The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Rank this SB

Whatta you say? Its gotta be top 10, no doubt. Again, the 4th quarter carried it, but that was a good game.

Obviously, we are biased here, so the 2 Denver wins pan out #1 and #2. And the Packers win was tremendous & carries itself as a top 10 game outside the Denver fandome.

After that, whats your take? Again, a bit biased, but I enjoyed watch Chucky and Tampa crush the Faider nation.

And then there are the competitive SBs... The Rams/Titans with the tackle at the one yard line... Norwood misses the FG... Last years 18 and game...

Even thou the 3 Pats SB victories were good, the only that really interests me in watching again was the first one vs the Rams. I remember Pats fans talking about the Pats/Panthers SB as the most spellbinding ever. Me, I thought it was boring and poorly played until the 3rd quarter. But opinions are opinions.

Here is a half thought out list subject to change of the 10 best:

#1 Denver/Packers
#2 Denver/Falcons
#3 Pitt/Dallas - SB XIII with Jackie Harris's dropped TD
#4 Rams/Titans
#5 Giants/Bills
#6 Giants/Pats
#7 Pitt/Arizona
#8 SF/Cincy (maybe this should be ranked higher)
#9 Jets/Baltimore - props to Joe Willie for putting the AFC on the map
#10 Bucs/Raiders - based more on venom towards the "team of the decades" than anything else.
#11 (honorable mention - probably should bump Bucs/Raiders) Pats/Rams

Ok, well, I am off to bed. Let me know what you think.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Why do you have the two SB won by Denver ranked 1 and 2?
Come on man. We all love the Broncos but even that's ridiculous of you to do that...

As far as SBXLIII I believe it should be ranked in the top ten. This came down to the wire. Usuallt not al SB's end up that way...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I don't know, something about it just didn't get me all that pumped up. While it was certainly competitive, at the end of the day the superior team beat the 9-7 team that fought their way through the playoffs.

Had the Cardinals won, it would have been one for the ages.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Come on man. We all love the Broncos but even that's ridiculous of you to do that...

As far as SBXLIII I believe it should be ranked in the top ten. This came down to the wire. Usuallt not al SB's end up that way...
Yeah, SB33 was great for us Bronco fans, but to the rest of the NFL it was just us teeing off on the Falcons. The Elway/Reeves/Shanahan drama pry helped a bit, as did the fact it was Elway's last game, but it was still an ass kicking.

Now SB32 was one of, if not the best to ever be played.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

my top 10

#1 Denver/Packers
#2 Denver/Falcons
#3 Giants/Pats
#4 Pitt/Arizona
#5 Pats/Rams
#6 Giants/Bills
#7 Bucs/Raiders
#8 SF/Cincy (1988)
#9 Panthers/Pats
#10 Rams/Titans
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

This was a pretty darned good one. Off the top of my head I'd say top 6 or 7.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Ninjatime
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Last years SB was definately a toper too. especially with the 19-0 implications!
Ninjatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Superbowl 42 (Giants/Pats) was the best superbowl ever played in terms of pure drama.

Broncos/Packers was the best superbowl ever played in terms of the quality of the teams. That was one of the (very) few superbowls that saw the two best teams playing at their full potential.

*edit*:

Actually in terms of drama I'd have to go Superbowl 34 (Titans/Rams). That last play with the Titans guy stretched out just short of the goal line was pure drama at its very best.

Last edited by enjolras; 02-01-2009 at 11:14 PM..
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

My top 8 in no particular order...
Packers/Broncos
49ers/Bengals
Pats/Giants
Pats/Rams
Cards/Steelers
Jets/Colts
Steelers/Cowboys
Bills/Cowboys
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post

Broncos/Packers was the best superbowl ever played in terms of the quality of the teams. That was one of the (very) few superbowls that saw the two best teams playing at their full potential.

*edit*:

yes and no...the broncos were a #5 seed, packers #1. The Broncos were only the 2nd wild card team ever to win a SuperBowl
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

If super bowl 32 and super bowl 33 arent top 2 of your all time super bowls, turn in your bronco fan card.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
If super bowl 32 and super bowl 33 arent top 2 of your all time super bowls, turn in your bronco fan card.
I think we are viewing it as overall fans not just Broncos fans. I turned in my homer glasses and kept the Broncos fan card.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
yes and no...the broncos were a #5 seed, packers #1. The Broncos were only the 2nd wild card team ever to win a SuperBowl
The Broncos were the #4 seed that year, but they had the second best record in the AFC, 1 game behind the Chiefs (and that gap was extremely narrow). They went to Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs. While the Chefs were very good that year, the Broncos (in the end) were the better team.

This is the same Broncos team that was 13-3 the year before (and the AFC #1 seed).

They narrowly lost to the Chiefs during the regular season. Those two teams were VERY close that year. In the end, since the Broncos beat the only team with a better record in the AFC, I think it is difficult to argue that they were not the best team in the AFC.

The Packers were clearly the best team in the NFC.

Both teams played lights out in that superbowl. They executed superbly. They both played with passion. They both were very well prepared.

It was a great superbowl.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post

32 ranks up there as an all time great. What has since been lost is the fact that that was the AFCs first SB win in 14 years. Its not such a big deal now but when you are in the middle of a 14 year run, not to mention that Denver had never won a SB and GB had never lost a SB, and you have a lot of drama when youre living in that moment. That SB came down to the very end too with Denver driving the ball down Green Bays throat when they needed to as they had done all day. We all knew Denver had a great running game but for them to do that was epic...and it was also giving the NFC a taste of their own medicine. 32 was an incredible game with a very dramatic finish.

For the sake of this exercise, Im omitting the two Denver wins. So, I will say this is behind last years win for the Giants and the one where the Titans came up a yard short. Top ten? Im not sure there have really been that many SBs that came down to the wire like that.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I think some people are overrating this Super Bowl. It was rather mediocre 3 quarters of play that was particularly dominated by the Steelers.
4th quarter was good, but it doesn't mean its a top Super Bowl.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 AM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
I think some people are overrating this Super Bowl. It was rather mediocre 3 quarters of play that was particularly dominated by the Steelers.
r u nuts? Cards defense stopped the Steelers half way through the 2nd quarter. It took a 100 yard interception with no time to spare to reverse the 7 point crusade by Warner. Once 4th quarter got going, it was balls to the wall. This was top 8 SB of all time.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I agree with this point. It very boring until end of the first half and 4th qtr. I am sure the media will put it up there with the 49ers/Bengals game, but the GB/Denver game was far better in terms of team play.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Great game by two good (not even very good) teams.

Neither of these teams makes it very far in an up swing year talent/health wise in the league. They caught a lot of breaks to get there but still played a very enjoyable game.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

The NE vs NYG game was the most exciting non Bronco superbowl I have ever seen. Last nights SB sucked until the 4th quarter.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

This years game was pretty boring. The commercials sucked. Neither of the teams was that exciting. It wasn't as bad as Giants/Ravens but it wasn't that great of a game. It might make the top ten just because for 12 of the 13 years the NFC dominated only one good game came out of it and everything earlier than that is difficult to rank. There have been a lot of bad Superbowls.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #21
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
I don't know, something about it just didn't get me all that pumped up. While it was certainly competitive, at the end of the day the superior team beat the 9-7 team that fought their way through the playoffs.

Had the Cardinals won, it would have been one for the ages.
Ya think? IMHO, had the Cards held on to win, they woulda been the weakest team to ever win a SB. Their defense was mediocre - allowing the most TDs ever of a SB contestant - their STs were nothing special, their running game was largely ineffective thru the year, etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #22
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
The Cards played well in the 2nd quarter as well with the exception of that Int on the final play of the half. If AZ coulda put together 4 good quarters, they woulda win handily.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #23
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Ya think? IMHO, had the Cards held on to win, they woulda been the weakest team to ever win a SB. Their defense was mediocre - allowing the most TDs ever of a SB contestant - their STs were nothing special, their running game was largely ineffective thru the year, etc, etc, etc.
It would have been cool but put in that context it reminds you how week the two teams really were. It was a rough year for a lot of teams. I think it was a weak year for the NFL. The Steelers wouldn't have beaten either the Giants or Patriots last year. Probably would have lost to both this year. Good defense yes but they didn't exactly wow me with a shutdown performance. Arizona has been one dimensional all year but Warner was still able to do some damage. Their offense isn't that spectacular either. They couldn't put up many on the Cardinal defense and as you stated they weren't exactly world beaters. They just do enough to get by.

When I think of Superbowl quality teams I think of our Broncos in 32 and 33, the Warner lead Rams, a couple of the Patriots teams, etc. Neither of these two really fit the bill.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote