The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
NHAggie
Just Drafted
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5
Default Gase as WR coach

This information from Press Democrat (a newspaper in california?)

In other news, 49ers offensive assistant Adam Gase has accepted a position with the Denver Broncos as wide receivers coach, said a source close to Gase.


New Denver coach Josh McDaniels received permission from the 49ers this week to interview Gase, came to the 49ers after three seasons with the Lions. Gase was responsible for calling in the 49ers' offensive plays to the quarterbacks.

(bronco since 1960...
NHAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,513

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Another branch from the Nick Saban tree.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Wow the Lions and 49er's. He sure has accomplished alot! Mickey-D is sounding more and more like a young Shanahan....making sure to hire position coaches that are going to do as he says and only as he says.

Who the hell is this guy?
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead
 
MechanicalBull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,797
Default

Boy did he make the 49ers a good wr corps or what?
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,760
Default

Bet you he's from Ohio.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

meh...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,760
Default

Bad news - He was brought over to SF by Mad Matriz


As expected, the 49ers officially made Ted Tollner the team's quarterbacks coach today. Tollner has the additional title of "assistant to the head coach," which likely means Mike Nolan will frequently consult the veteran assistant throughout the year. The 49ers also hired Adam Gase as offensive assistant. Gase, 29, was offensive quality control coach under Mike Martz in Detroit in 2006 before moving up to quarterbacks coach last year. He will help install Martz's offense in San Francisco. The 49ers have not yet hired a running backs coach although Wilbert Montgomery is belived to be the leading candidate.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/010272.html
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

nintendo offense here we come...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
nintendo offense here we come...
Sweet we finally be able to go 6 WR like Mock wanted for a long time!
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Wow the Lions and 49er's. He sure has accomplished alot! Mickey-D is sounding more and more like a young Shanahan....making sure to hire position coaches that are going to do as he says and only as he says.

Who the hell is this guy?
Yes because it is widely known that a WR Coach will completely make or break such terrific teams like the Lions and Niners of the last few years



If the worst McDaniels turns out to be is a young Shanahan...then who ****ing cares?

My God people
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
backup qb
Ring of Famer
 
backup qb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Shelbyville,Il
Posts: 1,291
Default

Man, I can't believe he would want HIS assistants to do what he wants. Man, the nerve!!!
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,304
Default

Anything over 24 points is not football. It is Arena League.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Borks147
the dude abides...
 
Borks147's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hanover NH
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
Man, I can't believe he would want HIS assistants to do what he wants. Man, the nerve!!!
also, bringing in Nolan and retaining old timers like Turner and Dennison make this theory complete and utter bull****.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Ninjatime
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 149

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I was actually very dissappointed with out recievers this year. Watching other teams with recievers than run wide open off of cuts etc. Ours ALWAYS were covered, on every play. I don't know why this was, if it was bad routes or schemes or what, but I am very happy for the change.
Ninjatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
nintendo offense here we come...
Offense draft then
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
jhat01
Ring of Famer
 
jhat01's Avatar
 
Knuckle Dragging Homer

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West River
Posts: 1,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatime View Post
I was actually very dissappointed with out recievers this year. Watching other teams with recievers than run wide open off of cuts etc. Ours ALWAYS were covered, on every play. I don't know why this was, if it was bad routes or schemes or what, but I am very happy for the change.
Me too..aside from a hand full of blown coverage plays. Our guys seemed to be covered a lot. Probably had something to do with the running game too though
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Domostick
Training Camp Junkie!
 
Wrath of Khan

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westminster
Posts: 107

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

All three of our receivers were below average in DVOA which helps explain Cutlers high DYAR, ranked 5th even though his stats weren't as good as Rivers' and Manning's.

Royal was ranked 46th in DVOA and 32nd in DYAR.
Marshall was 58th and 48th.
Stokley was 55th and 58th.
Scheffler was 6th and 11th respectively and you could definitely tell the difference when he was in there catching those 25 yarders down the seam. Our offense was much more explosive especially in the redzone.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr
Domostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,470

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
Yes because it is widely known that a WR Coach will completely make or break such terrific teams like the Lions and Niners of the last few years



If the worst McDaniels turns out to be is a young Shanahan...then who ****ing cares?

My God people
You don't think they are right? McDaniels has been an offensive coordinator for 3 years, guided the most successful offense in the history of the NFL, so naturally he'll do whatever his WR coach says. The new WR coach is CLEARLY the master of the offense now, i think we'd be lucky if he even keeps McDaniels on the staff.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

We got rid of Jedd Fisch for a 49er/Lion...

EDIT:

Found out why we got him.

He worked on Nick Saban's Michigan State team during the same time McDaniels was there.

This is entirely a hire based on a past friendship.

"Between 1996 and 1999, Gase earned a degree at Michigan State University where he also served as a student assistant for the Spartans’ football program then led by Saban."

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=356


McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.c...hbio&bio=24595

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 01-17-2009 at 12:41 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
This is entirely a hire based on a past friendship.
Which is exactly what makes perfect sense. I'd much prefer a HC hire assistants that he knows well instead of those he can only rely on interviews to judge their worthiness.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
rovolution
Ring of Famer
 
rovolution's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 2,945

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
Me too..aside from a hand full of blown coverage plays. Our guys seemed to be covered a lot. Probably had something to do with the running game too though
or Jays tendency to stare down targets
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #22
Rocky Mountain Stampede
Solid Starter
 
Rocky Mountain Stampede's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
We got rid of Jedd Fisch for a 49er/Lion...

EDIT:

Found out why we got him.

He worked on Nick Saban's Michigan State team during the same time McDaniels was there.

This is entirely a hire based on a past friendship.

"Between 1996 and 1999, Gase earned a degree at Michigan State University where he also served as a student assistant for the Spartans’ football program then led by Saban."

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=356


McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.c...hbio&bio=24595
Nice find. Another great example of "it's not what you know, it's who you know".
Rocky Mountain Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #23
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Sweet we finally be able to go 6 WR like Mock wanted for a long time!
I remember a couple years ago at camp, when the O was running its goalline offense....there was one play when they actually went empty backfield even though they were like on the 3 yard line. Khan and I immediately thought of Mock.
__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Which is exactly what makes perfect sense. I'd much prefer a HC hire assistants that he knows well instead of those he can only rely on interviews to judge their worthiness.
Yet when Shanahan did that half this place was up in arms.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #25
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Once again, this speaks more of McDaniels than anything.

He is picking guys he has firm control over.

Whatever his plan is, it looks like it will be installed without any coaches having a power play. I'm fine with this, although I liked what Fisch did last year.

Eddie Royal got open last year because he was fast. Brandon got extra yards because he is big and competitive. Scheffler did great because he is also a fast TE with good hands. Jim Goodman is more responsible for our passing game than Gase will be...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Denver Broncos