The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default mike florio and adam schefter predict work stoppage some point soon..

and it makes sense too. owners cant afford to keep paying 59% to the players, the players wont accept less. soon its gonna come down to who folds first, and the players wont win this one.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e6a4d6

(its a small tidbit in the middle, but they both basically say yes there will be a work stoppage in teh NFL soon)
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

How soon is soon?
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i predict in 2010. i can't see the owners willingly going into an uncapped season, because if the salary cap is not there, it is never coming back. if nothing is agreed between the players and owners by the 2010 season, there will be a strike.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Good maybe i can stop watching the broncos like i did the avs. this damn team takes up so much of my time( more then i would like) its like booze its not around you cant drink
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Does the cap even matter? Most teams are way under aren't they? I realize teams like the Raiders totally screw it but it'd be even more fun to watch Al spend a billion a year and still field a loser. I'm not really sure how relevant the cap really is?
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Does the cap even matter? Most teams are way under aren't they? I realize teams like the Raiders totally screw it but it'd be even more fun to watch Al spend a billion a year and still field a loser. I'm not really sure how relevant the cap really is?
Well it would be like baseball, where the big market teams could spend as much as they want where smaller markets realistically don't stand a chance....
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Well it would be like baseball, where the big market teams could spend as much as they want where smaller markets realistically don't stand a chance....
since we are top 10 so it wouldn't be so bad for Us.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
since we are top 10 so it wouldn't be so bad for Us.
bowlen most definitely is not top 10 in money, and doesnt hold a candle to the jerry jones' of the NFL.

great owner - yes. relatively, however, he is not at the top of the NFL in money power.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The players will take less eventually. I mean, they are only playing frickin football. Let em try to hit the open market looking for a normal job and we'll see how long they last. Fans are loyal to teams. If the players strike, bring on the subs. I'll be rooting for the guy wearing the Broncos jersey while the so called star player is at home with his 10 cars. All I want to really see is passion and effort from these players. Sure, subs are not as good as the normal guys but I'd rather see them then no NFL at all.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
bowlen most definitely is not top 10 in money, and doesnt hold a candle to the jerry jones' of the NFL.

great owner - yes. relatively, however, he is not at the top of the NFL in money power.
Yeah but only a few owners, maybe Snyder, Jones will want to lose money on the team. It just doesn't make business sense to spend more then you make.

Broncos would be very competitive in a market with no cap IMO.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yeah but only a few owners, maybe Snyder, Jones will want to lose money on the team. It just doesn't make business sense to spend more then you make.

i still dont see the owners giving in on this. the players need to take less, look how many thousands of people are getting fired over the greediness of the players, its getting stupid how big some of their contracts are. some are making a MILLION DOLLARS per game. every sunday they make a million dollars, can you even fathom that?

its ridiculous and i hope the owners win.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i still dont see the owners giving in on this. the players need to take less, look how many thousands of people are getting fired over the greediness of the players, its getting stupid how big some of their contracts are. some are making a MILLION DOLLARS per game. every sunday they make a million dollars, can you even fathom that?

the owners are going to win. players are going to realize making big money playing football even with a drop in their salary is better than not making that kind of money and will cave.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #13
La Caspa Del Diablo
Rookie

NFLN sold their soul by putting that sleezeball on air.
La Caspa Del Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #14
dekers
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jim Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
The players will take less eventually. I mean, they are only playing frickin football. Let em try to hit the open market looking for a normal job and we'll see how long they last. Fans are loyal to teams. If the players strike, bring on the subs. I'll be rooting for the guy wearing the Broncos jersey while the so called star player is at home with his 10 cars. All I want to really see is passion and effort from these players. Sure, subs are not as good as the normal guys but I'd rather see them then no NFL at all.
Could not say it any better then you did.
dekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #15
extralife
Ring of Famer

NFL players typically make less than those of any other mainstream professional sport in America. They're careers are also generally shorter and they have more health issues down the road. The NFL and it's corporate partners make ridiculous amounts of money on their backs.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

I just don't get emotional over this at all. I could care less who wins just put the football on the field. All these people are richer then i will ever be so to tell you the truth it doesn't matter to me who wins.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

And every owner makes at least two or three times that a game, not counting the various league wide sources of revenue.

Any time millionaires and billionaires fight over a few points its disgusting to the American people. I don't get why people are so often against the "spoiled" millionaires and in favor of the billionaires though.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #18
extralife
Ring of Famer

People think the billionaires "earned" their money while the stupid punk players lucked into it by cheating us out of it. Racism is usually a part of it.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #19
La Caspa Del Diablo
Rookie

Quote:

NFL players are The Show. The players deserve everything they have been given. These guys put their well-being on the line. A good chunk of them are living their post-football years in misery.

MLB and NBA stars have it better because their contracts are guaranteed and they have longer careers.
La Caspa Del Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #20
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:

The Broncos are barely a breakeven team. We would not be competitive with some markets (deja vu).
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #21
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

The NFL and the players are going to have to get used to taking less money.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #22
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

The Union is using Club values as their measuring stick. And they have a good point the problem with using values though is that you only get those when you sell. Most Clubs are only around break even when it comes to Revenue.

If there is no NFL. I would just watch more college Football. Maybe Wyo will get good.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #23
Meck77

Seaon ticket bills are going to take a back seat to mortgages, car payments, and food for 2009. The owners better get their **** together.

Last edited by Meck77; 01-30-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #24
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Money to the owners or money to the players....one place it will definitely not be going is back to the fans.

It would be awesome to see a very powerful fan coalition that would also have a seat at the bargaining table pushing for <$10 beers and <$100 seats. The type of large fan 'union' that could impact ratings and affect corporate sponsorships with their actions.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #25
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i predict in 2010. i can't see the owners willingly going into an uncapped season, because if the salary cap is not there, it is never coming back.
This is not a realistic view of the situation. Despite popular belief that everything is going to be spend, spend, spend in an uncapped year, the absence of a salary cap means worse conditions for both the players and the owners. It also means less spending overall.

- There are several provisions in place for an uncapped year. Unlike popular belief, an uncapped year does not mean that everyone can just "go crazy spending." The shared revenue is gone and teams still will have limits to what they can spend based on these provisions. Teams that finished toward the top of the league will also be hamstrung in terms of who they can sign because of these rules designed to make life without a CBA very bad for both parties.

- There will also be no salary floor. Teams will sign players more desperate to less than the minimum. They also won't have spend a minimum amount on their overall roster which means less money for Joe average football player.

- With a potential work stoppage, no team is going to be that into signing a "huge" contract with a player that isn't going to play in a year. This will further reign in spending.

- The economy is pretty soft which means even with the CBA, the cash in the bank is low. Just because they have the room to work with doesn't mean franchises has the money to throw at these players.

Bottom Line: Even if some big free agents benefit from an uncapped year (which is debatable in itself. Most teams are double-digit millions under the cap as it is and the spending still isn't going up!) An uncapped year is bad for owners and players overall. A few big contracts won't offset the majority of the rank and file player who will be taking lower salaries with fewer guaranties. Owners will have less revenue to work with as well. Ultimately an uncapped year isn't some magical fantasy land where players make a ton of money. It's going to suck for everyone.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote