The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Prayers for Willis McGahee...

It broke my heart to see McGahee on the ground like that. I don't usually choke up watching football, especially around my friends, but I found my throat getting a little dry watching this guy getting blown up, especially a cheap shot like that. I thought about his family, what his mother, or father, or brother, or wife, or child might think watching that - how they must feel. It affected me.

It really made me think about how I felt about the NFL changing those rules, and making it tough on the safeties. It gives me an appreciation for rule changes.

In any case, I just wanted to post some well wishes for McGahee to recover fully. You'll be in my prayers Willis.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I too hope Willis recovers, but I disagree about the hit. I don't think it was a dirty hit, and the announcers (who are usually quick to jump on helmet to helmet hits) seemed to share that sentiment.

But regardless, best wishes to Willis.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
I too hope Willis recovers, but I disagree about the hit. I don't think it was a dirty hit, and the announcers (who are usually quick to jump on helmet to helmet hits) seemed to share that sentiment.

But regardless, best wishes to Willis.
Ditto...

From what they said on the telecast he had movement in all his extremities. FWIW that is a good sign.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

To me, this is exactly the kind of hit that they make the rule for. He led with the crown of his helmet, and earholed him with the top of his head.

Look at this video at 50 seconds in. It's definitely helmet to helmet:

I don't know that it was his intention to hit him H2H. But that's what happened. I'll bet he feels terrible. I feel bad for him too...
Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

50k fine at least. Thats textbook illegal
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Still gotta disagree with ya TJ. At 55 seconds it looks pretty clear that the side of the Steeler player's helmet was where the impact to the head originated, while the Steeler player's shoulder hit McGahee first.

And as the announcers said, helmet to helmet rule does not apply to open field runners, just defenseless receivers and quarterbacks in the pocket.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Nfl networks team was calling it H2h , and i agree ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
50k fine at least. Thats textbook illegal
See above. I don't think this one will get fined.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Still gotta disagree with ya TJ. At 55 seconds it looks pretty clear that the side of the Steeler player's helmet was where the impact to the head originated, while the Steeler player's shoulder hit McGahee first.
I guess we'll agree to disagree... But we can both agree that we wish it didn't happen.

Quote:
And as the announcers said, helmet to helmet rule does not apply to open field runners, just defenseless receivers and quarterbacks in the pocket.
He had just caught the ball and was turning up field.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Absolutely agree with the thread, and my prayers go out to him.

I'm not 100% sure it looked illegal. It seemed like he led with his shoulder and forearm with his head more to the side, and the ball-carrier lowered his head and they made (unfortunate) perfect contact.

That said, I'm no expert on the rules regarding hits in that situation. Simms said it was a legal hit. But, maybe he's wrong.

Doesn't matter... I just hope the guy is O.K..
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

any news on how he is ? I looked around and can't find much of a update .

It is pretty bad when NFL.com doesn't even have anything anywhere on it on the front page . Not even over on the right where they have headlines , even tho there is other injury news from today on the front page .
Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I guess we'll agree to disagree... But we can both agree that we wish it didn't happen.
Amen.

Quote:
He had just caught the ball and was turning up field.
He caught the ball and had already started running up field when he got hit. Certainly not defenseless, and you can even see him lower his shoulder for the impact.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

I too send my thoughts to McGahee. However, the hit was 100% legal as the rule states. There is no such thing as helmet to helmet when the offensive player is ruled to be a ball carrier. That is what McGahee was ruled as on that play, a ball carrier. That right there is the issue, the fine line that exists between when a receiver is "defenseless" and when the receiver is deemed a "ball carrier". It takes me back to when Lynch had a hit on Dallas Clark in the 2004 Regular season game against the Colts. Had Clark had one more foot on the ground then the hit would have been legal. They ruled it incomplete, thus Lynch was penalized. However, earlier in the season Lynch laid an equally devastating hit on Jesse Chatman of the Chargers. The difference was that Chatman took a hand off and Lynch destroyed him.

It is too fine a line and these players are moving way to fast to know when the receiver is going to be ruled defenseless or a ball carrier. If anything it should be something that can be reviewed by instant replay.

The silver lining in all of this is that these players have the best medical people on scene to deal with these injuries as we saw with Kevin Everett of the Bills last year.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
any news on how he is ? I looked around and can't find much of a update .

It is pretty bad when NFL.com doesn't even have anything anywhere on it on the front page . Not even over on the right where they have headlines , even tho there is other injury news from today on the front page .
NFLN just ran a line saying he will stay overnight in the hospital due to a possible neck injury sustained from a hit by Ryan Clark.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

It was a very scary injury... hopefully Willis makes a full recovery.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
TheDave
Sauced...

Hate to sound like an old fart but if you got rid of the helmets and significantly shrunk up the shoulder pads you would get rid of a lot of these injuries.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

I agree. This is my least favorite part of the game.
It was not an illegal. No way.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
NFLN just ran a line saying he will stay overnight in the hospital due to a possible neck injury sustained from a hit by Ryan Clark.
Ty...
Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Hate to sound like an old fart but if you got rid of the helmets and significantly shrunk up the shoulder pads you would get rid of a lot of these injuries.

I don't think the players union would ever go for that. I doubt they agree with this line of reasoning.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #20
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Ty...
Not much but it was all I could find also.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #21
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
I don't think the players union would ever go for that. I doubt they agree with this line of reasoning.
yea i think that would be like saying there would be a lot less head trauma deaths on bikes if we made them take off the helmets so they would slow down and be more careful , they would play the game at the same speed and with guys that big you take a elbow to the head and it might kill you ...
Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
I know it would never happen, it would cut down on the "Big Hits" way too much. My reasoning behind this is that with all this padding these guys are comfortable becoming a human missle... get rid of some of the padding and collisions tend to turn into tackles (see rugby or Australian rules football)

Regardless, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, It's just my opinion... Best wishes to McGahee

Last edited by TheDave; 01-18-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #23
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

PITTSBURGH (TICKER) —Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee was hospitalized Sunday night after absorbing a jarring hit late in the latter stages of the AFC championship game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

McGahee was carted off the field late in the game after a helmet-to-helmet hit involving Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

After laying on the field for several minutes, McGahee was strapped to a cart and brought to the locker room, where it was announced that he had movement in his arms and legs, but was suffering from extreme neck pain.

McGahee later was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, where doctors said he is “neurologically intact.” He is expected to remain hospitalized overnight.

McGahee rushed for 60 yards and two touchdowns in the Ravens’ 23-14 loss to Pittsburgh.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #24
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee was carted off the field Sunday after taking a hard hit to the helmet by Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark.

The Ravens said he had “significant neck pain” but movement in his arms and legs.

McGahee caught a pass and took two steps before Clark stopped him with a helmet-to-helmet hit. McGahee’s neck snapped back and he immediately dropped to the ground.

He lay motionless for several minutes before being lifted onto a stretcher and taken away on a cart. McGahee clasped hands with teammate Ed Reed before he was taken off the field.

The play occurred with 3:29 left in Pittsburgh’s 23-14 victory.

“It was a heck of a hit, for one thing,” Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said. “Your first thought is obviously concern for Willis. Once we got out there, and hearing the doctors talk and see him move around, you felt like it was going to be OK. Both sides obviously had concerns, but we were happy it was not immediately serious at that point.”

Dozens of players gathered around McGahee and Clark, both of whom were floored on the play.

“We hope that Willis is OK,” Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “We’re keeping him in our prayers. I know how scary that is. I started getting a little emotional when I saw him down there and the cart was coming out. That’s the nature of this rivalry.”

McGahee scored both Baltimore touchdowns and finished with 60 yards rushing, most by anyone on either team.

The hit also left Clark groggy. He had a dazed look as he wobbled off the field, his arms draped around a pair of Steelers staffers.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I hope he's ok, it was a sad end to an extraordinary day of football.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote