The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Senior Bowl Analysis Anyone?

OK, so we saw the practices all week, then the game. What are your final impressions?

There were a few guys we didn't get to see, but I came away with the thought that there is no player worth trading up for in this year's draft.

Raji may have dominated in practice, and he may dominate as he gets used to the NFL, but right now, in that game, I didn't see any domination. Same with Brace. They both look really good, and they will probably be very good NFl contributors, but neither one of them even looks as good as Glen Dorsey did at this time last year. They both got pushed around most of the game (albeit they were double teamed).

Rey looked like he could be a good ILB, but he got blocked out of quite a few plays and wasn't that great in coverage.

I'd be happy taking our best shot at #12, but I would be just as happy trading back and picking up another second rounder so we could take care of DT, LB, and S with first day talent.

If anyone made a jump, it might be a couple running backs that shot themselves up into the second or third round with their performances yesterday.

Any thoughts on the "senior bowl" performances?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought Raji was playing more like a one-gapper and was being shepherded out of the play by some very capable interior Olinemen. We should seriously get at least on of the centers this year. Luigs, Caldwell, and especially Wood were all very impressive. I thought Brace was more consistent and it also seemed like he was playing more like a two gap guy from what I noticed. It seemed he was more intent on controlling his guy.

Lankster was kind of a surprise. He had a pick and a very nice play in run support.

Of the RBs, Davis was the least impressive. My sleeper (see the sleeper thread in the draft forum) was probably the most impressive RB. I also thought Johnson was the next best RB.

Patrick Chung made a lot of plays but his best one was near the goal line where he shed Quinn Johnsons block to make the stop with some help from McKillop.

Maualuga had a couple of spectacular plays but true to form, also missed badly a time or two.

The QBs were awful. I actually thought that White was the most impressive QB.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

I don't think you can judge much on the defensive line side of things based on what we saw last night. The game is slanted very heavily towards the offensive side of the ball due to lack of prep time overall. With no blitzing and a minimum of stunting, it should come as no suprise that the South's O-line had a pretty effective time against the North's D front. I was impressed with the hustle and intensity that both Brace and Raji showed last night. There were several plays that were run away from them where they both continued to persue and helped make takles downfield. I know that it is about the point of attack, but all in all I thought they both played pretty well.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Hard to project them into the different schemes and stunts in the NFL. That's why I am not a coach in the NFL, and why I am not a GM picking talent at the draft.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I really liked McKillop. He might be small and slower, but the guy has amazing instincts and seemed to be on virtually every tackle. When are they projecting him to go?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Maualuga = Overated

Raji = Great fit in a attacking 4-3 style defense. He won't play well in a 3-4.

Stars of the game in my opinion were Andre Brown, Jerimiah Johnson (elsid, did you call that one, he had a good game, great burst), Michael Oher, Levitre, Eric Wood (good call SOCAL), and a few of the DB's look good... Langster and Chung.

I still thought Clay Mathews and William Moore looked very fluid in action and i'm highly interested in them. I know Moore is sliding but you can't teach his size and athleticism. I wouldn't take him in the first and 2nd is doubtful. If he's there in the 3rd, we'll see. Michael Wallace was another player in this game who helped his stock.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

The game is worthless in evaluating the players, they have no time to prepare the playbook, many play out of position and with the rules limiting the play the way it does it is simply impossible to determine who will play will on the next level.

If you want to see the players in action you have to go back and look at game tape from their senior season.

I think we learned a couple of things, Maualuga is definitely best suited to being a 3-4 ILB, he blitzes fairly well and he can really plug up the line. He is not made to cover downfield and will be exposed if asked to drop back or man up on a back or tight end.

Raji was asked to play aggressively, and with no blitzing it is easier for the offensive linemen to double up on the defensive line and control the trenches. I think he will do well in a 3-4 front where he will either force the double team or be able to disrupt the play.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Maualuga = Overated

Stars of the game in my opinion were Andre Brown, Jerimiah Johnson (elsid, did you call that one, he had a good game, great burst), Michael Oher, Levitre, Eric Wood (good call SOCAL), and a few of the DB's look good... Langster and Chung.

I still thought Clay Mathews and William Moore looked very fluid in action and i'm highly interested in them. I know Moore is sliding but you can't teach his size and athleticism. I wouldn't take him in the first and 2nd is doubtful. If he's there in the 3rd, we'll see. Michael Wallace was another player in this game who helped his stock.
The more I see of Andre Brown, the more impressed I am.

He looked good yesterday. Injuries derailed him from reaching his potential in college and will hold him back from getting drafted in a round that is equivalent to his potential and talent.

He is worth a look in the middle rounds of the draft for sure.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
The more I see of Andre Brown, the more impressed I am.

He looked good yesterday. Injuries derailed him from reaching his potential in college and will hold him back from getting drafted in a round that is equivalent to his potential and talent.

He is worth a look in the middle rounds of the draft for sure.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...light=sleepers
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think you can learn a ton about these guys in practice and in the all-star game. Should a personnel guy base all the info on this game? No. But in a case like Graham Harrell, you are stripping down the system and pretty much seeing how a prospect is functionally. Can they run, tackle, catch, block? Without all the extra crap thrown in, this is basic football and you get to see who can actually do what before a system covers up flaws.

I had been pretty high on Fili Moala but he got handled in this game by Adam Levitre from Oregon State. Seriously, Levitre put on a clinic of how to own a 6'5", 300lb DT. Same could be said about Wood from Louisville on Raji. They were man up blocking these guys and they did an excellent job and for it, their stock should and will go up.

All-star games are a good thing. Get back to basics and play against relatively the highest form of competition allowed.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Maualuga = Overated

He wasn't the only one! I've watched him all year and with 4 years of starting experience, I've been wanting him in Denver.
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I know there were a bunch of people hyping him. Good job. He looked great.