The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Report: Sharpe not expected to get HOF nod

Shannon Sharpe Doesn't Expect Hall of Fame Selection; He's Probably Right
by Michael David Smith

TAMPA, Fla. -- Shannon Sharpe retired after the 2003 season as the owner of three Super Bowl rings and of the NFL records for catches, yards and touchdowns by a tight end. But that may not be enough to get him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Sharpe said today that he's not expecting to be chosen when the Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors meets on Saturday. And based on the Hall of Fame voters I've spoken with this week in Tampa, he's probably right: Sharpe isn't very likely to be picked.

It seems that Sharpe is considered by many voters to be the kind of player who contributed to good teams for a long time, but didn't really change the game the way two other players on the ballot for the first time this year, Bruce Smith and Rod Woodson, did. Sharpe is one of those players who, in the view of some voters, pretty well defines what a "very good" but not "great" player looks like.

Still, it's going to be a close enough vote that I wouldn't totally rule Sharpe out. Smith and Woodson appear to be the only locks, and at least four players will be chosen. So Sharpe could be a surprise pick, especially if some of the voters can be swayed by the way he performed in big games.

My own feeling is that Sharpe, like Art Monk and Cris Carter, put up good enough receiving numbers and played well for a long enough period of time that he's probably going to get in eventually. It's just a question of whether the voters will let him behind the curtain the first year he's eligible, or whether he'll have to wait a few years. Sharpe is bracing himself for the wait.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/28/s...es-proba/#cont
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

He HAS to eventually get in....

He changed the position, much like Kellen Winslow did...he was too big for corners to take on and too fast for linebackers....its not a coincidence he was on good teams...he added a whole new element to the offense
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
by Michael David Smith

TAMPA, Fla. -- Shannon Sharpe retired after the 2003 season as the owner of three Super Bowl rings and of the NFL records for catches, yards and touchdowns by a tight end. But that may not be enough to get him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Sharpe said today that he's not expecting to be chosen when the Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors meets on Saturday. And based on the Hall of Fame voters I've spoken with this week in Tampa, he's probably right: Sharpe isn't very likely to be picked.

It seems that Sharpe is considered by many voters to be the kind of player who contributed to good teams for a long time, but didn't really change the game the way two other players on the ballot for the first time this year, Bruce Smith and Rod Woodson, did. Sharpe is one of those players who, in the view of some voters, pretty well defines what a "very good" but not "great" player looks like.

Still, it's going to be a close enough vote that I wouldn't totally rule Sharpe out. Smith and Woodson appear to be the only locks, and at least four players will be chosen. So Sharpe could be a surprise pick, especially if some of the voters can be swayed by the way he performed in big games.

My own feeling is that Sharpe, like Art Monk and Cris Carter, put up good enough receiving numbers and played well for a long enough period of time that he's probably going to get in eventually. It's just a question of whether the voters will let him behind the curtain the first year he's eligible, or whether he'll have to wait a few years. Sharpe is bracing himself for the wait.

Didn't change the game? What the hell?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Unbelievable. He went above and beyond in the TE position. The Broncos were merely good when he came to them. They became great with him and other players. No one player makes a great team. How pivotal was he in that AFCC game against Pitt? So I guess Tony Gonzalez will fail on his first ballot also. He was on a good team and they became worse.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

this is laughable!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

This guy is cherry picking Sharpes comments. Sharpe on all the radio shows this week has said he is going into it with no expectations. Its not that he thinks he isn't getting in its just that he isn't getting his hopes up.

The problem is the voters might lump him in as a WR, some have said that publicly, which may delay it.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Unreal.

Any time you leave the game as the #1 guy in history at your position in receptions, yards and TDs AND have 3 SB rings, you should be a shoe-in.

And, since they were the ones to bring up Art Monk, how about this for a comparison:

Art Monk:

16 seasons as a WR: 940 rec - 12,721 yards - 68 TDs

Sharpe:

Only 14 seasons as a TE: 815 rec - 10,060 yds - 62 TDs
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Would anyone really be surprised if an ex Bronco was snubbed at the HOF
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Just another case of them finding faults in Denver Players. First it was some crap about not playing on great teams, now that we have players coming up with the rings and the records, now he "did change the game". I am calling BS. Shannon did every thing that you would ask of someone. He deserves to be ASAP. Too bad we do not have a great presenter to plead his case.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I thought his years in Baltimore would get him in but it looks unlikely. Guys and gals it could be along time before another Bronco sniffs the HOF (assuming Sharpe has to wait).
Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

At this point, as long as the NFL has been around, if you break all the records at your position, you should get in the Hall of Fame. Period. Sure, they might get broken by someone else. But if you broke them, it means you were great in the perspective of history - a long history.

It bugs me when writers label someone this way. That's how this east coast bias sustains itself. Sharpe was a great receiving Tight End, and he was a hard enough worker to have made himself into a solid (if not great) blocking Tight End. And he left the game with all the significant records for Tight Ends. On top of that, he won three rings. What in the heck else do you have to do?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Just ridiculous.

I can't think of many players who had more of an impact on changing the role of a position than Sharpe.

Plus, at the time he retired, which is what counts, he led all TEs in every imaginable statistical category - including every existing TE in the Hall of Fame. Even if you see him as nothing more than an oversized WR, his stats are compelling.

Three super bowl rings with two different teams.

Plus, he's still in the NFL spotlight with his broadcasting connections.

If he's not a lock, then there really is a conspiracy.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Sharpe deserves to be in. If he has to wait over 5 years I will be pissed for him.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

He has the numbers and the rings to back it up.
People want to bring up his blocking, but although he wasn't a great blocker, he was decent.
TD didn't run for over 1500, 1700, and 2000 yards without a TE who could block at least some of the time.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
by Michael David Smith

So, not only can a player get penalized for playing on BAD teams (an not winning titles), but now players get knocked for playing on GOOD teams.

What's the conspiracy on Broncos players getting into the Hall? Frickin' ridiculous!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Didn't change the game? He revolutionized the position. More East Coast **** wad brain dead bs. **** the HOF.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah, this is complete crap. he finished his career as the most prolific ever at his position. He won 3 super bowls and, if you ask Elway, was probably his all time favorite target. Not to mention, he's a good quote.

What more does he need?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

He rewrote the record books for his position, how is that not changing the game?

If you apply that logic then Jerry Rice shouldn't get in, but that is clearly nonsense.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
So, not only can a player get penalized for playing on BAD teams (an not winning titles), but now players get knocked for playing on GOOD teams.

What's the conspiracy on Broncos players getting into the Hall? Frickin' ridiculous!!
They can vote every Steeler player from the 70's into the HOF, and nothing is said. When it is Denver's turn to get people in, now the rules change.

I can say that Bruce Smith was never the best player at his position, and never changed the game. Reggie White was better. Bruce Smith played on great Bills teams. Shannon was the best TE in the league most of his career, has the rings.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Had he had the same career playing for the Giants he'd be a unanimous pick.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
Would anyone really be surprised if an ex Bronco was snubbed at the HOF
Never! That couldn't happen to us, right?
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He rewrote the record books for his position, how is that not changing the game?

If you apply that logic then Jerry Rice shouldn't get in, but that is clearly nonsense.
Exactly.

I'm assuming this writer is using Winslow as his justification as to how Sharpe "didn't change the game." That's debatable.

What's not debatable is that Sharpe put up better career stats, played in a few SBs and was his team's only true receiving threat many seasons. Maybe that's because Winslow was always nursing some kind of leg injury.

Shapre must get in and he will get in. It's absolute insanity if he doesn't.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

I totally agree with you on this Popps!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Just another reason I will never go to Canton and visit the HOF. They need to rename it to Crock of Fame.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Exactly.

I'm assuming this writer is using Winslow as his justification as to how Sharpe "didn't change the game." That's debatable.

What's not debatable is that Sharpe put up better career stats, won a few SBs and was his team's only true receiving threat many seasons. Maybe that's because Winslow was always nursing some kind of leg injury.

Shapre must get in and he will get in. It's absolute insanity if he doesn't.
Fixed, but other than that, EXACTLY
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote