The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default McDaniels: DJ Williams will be a big part of the defense

Williams will be "a big part" of 2009 defense
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/29/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

If it's the Broncos' offseason, it must be time to wonder which linebacker position D.J. Williams is about to play.

"We're going to try and put every player in the best position that allows us to be as successful as we can," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. "Whatever combination that winds up being, obviously D.J. will be a big part in that. And we'll look forward to getting him out there and putting him in position to where he can be a really good football player."

Williams first has to get healthy. He recently underwent shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. He has begun light rehabilitation, although his arm will remain in a sling during his downtime.

At linebacker, Williams has played the weak side, strong side, middle and weak side again in the past five seasons. If the Broncos move to a 3-4 defense for the 2009 season, he could be considered for an inside linebacker position.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11577284
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I wonder how much tape they've looked at. If they've already broken down the season, this is good news. If not, this is smoke up the kilt.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I wonder how much tape they've looked at. If they've already broken down the season, this is good news. If not, this is smoke up the kilt.
Well, they're still not giving many hints on 4-3 vs 3-4. I reallllllllllllly think they'll put him at an OLB spot in either system, but I also think they're staying in a 4-3 for the season.

Regardless, it'd be great if they can put him in a position to be a good football player like he says.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Well, they're still not giving many hints on 4-3 vs 3-4. I reallllllllllllly think they'll put him at an OLB spot in either system, but I also think they're staying in a 4-3 for the season.

Regardless, it'd be great if they can put him in a position to be a good football player like he says.
He is a good football player. As long as he plays outside.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
He is a good football player. As long as he plays outside.
Maybe they can coach it out of him?

Who knows, all I know is I fall for the annual off-season DJ hype EVERY year, and I'm totally not doing it this year. I may NEED to make this my sig to remind myself.

Great defensive minds see his measurables, salivate, and then blooper music. Jim Bates you poor bastard.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

In a 3-4 he's got to play as the Weakside ILB surely? Pair him alongside a bulldozer type MIKE (I think we'll end up drafting Rey Rey, but if not I think Larsen may be well suited to that spot anyway) who can sift through blockers and be the primary run stuffer and he'll do well.

OLB in a 3-4 need to be much better at blitzing from the edge than DJ is. The WILB on the other hand needs to be able to play well in space, be good in zone coverage and occasionally blitz up the middle. These are things DJ is good at, and I think he's a lock for that spot if we go 3-4.

If we stay 4-3 he stays at WILB.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

DJ is a great player if you put him in the right position...if in a wrong position he looks very average. We'll see what they come up with, as I am starting to have a lot of confidence in this coaching staff.
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Maybe they can coach it out of him?

Who knows, all I know is I fall for the annual off-season DJ hype EVERY year, and I'm totally not doing it this year. I may NEED to make this my sig to remind myself.

Great defensive minds see his measurables, salivate, and then blooper music. Jim Bates you poor bastard.
Nolans a smart coach. He wont try to fit a square block into a round hole.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

McDaniels said he would stay home from the super bowl to watch tape with the other coaches. I think they are well into that process, so I don't think this is just empty talk.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

i cant do another off-season where the DJ Williams Hype Machine takes over my mindset....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Nolans a smart coach. He wont try to fit a square block into a round hole.
So was Jim Bates.

My superstitious side is hoping that if I don't buy into the DJ hype, it'll do a reverse whammy and he can finally hit that extremely high level his measurables, skill set, and Al Wilson say he can.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-broncos-best/

I'm beginning to agree with Rev that I think we'll be staying in the 4-3 for the most part this season. Nolan's system is pretty similar to it and I think it'd be hard to purge all of the personnel in just one offseason. I do think we could see elements of the 3-4 come into play as they did last year (just hopefully less sucky with a better DL). However, McDaniels keeps making reference to adapting his system to best fit his players - something he was known for in NE. I think at this point it might be in his best interest to stick with a 4-3, at least on running downs. But doing so while still acquiring 3-4 type, larger, DEs. Then on passing downs we could see some type of hybrid with Dumervil and/or Moss at the OLB spots along with DJ and/or Woodyard inside. Obviously I'm not sure what the personnel would be but considering Nolan's history in both alignments - and the fact his 3-4 in Baltimore was similar to a 4-3 anyhow - it might make for a more natural transition over the year.

Either way, this article does confirm a bit of what I've heard that McDaniels broke down tape of our players (prior to his interview which is one reason that he "blew away" the Broncos) and that he was very excited about DJ. With that, I've also heard he was excited about Woodyard and Larsen, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited by montrose; 01-29-2009 at 07:52 AM..
Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

I'm beginning to agree with Rev that I think we'll be staying in the 4-3 for the most part this season. Nolan's system is pretty similar to it and I think it'd be hard to purge all of the personnel in just one offseason. I do think we could see elements of the 3-4 come into play as they did last year (just hopefully less sucky with a better DL). However, McDaniels keeps making reference to adapting his system to best fit his players - something he was known for in NE. I think at this point it might be in his best interest to stick with a 4-3, at least on running downs. But doing so while still acquiring 3-4 type, larger, DEs. Then on passing downs we could see some type of hybrid with Dumervil and/or Moss at the OLB spots along with DJ and/or Woodyard inside. Obviously I'm not sure what the personnel would be but considering Nolan's history in both alignments - and the fact his 3-4 in Baltimore was similar to a 4-3 anyhow - it might make for a more natural transition over the year.
I'd just expect this year's Sam to suspisciously look more like a defensive end than a linebacker...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
socalorado
Ring of Famer

McDaniels vows flexibility to make Broncos best they can be

McDaniels vows flexibility to make Broncos best they can be

Three weeks into his new job with plenty of meetings already in the rearview mirror, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was ready to say Wednesday the Broncos will indeed use a 3-4 look on defense to repair some of the team's ills.

And a 4-3 . . . or anything else that might help the team emerge from a string of three consecutive seasons of being on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

"We're going to be versatile, and what does that mean? I don't know yet," McDaniels said. "That depends on a lot of factors. Our people, the people we're playing against, things that we don't have all the answers to yet. . . .

"Our answer in New England was always it's whatever is going to give us the best chance to win every week that's what we're going to do. It takes some time to get that certain point, we obviously can't start there, but we want to try to build a team that's flexible, versatile and can do a lot of things."

And that could include a 3-4 defense - three linemen, four linebackers - as well as plenty of other alignments in what he hopes eventually will be a robust, multifaceted playbook on both sides of the ball.

But with getting those answers in mind and his coaching staff in place at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex, McDaniels said he and the assistants have met extensively in recent days evaluating the current roster and getting the coaches up to speed.

"I had some familiarity with some of the men we now have here," McDaniels said. "But we're evaluating a lot of things and teaching a lot of things. (The) coaches come from a lot of different systems and backgrounds, all of them good teachers, not all of them familiar with the systems and the terms we're going to use. . . .

"(The) evaluation of the current roster is very important. What you need, what you don't need, what systems you're going to use, what you can do with certain guys. Ultimately, it will come together."

With the players still off and many scattered around the country at offseason homes or on vacation, McDaniels said the upcoming schedule might keep him from meeting with the entire team in a formal setting until early- to mid-March.

McDaniels said he has met with in person or talked by phone with virtually every player on the roster but the first team meeting wouldn't come until after the scouting combine, which begins Feb. 18 in Indianapolis.

Quarterback Jay Cutler, receiver Brandon Marshall and center Casey Wiegmann will travel to the Pro Bowl next week.

"So February is kind of a busy time . . . and I certainly don't want to have a team meeting and not have the team there," McDaniels said with a laugh.

McDaniels will not be at Super Bowl XLIII.

"I don't really have any desire to go unless we are playing," McDaniels said. "I hope to go back with the Broncos."

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
I'd just expect this year's Sam to suspisciously look more like a defensive end than a linebacker...
Who do you see playing that spot? Someone on the roster like Moss or Crowder or a new guy brought in?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

Either way, this article does confirm a bit of what I've heard that McDaniels broke down tape of our players (prior to his interview which is one reason that he "blew away" the Broncos) and that he was very excited about DJ. With that, I've also heard he was excited about Woodyard and Larsen, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
What do you mean you've heard he's excited about Woodyard and Larsen?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Quote:
Who do you see playing that spot? Someone on the roster like Moss or Crowder or a new guy brought in?
I wouldn't mind:

MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
What do you mean you've heard he's excited about Woodyard and Larsen?
I made this reference in another thread. I have three sources from the media (nothing too big and a few people here on the Mane know who they are) that feed me nuggets now and then. Nothing major but they're almost always right. Generally they tell me something and it's in the paper within a day or so - so it's not like I'm getting huge exclusive news or anything.

Anyhow, two of them told me McDaniels and his staff we're excited about DJ and Woodyard. The other mentioned those two and Larsen as well. So that's what I was referring to.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
I wouldn't mind:

who is that?? Yarborough??
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
DJ is a great player if you put him in the right position...if in a wrong position he looks very average. .

IMO, that means he's an above average player.

great players can play anywhere
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

it sucks that we've been moving him around so much....its really starting to take a toll on him
Old 01-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #22
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
who is that?? Yarborough??
Everette Brown
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #23
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Everette Brown would be a great pick!!

Pair him with WWIII, Larson, and DJ and we got a solid foursome. (rotation with others as well)
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #24
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

oh, thats who i meant...i think yarborough is the white guy

i wouldnt mind that pick
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Everette Brown
I have no clue why but everytime I read about him I think of Doc Brown from Back to the Future. Not sure why though.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote