The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default What Denver Needs to have happen

1 Detroit Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
2 St Louis Michael Oher OT Mississippi
3 Kansas City Stafford QB
4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WRF Texas Tech
5 Cleveland Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
6 Cincinnati Andre Smith OT Alabama
7 Oakland Brian Orakpo DE43 Texas
8 Jacksonville Jason Smith OT Baylor
9 Green Bay BJ Raji DT43 Boston College
10 San Francisco Mark Sanchez QB
11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St
12 Denver Pick OF LB's
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I am really liking Raji, a little more than LB right now.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Big Bj Raji
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
Not more than Curry. No Way. Curry is a slam dunk. immediate upgrade, and a player that can play at a high level at any LB position no matter what defense DEN runs.
He would play, and dominate day one.
If Curry was there he would easily justify taking a DT/NT in the 2nd or 3rd.

Curry is a no brainer. But i dont see him making it to #12. I just dont see CLE letting him get by.
On a side note, Andra Davis is a UFA this year. Interesting.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

See, even Butkis knows who the man is..
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I like Ziggy Hood more than Raji.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

. I love Curry too, but I think that Raji might be a bigger help to us. I would of loved to see him at the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
I like Ziggy Hood more than Raji.
In what way will the two of them even play the same role in a defense?

Ziggy Hood is a 4-3 UT in the pro game, a 3-4 DE. Raji can play NT in either front.

And no, Raji really is on an entirely different tier than Hood who compares much better with say, Brace.

As for Curry, he's the flat out best player in this draft in my opinion. Hands down #1 talent. Passing on him is like passing on Calvin Johnson the year before last. He's a guy you find a role for. He also won't even get close to the #12 spot short of a miracle.

If we were to draft at #12 based entirely on talent and BPA then the best thing we could hope to have happen, short of something totally unrealistic like Curry falling to us, would be hoping on Malcolm Jenkins sliding into our laps. He's an athletic talent at the CB position on par with Champ, pairing the two together for a couple years would all but assure us that he'd realize much if not all of his full potential and keep our CBs at a top notch level even after Champ hangs it up.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I just don't see us going CB in the first. We need line help 1st and foremost. Unless we trade Champ, this is a DT/LB pick.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Curry would be a slam dunk there. No questions asked, you take the sure thing.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I just don't see us going CB in the first. We need line help 1st and foremost. Unless we trade Champ, this is a DT/LB pick.
It could happen, and dont be suprised if it doesnt. Quality CBs can be a nightmare to find and keep, and Champ is just not the same player he once was. In a way we have Shanny to thank for that. Over-used him, and made him play outta position a little too much. Its not the age, its the mileage.
Disclaimer: I love Champ Bailey as much as the next fan! OK!??! But getting a quality CB and looking toward the future of the franchise is wise.
If DEN aquired a NT, a LB and a S in FA, or a combination of 2, i could see DEN taking Jenkins without hesitation.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I have a massive man crush on Curry, he has EVERYthing you want in a LB.

I do agree that Raji may be more of an upgrade, but the athleticism, motor, instincts, tackling and leadership on Curry are just too good to pass up if he falls.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

I think our pick will be between Jenkins, Raji, and Everett Brown with Tyson Jackson and William Moore as wildcards if they work out well.

Obviously workouts always change the landscape of the draft quite a bit....more than they should.

Curry would have to injure himself to fall to 12...pipe dream.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
In what way will the two of them even play the same role in a defense?

Ziggy Hood is a 4-3 UT in the pro game, a 3-4 DE. Raji can play NT in either front.

And no, Raji really is on an entirely different tier than Hood who compares much better with say, Brace.

As for Curry, he's the flat out best player in this draft in my opinion. Hands down #1 talent. Passing on him is like passing on Calvin Johnson the year before last. He's a guy you find a role for. He also won't even get close to the #12 spot short of a miracle.

If we were to draft at #12 based entirely on talent and BPA then the best thing we could hope to have happen, short of something totally unrealistic like Curry falling to us, would be hoping on Malcolm Jenkins sliding into our laps. He's an athletic talent at the CB position on par with Champ, pairing the two together for a couple years would all but assure us that he'd realize much if not all of his full potential and keep our CBs at a top notch level even after Champ hangs it up.
I see Ziggy Hood as a Ratliff/Ferguson Player. Both Play NT. I am not that caught up in the 25lb weight difference. Ziggy could put on the 25lbs that Raji is carrying in a summer of Dairy Queen. I like him as a football player, he pushes the pile and does not get moved easily.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I do not want to draft a player because its our biggest weakness . We have tons of needs so BPA is best way to go.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I do not want to draft a player because its our biggest weakness . We have tons of needs so BPA is best way to go.
I would just ammend that to BPA on defense...especially somewhere in the front 7
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I am a BPA guy, but offense is not a need and CB and Safety are not likely at that pick. That kind of handcuffs you a little bit on the BPA front. It has to be DT, MLB, DE in that order.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I see Ziggy Hood as a Ratliff/Ferguson Player. Both Play NT. I am not that caught up in the 25lb weight difference. Ziggy could put on the 25lbs that Raji is carrying in a summer of Dairy Queen. I like him as a football player, he pushes the pile and does not get moved easily.
And that 25 pounds of Dairy Queen weight wouldn't be worth anything. Also, Hood has put on over 40 pounds since entering college, its entirely possible his frame is tapped out from a size standpoint.

I like Ziggy Hood, kinda have to living in St. Louis as most people here are Mizzou crazy, but he strikes me as a hell of a lot better fit as a 3-4 DE than a NT. He's a good athlete, explosive, and a shown a lot of talent for getting penetration on the inside. Asking him to just fill gaps and drive back the LOS is using him for something he isn't ideally suited for while at the same time wasting his potential at what he is suited for.

I'd love to see us pick up Ziggy Hood with our 2nd round pick especially if we go to a 3-4 because I think teamed with Thomas on the other side and a capable NT we'd have a very effective front line that could legitimately be expected to generate pressure without much LB assistance. You do that and a whole world of possibilities open up to you for play calling and scheming. But he isn't a top 15 pick, Raji is, and Raji has the size and functional strength to be a very good NT in the NFL.

I've said it on this board though, you don't take BJ Raji at #12 if you want to run a straight 3-4. He's got too diverse a skill set for that, much like Haloti Ngata. You need to let him get up field and penetrate from time to time or you're only getting half his real value. If we run a hybrid I'd love getting Raji, I'd even really like him as the NT to pair with Thomas at UT in a 4-3, but in the 3-4 as a straight NT he's over picking for skills you won't use. We'd be better off with Brace or another big mound in the later rounds.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
And that 25 pounds of Dairy Queen weight wouldn't be worth anything. Also, Hood has put on over 40 pounds since entering college, its entirely possible his frame is tapped out from a size standpoint.

I like Ziggy Hood, kinda have to living in St. Louis as most people here are Mizzou crazy, but he strikes me as a hell of a lot better fit as a 3-4 DE than a NT. He's a good athlete, explosive, and a shown a lot of talent for getting penetration on the inside. Asking him to just fill gaps and drive back the LOS is using him for something he isn't ideally suited for while at the same time wasting his potential at what he is suited for.

I'd love to see us pick up Ziggy Hood with our 2nd round pick especially if we go to a 3-4 because I think teamed with Thomas on the other side and a capable NT we'd have a very effective front line that could legitimately be expected to generate pressure without much LB assistance. You do that and a whole world of possibilities open up to you for play calling and scheming. But he isn't a top 15 pick, Raji is, and Raji has the size and functional strength to be a very good NT in the NFL.

I've said it on this board though, you don't take BJ Raji at #12 if you want to run a straight 3-4. He's got too diverse a skill set for that, much like Haloti Ngata. You need to let him get up field and penetrate from time to time or you're only getting half his real value. If we run a hybrid I'd love getting Raji, I'd even really like him as the NT to pair with Thomas at UT in a 4-3, but in the 3-4 as a straight NT he's over picking for skills you won't use. We'd be better off with Brace or another big mound in the later rounds.
This is partly why I had us also taking Brace in my Ides of January mock. With Brace, you could actually move Raji out to DE when its advantageous to do so. Having Brace, theoretically, gives you that kind of flexibility. Also, the way NE has run the 3-4 is by having 2 gappers along the LOS. Not all 3-4 teams do this. So, by picking Brace, we might have the best 2 two-gappers in the draft.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I would just ammend that to BPA on defense...especially somewhere in the front 7
TY for the ammend yeah I mean't D.

I will say though if we are pretty active in FA I could see a skill player on O drafted in top 2 rounds.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:

It sounds like this is going to be great problem to have. I think with Nolan we will be able to run the Hy-brid, 3-4 scheme. I don't know if he is as athletic as Ngata, but I hope he comes to denver and surprises us.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
I'd take a BJ right about now
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I'd take a BJ right about now
you read my mind.

I was thinking about the threads the day of the Draft.

Denver misses out on BJ

Denver Passes on BJ

McD first order of business: BJ
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:

I was not thinking of Ziggy as a top 15 pick. I was thinking with our 2nd rounder. I just don't like Raji at 12. I would prefer a player who is not as risky. Raji seems to be too much boom or bust. I want a solid low bust potential pick.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I was not thinking of Ziggy as a top 15 pick. I was thinking with our 2nd rounder. I just don't like Raji at 12. I would prefer a player who is not as risky. Raji seems to be too much boom or bust. I want a solid low bust potential pick.
Beanie Wells
lex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: