; 02-23-2009 at 12:44 PM..
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Connor Barwin: Mike Vrabel II?

Evander Hood: A decent 4-3 prospect.

Jarron Gilbert: Could he play DE in a 3-4? Does anyone know?
The book on Gilbert is that he is the 2nd best 4/5 technique DE after Tyson Jackson in the draft.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

I like all three of those guys. I hope we can land one or 2 of them somehow.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,035

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

I could be wrong though
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,306

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Barwin is doing so well, it's starting to scare me. Like Mike Mamula.

HGT-6040
WGT-256
40-4.66
225-21
VERT-40.5
JUMP-10'8"
20S-4.18
60S-
3C-6.87
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Are they all 2nd - 3rd rounders or will one get into the first somehow??
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
MVP-06
MVP
 
MVP-06's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 632

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

[QUOTE=Kaylore;2299231]Connor Barwin: Mike Vrabel II?

Evander Hood: A decent 4-3 prospect.

Jarron Gilbert: Could he play DE in a 3-4? Does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

6'5" and 290 lbs so should be able to hold it down on the edge. Was reading a little about him the other day and he had like 22 tfl last year so and was the defensive co-mvp in the WAC so his combine stats seem to be lining up with his on the field contributions. Problem is he is probably at worst a high 2nd rounder now
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Barwin is doing so well, it's starting to scare me. Like Mike Mamula.

HGT-6040
WGT-256
40-4.66
225-21
VERT-40.5
JUMP-10'8"
20S-4.18
60S-
3C-6.87
Unlike Mamula Barwin actually perform in college. Everyone knew that he was very good athlete the question is how easily can he move into OLB in the pros
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #21
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,287

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP-06 View Post

6'5" and 290 lbs so should be able to hold it down on the edge. Was reading a little about him the other day and he had like 22 tfl last year so and was the defensive co-mvp in the WAC so his combine stats seem to be lining up with his on the field contributions. Problem is he is probably at worst a high 2nd rounder now
Well maybe we can still trade down.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #22
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Back to Connor Barwin - what do you do with this kid?

He is beating the crap out of all the D-linemen. Lots of his combine times and jumps are better than Aaron Curry's. I know, I know - beware of the Combine star. But the fact is, he is beating the most talented LB prospect on the board - so where does this kid get drafted?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
e-mac
Rookie
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 67

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Conner Barwin goes in the 2nd to one of the 3-4 teams to us who knows but the first day is in his future IMO one of the 3-4 teams miss out on the big name DE conversion guys and he is the consolation pick in the 2nd.
e-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,035

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Unlike Mamula Barwin actually perform in college. Everyone knew that he was very good athlete the question is how easily can he move into OLB in the pros
The Myth of Mike Mamula
By Michael David Smith

Mike Mamula’s name is thrown around every year at draft time as the simple shorthand for a player whom N.F.L. general managers fall in love with based solely on the athleticism he displays at the scouting combine, and who then goes on to have a terrible N.F.L. career.

There are just two problems with that perception of Mamula:
1. The Eagles didn’t make him the seventh pick in the 1995 draft based solely on his combine performance.
2. His N.F.L. career wasn’t terrible.

As to that first part, yes, it’s true that Mamula helped himself by showing strength, speed and quickness at the combine. But he also helped himself by showing great production on the field during his career at Boston College. N.F.L. personnel evaluators liked Mamula long before they knew how fast he could run or how high he could jump. As just one example, take this Times story by William N. Wallace on November 13, 1994, after Boston College beat Syracuse, 31-0. Wallace wrote:

There were several National Football League scouts watching the game, and they could not help but give good grades to Mike Mamula, the Boston College defensive end who spent most of the day in the Syracuse backfield.

Mamula was an excellent college player who was attracting N.F.L. attention for his play on the field before the scouting combine.

And what about the second part, that Mamula’s N.F.L. career was terrible? Well, it wasn’t. A year ago at this time, Reuben Frank did something extraordinary: He wrote an N.F.L. draft story that actually analyzed Mamula’s career objectively. And an objective analysis of Mamula’s career shows that he was a fine player who had some bad luck with injuries. For his first three seasons in Philadelphia, Mamula was a starter on one of the best defenses in the N.F.L. He missed all of 1998 after suffering a preseason injury, returned in 1999 to record 8.5 sacks, and then suffered more injuries in 2000 before finally calling it a career.

Yes, Eagles fans who say the team would have been better off drafting Warren Sapp are correct. But the Eagles were looking for an edge pass rusher that year, and if they hadn’t drafted Mamula, they likely would have passed on Sapp and chosen Derrick Alexander, the defensive end out of Florida State. Alexander finished his career with 20 sacks, 11.5 fewer than Mamula.

Mamula will never be remembered as a great N.F.L. player. But neither should his name be synonymous with failure in the N.F.L. draft.

Michael David Smith also writes for FanHouse, Pro Football Talk, College Football Talk,Football Outsiders and The New York Sun.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Barwin is doing so well, it's starting to scare me. Like Mike Mamula.

HGT-6040
WGT-256
40-4.66
225-21
VERT-40.5
JUMP-10'8"
20S-4.18
60S-
3C-6.87
His shuttle and 3-cone numbers are unreal! Those are WR/RB/CB quick...pretty impressive but I would rather not draft anyone based on combine numbers. I like picking guys who show up on game day regardless of their 40 times. I don't know anything about him or his production so I can't say.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Denver Broncos