The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Default Eagles Defensive Coordinator Has Skin Cancer

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...s-skin-cancer/

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 29, 2009, 6:15 p.m. EST
Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson is battling a serious melanoma that has metastasized to his spine and created a tumor that is causing him back problems, the Philadelphia Daily News reports.

The highly respected assistant coach is being given radiation treatment for his condition, and he will not be traveling to the Pro Bowl to coach the NFC defense. However, the 67-year-old still wants to maintain his coaching responsibilities as much as his health allows.

Johnson cited a “back problem” toward the end of the season and coached from the press box during the Eagles’ final two playoff games. He told a reporter before the NFC title game that he had injured himself swinging a golf club.

A metastasized cancer is regarded as extremely serious, and Eagles team trainer Rick Burkholder revealed that the back tumor isn’t the only part of Johnson’s body that has been afflicted with cancer. After undergoing melanoma surgery in 2001, Johnson had reportedly been cancer-free during his checkups since that point.

“He presented with the back pain the week of the Minnesota game,” Burkholder told Philadelphia reporters. “We got him an MRI right after the Giants game, and the MRI looked funny. We thought he was going to have a disc problem, because of the symptoms, but it actually looked like there was a tumor beside this stress fracture in his spine. That alerted our doctors that something else might be going on. They did further testing, further scans, had him see some other doctors, and it looks like the melanoma is back, in his back. It’s manifested itself in a tumor in his spine.

“He’s already started treatment, radiation treatment. That’s the first course … I think about 4 weeks of radiation, then we’ll take the next step from there. There are some other areas of his body — I’m not going to really get into where stuff is — but that’ll all be treated together. The main deal is his back, right now … that’s what we have to attack. The radiation will calm some of that pain down and let him get back to a little more normal walking.”

When asked if the cancer had spread to Johnson’s brain or spinal fluid, Burkholder said that it hadn’t at this point, adding that Johnson and his wife have remained “upbeat.”

Very Sad story-I am sure that he is seeing the best and brightest oncologists. Best wishes go out to him

Last edited by broncofan7; 01-29-2009 at 05:30 PM..
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

I had melanoma too, nasty stuff. Getting cancer is a real life changer and i'll pray for the brightest defensive mind in the game.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

My mother has fought melanoma for the last 9 years. Been rough and its a nasty b****. Prayers for Johnson and his family.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Jim Johnson looks like a tough ole bird. Hopefully he makes cancer his b****.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Unfortunately, stage 4 melanoma has a survival rate somewhere in the vicinity of getting hit by a train and then falling off a cliff.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Unfortunately, stage 4 melanoma has a survival rate somewhere in the vicinity of getting hit by a train and then falling off a cliff.
damn...prayers go out to his family...hope for a miracle.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post

It can happen. Doc gave my mom a year...9 years ago. All a matter of attitude. I think Johnson has the same attitude my mom does.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
My wife who knows a fair amount about all that med stuff says barring a miracle the man has about 6 months.

I hope he can beat it, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

I would give Andy Reid a better chance at loosing 150 lbs than this guy living 18 months.

Shame, the man is a good coach.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 AM   #9
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Shame lobo?

Sad sure, but nothing shameful there. Johnson has had 67 years, most of them likely good years. Got to be a coach in the NFL and is highly regarded as one of the brightest of his era.

I'll take a life like that any day of the week.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

That sucks. He's an NFL icon. He should commit fully to the treatment and let football be an afterthought for the year if necessary.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Shame lobo?

Sad sure, but nothing shameful there. Johnson has had 67 years, most of them likely good years. Got to be a coach in the NFL and is highly regarded as one of the brightest of his era.

I'll take a life like that any day of the week.
You go that route, I'll take Hefner's.

Deal?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You go that route, I'll take Hefner's.

Deal?
, well Hef's had a good one too but lots of people didnt get nearly as fortunate a life as Jim Johnson has had. Just saying.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
, well Hef's had a good one too but lots of people didnt get nearly as fortunate a life as Jim Johnson has had. Just saying.
True, but for guys like him, especially in situations like this or when nearing the end of their lives, I gotta wonder if they look back on all the time they spent involved with football and how many regrets they might have.

Then again, with the amount of time I spend here plus other football stuff, I really should just shut the **** up.