The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Default So this is what Ian Gold is up too nowadays

January 26, 2009
Ex-Wolverine Gold weighs in on Robinson hire
Chris Balas
Rivals.com College Football Senior Editor

Note: Gold retired from the NFL with some good years left in him with no regrets. He now spends his time traveling to promote his web site WhatAreKidsSaying.com encouraging children to write and share their feelings.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Former Michigan linebacker Ian Gold and new defensive coordinator Greg Robinson only crossed paths for a year in the NFL, but that was plenty of time for Gold to learn what made his first mentor tick.

Gold entered the NFL in 2000 as a brash rookie with a big contract, big ideas and even larger goals. Robinson, meanwhile, was in his sixth year as the Denver Broncos' defensive coordinator, having led the team to consecutive Super Bowl titles in 1997-98, the latter with a defense that thoroughly dominated throughout the playoffs.

Ex-Michigan linebacker Ian Gold, who excelled in the NFL, began his career with Greg Robinson.
Gold didn't learn until several days after the fact that Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez had hired Robinson as his defensive coordinator. When he found out, it brought back a flood of memories.

"He's a class act he really is," Gold said of his first NFL defensive coordinator. "I was young, wet behind the ears, and he was the first guy to really sit me down and say OK, this is the NFL. This is what we expect of you, this is the role we expect you to play, things of that nature. He was my first real leader I worked with one-on-one."

The two didn't always see eye-to-eye, Gold added with a laugh, attributing their "disagreements" mostly to his own youth and immaturity. But that was part of the growing process that helped mold an eight-year NFL career with the Broncos (with a one-year hiatus at Tampa Bay).

As his career progressed, Gold realized there were several things he'd have done differently.

"I was young, thought I knew everything," he said. "He was a seasoned veteran and a great leader, led the team to a Super Bowl and all that. But I had a strong personality. Having that, having to answer to someone I just want to play football. I don't want to have to do it exactly the way you want me to, don't want to conduct myself exactly the way you want me to, and that caused a little friction. The majority of it was my youth and my inexperience, my lack of wisdom."

Robinson was released at the end of the 2000 season but enjoyed continued success at many his other stops, including the University of Texas in 2004. He was neck deep in his defensive coordinator duties with the Kansas City Chiefs a year earlier when Gold suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament, a significant setback.

A few days later, Gold received a nice surprise a handwritten note from Robinson.

"I hadn't talked to him for a couple of years, but I get this letter from him just wishing me well. I thought, 'That's a class act,' " Gold said. "Here this guy is that I didn't necessarily see eye-to-eye with when he was here, but how classy of a guy is he to reach out to me when I was at my lowest? I'm thinking I could be done, my career could be over, and all of these things are flashing before your eyes. I definitely appreciated that."

Greg Robinson does not yell a lot. He expects his players to go out and perform at a high level.
Gold confirmed that much of what's been said about Robinson's demeanor and approach is true.

"He doesn't do a lot of cussing I don't believe I've ever heard him curse," Gold said. "He's a 'look, I tell you what to do you either get it done or you won't play, period' type of guy. That's exactly how it was. He didn't get upset a lot, yell and scream, get in your face, all of that. He just expects guys to go out and perform at a high level. If you do not perform at a high level, you will not mesh well with him.

"I would definitely say he's aggressive in his approach. He took me as a linebacker and put me on the edge, and I'm rushing off the edge. He's definitely aggressive. He likes to get after quarterbacks, likes to attack offenses. I thought he had a great scheme."

There's no doubt in Gold's mind that the Wolverines will be back sooner than later following a 3-9 season, and he expects Robinson will be a big reason why.

"You've got to crawl before you walk," he said. "I'm sure everyone around understands that. Let the head coach do his job and earn his keep.

"But in Greg he really got a first-class guy. Every day we'd come to work and everyone would be in sweats he'd be dressed in jeans and a nice collared shirt. He's a first-class, top-notch guy."
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

"Ex-Michigan linebacker Ian Gold, who excelled in the NFL......"

Sort of detracts from the credibility of the rest of the article, doesn't it?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I never liked Gold being brought back but he was a good Bronco. He for the most part hustled and I can't remember him ever getting into trouble.

I just don't like small football players unless they are really special.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
La Caspa Del Diablo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I just don't like small football players unless they are really special.
To add to that, solid 220-230 lb athletic ,will linebackers can be had in the late rounds. There's no reason to ever invest high into one unless they are really special.
La Caspa Del Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

For all we can complain about his on-field issues or some of the details about Gold that were released in Fastis' book, he was a really good guy in the community. Over at the D-Will Center, he's like a hero for all he's done there.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

meh, Why we resigned him and booted DJ to mike sure made SoCal mad, almost as mad as Jake when we drafted Mopey Jay.

We should bring him back as RDE in the 3-4.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Gold is a good guy. Good for him.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

i liked Gold a lot while he was here.

I hope that website does great things, good luck!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

damn it. this article makes me hate him less.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Caspa Del Diablo View Post
To add to that, solid 220-230 lb athletic ,will linebackers can be had in the late rounds. There's no reason to ever invest high into one unless they are really special.
yep round two players should all go to the probowl every year
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
hate wow .... I think you should just relax wow you hate broncos?

you people that hate people doing thier best are ****ed up people /./
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Gold was always very excitable on the field I bet he'll be a really good coach. I would take Robinson over Nolan any day.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Yeah, that Denver defense really lit it up that 2000 season.
I mean, they really got LIT UP that 2000 season.
Hard to believe the defense was worse in 2007 and 2008 than that year.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

He may not have excelled on the field but he was definitely a good guy. I always liked seeing him on the sidelines and how into the games he was. I also liked how he ditched the agents and handled his own business. He was a great role model in the community and it's carried over into his post-NFL career. Good for him.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
Don't worry, I think Kaylore said he was a ****ing a-hole.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

meh....he may be a good guy but he will always have a place in my heart for that pic of him flipping off Eddie Kennison.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote