The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Nose Tackle

Is anybody worried that if me try to make a switch to a 3-4 we won't find a quality nose tackle either in the draft or free agency. I know that everybody is saying BJ Rajii but what if green bay picks him up.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
BroncoFiend
Ring of Famer

The enemy's gate is down

Oh boy, you're in for it.
BroncoFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Alabama or Penn State got to have a good nose tackle. Not sure if they have any seniors, but those will be the schools I'll be looking at for some quality defense linemen, or nose guard...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Ahhhhh....

Yep
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Mt. Cody in 2010

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
Cody has been an absolute monster this season for the surprising Crimson Tide, who are 7-0 at the moment and ranked No. 2 in the nation. The star defensive lineman is already known in Tuscaloosa as "Mount" Cody. Any why not? He stands at 6'5'' and 370 pounds, so of course he is a huge space eater in the middle of the defensive line. Cody is only in his first year at Alabama, having played in 2007 at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he recorded 31 tackles and 3.5 sacks to help his team post an 11-0 regular season record. He does not, therefore, have a ton of experience and a recent injury will hinder progress in that department. Cody is out with a sprained MCL and will miss at least two games, possibly more (in which case the Tide's clash with LSU could be in jeopardy for the big man). That's a minor drawback to his NFL stock, and 5.5 speed in the 40-yard-dash could be another deterrent. Then again, that can only be expected for a player of his size; and in fairness to Cody, he is actually quite agile and his lateral movement makes him a beast against the run. He has first-round potential for the 2009 draft, but one more season in Tuscaloosa--especially if this injury costs him precious time--could be a good idea.

Last Updated Oct-23-2008 by Ricky Dimon

Last edited by watermock; 01-22-2009 at 07:08 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Brace would be a viable option in round 2. If the Broncos run a 3-4 D and just want a nose tackle to take up space and stop the run, Brace will do and has good value with our second pick in the draft.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier-Ace55 View Post
Is anybody worried that if me try to make a switch to a 3-4 we won't find a quality nose tackle either in the draft or free agency. I know that everybody is saying BJ Rajii but what if green bay picks him up.
If that happen you shift to Rajii's team mate at BC Ron Brace. Or Denver goes the FA route - Watson (AR), Fields (SF) or something fattie

Last edited by elsid13; 01-22-2009 at 07:14 PM..
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I prefer Raji, but like Ziggy said, there's also Ron Brace ... oddly enough he's Raji's teammate at Boston College.

He's a 2nd or 3rd round guy, so we could use the #12 pick on a LB.

Here's the Brace capsule, which long story-short ends "Two-gapper with the potential to be a top 3-4 nose tackle."

And I for one really wanna see what our own Carlton Powell can do in the 3-4. I realize that at 305 pounds he's small for a classic 2-gap NT, but he's just a kid - he could pack on 20+ pounds in the next couple years. The book on Powell in the draft last year made him sound like a NT ... both Powell individually and Va Tech as a team led the nation in rush avg against, so he rag-dolled many an ACC guard while there. I dunno how they figure that stat for an individual player, but it's impressive any way you slice it.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Mt. Cody in 2010

person
Cody has been an absolute monster this season for the surprising Crimson Tide, who are 7-0 at the moment and ranked No. 2 in the nation. The star defensive lineman is already known in Tuscaloosa as "Mount" Cody. Any why not? He stands at 6'5'' and 370 pounds, so of course he is a huge space eater in the middle of the defensive line. Cody is only in his first year at Alabama, having played in 2007 at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he recorded 31 tackles and 3.5 sacks to help his team post an 11-0 regular season record. He does not, therefore, have a ton of experience and a recent injury will hinder progress in that department. Cody is out with a sprained MCL and will miss at least two games, possibly more (in which case the Tide's clash with LSU could be in jeopardy for the big man). That's a minor drawback to his NFL stock, and 5.5 speed in the 40-yard-dash could be another deterrent. Then again, that can only be expected for a player of his size; and in fairness to Cody, he is actually quite agile and his lateral movement makes him a beast against the run. He has first-round potential for the 2009 draft, but one more season in Tuscaloosa--especially if this injury costs him precious time--could be a good idea.

so with that at best the soonest we field a good 3-4 defense will be in 2012
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I prefer Raji, but like Ziggy said, there's also Ron Brace ... oddly enough he's Raji's teammate at Boston College.

He's a 2nd or 3rd round guy, so we could use the #12 pick on a LB.

Here's the Brace capsule, which long story-short ends "Two-gapper with the potential to be a top 3-4 nose tackle."

And I for one really wanna see what our own Carlton Powell can do in the 3-4. I realize that at 305 pounds he's small for a classic 2-gap NT, but he's just a kid - he could pack on 20+ pounds in the next couple years. The book on Powell in the draft last year made him sound like a NT ... both Powell individually and Va Tech as a team led the nation in rush avg against, so he rag-dolled many an ACC guard while there. I dunno how they figure that stat for an individual player, but it's impressive any way you slice it.
What about at an end spot?
I hear Nolan likes to rush the passer with his backers, and uses his linemen for 2 gap responsibilities.
Sounds like that is right up Powell's alley...
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
What about at an end spot?
I hear Nolan likes to rush the passer with his backers, and uses his linemen for 2 gap responsibilities.
Sounds like that is right up Powell's alley...

Powell was a low round pick and will be playing his rookie season two years removed from the last year he played football. Im not saying he's going to fail or even that he wont be great but that its a little foolish for someone in that situation to pull through for you.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier-Ace55 View Post
Why limit your worries about the DL to just that. I'm worried about every single aspect of the DL regardless what defensive alignment we adopt.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Powell was a low round pick and will be playing his rookie season two years removed from the last year he played football. Im not saying he's going to fail or even that he wont be great but that its a little foolish for someone in that situation to pull through for you.
Nobody's talking about starting the man in a new 3-4 alignment ....

Besides, Peyton Hillis and Josh Barrett were lower picks, and WW wasn't even drafted. So there.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Nobody's talking about starting the man in a new 3-4 alignment ....

Besides, Peyton Hillis and Josh Barrett were lower picks, and WW wasn't even drafted. So there.
Trust me. Id like to see Powell do well.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Trust me. Id like to see Powell do well.
Are you following me around this site?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Are you following me around this site?
...No...What?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I'm not as high on Raji as some, particularly if we're planning on moving to the 3-4. Raji is more of a penetrating/attacking DT than he is a player who can stand at the point and hold a double team. I think he would be frustrated and not as effective as a true NT.

I also would rather see us take an LB in the 1st because we'll see a more immediate impact from an LB than we will a DT, and lord knows this defense needs immediate impact. I also think that Brace may be a better fit as a true NT at the next level.

I would look for a Rey Maualuga/Ron Brace combo with the first two picks.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
Why limit your worries about the DL to just that. I'm worried about every single aspect of the DL regardless what defensive alignment we adopt.
I am as well however we need to first know what we are running that's some of the source of our problems changing up our scheme every year. Next we need personell that can run in that scheme. All I'm saying is if we run a 3-4 we have to have stout NT first and foremost then we need some stout physical line backers. The 5 technique ends i'm not as concerned about.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
so with that at best the soonest we field a good 3-4 defense will be in 2012
Huh? Why do you chalk up the fact that it would take 4 drafts and FA cycles, and 3 seasons for Cody individually to produce a solid 3-4 defense?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I'm not as high on Raji as some, particularly if we're planning on moving to the 3-4. Raji is more of a penetrating/attacking DT than he is a player who can stand at the point and hold a double team. I think he would be frustrated and not as effective as a true NT.
In Raji's defense, he did face a significant number of double teams this season. He was the one guy opposing offensive coordinators were game-planning against and designing protection schemes against and he was still making plays in the backfield. A nose tackle that can make plays in the backfield is just as valuable, if not moreso, than a guy that simply keeps the linebackers clean.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You can find decent NT depth later in the draft. Its usually you see the UT that are taken high.. IE Ngata
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #22
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

a NT is going to need developed. Taking one in the 1st, unless he's a blue chip... IMO isn't worth it.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
You can find decent NT depth later in the draft. Its usually you see the UT that are taken high.. IE Ngata
Ngata plays nose for the Ravens in their 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

Its just that Ngata can be used to stuff the center gaps like an NT when needed and switch to rushing the passer the next down in a 4-3 front without missing a beat.

Raji is that kind of guy, but we'd be stupid to pay full price if we're only going to use half the skill set.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Ngata plays nose for the Ravens in their 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

Its just that Ngata can be used to stuff the center gaps like an NT when needed and switch to rushing the passer the next down in a 4-3 front without missing a beat.

Raji is that kind of guy, but we'd be stupid to pay full price if we're only going to use half the skill set.
Brace in the 2nd
Dorrell Scott in the 3rd
Are a couple options
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #25
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Mt. Cody in 2010

person

I believe it was Cody who holds the record for largest baby ever born in Alabama; He was 15 pounds. His doctor calls his mother every year on his birthday to check up on him and tell her she still holds the record.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote