The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Jeremy Bates' Fate: Why the Broncos Should Be Careful

Now that the frenzy of new head coach Josh McDaniels has died down, the Denver Broncos have decisions to make regarding their assistant coaches. They should be very careful with how they handle quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates.

Bates joined the Denver Broncos in 2006, the same year that quarterback Jay Cutler was a rookie on the team. In the 2008 season, Bates took over the offensive playcalling duties and the offense prospered, rising to second in the NFL.

Now there have been reports that Bates is interviewing with the Oakland Raiders for the offensive coordinator position. McDaniels has already made it clear that he will be calling plays in 2009. It is likely that Bates wants to continue calling plays, whether or not it is for the Broncos.

The problem in all this lies with Jay Cutler. The 25-year-old had developed an extremely strong relationship with his quarterbacks coach and had lobbied hard for the Broncos to retain him in 2009.

If Bates should leave, Cutler will be extremely disappointed. Cutler is known as someone who expresses his views, even if they conflict with the team's. He criticized the decision to fire Mike Shanahan, and would undoubtedly make his voice heard if Bates takes another job.

Bates is one of the rising stars in the world of NFL offenses. He developed a series of plays that made the most of Jay Cutler's strengths, such as throwing out of the pocket. He led Cutler to a 4,500 yard season and made Jay a pro-bowler.

If Denver manages to retain him, he would most likely move up to the offensive coordinator position. Although McDaniels wants to call the plays, he should seriously consider sitting down with Bates and talking over the future.

The best scenario for the team would be a partnership between the two, with Bates and McDaniels coming up with plays together, although it would be Josh's voice in Jay's helmet.

Bates would contribute his knowledge of the current team to help get Josh up to speed, and he would continue his development of the bootleg passes for Cutler. McDaniels would contribute his knowledge of passing from the pocket, something Tom Brady was extremely good at.

Aside from coaching duties, Bates would continue to "hang out" with Cutler and be his mentor and friend in the locker room. It is important to have a quarterback (and offensive team captain) who is in high spirits all the time, and Bates has helped Jay do that in the past two seasons.

McDaniels figures to improve the offense, which means the Broncos would be the No. 1 offense in the NFL next season. Having another brilliant young offensive mind by his side as he does it would make the 2009 Broncos one of the best-coached offenses in NFL history.

Think about it, Josh!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...uld-be-careful
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I was never sold on Bates
If Cutler has a problem with it, screw'em, he isn't bigger than the team
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

OR, Cutler could grow up and realize this is a business.

Good-bye Bates
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
Now that the frenzy of new head coach Josh McDaniels has died down, the Denver Broncos have decisions to make regarding their assistant coaches. They should be very careful with how they handle quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates.

Bates joined the Denver Broncos in 2006, the same year that quarterback Jay Cutler was a rookie on the team. In the 2008 season, Bates took over the offensive playcalling duties and the offense prospered, rising to second in the NFL.

Now there have been reports that Bates is interviewing with the Oakland Raiders for the offensive coordinator position. McDaniels has already made it clear that he will be calling plays in 2009. It is likely that Bates wants to continue calling plays, whether or not it is for the Broncos.

The problem in all this lies with Jay Cutler. The 25-year-old had developed an extremely strong relationship with his quarterbacks coach and had lobbied hard for the Broncos to retain him in 2009.

If Bates should leave, Cutler will be extremely disappointed. Cutler is known as someone who expresses his views, even if they conflict with the team's. He criticized the decision to fire Mike Shanahan, and would undoubtedly make his voice heard if Bates takes another job.

Bates is one of the rising stars in the world of NFL offenses. He developed a series of plays that made the most of Jay Cutler's strengths, such as throwing out of the pocket. He led Cutler to a 4,500 yard season and made Jay a pro-bowler.

If Denver manages to retain him, he would most likely move up to the offensive coordinator position. Although McDaniels wants to call the plays, he should seriously consider sitting down with Bates and talking over the future.

The best scenario for the team would be a partnership between the two, with Bates and McDaniels coming up with plays together, although it would be Josh's voice in Jay's helmet.

Bates would contribute his knowledge of the current team to help get Josh up to speed, and he would continue his development of the bootleg passes for Cutler. McDaniels would contribute his knowledge of passing from the pocket, something Tom Brady was extremely good at.

Aside from coaching duties, Bates would continue to "hang out" with Cutler and be his mentor and friend in the locker room. It is important to have a quarterback (and offensive team captain) who is in high spirits all the time, and Bates has helped Jay do that in the past two seasons.

McDaniels figures to improve the offense, which means the Broncos would be the No. 1 offense in the NFL next season. Having another brilliant young offensive mind by his side as he does it would make the 2009 Broncos one of the best-coached offenses in NFL history.

Think about it, Josh!

stopped reading there....if that is the case, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Jay.

I really wish people would stop writing this crap. How do they know if Jay may prefer McDaniels offense to Bates?
Ray Finkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Cutler is a pro that wants to win I'm not worried.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

I can't wait for McDaniels to tell Cutler to shut up and pay attention, and check down to the guy that isn't double covered. Maybe he should make him throw left-handed for the first hour of practice so that he can learn how to read defenses and take what is given.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Jay6Cutler
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Jay needs to learn how to make better decisions. I would get rid of Bates just to prove a point that point would be I McDaniel’s run the team not jay
Jay6Cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Rocky Mountain Stampede
Solid Starter

Anything posted from the bleacher report is not thread worthy.
Rocky Mountain Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Cutler and McD also had a lively and excited conversation. If Bates goes Cutler will soon realize that he actually just got an upgrade in QB coach and Coordinator.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Wait and see. I want results, Bates was his friend, but this is a business.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Think about it, Josh!

I bolded everything I thought was interesting in this article.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't know about you folks...but I have zero loyalty to Mickey-D. He's a kid who just got the world handled to him. Hey, I hope he's the real deal. But, before I see that...I'm in Jay's corner.

Jay Cutler is the future of this team (period). He's going into this 4th year...his most important year...IMO. And, what happens...his world is turned upside down. Shanny is fired...and the entire coaching staff is up in the air...this after they fininshed up 2nd in the league in offense. So, is Jay a little pissed? Hell, I would be. Yeah, that's life...but it's still a hell of a punch in the gut...to a kid who was just starting to hit his stride.

Will Jay pull through...yeah...but I'm sure he'd like to have some sort of a security blanket. Mickey-D could meet with Bates...tell him that he wants him to learn his offense and that he will be able to contribute to it. Then let him know that in 2009...he will be calling the shots...and if Bates picks things up quickly and they are on the same page etc...then Bates will have the oppurtunity to start calling the plays again...perhaps in 2010.

That's the route I would take. Why? Because Mickey-D needs to coach the entire team...not just the Offense...and as the coach...he needs to show enough leadership...that he can coach Bates up and groom him to be a headcoach too. I think this approach would go along way to building team chemistry. Just my thinking!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
In the 2008 season, Bates took over the offensive playcalling duties and the offense prospered, rising to second in the NFL.
The same offense that was 16th in scoring despite being #2 in yards? Prospered? Not quite the word I would have used.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know why you guys get all huffy about Jay expressing his opinions to the media.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

WTF? Are we suddenly living in Emo-world? If Cutler doesn't like it, I'm sure he will be adult enough to know that's the way the business goes and move on.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Don't forget that Jay is also a part of the business and does, or should, have a say. Call it a "business" all you want, but if keeping Bates around is good for Jay then that's a good "business move" if I say so myself.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I don't know about you folks...but I have zero loyalty to Mickey-D. He's a kid who just got the world handled to him.

Couldn't the same be said about Jay Cutler? Shanny handed Jay everything, let the kids ego grow, fans proclaimed him the second coming of ELWAY, he's a rockstar in Denver.

Yet he hasn't won ****, he's shown immature actions, a lack of composure at times and almost as a sense of entitlement about him.

I like the kid, he's my quarterback, I support my quarterback, I support my head coach. But more important I love my team.

There was a Denver BRONCOS before Shanny,before Jay and there will be after.

Only one man stands eqaul with this franchise and he made this franchise. 7
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
I don't know about you folks...but I have zero loyalty to Mickey-D. He's a kid who just got the world handled to him. Hey, I hope he's the real deal. But, before I see that...I'm in Jay's corner.

Jay Cutler is the future of this team (period). He's going into this 4th year...his most important year...IMO. And, what happens...his world is turned upside down. Shanny is fired...and the entire coaching staff is up in the air...this after they fininshed up 2nd in the league in offense. So, is Jay a little pissed? Hell, I would be. Yeah, that's life...but it's still a hell of a punch in the gut...to a kid who was just starting to hit his stride.

Will Jay pull through...yeah...but I'm sure he'd like to have some sort of a security blanket. Mickey-D could meet with Bates...tell him that he wants him to learn his offense and that he will be able to contribute to it. Then let him know that in 2009...he will be calling the shots...and if Bates picks things up quickly and they are on the same page etc...then Bates will have the oppurtunity to start calling the plays again...perhaps in 2010.

That's the route I would take. Why? Because Mickey-D needs to coach the entire team...not just the Offense...and as the coach...he needs to show enough leadership...that he can coach Bates up and groom him to be a headcoach too. I think this approach would go along way to building team chemistry. Just my thinking!
Who cares no player is bigger than the team. See the great ones play through changes and adversity, see Elway and the coaching changes with his favorite coaching leaving for a while as proof.

Its sad one people will cater to Cutler because he is the QB. If wants to go and be a b**** then he isn't worth wasting time on.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Who cares no player is bigger than the team. See the great ones play through changes and adversity, see Elway and the coaching changes with his favorite coaching leaving for a while as proof.

Its sad one people will cater to Cutler because he is the QB. If wants to go and be a b**** then he isn't worth wasting time on.
QFFT!!!!
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

"Keep Jeremy Bates or else Jay will pout."

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
"Keep Jeremy Bates or else Jay will pout more than he normally does."

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Its not about loyalty. Jay Cutler is an employee of the Broncos, owned by Pat Bowlen. Pat Bowlen has seen fit to hire Josh McDaniels to be Jay Cutler's boss.

Cutler's job is to do what his boss (Josh McDaniels) wants, end of story.

And McDaniels didn't "just get the world handed to him". He's earned it. I love how people act like he hasn't done **** but wanted Spagnuolo. I like Spags' resume but he's only been a coordinator for 2 years, McDaniels has been a coordinator for 3, and was calling the plays a year before that. His resume is more accomplished than anyone else we interviewed, just because he's 32 doesn't mean he isn't the single most deserving person for the job.

Quote:

Easily the most stupid part of the entire half-witted article.

Josh McDaniels has been breaking down team talent for a good while now and despite nearly constant turnover in his four years as offensive play caller in NE he always made the most of it. I don't think he needs Jeremy Bates to tell him how to utilize our players.

And the last thing Cutler needs is an official team sponsored pal to "hang out" with. He's an employee of the Broncos, his private life is his own. If he can't show up amped to just be a highly talented QB in the NFL with a chance at being great then he doesn't have the mental make up to cut it in this league, coddling coaches or not.

Thankfully I think Cutler has more stones and gray matter than the people who write these articles attribute to him. He knows McDaniels has put together high powered offenses with a whole lot less talent than we've got right now and he damn sure doesn't need a binky in the form of a positional coach to make him feel secure. He wants to win and he'll do what it takes to do just that.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Think about it, Josh!

I would love to see it.. I'm a bronco fan for life but when you mess with something that isn't broken. Prepare for the blow back. Of course thats just me guessing it could go either way. We could all of a sudden be the #1 offense in the NFL. But how many of you really without the tainted orange shades believe thats going to happen?
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

It's sad to watch OMers gobbling up media carrots like this.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It's sad to watch OMers gobbling up media carrots like this.
Its not even a "media" carrot. Its just bleacher report. Thats like saying the **** I squeeze from my ass is chocolate mouse simply because its brown.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote