The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default 1/18/09 Updated Broncos Coaching Roster

As a reference. If McDaniels fills out his staff as New England did, the Broncos won't carry any assistant position coaches. Also, it's likely Matt McCoy will carry the title of QB Coach.

Head Coach: Josh McDaniels

Offensive Coordinator: Matt McCoy
Quarterbacks Coach: TBD
Running Backs Coach: Bobby Turner
Wide Receivers Coach: Adam Gase
Tight Ends Coach: TBD
Offensive Line Coach: Rick Dennison

Defensive Coordinator: Mike Nolan
Defensive Line Coach: TBD
Linebackers Coach: TBD
Defensive Backs Coach: TBD

Special Teams Coordinator: Mike Priefer

Strength and Conditioning Coach: Rich Tuten
Assistant Strength and Conditioning: Greg Saporta
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!

Oh its true

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
As a reference. If McDaniels fills out his staff as New England did, the Broncos won't carry any assistant position coaches. Also, it's likely Matt McCoy will carry the title of QB Coach.

D@mn that TBD coach is going to be a busy man
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
D@mn that TBD coach is going to be a busy man
HAHA, well he does have a lot of work cut out for him trying to fix this defense..
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Good thread, montrose ... let's keep it up to date
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Any word about McDermott from philly is he still a possibilty to add to the team?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Any word about McDermott from philly is he still a possibilty to add to the team?
I was thinking the same thing when they showed him on the sideline today. But now Philly would have to give him permission since Nolan is the DC he won't be getting promoted in Denver.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Is Ed Donatell coming in to be the DB coach in Denver?
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'm hopeful somehow Bates stays on as the QB coach.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm getting over Bates. I'd love for him to stay, but it's not like McDaniels doesn't know what he's doing should Bates (or McDaniels) choose to move on.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm getting over Bates. I'd love for him to stay, but it's not like McDaniels doesn't know what he's doing should Bates (or McDaniels) choose to move on.
That's not entirely my area of concern.

How much time will a rookie headcoach have to devote on one-on-one time with Jay?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That's not entirely my area of concern.

How much time will a rookie headcoach have to devote on one-on-one time with Jay?
He'll probably spend more than he should his first year because he'll be teaching his system and still do things like an O coordinator. Bates is good, but McDaniels system is more QB friendly. Jay is going to love the ability to make calls at the line like he did in College. We need to see who the next QB coach is before we freak out, though.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

If cassel can win 11 games with mcdaniels, Cutler should be able to do the same thing,,, maybe? I know it all relies on our defense.

Was I the only one yesterday drooling at the Ravens and Pittsburg defenses. They freakin swarm to the ball like maniacs
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
If cassel can win 11 games with mcdaniels, Cutler should be able to do the same thing,,, maybe? I know it all relies on our defense.

Was I the only one yesterday drooling at the Ravens and Pittsburg defenses. They freakin swarm to the ball like maniacs
You should. Those are the best defenses in the league. It would be unrealistic to expect that next year, though.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
You should. Those are the best defenses in the league. It would be unrealistic to expect that next year, though.
Mid season! I better see Ravenesque defense by midseason or FIRE THE WHOLE STAFF!!!

Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Quote:
I know, but it made me so damn jealous. Both of those offenses are so boring, their only jobs are to manage the game, becuase they're defense is going to keep them in it everytime! Man I wish we had that.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #16
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Mid season! I better see Ravenesque defense by midseason or FIRE THE WHOLE STAFF!!!

Dude, this is the Orangemane. If Denver doesn't that level by the end of preseason, then number of thread calling for Defense coaches heads will be about 100. I am sure that Popps 100 years of sitting and watching football on TV will be able to tell the coaches why they suck too.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #17
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing too. I would kill to have that type of a defense. Let me ask you this: What type of an immediate impact could Polamalu make on our defense? I think he'd be incredibly valuable.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I was thinking the same thing too. I would kill to have that type of a defense. Let me ask you this: What type of an immediate impact could Polamalu make on our defense? I think he'd be incredibly valuable.
He'd make an incredible impact. One thing to consider is that if we had those types of defenses, there's no way we could have our offense long term - it would be impossible to afford that type of talent on both sides of the ball. Pittsburgh and Baltimore decided to spend their resources on defense and then do what they could to field a competent offense. Denver has taken the opposite approach for years and with the young nucleus of this team entirely on the offensive side of the ball, it's likely to continue. Our hope has to be finding a formula like Arizona has used this year or Indy in 2006, having a top offense and getting our defense to middle-of-the-pack status where it can at least create some turnovers. If we can get our running game going to the point where we're scoring TD's instead of FG's, and our defense finishes in the middle of the league in ppg and turnovers - we'll be a very competitive team.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

So far, I'm underwhelmed.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #20
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Source: Capers to sign with Packers Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy's new defensive coordinator will be Dom Capers. A source familiar with the search process said Sunday night that McCarthy and Capers had reached an agreement on a new deal that would bring the longtime defensive coordinator and former head coach to Green Bay. Capers made himself known with a 3-4 defense, but he has worked with other defenses as well and probably will employ a hybrid 3/4 - 4/3 defense. This past season, Capers was a special assistant with the New England Patriots, coaching mostly in the secondary. Capers was the fourth of four prominent defensive coaches to interview with McCarthy. He visited Friday night and Saturday with McCarthy and then agreed to a new deal Sunday night. Terms of the agreement are not known. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel)
(Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Quote:
He'd make an incredible impact. One thing to consider is that if we had those types of defenses, there's no way we could have our offense long term - it would be impossible to afford that type of talent on both sides of the ball. Pittsburgh and Baltimore decided to spend their resources on defense and then do what they could to field a competent offense. Denver has taken the opposite approach for years and with the young nucleus of this team entirely on the offensive side of the ball, it's likely to continue. Our hope has to be finding a formula like Arizona has used this year or Indy in 2006, having a top offense and getting our defense to middle-of-the-pack status where it can at least create some turnovers. If we can get our running game going to the point where we're scoring TD's instead of FG's, and our defense finishes in the middle of the league in ppg and turnovers - we'll be a very competitive team.
Very True, however we do have a lot of money tied up on defense i.e Champ, Dre, and DJ, and some lame FA's we all agree on. Our problem is that we paid the wrong guys. We spent so much money on Champ's incompetent brother Boss, Niko Koutiv-I-suck, and big D-Rob on the D-Line, and Dre I'm getting to old and am over-paid. These guys ate/eat up a lot of money on the defensive side.

If we had spent our money wisely we could have asily had the "middle -of-the-pack" defense you're talking about, and probably been a threat to the rest of the NFL instead of a nuisance. Even if we had just spent our money on one key guy, like a polamalu, or someone of his caliber, we would've been in the running. We have to draft at least one key guy (you know who) and sign one key FA or nothing will change on the D-side of the ball
Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I still don't know why we got rid of Jedd Fisch (our old receivers coach)........
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #23
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
the Broncos won't carry any assistant position coaches.
This is one thing that I will think will be addition by subtraction. I know Wabbit commented on it sometime during the 2007 season that we had a very large coaching staff and that it's possible some players were getting conflicting coaching or something to that effect. Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that.

I'm hoping that a more simplified coaching staff will allow the players to spend less time thinking and more time playing.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Coming back to those D's, there are three positions that I really am jealous over: NT, MLB and S. Those seem to be the major parts to their Ds. I am uncertain s to how Denver is going to get those parts, but they need them bad. My guess is that FA is going to determine how the Denver draft goes, maybe this year more so than in the past .......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote