The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
TheDave
Sauced...

Default Plummer: Shanny firing "was past due"

Jakes red ass syndrom continues...

Plummer: Shanny firing "was past due"

TAMPA, Fla. — Not all of Mike Shanahan's former quarterbacks were disappointed to see him get fired as the Broncos' coach.

"I thought it was past due," Jake Plummer said in a telephone interview Thursday. "I think he had done what he could do and was just tapped out as far as his coaching style wasn't motivating guys anymore."

One of Plummer's former teams is here preparing for Super Bowl XLIII. Who would have guessed two years ago, when Plummer retired at the relatively young age of 32, that it would be the Arizona Cardinals and not the Broncos?

"You think the Cardinals have been perfect to get there?" Plummer said. "They've scrapped and clawed and they're standing now on the verge of a very historic moment."

The Broncos finished this past season 8-8 and missed the playoffs. The Cardinals finished their regular season 9-7 and are 60 minutes away from a world championship.
It can be razor-thin, the difference between success and failure. It's a line Plummer believes Shanahan found difficult to straddle.

Plummer was the Broncos' quarterback from 2003 until he was replaced 12 games into the 2006 season by a rookie named Jay Cutler. Speaking not out of bitterness but in his relaxed, if straightforward, manner in a telephone interview from his home in Sandpoint, Idaho, Plummer indicated Shanahan seemed to become increasingly obsessed with the Broncos' NFL rank in offense or defense instead of the win-loss record.

"It's hard on a team. We were 7-2 at one point my last year and we came out of a meeting with our heads bowed and we were all just sulking around like we had just been berated for not putting up 40 points, for not leading the league in offense, for not creating enough turnovers," Plummer said.

"It was a weird style to be coached that way. It really took it out of you as a player. I've been on 2-7 teams that had better attitudes coming out of team meetings than oftentimes when we came out of team meetings after Shanahan felt a need to motivate us even more."

To be fair to Shanahan, others of his former players did not feel that way. Cutler was upset when Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired Shana-han two days after the 2008 season, and he said so publicly. And Plummer admits his personal relationship with Shanahan began to deteriorate after the Broncos' home loss in the 2005 AFC championship game and was compounded by a miscommunication regarding an offseason workout. Plummer thought he had cleared missing a week of offseason conditioning with an assistant coach only to learn later Shanahan was not informed.

Soon after, the Broncos traded up in the first round to select Cutler with the No. 11 pick in the 2006 draft. From then on, Shanahan seemed to be looking for reasons to replace Plummer with the rocket-armed Cutler.

The Broncos were 40-18 with Plummer as their starting quarterback. While everyone acknowledges Cutler is a far more talented passer, he is only 17-20 as a starter.

"He's a great quarterback, don't get me wrong," Plummer said. "I'm not saying anything to disrespect him. I think he's a helluva player. But Jeff George was a helluva player. There's a lot of guys who have been great players."

George had a long NFL career but was criticized for not winning more games.

Plummer said Cutler has a chance to become a star now that former New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has replaced Shana-han as head coach.

"I think it's a real smart move," Plummer said. "There's a lot of young coaches that are coming out of situations where they're coordinators for great coaches and going out on their own and really establishing themselves. He is young, but he's got to bring a lot of life and energy to coaching, which I'm sure will be good for that organization."

Let others question Bowlen's wisdom for hiring a 32-year-old as head coach. Plummer's not among them.

"At that level, there's mutual respect," Plummer said. "There should be mutual respect between coach and player and player and coach. Some coaches can accomplish that while staying in charge, but others, if they can't do it naturally, they do it with an iron fist or engulfing you in a way that didn't feel right. I think that's what happened to Shanahan. He just tried so hard and pushed so hard that nothing was good enough. Nothing."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11586720
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

This has already been covered for a few days in the other Jake/Shanny thread.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76330
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

my bad...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Sorry, I totally agree with Plummer in what he said about Shanahan. But also, where's the thank you to Shanahn for rescuing him from Arizona and making him the best QB he could be?

As far as Cutler goes, he has no right to say anything as Cutler is already a better QB than him. BUT Cutler has a little attitude problem that if he doesn't check it will result in him becoming a neanderthal like George, not a QB like George.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

Yeah but that one has gotten so long it got lost.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

interesting. I love Plummer but he needs to eventually just not answer these questions asked about Denver. Get over it.

"Getting reamed for not putting up 40".....

Good, Shanny and Denver fans want Wins and more wins. Slapping backs and enjoying a win is great, but moving onto the next week is even more important.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
To be fair to Shanahan, others of his former players did not feel that way.
Most important line in the story.

Sad to see front-runner Jake embarrass himself like this.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Yeah, he further stigmatizes his time in Denver. Im getting to the point that I regret this guy was ever a Bronco. In fact, Im already there.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:

He didn't embarrass himself. Nothing he said isn't true.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
He didn't embarrass himself. Nothing he said isn't true.
Well, considering Plummers best years were clearly when he was with Denver, its apparent that Shanahans message was clearly reaching Plummer. So its a little dishonest for him to suggest Shanahan was no longer having an effect on the team, when he was clearly having an effect on Jakes career. Jakes talking out of both sides of his mouth.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Well, considering Plummers best years were clearly when he was with Denver, its apparent that Shanahans message was clearly reaching Plummer. So its a little dishonest for him to suggest Shanahan was no longer having an effect on the team, when he was clearly having an effect on Jakes career. Jakes talking out of both sides of his mouth.
I will say he should give Shanny more credit for the best years of his career. That said, it is hard to argue that the team never seemed very motivated the last few seasons.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

I thought he embarssed himself too. Like I said in the other thread:

Jake can flap his gums all he wants about not getting his hand held by Shanahan. But at the end of the day, all it does is open an old wound and shows us why this guy couldn't hack it in the NFL: poor judgement.

His best years were under Shanahan. His absolute best play was when Shanahan had him by the scruff of his neck, and kept the leash short. Jake played his way out of a job, and then quit. Every thing he says comes off as some kind of half-assed rationalization for why he couldn't hack it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
That said, it is hard to argue that the team never seemed very motivated the last few seasons.

No it's not. The Broncos never gave up in any game this last season. That was one of the comments that consistenly came up - no matter what the score was, especially on offense, our guys went out with a purpose.

You can't argue the results - we had an 8-8 season and folded down the stretch. But to say that they weren't very motivated - that's nonsense. The only time we've ever seen a Broncos team not motivated was during the "We're finished" Superbowl hangover era.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
interesting. I love Plummer but he needs to eventually just not answer these questions asked about Denver. Get over it.

Good, Shanny and Denver fans want Wins and more wins. Slapping backs and enjoying a win is great, but moving onto the next week is even more important.
you can only breathe flame indiscriminately for so long before the ppl u do it to develop defense mechanisms. Start tuning you out, or start sniping behind your back.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I will say he should give Shanny more credit for the best years of his career. That said, it is hard to argue that the team never seemed very motivated the last few seasons.

If youre Jake Plummer and the guy you are criticizing is significantly responsible for the best years of your career, then youre not the one that should be saying anything about his ability to motivate. Again, its double talk and because he's talking out of both sides of his mouth, he's not making sense.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I thought he embarssed himself too. Like I said in the other thread:

Jake can flap his gums all he wants about not getting his hand held by Shanahan. But at the end of the day, all it does is open an old wound and shows us why this guy couldn't hack it in the NFL: poor judgement.

His best years were under Shanahan. His absolute best play was when Shanahan had him by the scruff of his neck, and kept the leash short. Jake played his way out of a job, and then quit. Every thing he says comes off as some kind of half-assed rationalization for why he couldn't hack it.
what absurdist standard of "hacking it" in the nfl are u using. not that I liked jake and his low pocket passing %, but he was a qb for like what? a decade? then when he retired he still had teams chasing him down to be their qb.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
No it's not. The Broncos never gave up in any game this last season. That was one of the comments that consistenly came up - no matter what the score was, especially on offense, our guys went out with a purpose.

You can't argue the results - we had an 8-8 season and folded down the stretch. But to say that they weren't very motivated - that's nonsense. The only time we've ever seen a Broncos team not motivated was during the "We're finished" Superbowl hangover era.
It's not nonsense when you go out one week and beat playoff caliber teams and then the next get embarrassed by teams like Oakland, KC, and Detroit. That is an unmotivated team, sorry.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post

The interesting thing about that quote is that it happened after we beat the Raiders 17-13. We were lsoing 7-13 going into the fourth quarter, and jake had thrown two interceptions in the first half, and another interception in the third quarter. Our first ten drives we had 1 touchdown, 3 interceptions, and 6 punts.

The drive that we ended up with the go ahead winning score, Plummer fumbled the ball on the Oakland 4 yard line, but Nash recovered it. On 4th an 1, Plummer managed to find Kyle Johnson in the endzone.

It was a very ugly game. Apparently Jake wanted more pats on the back after his performance there.

Last edited by Taco John; 01-31-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Shanahan just didn't like Plummer. Simple as that. I like both of them but they just weren't meant to be.

Last edited by Blart; 01-31-2009 at 02:06 PM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
my bad...
Damn you .. post only in existing thread , as a self appointed mod , it is my duty to ban for 7 weeks starting in 2012 ......... dont let it happen again
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

Yep, this really is embarrassing. Guy owes most of his success to Shanahan, had his best years with the Broncos after the league had pretty much given up on him. He has turned out to be an absolutely whiny child
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Anyone else think Jake is missing the game and regrets that he quit?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
Anyone else think the Cards wouldn't be in the SB if Jake was their QB?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
It looks more likely to me that his ego is still bruised over Shanahan's drafting of Jay. The opportunity to take a retaliatory shot presented itself and he took it. IMO, he would have been better served to remain silent if he couldn't say something nice... it would have shown more maturity and class. But whatever... he's no longer relevant to the Broncos and therefore, neither is his opinion.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

how can anyone side with Plummer on this.

Listen to his words, "nothing is ever good enough", what is this the 3rd grade? Pop Warner football? No I'd be disrespecting those kids with such a comparison. What type of a loser wonders aloud "nothing is good enough?" a sore one, thats who.

Really, "football wasn't fun anymore" Jesus if a teamate told me that the coach is yelling at him too much or that football's not fun anymore, I think the entire team would get on him for that type of bull****, Its actually appauling to me that a NFL football player can say something as retarded as that.

Winners win and shut the **** up, losers are the only ones that make excuses like these. I was unaware that Jake was so lazy and afraid of a challenge.

Last edited by Willynowei; 01-31-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote