The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default My mock v1.0

With 7 RB's coming back from injury, I'm not as worried as some...especially with Turner coming back to coach them. So I'm focusing on the defense.

No trades...pointless and impossible to predict. In FA Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, and Safety help would be targeted obviously but I'm not counting on any big time signings.

12. BJ Raji - DT 6'1" 325lbs.
Our ideal NT would be a huge first step in switching to 3-4

Raji is a big, physical lineman who commands a lot of attention. He's a good athlete who has a solid burst off the line, plays with leverage, and bull rushes opponents up the field. He has a quick first step, immediately penetrates upfield and makes plays in the backfield. He displays great strength and has an advantage against the opposition with his initial push. He gets off blocks very well and handles double teams. -Scout.com
Alternate: Everett Brown - DE/LB 6'4" 250lbs
21.5 TFL and 13.5 Sacks in '08. A freakish athlete at OLB in the 3-4, the next Merriman?

Brown is an athletic, dynamic rush end who plays with a high motor and has tremendous quickness. He has an elite first step and a few signature moves that allow him to get up field. He's incredibly strong, featuring a 480-pound bench press, and uses quickness and strength to his advantage. He uses his hands effectively, demonstrates good balance and coordination, and transitions well with the action -Scout.com
44. Alphonso Smith - CB 5'9" 190lbs (4.45s)
Playmaker at corner with 15 INT's over the last two years, height causes him to drop a few spots. Possible return man as well.

Smith is an undersized, but productive cornerback who is an outstanding playmaker. He displays good route recognition and is a determined defender. He’s effective facing the action, locates the ball quickly and possesses excellent closing speed and ball skills that allow him to turn defense into offense. He is a very instinctive defender who has a great sense. -Scout.com
76. Clay Matthews - LB 6'3" 240lbs
Badass LB with incredible motor and instincts. Could play inside in 3-4 or outside in 4-3. Falls because he lacks starting experience.

Strengths:
Active with a non-stop motor...Great strength...Excellent pass rusher and blitzer...Super intense and competitive...Very tough...Extremely versatile...Good range and flies around the field...Solid instincts...Does a fantastic job in pursuit...Outstanding special teamer...Has a knack for making impact plays...Smart with a great football IQ...Has an incomparable work ethic ... Still has upside ... Phenomenal bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
'Tweener who may not have a true position...Isn't a great natural athlete...Average size and speed...Can be too aggressive at times...Stiff and lacks fluid hips...Will struggle to match up in coverage...Poor hands and ball skills...Minor durability concerns...Doesn't have a lot of starting experience ... A self-made player and a bit of an overachiever.
-draftcountdown.com

S, OL, and RB would be focus of rounds 4-7 but I haven't gotten there...thoughts so far?

Last edited by chaz; 01-21-2009 at 11:14 AM..
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I like it so far.

Matthews may be our 2nd round pick tho, he is going up boards quickly and I dont want to miss the chance on him.

So 3rd round we could go CB or Safety..
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I can't complain with Raji, and I really like Matthews. I'm on the anti-CB bandwagon though. Let's build front to back, maybe mixing in a Safety. We're already over-invested at CB.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

We draft at number 48 and 79, not 44 and 77.

I am fairly certain Alphonso Smith will be gone before we get on the board in the 2nd round and I am 100% sure that Clay Matthews will be gone by the 3rd round. He is shooting up fast and he should work out well.

I do like the players though.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
We draft at number 48 and 79, not 44 and 77.
Please explain? We don't stick with 12th pick in each round? Some rotation with teams with same records?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Here's mine. I went with the idea that in FA, we wouldn't target any huge names, but would try to get depth/possible starters in areas of weakness. Maybe it sucks, but, eh.

1 BJ Raji
2 Evander Hood
3 Rashad Johnson
4 Antoine Caldwell
5a Shawn Nelson
5b Worrell Williams
6 Tom Brandstater
7a Will Davis
7b PJ Hill

RDE Evander Hood; Kenny Peterson
DT BJ Raji; Dewayne Robertson
LDE Marcus Thomas; Nic Clemons
JACK Elvis Dumervil; Jarvis Moss
WILL DJ Williams; Wesley Woodyard
MIKE Worrell Williams; Spencer Larsen
SAM Tim Crowder; Will Davis
CB Champ Bailey; Josh Bell
SS Josh Barrett; Marquand Manuel
FS Rashad Johnson; Vernon Fox
CB Dre Bly; Jack Williams
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Please explain? We don't stick with 12th pick in each round? Some rotation with teams with same records?
No you rotate with the other 8-8 teams. Due to our opponents winning% (or lack there of) we pick first of the 8-8 teams and rotate down to the back of the pack in the following round.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Here's mine. I went with the idea that in FA, we wouldn't target any huge names, but would try to get depth/possible starters in areas of weakness. Maybe it sucks, but, eh.

1 BJ Raji
2 Evander Hood
3 Rashad Johnson
4 Antoine Caldwell
5a Shawn Nelson
5b Worrell Williams
6 Tom Brandstater
7a Will Davis
7b PJ Hill

DT BJ Raji; Dewayne Robertson
JACK Elvis Dumervil; Jarvis Moss
MIKE Worrell Williams; Spencer Larsen
SAM Tim Crowder; Will Davis
SS Josh Barrett; Marquand Manuel
FS Rashad Johnson; Vernon Fox
I really hope we don't have the starting safties you have here. I think we need to get a vetran free-agent in for that position, and also would like to get some OLB/DE help as well. I think Raji will be a great addition and be that NT we need to run the 3-4 effectively.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
I really hope we don't have the starting safties you have here. I think we need to get a vetran free-agent in for that position, and also would like to get some OLB/DE help as well. I think Raji will be a great addition and be that NT we need to run the 3-4 effectively.
Yeah, this is ignoring FA. If the draft played out like this, I would hope that a lot of FA attention would be used for S and OLB. I would love to get Atogwe, but I'm not sure the Rams will let him go. Really though, almost any FA safety would be an upgrade.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I am almost positive that Denver will draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Depending on F/A and trades.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
especially considering how badly Josh Barrett played when giving the chance.

