The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Interview with Bill Belichick on Josh McDaniels

Exclusive: Belichick on McDaniels

DenverBroncos.com had an exclusive interview with New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick on Thursday. He talked about Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels and how he believes he will adapt to his new position.

On McDaniels' leadership style...
"Well Josh is a real smart guy, he's very competent and confident, and I think that comes across in his presentation to the team or play-calling or game-planning or anything like that. He's got self confidence, good judgment and he conveys that very well."

What has impressed you most about McDaniels?
"He's smart, he's creative and he's flexible. He can handle a lot of different situations quickly and he makes good decisions under pressure. He makes good, quick judgments and when you're a play-caller, you're coaching during the game, you don't have a lot of time to sit around and think about it, you've got to be able to react quickly and be prepared for those situations so when they come up you know what to do. He's done a great job on all of those things."

On McDaniels coaching both offense and defense...
"I personally think that's invaluable, to know how they think on the other side of the ball. Also when you're the head coach to be able to go into a defensive meeting or an offensive meeting, whatever the case might be, and give your input and get things the way that you want them or you feel like they need to be if there's a problem. I think that's a great advantage and I believe Josh will be able to do that. He's a very well-rounded coach. He's been around football his whole life and he's handled a lot of different situations -- players, coaches, offense, defense, strategy, all those things. It's all good."

On McDaniels' relationship with Tom Brady...
"I think it's a good player-coach relationship. I think there's a lot of mutual respect there, and like any coach and quarterback they formed kind of a special tight bond, and I think that Tom and Josh have done that."

How instrumental was McDaniels in Matt Cassel's development in 2008?
"Of course I think he played a significant role in it. I think Matt did a great job as a player of stepping up and improving his game on a weekly basis, and Josh did a great job on his end as the coach of helping Matt get better and calling plays and game-planning things that facilitated good execution by Matt. Then also instructing Matt on some of the things that he needed to work and improve on, and Matt did his part as a player of taking that coaching. I think they worked hand-in-hand, and they both complemented each other very well."

How will McDaniels' relationships with Brady and Cassel translate to a relationship with Jay Cutler?
"I think you learn from everything you do, but at the same time each coach treats players differently. I'm sure that Josh's relationship with Cutler will be different than his with Cassel just like his relationship with Cassel is a little bit different than his with Brady. But I think you learn from all of them, and there's certainly carry-over, but each player has his own style and his own strength. I think Josh is again flexible and creative enough to adapt to those, whether it be Brady or Cassel or Cutler or whoever it is."

On if there was a moment he realized McDaniels would be a head coach...
"Whether an assistant coach becomes a head coach or not, that's a decision that's made by another organization and another owner or general manager, whoever is making the decision. So I don't really think too much about what everybody else is doing. But there were definitely a lot of times when I've been impressed with the way Josh has handled a game or handled a situation or called plays. That's from the fast starts we got off to against Denver or Arizona or Oakland, or the way that the team came back against the Jets and took them into overtime, scored on the next-to-last play of the game to tie it up -- times like that. Josh has got a long resume of doing a great job. I think he's shown it many times -- he's really showed it week after week."

On playing against McDaniels and the Broncos in 2009...
"Sure, it will be different, but we've been through that quite a bit since I've been here -- coaches leaving and going somewhere else and seeing them later on. It could be Romeo Crennel going to the Browns, or now Josh going to Denver. Yeah, it's a little bit different, but I think you see a lot of that in the NFL these days. Players going from one team to another and then you're going against them, like Daniel Graham. It's something that I think you get used to in the NFL because it's not like it was 20 years ago where that was a lot more unusual than it is today. The way the game is now, it's pretty common."
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Well, I hope it's real and not hype. I hope he leads us to VICTORY!
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

No talk about hoodies?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
But there were definitely a lot of times when I've been impressed with the way Josh has handled a game or handled a situation or called plays. That's from the fast starts we got off to against Denver or Arizona or Oakland, or the way that the team came back against the Jets and took them into overtime, scored on the next-to-last play of the game to tie it up -- times like that. Josh has got a long resume of doing a great job. I think he's shown it many times -- he's really showed it week after week."
Talk about a bad memory. Hey Bill, even after the Broncos turned the ball over three times, your offense still only managed 6 pts after the first quarter and a half of play.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
DB Doom
super villian

check out the big brain on Brad...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

he's a cheater...does this make McDaniels a cheater?
DB Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
On playing against McDaniels and the Broncos in 2009...
"Sure, it will be different, but we've been through that quite a bit since I've been here -- coaches leaving and going somewhere else and seeing them later on. It could be Romeo Crennel going to the Browns, or now Josh going to Denver.
Belichick: "Oh and there was that other guy... what's his name? Ummmm, ummm..."

Reporter: "Mangini?"

Belichick: "No, it was something like that though... ummm, Man... Mann..."

Reporter: "Fat guy, used to be your offensive coordinator?"

Belichick: "Yeah... that guy... God, what was his name?"

Reporter: "Eric Mangini."

Belichick: "Noooo, that's not quite it, it was.. it was... oh, yeah, **** Face. That's right: Coach **** Face.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Doom View Post
he's a cheater...does this make McDaniels a cheater?
Nope he wasn't the boss bill was.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Belichick: "Oh and there was that other guy... what's his name? Ummmm, ummm..."

Reporter: "Mangini?"

Belichick: "No, it was something like that though... ummm, Man... Mann..."

Reporter: "Fat guy, used to be your offensive coordinator?"

Belichick: "Yeah... that guy... God, what was his name?"

Reporter: "Eric Mangini."

Belichick: "Noooo, that's not quite it, it was.. it was... oh, yeah, **** Face. That's right: Coach **** Face.
Mangini was a D coordinator.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote