The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default NFL: Brain Damage Acute

Not good. Brains of deceased NFL players show major damage. They start with the old Buff, Ted Johnson and his problems. Chilling info.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26...ins/index.html
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

can you imagine boxers ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm curious to see what the response will be from the NFL. If any.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well, concussions **** you up no matter who you are. I got a concussion hitting my head on concrete playing basketball and my math skills pretty much fell off the face of the Earth. There is a big to-do in the NFL about letting the players decide if they want to go back in... I think the NFL does a pretty good job of protecting its players, IMO, but yeah, sometimes they let their business override the player's health, or they let the player's intuition override his own health. Sometimes you just need a doctor to say no.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

That has been known for a while:

http://biac-aclc.ca/en/2008/11/21/he...tball-players/

Some guys from West Virginia have done post mortem studies on the brains of several former pro football players who all died prematurely. The damage they see in 40 and 50 year olds are equivalent to a normaly aged 80 and 90 year olds. They also see damage that is very similar to alzheimers disease, which leads to personality changes, memory loss, manic depression, all symptoms that have been seen in retired football players.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Well time to tell my son his NFL dreams are over.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
Sometimes you just need a doctor to say no.

Herein lies the issue. No Doctor really knows when its "safe" to go back into a game after a concussion. Given the relatively limited ability of the brain to regenerate it is in fact reasonable to assume that every head injury leads to some permanent loss of function - and that if the process is repeated often enough clinical impairment ensues.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Isn't this obvious? I mean, these guys are going through at least 10 car crash level collisions on a weekly basis, of course there's absurd damage.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Great article. Bottom line is they want to raise awareness not end football.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

We're going to have to start coaching out the helmet hit and replace it with the good, old fashioned shoulder pad drive and wrap up. Might not look as pretty on Sportscenter, but it has to be done.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We're going to have to start coaching out the helmet hit and replace it with the good, old fashioned shoulder pad drive and wrap up. Might not look as pretty on Sportscenter, but it has to be done.
Text book tackles lead with your face mask. Not nearly as damaging as a lowered head and spear, but it, and every other NFL hit at those freakish sizes and speeds, IS still head trauma, I'm sure.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Exactly, no amount of protection will eliminate basic physics. A body in motion stays in motion, etc. When they collide the brain ping pongs all over the cavity. Damage is a guarantee.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Well time to tell my son his NFL dreams are over.
no joy in living to 70 if you have regrets the whole time
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Exactly, no amount of protection will eliminate basic physics. A body in motion stays in motion, etc. When they collide the brain ping pongs all over the cavity. Damage is a guarantee.
Yessir.

If you're in a car collision, regardless of whether your head smacks the windshield or not, you're brain is going to get rattled up. Besides, the majority of these guys would be doing nothing notable with their lives without the game, so play on.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Yep I have seen the extreme end of the spectrum. A guy lost his engine failed to FLY the airplane, panicked, and nose dived into the ground about a half mile from the airport. When we arrived on scene there was a hole in the back of his head. His brains were in the rear of the airplane. Its the perfect example of Newtons law.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Someone said the other day why not eliminate shoulder pads and helmets at first I thought that was a ridiculous statement but the more I think about it the better I like the idea. Would reduce brain injury greatly.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Yep I have seen the extreme end of the spectrum. A guy lost his engine failed to FLY the airplane, panicked, and nose dived into the ground about a half mile from the airport. When we arrived on scene there was a hole in the back of his head. His brains were in the rear of the airplane. Its the perfect example of Newtons law.
yikes
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
never going to happen.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Someone said the other day why not eliminate shoulder pads and helmets at first I thought that was a ridiculous statement but the more I think about it the better I like the idea. Would reduce brain injury greatly.
you really think the game would still be as fun to watch? Do you really think something like that possible?

Maybe we should make boxing only allowed to hit below the neck? It would be safer.

Maybe we should make race car drivers only go 100 mph so it's safer.

Maybe big wave surfers shouldn't be allowed to go out and try to surf monster waves its dangerous.

Maybe motocross riders shouldn't be allowed to jump more then say 10 feet. More then that you crash alot.

Pro Bull Riding. Forget about it no way to make it safe we have to ban that.

Pretty soon all we will be left with is baseball and basketball. Oh wait no throwing ball over 60 and no jumping over 3 feet or you might get injured.

The best way to not get brain damage from football is to not play, or maybe play only a few yrs. It's the man who decides to play. It's not like a regular job we have to make safe.

Football will always be dangerous that's just how it is. No way they could say don't hit at all with helmet.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #20
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Ya what the hell was I thinking about, bring back the Christians & lions too that was the best spectator sport ever.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

this is honestly played up far too much. the padding and helmets today are far superior, not as many ridiculous cheap shots (though the few we do see we see replayed 100x so it seems like there are a ton) and a basic overall lower intensity played today. players who play today will be just fine, maybe some joint issues later in life, as compared to the guys everyone is talking about.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I saw an interview with Bears great Dan Hampton a few years ago. The guy can barely walk. He's got nothing left in his knees and was using canes to move around. He's still getting operations. When the interviewer asked him if he could go back and change things and not play football, Hampton said no way. He said he loved every minute of it and would do it all over again if he had the chance. So, there ya go.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Ya what the hell was I thinking about, bring back the Christians & lions too that was the best spectator sport ever.
2 people recently dies at Monster Truck and Tractor pulls. If it will make you feel like buying some seeds I will go along with banning those.

I mean who goes to a monster truck show? ............Besides Spider.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
this is honestly played up far too much. the padding and helmets today are far superior, not as many ridiculous cheap shots (though the few we do see we see replayed 100x so it seems like there are a ton) and a basic overall lower intensity played today. players who play today will be just fine, maybe some joint issues later in life, as compared to the guys everyone is talking about.
While the padding does help the issue lies in the antomy of the skull. The brain sits in a cabity surrounded by a layer of fluid. So it moves freely. When a jarring hit occurs that energy inside isn't disipated and the brain smacks the skull causing damage.

So while the padding helps keep the head protected the physics still becomes an issue.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
2 people recently dies at Monster Truck and Tractor pulls. If it will make you feel like buying some seeds I will go along with banning those.

I mean who goes to a monster truck show? ............Besides Spider.
I think anybody that pays for admission to these events should automatically get the blue pill.