He looked to me like someone who didn't know how to play the position. He's raw and from what I saw it will be a long while before he's ready to start.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Alright, here's mine again, with FA and a few changes.

FA:
Jermaine Phillips
Oshiomogho Atogwe (I hope)
Gabe Watson
Channing Crowder

1 BJ Raji
2 Evander Hood
3 Cody Brown
4 Antoine Caldwell
5a Shawn Nelson
5b Worrell Williams
6 Tom Brandstater
7a Will Davis
7b PJ Hill

DT BJ Raji; Gabe Watson
JACK Cody Brown; Elvis Dumervil
MIKE Channing Crowder; Worrell Williams
SAM Jarvis Moss; Will Davis
SS Jermaine Phillips; Josh Barrett
FS Oshiomogho Atogwe; Vernon Fox

Last edited by MagicHef; 01-21-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
With 7 RB's coming back from injury, I'm not as worried as some...especially with Turner coming back to coach them. So I'm focusing on the defense.

No trades...pointless and impossible to predict. In FA Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, and Safety help would be targeted obviously but I'm not counting on any big time signings.

12. BJ Raji - DT 6'1" 325lbs.
Our ideal NT would be a huge first step in switching to 3-4

Raji is a big, physical lineman who commands a lot of attention. He's a good athlete who has a solid burst off the line, plays with leverage, and bull rushes opponents up the field. He has a quick first step, immediately penetrates upfield and makes plays in the backfield. He displays great strength and has an advantage against the opposition with his initial push. He gets off blocks very well and handles double teams. -Scout.com
Alternate: Everett Brown - DE/LB 6'4" 250lbs
21.5 TFL and 13.5 Sacks in '08. A freakish athlete at OLB in the 3-4, the next Merriman?

Brown is an athletic, dynamic rush end who plays with a high motor and has tremendous quickness. He has an elite first step and a few signature moves that allow him to get up field. He's incredibly strong, featuring a 480-pound bench press, and uses quickness and strength to his advantage. He uses his hands effectively, demonstrates good balance and coordination, and transitions well with the action -Scout.com
44. Alphonso Smith - CB 5'9" 190lbs (4.45s)
Playmaker at corner with 15 INT's over the last two years, height causes him to drop a few spots. Possible return man as well.

Smith is an undersized, but productive cornerback who is an outstanding playmaker. He displays good route recognition and is a determined defender. He’s effective facing the action, locates the ball quickly and possesses excellent closing speed and ball skills that allow him to turn defense into offense. He is a very instinctive defender who has a great sense. -Scout.com
76. Clay Matthews - LB 6'3" 240lbs
Badass LB with incredible motor and instincts. Could play inside in 3-4 or outside in 4-3. Falls because he lacks starting experience.

Strengths:
Active with a non-stop motor...Great strength...Excellent pass rusher and blitzer...Super intense and competitive...Very tough...Extremely versatile...Good range and flies around the field...Solid instincts...Does a fantastic job in pursuit...Outstanding special teamer...Has a knack for making impact plays...Smart with a great football IQ...Has an incomparable work ethic ... Still has upside ... Phenomenal bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
'Tweener who may not have a true position...Isn't a great natural athlete...Average size and speed...Can be too aggressive at times...Stiff and lacks fluid hips...Will struggle to match up in coverage...Poor hands and ball skills...Minor durability concerns...Doesn't have a lot of starting experience ... A self-made player and a bit of an overachiever.
-draftcountdown.com

S, OL, and RB would be focus of rounds 4-7 but I haven't gotten there...thoughts so far?
ALPhonso Smith is my favorite player in the draft but the Broncos have a ton of needs beside corner. If Alphonso drops to the second round ,I would be O.K. with drafting him . Everrett Brown is # 1 on my draft list then Raji. Mathews would also be a good pick in the 3 round. Really good first 3 rounds.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hmm... I might like this a little better:

FA:
Jermaine Phillips
Gabe Watson
Channing Crowder

1 Everette Brown (unless Curry falls to us)
2 Evander Hood
3 Ron Brace
4 Antoine Caldwell
5a Shawn Nelson
5b Worrell Williams
6 Tom Brandstater
7a Will Davis
7b PJ Hill

DT Ron Brace; Gabe Watson
JACK Everette Brown; Elvis Dumervil
SAM Jarvis Moss; Will Davis; Tim Crowder
CB Dre Bly; Jack Williams[/QUOTE]
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Hmm... I might like this a little better:

FA:
Jermaine Phillips
Gabe Watson
Channing Crowder

1 Everette Brown (unless Curry falls to us)
2 Evander Hood
3 Ron Brace
4 Antoine Caldwell
5a Shawn Nelson
5b Worrell Williams
6 Tom Brandstater
7a Will Davis
7b PJ Hill

DT Ron Brace; Gabe Watson
JACK Everette Brown; Elvis Dumervil
SAM Jarvis Moss; Will Davis; Tim Crowder
[/QUOTE]

If the Broncos could get Brown,Hood and Brace plus sign Crowder and Atogwe then I would be happy. I don't Caldwell or Nelson will make it out of 3 round. I only think the Broncos can sign 2 free agents so that leaves Phillips out.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: