The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
SpiritGuy
Rookie

Default Fitzgerald would restructure to help keep Boldin on team

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Larry Fitzgerald would look at restructuring his contract if it would help keep fellow Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin on the team.

Where's the ego? A humble NFL wide receiver will to take less money to help the team? Surely ye jest! Well this is no joke, and Mark Kriegel went inside the best feel-good story in football.

"Someone asked me a question if I would be willing to do something to help the team, and I said, 'No problem,' " Fitzgerald said Wednesday. "This opportunity right here to be playing deep in the postseason, this is an amazing feeling. I'll do whatever it takes to get back to this point going forward in my career."

The question came up as the Cardinals prepared for Sunday's Super Bowl matchup with Pittsburgh.

Fitzgerald and Boldin form arguably the best receiving tandem in the NFL. Fitzgerald caught 96 passes for 1,431 yards and 12 touchdowns in the regular season. Boldin, despite missing four games with injuries, caught 89 passes for 1,038 yards and 11 scores. Both players made the Pro Bowl.

Boldin said he appreciated Fitzgerald's offer.

"Fitz and I have been together for five years, and we've been through a lot together," Boldin said. "I think the relationship that we have, neither of us want to see broken up. There's mutual respect, not only as receivers but as friends, and we realize that we make each other's jobs easier."

Boldin said in training camp that he would never re-sign with Arizona and would like to be traded because he feels management lied to him by not following through on a promise for a new contract. His latest comments indicate his position had softened.

Fitzgerald signed a four-year, $40 million contract after the 2007 season, with $30 million guaranteed.

Boldin has two years left on the four-year, $22.75 million contract he signed after the 2005 season. The deal paid him about $4 million this season.

General manager Rod Graves said he hoped to reopen contract talks with Boldin's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, after the title game.

Found Here
SpiritGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

But sadly Boldin wouldn't if the tables were turned. Thats the difference between a class act and selfish b****.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Another reporter jumps the gun...

Regardless, if he was willing to take a paycut, that would be huge news but a restructure of his contract, while it would help the team, would actually get him another nice bonus.

-----

Asked about possibly restructuring his contract Wednesday, Larry Fitzgerald said, "I don't know where that came from."

Fitzgerald spoke to Rotoworld's Gregg Rosenthal among a media throng Wednesday morning and seemed perplexed by the story, but didn't exactly shoot it down. "Someone asked me if I'd be willing to do something to help the team and I said absolutely. ... This is an amazing feeling and I'll do anything I have to do to get back to this point." It sounds like Fitzgerald is open to the possibility, but he was just answering a question vaguely. Ultimately, his agent will have the biggest say in the matter and probably hopes Fitz will decline to discuss the matter more publicly.
boltaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

What a minute... Arent the Cards like 40 mill under the salary cap?

Fitzgerald wont need to restructure. So, this is all theory right now, unless Boldin gets an absurdly large pay raise. It would be interesting to see how much he would really structure when/if the rubber hit the road.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
enjolras
Ring of Famer

God I wish Fitzgerald was a Bronco. Every interview I've seen with him I am more impressed. He just oozes class and humility.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
He just oozes class and humility.
Hey, we've got the beast, we've got bmarsh!!!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Hey, we've got the beast, we've got bmarsh!!!
yea, damn him. wishing the chargers would double cover him and not let him get any receptions so eddie royal and stokely would be open all day. what POS.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
What a minute... Arent the Cards like 40 mill under the salary cap?

Fitzgerald wont need to restructure. So, this is all theory right now, unless Boldin gets an absurdly large pay raise. It would be interesting to see how much he would really structure when/if the rubber hit the road.
Boldin will not re-sign there no matter what they offer him. he wants out of Arizona, not only because of the contract dispute, but he wants to be the number 1 WR. in Arizona he will always be number 2.

I say Boldin is playing in Philidelphia next season(if McNabb and Reid are still there)
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
But sadly Boldin wouldn't if the tables were turned. Thats the difference between a class act and selfish b****.
Where did you get ANY of that from!?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Boldin will not re-sign there no matter what they offer him. he wants out of Arizona, not only because of the contract dispute, but he wants to be the number 1 WR. in Arizona he will always be number 2.

I say Boldin is playing in Philidelphia next season(if McNabb and Reid are still there)
So what does #2 mean there? When healthy he had more touches, more yards and more TDs than Larry this season.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #11
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

The real reason he wants out of AZ... Matt Leinart!

I hope he sticks in AZ b/c that team has been so poor for so long, they deserve to have a nice run.

If he goes anywhere though I would hope that he stays in the NFC and could see him staying in the NFC West! The Seahawks would love to take a future replacement for Walter Jones and with the Smiths, Monroe, and Oher all good bookends, they would have a great opportunity at getting their man this year. As of right now most project them drafting Crabtree due to their glaring weakness at WR. The Niners are another team that would likely throw big money his way.

T.O. on his way to the NY Giants? Say what you want about lockerroom cancer and all that good stuff. The guy shows up to practice, meetings, and plays like a 28 year old still. I would think Tom Coughlin could deal with the ego and he would easily be THE go-to receiver in NY. His days in Dallas are definitely numbered.

Hey Rev, have I told you lately?

You suck!

Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #12
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
you don't know that.....

Boldin was completely lied to by Cardinals management....he asked for a re-negotiation, they said no...he asked to be traded, they said no....then he went out and gave it 150% this year

a guy who is selfish wouldnt have come back from the injury he had so quickly...the guys face was SMASHED....and he was back in 2 weeks..

Boldin and selfish dont go in the same sentence
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Where did you get ANY of that from!?
Anyone who had a contract restructured only to turn around and ask for it again comes across selfish and me first to me. But thats from my viewpoint.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Fitz literally came up from the bottom and truely understands and appreiciates the position he is in and this unselfish act should be concidered by alot of aholes in the league that could give a rats ass about the team they play on. I wish the league has alot more guys like fitz in the league those are the guys you can call role models for our youngsters.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Also remember that just because there is room in the cap, that doesn't mean there is cash in the bank to pay it out. The cap is over-inflated right now and most owners don't have the money to use all their cap even if they wanted to.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Fitz came up from the bottom? His dad is a reporter in Minnesota so he was able to be around the likes of chris carter. So he learned how to be the best at what he does. That doesn't seem like the bottom unless I am not thinking on your terms.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Fitzgerald would restructure to help keep Boldin on team

i guess not
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I retract my statement about being classless in regards to Bolden. Upon further instrospection anyone who is unhappy yet puts it all on the field every day has to have some class.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Anyone who had a contract restructured only to turn around and ask for it again comes across selfish and me first to me. But thats from my viewpoint.
That's deceptive. A lot more went into it.

Boldin came first, and earned his extension while Larry was also performing at an epic level. Boldin deserved a raise so an extension was offered, however with it, Boldin and Rosenhaus knew Larry would be getting an extension too, and when that day came, they wanted to be in the same $ ballpark, and the Cardinals FO agreed to those terms.

This past season, they just didn't have the money because of retaining some key players like Dansby (who was tagged but will be extended before too long).

It's a completely over-blown and misunderstood situation and I'd say the odds are about 90% that Anquan will not only remain a Cardinal, but be compensated for his patience. Unless a team comes to the table with a GREAT offer sheet.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Thanks for the insight Rev, like I said I retract my statement!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #21
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
That's deceptive. A lot more went into it.

Boldin came first, and earned his extension while Larry was also performing at an epic level. Boldin deserved a raise so an extension was offered, however with it, Boldin and Rosenhaus knew Larry would be getting an extension too, and when that day came, they wanted to be in the same $ ballpark, and the Cardinals FO agreed to those terms.

This past season, they just didn't have the money because of retaining some key players like Dansby (who was tagged but will be extended before too long).

It's a completely over-blown and misunderstood situation and I'd say the odds are about 90% that Anquan will not only remain a Cardinal, but be compensated for his patience. Unless a team comes to the table with a GREAT offer sheet.
Rev, that's exactly how I thought it went down...

I think Boldin was pissed in the offseason because the Cardinals had the stance that they would defiintely NOT restructure until his contract expired...which was bogus because htey had a "gentleman's" agreeement about the scenario you talked about
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Atm, Kurt Warner's agent is a much bigger example of human excrement stacked into a designer suit than Drew Rosenhaus.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Rev, that's exactly how I thought it went down...

I think Boldin was pissed in the offseason because the Cardinals had the stance that they would defiintely NOT restructure until his contract expired...which was bogus because htey had a "gentleman's" agreeement about the scenario you talked about
It's a RARE case where it has less to do with the money and more about feeling appreciated. Such a gentle, sensitive boy.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #24
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
It's a RARE case where it has less to do with the money and more about feeling appreciated. Such a gentle, sensitive boy.

I've been following Boldin game by game for the last three years (fantasy reasons) and NEVER miss the opportunity to watch him play...

I'm not hating on Fitz but Boldin does a lot of the dirty work for this team...he's constantly taking hits, making blocks, running routes over the middle and until this year we rarely heard about him....its a shame that he is being portrayed as a crybaby because he was what I wanted out of Brandon Marshall

the thing is that with all the hype Fitz has been getting he's kinda been lost in the shuffle and the media might be affecting his ability to get a payday...i dont think the Cardinals truly appreciate what htey have in #81 but in the offseason someone in their front office will come to their senses and pay the man...

it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see Fitz make a hard lobby to the Cards to keep Quan because if anybody knows how much hard work he puts it, its his teammate
Old 01-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Anyone remember when Rod and Eddy were putting up = or > #'s than that?

< >/ *?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote