The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Your first Broncos game?

I was going through my closet last night and I ran into some old photos, and found a set that included my first Broncos game. It was 1995 - a Broncos vs. Seahawks game in Seattle. It was so awesome because back then, there were just as many Broncos fans in the Kingdome as there were Seahawks fans. The key play that game that I remember the most - was when the Seahawks had Elway to a sure sack, but he ducked, stood back up, and threw a touchdown strike to Shannon Sharpe. That was such a wild play live because it looked like Elway had surely been sacked there. It was like the guy just passed through him! I'm still dissapointed that the Seahawks are no longer in our division. This trip had become a yearly tradition for me and my wife. We haven't missed a Broncos/Seahawks game since then in Seattle - only now they're very rare.

My first Broncos game in Denver was definitely special. My dad bought us tickets to see the Broncos host the Jaguars in the Old Mile High Stadium. We weren't in the South Stands, but we were in the South end of the stadium. The game was great, but the special parts were that Terrell Davis had broken 1k in that game (it was mid-to-late October), the fastest a Bronco has ever gotten to 1k in yardage... And even more special, I got to see Elam kick that amazing 62 yard record kick. That was especially wild because of the crowd - the whole stadium was upset that the Broncos weren't going to air it out and go for a last second touchdown strike before the half ended. People started to get up and head for the bathrooms - suddenly the PA announcer booms "this is to break the NFL record - a 62 yard attempt." Suddenly, everybody stops. The entire stadium falls silent - you could hear a pin drop. Watching that kick sail THAT far live and in person was so incredible. And when that ball sailed through the uprights with at least 10 more yards to spare, the entire stadium went into nirvana. I still get electricity up my spine just thinking about it.

Anybody else remember their first Broncos experiences? What happened on the field that you'll never forget? Those two moments will be imprinted on my memory forever, like they just happened yesterday.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

my first game in Denver was at old Mile High the crowd was so rowdy and loud the whole stadium shook and the field was blurry it was fuggin awsome even though they lost to KC
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

My first Broncos game was this past season.....at New England....October 20, 2008.

It sucked....one of our worst performances of the year. But Beantown and I stayed until the end.....

I was so pumped before the game.....and so deflated as each minute of the game wore on....
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

My dad brought me to the Pats-Broncos playoff game in '86. I don't remember much about the game, but I know we sat on the lower level in the west stands. Man, I loved that place.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Hmmm, my first one was in the 92 season in Mile High. Broncos/Chargers. Probably most famous for that diving catch Shannon Sharpe made in the corner of the south endzone. Remember that? Also, a tight end named Rod Bernstine ran through our D so effectively, we decided to sign him the next season.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

My first Broncos game ever was a Chiefs game in Arrowhead. I believe it was 1992 or 1993. I actually had pretty good seats, as my dad was able to snag them through business connections. I remember being so close that I thought the players could hear me. We kicked off to start the game and I yelled "FUMBLE!" at the Chiefs. They actually fumbled the kickoff (just as I called it)... Some drunk Chiefs fan wanted to fight me for wearing an Elway jersey. His wife calmed him down, but it was funny that I was able to get somebody riled up like that...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Not that long ago for me, it was Plummer's first game and we played @ Cinci. It was the typical game for years to come, Plummer stunk up the field but we won. Ian Gold had a sweet TD.

Best game I've been to was @ Buffalo last year with Elam's fireman drill FG.

Worst game was our season opener @ Miami in 2005 when we embarrassed ourselves before going on like a 12 game win streak.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

I don't remember the year but it was at the old mile high vs. Seahawks. I got to watch my first NBA gae that weekend, too. Spurs vs. Nuggets back when the Nuggets stunk big time. They won the game though as did the Broncos. Most memorable game would have to be playoff game against the Pats. Still undefeated in games I attend!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Mine was a preseason game vs the 49ers I sat in the eye of the bronco in new mile high. It was a yawner but still my first game.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Monday November 20th, 1989

Monday Night Football in RFK!! Man that stadium could be crazy. It was fun even if you weren't a Redskin fan.

Paid $150, which was an arm & and a leg to me back then....and Elway got stomach flu or something and was a scratch. Pissed!

It was all good though, we won 14-10 with Kubiak under center.

After the game me and my friend hung out by the team bus. I got to shake Elway's hand and some rookie named Atwater talked to us for about 30 minutes in the drizzling rain before hopping on the bus with the others.

Gotta say it was a good day.....
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

this year against jax. sucked.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Alkazar
NPN Mascott

Bronco's Thunder

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steph Alexander

Hmm, first actual game was in 1978 or so, The Broncos were playing the Houston Oilers, I was in Junior Acheivement in high school and we were parking cars at old Mile High, after we finished parking everyone, we got to sneak in and watch the game, Broncos lost. First game I attended as a paying customer? My older brother and I went to a scab game against the Raiders in '86 or '87 (can't remember which was the player's strike year). The most memorable play though was a cheap shot by the Faiders, our best WR, Steve Watson, went deep and Elway threw to him, one of the defenders made a legal hit and stood him up but then a second came in and speared him from behind and cracked 13 of his ribs, all right in front of a ref and no flag......hated the Faid ever since. .

Last edited by Alkazar; 01-16-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Alkazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
theedge111
Rookie

My first game was 2002 in Seattle, Broncos killed the Hawks 31-9, the entire Broncos side of the stadium were Broncos fans so it was like a home game, we even had the in-com-plet chant going.

My buddy and I drove down from Edmonton, AB Canada to the game, it was so cool that we decided to drive off to Denver for the Colts game (sunday nighter in the snow) the following week. We lost that game in OT, but it was still an incredible experience! We drove close to 4500 miles round trip and made some friends for life in Denver!!

I've been to one home and one away game every year since!
theedge111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

1980 Preseason at the Meadowlands against the New York Giants. Craig Morton was hated in New York, cause in his last year there in 1976, he gave the crowd the finger a few times.

So whenever his name was read stated over the PA, there were loud boos.

We lost 9-6; typical Red Miller Dogmeat Offense game. Norris Weese threw our only TD to Emery Moorehead, who later became the starting TE for the 85 Bears. Jim Turner lissed the extra point and sealed his fate as Red Miller cut him in favor of Fred Steinfort.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkazar View Post
Hmm, first actual game was in 1978 or so, The Broncos were playing the Houston Oilers, I was in Junior Acheivement in high school and we were parking cars at old Mile High, after we finished parking everyone, we got to sneak in and watch the game, Broncos lost. First game I attended as a paying customer? My older brother and I went to a scab game against the Raiders in '86 or '87 (can't remember which was the player's strike year). The most memorable play though was a cheap shot by the Faiders, our best WR (his first name is Steve but for the life of me I can't remember his last name right now) went deep and Elway threw to him, one of the defenders made a legal hit and stood him up but then a second came in and speared him from behind and cracked 13 of his ribs, all right in front of a ref and no flag......hated the Faid ever since.

that was Steve Watson....
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkazar View Post
Hmm, first actual game was in 1978 or so, The Broncos were playing the Houston Oilers, I was in Junior Acheivement in high school and we were parking cars at old Mile High, after we finished parking everyone, we got to sneak in and watch the game, Broncos lost. First game I attended as a paying customer? My older brother and I went to a scab game against the Raiders in '86 or '87 (can't remember which was the player's strike year). The most memorable play though was a cheap shot by the Faiders, our best WR (his first name is Steve but for the life of me I can't remember his last name right now) went deep and Elway threw to him, one of the defenders made a legal hit and stood him up but then a second came in and speared him from behind and cracked 13 of his ribs, all right in front of a ref and no flag......hated the Faid ever since.
Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you re-jog some memories.

We lost to the Oilers only once at home, back then, and it was in 1980. Earl Campbell steamrolled Steve Foley in that game.

Elway didn't play in the scab game in '87. A diude named Ken Karcher threw to Steve Watson, who busted 6 ribs, and essentially finished his career. Typical of Watson, he caught the ball as we rolled to victory in the "Joe Dudek Bowl".
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #17
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

First game ever
October 22, 2000 @ Cincinnati

Corey Dillion game... at the time... single game rushing record.

First game at Denver
October 13, 2002 @ Denver... Olindo Mare kicks a 50+ with seconds left.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
B-Love
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
First game ever
October 22, 2000 @ Cincinnati

Corey Dillion game... at the time... single game rushing record.

First game at Denver
October 13, 2002 @ Denver... Olindo Mare kicks a 50+ with seconds left.
Heav, great avatar. That is the uniform that made me mad for the Broncos back in the day.

Few of the people here ever saw the darker Red-Orange jersies with the darker royal blue helmet combo we wore only until the end of the 1977 season. But that uni combo ruled the planet!! I have that poster and it so damn cool.

Instead, most people here only remember the shimy shiny orange that Elway wore with the Sky Blue colored helmet. That helmet was gay and sucked.

Bring back the Dark Royal Blue helmet!!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Broncos v. Chiefs in 2005, what a game. We forced a fumble at the goal line, and then went on to score a td that drive. Went into OT and because we won on the first drive I didnt miss my flight!!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #20
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Honestly, I don't remember my first Broncos game. I am lucky enough that both sides of my family have had tickets since the 60's. I started attending games when I was around 10, so I have been going to games since 1987. I loved sitting in the South Stands with my Grandpa. We knew everyone around us, it was truly like a Bronco family. I have attended every game from the 1999 season to present.

Good memories:
89 AFC Championship crushing the Browns
Elway vs Montana 1994 MNF game. A loss but an unreal game
1995 vs Chargers - first time I can recall the Broncos running the ball to close out the game. I think TD had 12 straight runs. I knew then that he was going to be the man
1997 Revenge playoff game against Jax, all the regular season games
1998 Elams 63 yarder, TD going over 2,000 against the seahawks, Elway going over 50,000, all the playoff games

Bad Memories
1987 Strike game against Raiders. Steve Watson was my favorite player and he got his ribs broken in that game.
1996 Jax playoff game
2005 AFC Championship
2006 vs San Fran
2008 vs Bills
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

My first Bronco game was actually before I was a Bronco fan. Denver was playing SF in Mile High, I think this was actually before John Elway too, I was really young. Denver lost the game (it was a night game, early 80s, possibly 79, some of you older farts might remember?) and my experience was merely that I ran up and down the stadium because it was fun.

I actually got lost and found my way back to the truck and hid in the bed of the truck until dad came out to the car freaking out cuz he didnt know where I was.

My first game as a Bronco fan was actually out in Jokeland. In fact, my next 5 games were in Oakland and in SF (1 there, the other four in Oakland).

Then I saw them twice in pre-season against Houston in Houston, once in the regular season against Houston, once in New Orleans, and twice this year in Denver.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

October 22, 1973...and I was 14. in what will always be known as "Orange Monday", Denver's first Monday Night Football game ever...against the hated and despised Raiders. It ended in a 23-23 tie. Mile High only seated 50,000 but the place was so loud it was literally impossible to hear yourself screaming. The stands shook so violently it seemed like they'd collapse at any moment. It was the Raiders hey-day...Stabler & Co...but even though it was a tie it felt like a win because we came from behind late.

I believe tickets were priced at $4.40, $5.50, $6.60, $7.70 and $8.80...something like that anyway. My dad and I had 40 yard line seats about 30 rows up from the field...perfect. Nobody'd ever heard of steroids and waiting impatiently for the Denver Post every night around 5:30...I don't recall ever reading anything but good stuff about the team even when they were losing.

The good old days really were...
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #23
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

The drive II - playoff game vs Houston. Elway driving the length of the field, with some key scrambles, and hitting Vance Johnson on the sideline for a big game. I remember we were in the front row of the upper deck, so the view was amazing. I never thought crowds could be that loud...I still get an adrenaline rush thinking about it.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #24
Stormontheplains
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andre Hall

My first game was Sunday December 30th 1984. It was elways first playoff game. Tickets were steeler side 33 rows up on the 40 yard line. That loser Louie Lipps put them ahead on a long touchdown catch. What I remember the most were people booing elway for a horrible 4th quarter, and the fights that started by the south stands, and then up the hill to parking lot a steelers fan tapped on a trunk, this guy gets out of the car and 1 punch ko's him. One of the 5 best days of my life. Still have the ticket
Stormontheplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Old Mile High Stadium. Halloween against the Vikings. I remember a few fights after game. We lost. Booooo. I think it might have been October of 1999.

Last edited by Peoples Champ; 01-16-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote