The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Needs according to PFW

1. DE

2. DT

3. S

I cut out the reasons, they are largely what we already know, we do not get enough pressure, turnovers and we suck against the run.

I think this is the first time ever I agree with their assessment of our needs. I think, have been thinking for a while that DE is our biggest need, no matter if we stay in 4-3 or move to 3-4. We need a big guy or two who can play on all downs and create space as well as close down the running lanes.

As for DT, this is more a need if we move to 3-4 than if we stay with the 4-3. I am not unhappy with the play of Robertson and Thomas, but they shouldn't be playing together, they are both 1-gappers who get chewed up fighting off 3 interior linemen. If we go to 3-4 it is vital that we get a big NG, if we stay in the 4-3 we still need a big body to occupy blockers and clog lanes, but it is not as vital.

Safety is obviously a huge need and seems to the be need everybody agrees on. Fact is right now we don't have a single starting quality player at this position. Our run defense suffers because of this, since our linebackers can't be as aggressive as they should be for fear that if they miss the runner is going in for 6. Our pass defense really suffers because we have to be so conservative, we can't cover people so our rushers do not have enough time to get to the QB, the linebackers and cornerbacks can't try to jump routes because if they miss the play is going for 6.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Hallside
Solid Starter

John Fox is Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
1. DE

2. DT

3. S

I cut out the reasons, they are largely what we already know, we do not get enough pressure, turnovers and we suck against the run.

I think this is the first time ever I agree with their assessment of our needs. I think, have been thinking for a while that DE is our biggest need, no matter if we stay in 4-3 or move to 3-4. We need a big guy or two who can play on all downs and create space as well as close down the running lanes.

As for DT, this is more a need if we move to 3-4 than if we stay with the 4-3. I am not unhappy with the play of Robertson and Thomas, but they shouldn't be playing together, they are both 1-gappers who get chewed up fighting off 3 interior linemen. If we go to 3-4 it is vital that we get a big NG, if we stay in the 4-3 we still need a big body to occupy blockers and clog lanes, but it is not as vital.

Safety is obviously a huge need and seems to the be need everybody agrees on. Fact is right now we don't have a single starting quality player at this position. Our run defense suffers because of this, since our linebackers can't be as aggressive as they should be for fear that if they miss the runner is going in for 6. Our pass defense really suffers because we have to be so conservative, we can't cover people so our rushers do not have enough time to get to the QB, the linebackers and cornerbacks can't try to jump routes because if they miss the play is going for 6.
Yeah, I think their saying DT is probably a reference to a 3-4 NT. In a 4-3, our DT's are fine, unless it turns out we'd really owe DRob a gazillion dollars for another year.

I'd say S is our weakest position. Does that make it our biggest need? Without Taylor Mays, I'm not as excited about the #12 pick. That would have been nice.
Hallside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
driver
Pro Bowler

Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
1. DE

2. DT

3. S

You/ve got it neither Moss or Dumervil can hold on the edge agaainst the run and both of them crash inside and don't hold for the cutback or reverse. they bth have to go!
driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: