The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Job Networking Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Default Government

Welcome to the Government Thread. Please post jobs related to Government work below.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Anybody have any experience with the Predator or the Reaper? Even Imagery Analysis. Drop me a PM or post in here. There are opportunities all over the country.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

I didn't read the rules..sorry
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

usajobs.com is a good spot to look if you are into military/goverment jobs for civilian workers.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
Anybody have any experience with the Predator or the Reaper? Even Imagery Analysis. Drop me a PM or post in here. There are opportunities all over the country.
I worked on the acquisition piece for the Predator.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Stealing from the QA site, here's a government job: Quality Assurance for DoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob....4&SUBMIT1.y=13
SALARY RANGE: 60,459.00 - 94,200.00 USD per year OPEN PERIOD: Friday, January 30, 2009
to Wednesday, February 11, 2009
SERIES & GRADE: GS-1910-11/12 POSITION INFORMATION: - This is a Permanent position. -- Full Time
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: Target 12 DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy - CO - Boulder
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: US Citizens

Once again, if you have not applied for gov jobs in the past or have not been successful, contact me first!

Feel free to contact OSKIE.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
usajobs.com is a good spot to look if you are into military/goverment jobs for civilian workers.
Wait a copy of weeks because it was hacked again.... security needs to tighten up on the the site.

Also make sure you check out the individuals services sites for jobs, they something don't get posted to USAjobs in timely manner.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Independent View Post
Stealing from the QA site, here's a government job: Quality Assurance for DoD

Feel free to contact OSKIE.
Your not under NSPS?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Your not under NSPS?
Only Supervisors are. Non - supervisory are still GS.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Only Supervisors are. Non - supervisory are still GS.
You're missing out.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You're missing out.
Yes and no. Our supervisors lost money under NSPS. I can see its advantages, but the GS money pot is more secure. The NSPS money can be and has been used for other things and a lot of people don't get the compensation under it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
ksBRONCOfan
I love beer and Broncos!

YUM-O!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Yes and no. Our supervisors lost money under NSPS. I can see its advantages, but the GS money pot is more secure. The NSPS money can be and has been used for other things and a lot of people don't get the compensation under it.
ksBRONCOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksBRONCOfan View Post
well here's the thing, if the money is there, you can get a lot more under NSPS then under GS as the appraisal system is much more generous then under GS which kind of fixes that amount. And there are a ton of higher graded positions without being supervisory so you can get pretty high pay and awesome schedules either way. It depends really, my supervisor here lost some money, a supervisor in Tucson actually got a big bump, he would normally be equivalent GS-13 but under NSPS the grades are gone, there are pay bands so now he makes the same as a GS-14/15.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
The NSPS can not be used for other things, unless SECDEF sign off on it. If your supervisors lost money, then someone screwed up the the pay pool or they are at the very top of the bands. If they are at the top of the bands that means they need to move on. I have been in both systems - GS and NSPS- and I greatly prefer the NSPS. Bad thing for you is that Obama is about to discontinue it.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The NSPS can not be used for other things, unless SECDEF sign off on it. If your supervisors lost money, then someone screwed up the the pay pool or they are at the very top of the bands. If they are at the top of the bands that means they need to move on. I have been in both systems - GS and NSPS- and I greatly prefer the NSPS. Bad thing for you is that Obama is about to discontinue it.
Hmm, so the information they have been feeding us about NSPS is BS. Very interesting. Not shocking. Alot of people don't understand stuff and then try to explain it (see my prior postings for example, lol)
So if Obama is getting rid of it, does that mean all current NSPS will return to GS or is that DoD only or something?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Hmm, so the information they have been feeding us about NSPS is BS. Very interesting. Not shocking. Alot of people don't understand stuff and then try to explain it (see my prior postings for example, lol)
So if Obama is getting rid of it, does that mean all current NSPS will return to GS or is that DoD only or something?
We figure we end up like the Lab Demo program. They will say it success and keep Spirals that gone under it and might expand it to complete some echelons commands. But the rest of the folks will remain under current system.

When my command pulled the folks of pay band demo, must folks ended up in with 2 full grade increase under the GS system.

BTW - another reason your supervisor might have lost monies is due to poor performance grade or didn't write up their objectives and achievement correctly. In the former they should not be in supervisor position, in the latter the didn't take the time to do a good job.

Last edited by elsid13; 02-02-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We figure we end up like the Lab Demo program. They will say it success and keep Spirals that gone under it and might expand it to complete some echelons commands. But the rest of the folks will remain under current system.

When my command pulled the folks of pay band demo, must folks ended up in with 2 full grade increase under the GS system.

BTW - another reason your supervisor might have lost monies is due to poor performance grade or didn't write up their objectives and achievement correctly. In the former they should not be in supervisor position, in the latter the didn't take the time to do a good job.
True. And we all were supposed to go under it. We in fact started developing our new IPPs in a way so we had to bring evidence of our performance to our appraisal. Interestingly when I brought the evidence I got more bonuses then before and bigger ones. Granted this was GS stuff, but still it did work out for me pretty well. And my dad is a supervisor under NSPS and got higher pay, more in line with a 14 or 15 GS instead of a 13 GS which is usually what a first level supervisor is.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Another job search option is to check your state national guard site and look for tech announcements. Some states are looking for so many full timers that they are willing to accept non military persons to fill them. They are all GS positions.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
Another job search option is to check your state national guard site and look for tech announcements. Some states are looking for so many full timers that they are willing to accept non military persons to fill them. They are all GS positions.
I think most of the Guard positions are WG positions. WS for supervisors. I started in civil service with the ANG. Not a great living but it pays the bills and has good benefits and security.

NSPS. MI is 100% correct. Elsid, I think it depends greatly on the agency. Our agency the former GS 13, 14, and 15 supervisors are put in similar bands. The money that's available for pay increases typically goes to the 15s, then 14s first. The 13s are usually battling for the remaining $$$. While the supervisors that were GS-13s have the ability to make more money under NSPS they rarely do. And, a GS-12 that gets a promotion as a supervisor usually gets a 4 or 5% pay raise in NSPS. Meanwhile as GS-12 that gets a promotion to a GS-13 can easily go up 15%!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I think most of the Guard positions are WG positions. WS for supervisors. I started in civil service with the ANG. Not a great living but it pays the bills and has good benefits and security.

NSPS. MI is 100% correct. Elsid, I think it depends greatly on the agency. Our agency the former GS 13, 14, and 15 supervisors are put in similar bands. The money that's available for pay increases typically goes to the 15s, then 14s first. The 13s are usually battling for the remaining $$$. While the supervisors that were GS-13s have the ability to make more money under NSPS they rarely do. And, a GS-12 that gets a promotion as a supervisor usually gets a 4 or 5% pay raise in NSPS. Meanwhile as GS-12 that gets a promotion to a GS-13 can easily go up 15%!

The pay bands and rules are the same across all DoD. Promotion can be 5 to 20% increase (i.e moving from one band to another or from YA to YC track). Management transfer can be 0-6% within the pay band dependent on command. Annually within a pay pool a percentage must go to bonus(dependent of rating), general COLA (Congressial manadated), LMS and base salary (dependent on rating).

The former GS 14/15 (YA/YC-3) and GS 11/12/13(YA/YC-2) are in separate pay bands. I bet what is happening are the former 13 were near the top of the pay scale and are now at the top of pay band only working for bonus because they can not exceed the top range of the band in salary. Yes they are losing money. The system was designed to either force those folks to get promoted or get out. (And I know the former SES head of the program and she admitted as such). For someone that is not near the top of the pay scale it ensure that are more likely to get salary increase that is better then under the GS system.

On average in DC area all agencies and services under are seeing increase over the GS track.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!

Oh its true

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman

Got a ? for all of you government workers. I was active dute army, last job was training basic trainging privates on the m1a1/m1a2 main battle tank. I was e-5 promotable, I applied for so many jobs on usjobs.com but still did not get even an interview. Now i have won my battle with the VA I was awarded 60% disability, so that about 1100 a month but i still would like to get in the government side of the house in KY. I was in the army for 8 years any help would be great. Now Im a transportation manager for a small transportation company.
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
Got a ? for all of you government workers. I was active dute army, last job was training basic trainging privates on the m1a1/m1a2 main battle tank. I was e-5 promotable, I applied for so many jobs on usjobs.com but still did not get even an interview. Now i have won my battle with the VA I was awarded 60% disability, so that about 1100 a month but i still would like to get in the government side of the house in KY. I was in the army for 8 years any help would be great. Now Im a transportation manager for a small transportation company.
Three key things. First make sure you have the right key words for the job. Second make sure you apply directly to the the agency site that you are looking for a job with (DoA, DoAF, DoN, DCMA, FEMA, DHS etc), forget USAJOBs. Finally make sure you check the box that states you're a disable vet with honor discharge or better. (You get extra points for that automatic move you to top of the list). Don't get discouraged it take months for the certs to close and go through the interview process. (It is un****ing believe on the amount of time it takes to hire someone). Also I think VA has program that helps vets get government jobs but I am not sure about that.

Also think about working for contractor that get you in with the government client. That way you make contact and that will tell when jobs are coming up and you should apply for.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #23
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
http://online.onetcenter.org/crosswalk/

Go to that website and enter your MOS into the Military Occupation Classification area. It will list all sorts of good stuff to not only put on a resume, but great ideas for KSA's and other application processes. Helped me a ton.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Neat place you guys have going here, never stopped by before.

Anyone have connections to folks specifically looking for those with TS/SCI clearances? I have personal experience in All Source, HUMINT, and Counter-IED work.

I do know some people when the time comes but I'm seeing if anyone's got more options out there. If someone has a TS and is looking for a job, I know of a few contracting places that seem to be hiring. If you're willing to deploy, even easier.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Cool thread. I've never seen it before.

Ive been applying on usajobs like a madman the past 8-10 months. Im desperately looking for a job in either El Paso, TX (Ft Bliss/White Sands) or preferably in the Denver area. I'm currently in Dallas, but long term goals remain in Denver.

Ive got a buddy who is an air marshal that is hooking me up with a part time gig here in Dallas in the meantime (or as a foot in the door). They're currently performing a background check on me to get a secret clearance. I'd love to eventually become an air marshal OR to follow my bachelors and get into IT again.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote