The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler

Do your job.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Basketball Team Wins 100-0

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

The Covenant School is seeking a forfeit after defeating Dallas Academy 100-0.
"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=3852460

What a travesty. I would like to know what the hell the Covenant coach was thinking. There's no place for that kind of approach in amateur sports. In the pros, something like that won't ever happen, but if it did, at least it is between athletes that are getting paid to play and who do nothing but prepare for games. But even in the NBA teams that are up considerably in the 4th don't run a press defense and jack up 3s. I'm all for coaches putting the 2nd and 3rd string in and having them play hard (but relatively conservatively), but this is probably the most classless thing I've ever heard of a coach doing, even more classless than Belichick not shaking hands after the game or cussing out another teams medical staff for trying to tend to one of his players. Again, at least they are all professionals. Running it up on a severely undermatched team like this gives new meaning to the word "unprofessional."
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Totally true. I also read that the parents of the other team were cheering and rooting for their team to reach 100 points.

Also, the coach's reaction is completely BS. He said it just "happened" and refused to take any responsibility for running up the score and said that he felt bad about it.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
Totally true. I also read that the parents of the other team were cheering and rooting for their team to reach 100 points.

Also, the coach's reaction is completely BS. He said it just "happened" and refused to take any responsibility for running up the score and said that he felt bad about it.
Exactly. Doesn't the coach have any "benchwarmers" to put in the game? I don't buy it for a moment that the winning coach is sorry...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Something like this happened last week in Colorado; a girls team won 94-1. These girls are ruthless!

http://coloradoan.com/article/200901...TES01/90115010
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Eh, there are greater tragedies in life. If the other team couldn't score a single point, they should probably just stay off the court all together.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Here's a novel concept:

If you don't want a team to run the score up on you, how about you play some defense? And God forbid......hit a freaking shot or two yourself.

Or at the very least, put the goon in the game and start hacking the starters on the other team. You'll see the opposing coach go to the benchwarmers in no time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Eh, there are greater tragedies in life. If the other team couldn't score a single point, they should probably just stay off the court all together.

I normally agree . We shouldn't coddle people , if you lose you lose and you can't tell a person not to score .

BUT

The team they was playing was a school with a total of 20 students , 8 girls , for students with learning disabilities .
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Crushisback
Camp fodder

So what, big deal. They shouldn't compete if they suck that bad. The girls on the losing end learned a lesson that nobody else was willing to teach them. Nothing's easy or free, you have to earn it. That being said hopefully the winning girls get thier own taste of humiliation at some point. It's somthing everybody needs.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbileneBroncoFan View Post
Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=3852460
So it's not the players complaining, just their parents and the coach? Thank God we have a parent who took it upon herself to make a national story out of how her daughter's team got their ass kicked. They haven't won a game in four years, what was mom expecting this time around?

Kudos to the girls for sacking up and moving on, wish their parents would do the same. I guess the coach deserves no blame for having a team that can't score or play defense? It's the other team's fault for being "too good" compared to his?

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 01-23-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post

The team they was playing was a school with a total of 20 students , 8 girls , for students with learning disabilities .
Exactly why they shouldn't be on the court.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Gotta blame their AD for scheduling the game.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I normally agree . We shouldn't coddle people , if you lose you lose and you can't tell a person not to score .

BUT

If they're so damn disabled let them compete in the Special Olympics.

Sends the wrong message to everyone involved when you tell kids "we know you're way better than these other people, so don't try to hard. Its not polite to make them look bad". Screw that, try your best at everything you do, all the time. Otherwise you're cheating yourself and the person you're competing against. No need to start instilling a "good enough" mindset in students when the should be allowed to excel.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
The article said they had "learning differences," not disabilities. A short attention span (when the **** did that become a diagnosable disorder?) and dyslexia were the examples they listed.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The article said they had "learning differences," not disabilities. A short attention span (when the **** did that become a diagnosable disorder?) and dyslexia were the examples they listed.
That's a good point, I'm sure they've already moved on from this.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

unfortunately it is just a douchebag move, you can justify it how ever you like but that is not in the interest of good sportsmanship no matter how you slice it
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Gotta blame their AD for scheduling the game.
Exactly. There is something to be said for a team that couldn't score one lousy point in basketball.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

When I first heard the story I was looking to hear that the winning team cleared the bench early, or used the game to try new plays. I can understand that. Sometimes a team is just that much better and an ass kicking is in order. That's not really running up the score.

But from what I've heard and read they kept the starters in for most of the game and were trying to go for 100-0...against a team with athletes who may have learning disabilities. Are they serious What the hell is that?

I wanted to be able to defend them for it, but I don't see how anybody can.

I've seen a boat load of high school games. There was this one game were one boys team could have beaten the other team like that. In the rout, the coach played his third string for most of the game. The starters ran up the score in the first five minutes, then the second team ran up the score for five minutes, then the coach put in all the scrubs. If the scrubs run it up, well, there's not much you can do about that. But at least the coach had mercy by pulling the first and second teams. If he left them in it would have been much worse.

The coach of that girls team should be ashamed for doing that. I don't see how anybody can defend it knowing that the starters were kept in, they shot 3 pointers, and played press defense, against a team with girls with learning disabilities.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Good thing they didn't play a team with girls who had learning disabilities.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Our High school was on the other side of one of those. Sucks but it kind of feeds on itself. The kids play harder and harder to try and keep the shut out. As a coach you should not have your players let up. But you should certainly clear the bench.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

so.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I would of at least hit a jumper or a tip in by accident.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

My take:

First off, I don't care who you are, if you are really putting on a full-court press in a game like that, and keeping it on the entire game, you're a freaking a-hole. Period.

As for taking 3-pointers, I don't have a problem with that. Pass the ball around the perimeter a few times, take a long shot. Don't take it to the hoop, etc. I've been in a couple games where everybody was to stay outside the 3-point line, kill some clock, etc.

But yeah, that coach sounds like a jerk. Should the two school have been playing? Probably not. But this is girl's high school basketball, not college. I'm not big on b****ing after losses, or complaining because a team is too good, but this is just bush league.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
There is only 20 students in the school and they have learning disabilities. Yeah, they should just stay off the court after all winning is everything.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #24
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

The team that won should have backed off. However, doesn't the coach/school of the team that lost have a responsibility to make sure the team is playing at an appropriate level? If the school can't field a competitive squad, then they shouldn't be playing in the same league. Try a rec league or something.

I don't mean to sound too harsh but the politically correct theories that "everyone is the same", or "you're all winners" simply isn't true. Sadly, a whole generation that's been babied is going to realize this as they deal with a depressed job market during a recession. Competition for jobs is already intense and will probably only increase. Will the politically correct generation of the past 20 years be able to deal with it? We'll see.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsco70 View Post
The team that won should have backed off. However, doesn't the coach/school of the team that lost have a responsibility to make sure the team is playing at an appropriate level? If the school can't field a competitive squad, then they shouldn't be playing in the same league. Try a rec league or something.

I don't mean to sound too harsh but the politically correct theories that "everyone is the same", or "you're all winners" simply isn't true. Sadly, a whole generation that's been babied is going to realize this as they deal with a depressed job market during a recession. Competition for jobs is already intense and will probably only increase. Will the politically correct generation of the past 20 years be able to deal with it? We'll see.
I agree with most of what you said, but what are most kids in sports for if its not to learn how to compete with class? There is plenty of time to learn about the rat race, kids in sports should be learning how to compete and how to be better human beings.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote